Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL OFP to ArmA

Congratulations lads on how far you've got with this project. Its got to be one of the greats of projects in the OFP community with what you have achieved.

I am truely very impressed with everything I saw in the video, even the video itself tounge2.gif (makes me think that you should make a training video for it tounge2.gif )

Top job. biggrin_o.gif

Great presentation Rockape, and an amazing addon. I especially like how this addon has features that are very much meant to be used, not "photographed" endlessly in the OFP Combat Photo thread, as that isn't what addons are for. I don't think I have seen the functions of an aircraft simulated in such a way in OFP before.

Very nice informative video and addon guys notworthy.gif

Definately gets OFP flying to approach the cockpits of some typical flight sims.

Bit of a shame about the "snap-to-horizontal" when transfering between forward flight and hover. No doubt some extra commands in ArmA will allow you to improve that (and more).

Keep up the great work ..... (until BIS buy you out nener.gif ) lol

Great presentation Rockape, and an amazing addon. I especially like how this addon has features that are very much meant to be used, not "photographed" endlessly in the OFP Combat Photo thread, as that isn't what addons are for. I don't think I have seen the functions of an aircraft simulated in such a way in OFP before.

QFT.

OFP.Info Mirror of the video.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Gnat @ Aug. 06 2006,13:04)]

Bit of a shame about the "snap-to-horizontal" when transfering between forward flight and hover. No doubt some extra commands in ArmA will allow you to improve that (and more).

The  "snap-to-horizontal" is unfortunately a by product of the setdir command that’s an essential part of the VTOL.  We cant find an alternative., honestly we spent quite a lot of time trying to find one.

Gnat @ Aug. 06 2006,13:04)]

Keep up the great work ..... (until BIS buy you out nener.gif ) lol

Well they are going to have to get a big fat cheque book out! :P

Seriously though I don’t think BIS are interested in this kind of detail and sophistication for their aircraft.  

But UNN and I have an idea about how to improve both the realism and accuracy of our projects and at the same time make the game-play more fun and involved.  If we pull it off it should make a series of addons simulate the true integrated digital battlefield of today’s armies.  

At first glance that sounds pretty arrogant I know but we have a plan (of sorts) but we’re going to take it one step at a time and see what happens.  We’re not making promises just making a broadly stated goal. We’re open to offers of help and collaboration.

QFT.

I’ve not idea what QFT means but thanks for the mirror!

I am truely very impressed with everything I saw in the video, even the video itself  tounge2.gif  (makes me think that you should make a training video for it  

It will be released with full instructions and a short tutorial.

and a side note

SFP mod has got a UAV which has a camera which you can  point at a certain area and it will follow that area with the camera. Would such a thing be implemented in the Harrier for simulating LGB targeting display? < Im sorry if this came up earlier in the topic... huh.gif

To be honest right now we’re concentrating on the core scripts and system.  Adding in an LGB targeting system isn’t on the project list right now.  It would just delay the release and add to the cpu load and while the Harrier does carry LGBs I cant really see the need for a funky display. it just doenst really add much to everone else's playing experience other than the pilot's. Although simulating the Laser designation pod might be something we would consider for a later feature!

QFT.

I’ve not idea what QFT means but thanks for the mirror!

It means "Quoted For Truth"

And I'm Quoting it again for truth wink_o.gif

Sweet ride, as allways Rock & UNN biggrin_o.gif

Gnat @ Aug. 06 2006,14:18)]ACES ....... ?

Read the thread - ACES has been discussed already...

Guest RKSL-Rock
Will RKLS be using the latest "ACES" addon for your weapon systems or will you be making your own version ect?

In all honesty the few remaining RKSL releases for OFP probably wont use ACES.  While i like the concept its arrived too late in the Development for the harriers etc to be practical.  Partly due to the integration issues with our script work we've already done and partly due to time.

As DM said its already been mentioned, but I just want to expand on something.  Part of the reason not to adopt ACES is that we are devleoping our own series of weapons scripts to simulate the dynamic weapon fusing, missile types etc.    EG air burst/impact/retarded GP bombs.  Cluster munitions that actually score points for the player that dropped them and Stand off Weapons that can be destroyed in flight (as they can be in real life). To do this means integrating it fully into the weapon and the aircraft. The current version ACES doesn’t do that but maybe if its carried into ArmA we would look seriously into using it assuming it doesn’t interfere with our stuff.

Gnat @ Aug. 06 2006,14:18)]ACES ....... ?

Read the thread - ACES has been discussed already...

Yes I know, but that was an attempted "pressure point", not really a question !

tounge2.gif Hoping I can badger someone else into implementing ACES, I'm looking for company once I finish my B-52 revision smile_o.gif

Very nice and informative video mate.

Was up by RAF Leuchars on my way to and from St Andrews yesterday. Spotted the HAS and other bits.

As DM said its already been mentioned, but I just want to expand on something. Part of the reason not to adopt ACES is that we are devleoping our own series of weapons scripts to simulate the dynamic weapon fusing, missile types etc.

Originally ACES was meant to include all that, but we weren't able to complete that all. I would be glad if you would like to develop these systems for ACES, since it would become a stronger and more complete tool than. At least, the hooks for such weapons scripts exist, somebody only needs to write them.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I would be glad if you would like to develop these systems for ACES, since it would become a stronger and more complete tool than. At least, the hooks for such weapons scripts exist, somebody only needs to write them.

I dont want this thread to devleop into a another "lets adopt/discuss ACES" topic but lets see what happens when we've finished the first phase of development.  At which point we can take a look to see if ACES is compatible with our methods of weapon and script activation.

I dont want this thread to devleop into a another "lets adopt/discuss ACES" topic but lets see what happens when we've finished the first phase of development. At which point we can take a look to see if ACES is compatible with our methods of weapon and script activation.

It wasn't some try to force you to something, mere a suggestion between freaks wink_o.gif

Just go on with whatever you like. I appreciate your work!

nice video, i only have one question on the engine heat thing, as i remembered that someone said it cause by the engine starts sucking downward hot air from the nozzels which bounce back from the ground into it and cause the engine to stall, and it always happened on very low AGL, but will it get the same story as much when on a higher AGL?

Guest RKSL-Rock
I appreciate your work!

That’s good to know.  I’ll post more about the weapons stuff when we have something to show.

nice video, i only have one question on the engine heat thing, as i remembered that someone said it cause by the engine starts sucking downward hot air from the nozzels which bounce back from the ground into it and cause the engine to stall, and it always happened on very low AGL, but will it get the same story as much when on a higher AGL?

I take it you mean the re-ingestion of hot exhaust gases causing a “pop stall�

We haven’t simulated that effect in this version.  As for the real thing, you only get re-ingestion at below ~50ft and adding water into the engine during a hover drastically reduces the likelihood of a pop stall as it cools the gases entering the engine and increases the amount of thrust available.  So  above 50ft at cool ambient temps it’s not an issue.  However in places like Afghanistan where they are already at high altitudes with high ambient temps before take off it then becomes a more common problem.  Which is why VTOL is used sparingly and STOL regimes are used instead

But going back to what UNN said before:

This started out as an experiment, so getting a working version was the main priority. Now the concept is proven, a much more sophisticated\efficient system is being planned for Arma, utilising all the new features Arma will provide.

The Harrier’s OFP release is best described as a “Working prototypeâ€.  We aren’t modelling every single feature and foible of the Harrier for the first release.  We do plan to develop the scripting and features when ArmA arrives so we can exploit the new engine.  For myself I still have a long list of things I’d like to cram into the Harrier to increase the realism but we are still trying to refine the addon to have the best balance of features/scripts/textures/detail vs the best performance.  

Maybe ArmA will allow us to simulate degradation of engine performance at altitude, Hot gas ingestion, and various system failures…I have a lot of ideas.  The question UNN and I face is; are they really worth developing? Are they going to add to the playability or affect the performance adversely?  We are still debating some points within the team so stick around and we’ll let you know what we come up with.

lol well i hope all goes well and as planned. Sounds like a great project.

also everytime i see you have a differnt sig lol, at first i thought it was just me, do you changed it everytime you come on or is it automated to change? tounge2.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

also everytime i see you have a differnt sig lol, at first i thought it was just me, do you changed it everytime you come on or is it automated to change?  tounge2.gif

Thanks.

Yes the sig banners are all 'automated'. They change on each resfresh of the page. Each one is a pic of an RKSL project.

also everytime i see you have a differnt sig lol, at first i thought it was just me, do you changed it everytime you come on or is it automated to change? tounge2.gif

Thanks.

Yes the sig banners are all 'automated'. They change on each resfresh of the page. Each one is a pic of an RKSL project.

Sorry for the offtopicness, but how do you do that?

Guest RKSL-Rock

also everytime i see you have a differnt sig lol, at first i thought it was just me, do you changed it everytime you come on or is it automated to change?  tounge2.gif

Thanks.

Sorry for the offtopicness, but how do you do that?

Its done via a PHP code and some webspace and a .htaccess file. if you want to know more PM me.

Very nice and informative video mate.

Was up by RAF Leuchars on my way to and from St Andrews yesterday. Spotted the HAS and other bits.

Looking Niiiice!

Yeah not hard to miss the HAS at Leuchars from the Gaurdbridge-St Andrews road. You get a better view though walking round the back of the base through tentsmuir forest though. Infact you see most of the base from that road except for the Armoury and some other areas.

heya just wondering if u had any plans to make pilots for all these wonderful creations of urs?

bootneckofficer

p.s brilliant vid by the way can u be my pilot when i next go on holiday? biggrin_o.gif

thx for the reply, one last thing about the "snap-to-horizontal" thing, it is ok for me, but seeing it stop insteadly from 100 to 0 is still kind of wired, is that anything link to the air speed? it would look nice if the air speed could be lower to, say, 50?