Sign in to follow this  
robert(uk)

Will Vehicles Have Gears?

It has been so long since I played OFP, and I can't remember if vehicles had proper gears or not. Was there some sort of option so that you could enable them if you wanted? The reason I ask is because I have been playing World War 2 Online recently, and I love the driving in that game because it is so realistic. Perhaps if there aren't realistic gears for vehicles, could someone mod them, or is that way too much coding?

OFP had gears, but it was an automatic transmission. If you listen to the engine sound you can hear it shifting. I'd second wanting to have realistic physics for ground vehicles, but I'm not so sure the majority of OFP gamers would concur.

Well most people want realism so i doubt people would say no to realistic vehicle behavior.

The only thing I´d really like to see is AI using the revers gear for more than just making funny circle tries smile_o.gif

Especially for cutscenes scriptable gear selection would be nice, along with a directional command that somewhat disables AI object detection and just makes it drive with a certain gear into a certain direction, no matter what. I just feel like killing AI whenever you try to setup a cutscene where the AI is supposed to drive through a narrow passage with some objects or units along the passage. It´s lime Mr. Bean is driving sometimes. I hope we get more possibilities there. Stupid AI can be a benefit sometimes smile_o.gif

Who doesn´t dream of intentional accidents or kamikaze runs with boobytrapped cars. Right now impossible as the AI will carefully avoid any contact smile_o.gif

Right now impossible as the AI will carefully avoid any contact  smile_o.gif

Unless of course, they're behind the wheel of a bus.

It's like something right out of the movie Speed, maybe they think that if they slow down they'll explode, cause I've never seen an AI bus yield to anything other than a building - forcibly.

Bus vs Trabbi on one road is nice. I had it in one of my missions with traffic. A Trabbi regularely went on the same road as the bus. Both were driving up to each other. Most of the times the Trabbi decided to get away from the road and drove over a hill and took a slope of at least 2 km´s before he went back to road. He must have known the busdriver smile_o.gif

This didn´t only happen once in a while. It happened almost all the time the Trabbi met the bus. Sometimes of course the bus just crashed the Trabbi.

I guess it´s a man´s thing, maybe I should have used a female AI for the busdriver job...no wait...she still would be be busy in the parkinglot biggrin_o.gif

What would be even better would be that trucks cars ,etc. can't drive offroad too well, right now they drive offroad as if it was pavement which makes roads pretty useless. A few punctures and getting stuck in ditches offroad would be nice and would finally give crossroads and infrastructure more role then a grey line you can oriont yourself to.

Try driving offroad in OFP:E..if they kept similar stuff then if in a civilian vehicle your NOT going to want to get offroad unless meant for it,belive me...I even had a bit of trouble with the speed of a Ural >.<. And yeah I agree with the AI thing..your supposed to make this nice cutscene with say..a tank comming out of a base between two walls,and instead winds up bringing down a or both entry walls.

What would be even better would be that trucks cars ,etc. can't drive offroad too well, right now they drive offroad as if it was pavement which makes roads pretty useless. A few punctures and getting stuck in ditches offroad would be nice and would finally give crossroads and infrastructure more role then a grey line you can oriont yourself to.

Eh? Roads improve the speed of all vehicles in OFP. Going offroad makes it all bumpy and slows you down. So the system is already there.

True but in civilian vehicles in OFP:E you come to a near halt,I don't remember them getting quite that bad..not all vehicles slow down on offroad though,my jeep wrangler in OFP (self made) doesn't have this issue...course it kind has UAZ attributes,not sure if that would have to do with it..but if that fixes it then great.

Try driving offroad in OFP:E..if they kept similar stuff then if in a civilian vehicle your NOT going to want to get offroad unless meant for it,belive me...I even had a bit of trouble with the speed of a Ural >.<. And yeah I agree with the AI thing..your supposed to make this nice cutscene with say..a tank comming out of a base between two walls,and instead winds up bringing down a or both entry walls.

That's just due to OFPs realism smile_o.gif

It happens in RL too, it was not the entire wall just the concertina at the gate here. But when you drive big heavy vehicles accidents will happen.

It would be very cool if you actually get stuck when you go offroad.

Oh man..that would suck,yet be pretty realistic. Maybe Game2,I wouldnt figure in AA..there would have to be..hell I duno how the terrain works so I couldn't say,but interesting idea there.

Never really noticed that civie vehicles got THAT slow irl,then again I'v mostly seen the offroad types >.<

It would be awesome if you can shift gears like in the Screamer 4x4 game. Thats the best shifting ever. You need to use the clutch to get moving, and between every gear. and your engine stops if you have the wrong gear, or dont use the clutch.

Omg, driving woud be so damn good if BIS can get their hands onthe Screamer 4x4 driving model xmas_o.gif

I know it may be too much, but the OFP driving is horrible vs that. Imagine you try to drive up a hill, but you start to spin, and lose traction. You might fall of a cliff and damage ur car (and yourself)

Oh and the way screamer 4x4 handles bushes and little trees is super too. You can drive up a bush, but you have the chance you get stuck in it, and have to reverse to get out of it.

It worth trying the demo :here

Hehehe, I kind of like that idea, but I dont think Bis would do this wink_o.gif . Imagine having a heavy truck with over fourteen gears... *gulp* tounge2.gif

Also, I wonder how you can simulate accurate clutch control though... not everybody has (for instance) a mousewheel (let alone foot pedals wink_o.gif )

It would be awesome if you can shift gears like in the Screamer 4x4 game. Thats the best shifting ever. You need to use the clutch to get moving, and between every gear. and your engine stops if you have the wrong gear, or dont use the clutch.

Omg, driving woud be so damn good if BIS can get their hands onthe Screamer 4x4 driving model xmas_o.gif

I know it may be too much, but the OFP driving is horrible vs that. Imagine you try to drive up a hill, but you start to spin, and lose traction. You might fall of a cliff and damage ur car (and yourself)

Oh and the way screamer 4x4 handles bushes and little trees is super too. You can drive up a bush, but you have the chance you get stuck in it, and have to reverse to get out of it.

It worth trying the demo :here

I second that. I used to play screemer 4x4 a lot and I imgained how nice could it be if the driving model from the game was ported to OFP. But I think that now we could only wish that it will be in game2 because the movies we've seen from ArmA don't confirm any big improvements in the area of driving model...

Can anyone confirm if the vehicle behaviour was improved in OFP:E?

I would be cool that you really have to "drive" the car, instead of just pressing some arrows

Can anyone confirm if the vehicle behaviour was improved in OFP:E?

I would be cool that you really have to "drive" the car, instead of just pressing some arrows

I don't know if the vehicle behaviour changed any, but of course with the Xbox you were using an analogue controller so there was no pushing of arrow buttons but greater control over acceleration, braking and steering.

Hehehe, I kind of like that idea, but I dont think Bis would do this  wink_o.gif . Imagine having a heavy truck with over fourteen gears...  *gulp*  tounge2.gif

Also, I wonder how you can simulate accurate clutch control though... not everybody has (for instance) a mousewheel (let alone  foot pedals wink_o.gif )

It wouldn't have to be that complicated.  All you would have to do would be to press a button to go up a gear, and press another button to go down a gear, and then have a button to go into reverse...  smile_o.gif