Sign in to follow this  
Dangus

AI Behavior Complaints Discussion(ABCD)

This is a thread for discussion of AI, and how OFP fails, and succeeds. Let me start.

OFP fails:

1) AI infantry soldiers have too high of situational awareness at long range, and fire too accurately at those ranges. If you are 500 yards away, the only reason they ever miss you is because their guns are not accurate enough. Their aim is always dead on.

2) AI soldiers sometimes have no situational awareness, like when mounted in the gunner position of the M113(you practically have to be within 20 feet to get them to see the enemy)

3) AI awareness of you mounting a vehicle is absurd. In some missions I jumped in a vehicle with no enemies within LOS and instantly all of Kolgujev get beserk and attacked me. Helicopters, tanks, BMPs, infantry, all converged on my position. Another time, the enemy patrol was going up a hill, I mounted one of those 50cal standing death traps and just aimed at them. None of them were looking my way before I mounted, but the instant I got in it they all turned toward me and killed me.

4) AI soldiers only fire when they know where you are. This is unrealistic. In one rather absurd mission, Sniper Team, I was on a hill in a bush and killed 75% of the personel in the enemy base. None of them could see me since I was in a bush, so none fired. IRL, all hell woulda rained down upon me and the rest of the hillside for that matter. Soldiers in real life will often start firing, just to spam an area in hopes of catching the enemy. They should just fire around in the general area where you are at.

Things OFP does right:

1) AI hits the dirt. This is still fairly buggy, but it's a step in the right direction. AI should take cover more when they can though. In general though, AI squads react moderately well to being attacked.

2) AI tries to flank you. I have been killed a suprising number of times by some AI bastard who ran 500 yards to the right of my target area, and crawled all the way up the hill behind me and then snuck right up to my bush and popped me. This is very cool.

3) AI commanders seem to assign targets well based on what your troop type happens to be. Tells AT soldiers to attack tanks, tells snipers to snipe, etc.

4) AI uses grenades. Granted they are way more accurate than they should be with them, but they use them at appropriate times, few games have AI that can use grenades well.

5) AI can be ordered to scavenge. Very cool, very realistic.

AI commanders also seem to give targets based on the threat of the target, like giving tanks orders to target AT soldiers.

In helicopters, the AI has problems crashing into other choppers.

The fact that the enemy instantly knows when you're in a vehicle or mounted gun is cheap, and lessens the fun. It would be much more cool if you could steal an enemy tank from one base and head off to another base to try to try to sneak in. Once inside, you could tear it to pieces.

AI grenades never miss. And I don't mean they always just kill you, I mean they always land right at your feet no matter how far away you are.

I wish the AI was smart enough to walk or stand exactly where you place waypoints in the mission eidtor, not just the general area (they miss a lot of triggers this way, its frustrating).

All in all however, the AI does a great job for what it does. I don't usually feel cheated (unless it's one of the sitiuations above) when I die. If you keep your head down and look before you move, you can do well.

AI fails when it's pitch black, you are behind an AI squad, pop one of them in the head with your silenced HKMP5SD, and the others instantly whip round and know exactly where to start shooting.

The AI fails when tanks use Sabot rounds to fire at Infantry instead if HEAT. In fact, I've never seen an AI tank use HEAT unless I've specifically ordered it too.

Force fire would be good too, keeping the enemy pinned down instead of just standing there waiting for them to come out of cover.

Soldiers mounted on the M2 Machinegun just point at a soldier and shoot one bullet like they were using a rifle, which really pisses me off.

Enemy AI shooting skillz are too good

very hard to have firefights like in movies and force fire

I definitly don't agree with the AI should spray part.

If the AI sprays the area when they're being sniped, then they're not running around looking for you.

Right now in 1.42, they can't see where you are, but they run to where they think you are.  Most of the time, they're wrong about where they think you are.  But this is GOOD.

AI are pretty deaf.  And sort of blind.  But when they see you, you're as good as dead.

The AI in OPF are nicely done.  Yes, they're aiming is screwed up with inaccurate weapons, but that's okay.  So what if they don't know how to handle recoil.

Their senses aren't that much better than a humans.  They just seem better because most of us have tunnel vision.

The AI can see everything in front of them, while we like to focus on certain objects at a time.

When you're playing MP, how many instances does the human act differently from the AI in OPF?  Not much different.

AI don't even engage beyond 200 meters unless they're threatened.  Then they'll just spray at you, if they feel that they have no where to run.

AI have great aim, but so do us humans.  It's rare that we miss our targets.

We even hit running targets better than AI.

AI are overall better, because they're straightforward.  They run, shoot, run.

Humans like to divert their attention to certain objects, or stratagies.

I don't really know how to explain it, but the ai is too ai-computer that is. There is 'fear of death' and for this reason suppression doesn't work. IRL battles take a while and a lot of lead is flying around b/c no one wants to take time to really aim and chance to get hit. Instead they pop out of cover and fire a burst in the direction of the enemy and hide again. If a lot of fire is on their position then they just keep their head down not wanting to be hit. Now skill level would mean more than accraccy. Instead the higher the level, the more 'cool under fire' they are. Still taking time to pick targets and move around, not being pinned down by suppression fire.

COLINMAN

Some observations:

[*] AI reacts slowly to threats in the immediate surrounding; sometimes they seem to take like 5 seconds to aim at me, when i´m only 5-10m away.

They just turn in and stare at you in combat stance.

Happens to me everytime i play the "Clean Sweep" Mission.

[*] AI doesn´t use fire modes (trigger group selective rate) correctly, most of the time they seem to be in burst mode when the weapon supports it. I don´t remember seeing an AI soldier using semi auto (single shot) instead for accuracy and ammo conservation (especially when there are only a few rounds left)....except for the MG´s , there AI seems to prefer ripping of single shots sad.gif.

[*] AI A10 LGB pilots have serious problems releasing bombs on a laser designated target. The AH´s don´t have this problem though, when i´m marking a target it will be hit accordingly in short time.

[*] AI soldiers in unarmed, unarmored vehicles don´t seem to react to threats, like to get out and commence combat- or drive away..... they prefer to stay in the car instead waiting to get shot.

AI should at least have the option to spray where they think you are. I mean, how often do you see ppl acting exactly the same way under different circumstances. At least those who do are dead men.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AI reacts slowly to threats in the immediate surrounding; sometimes they seem to take like 5 seconds to aim at me, when i´m only 5-10m away.

They just turn in and stare at you in combat stance.<span id='postcolor'>

I think this slow reaction speed is due to the fact that a lightning quick AI reaction would ruin the game when you're engaging targets over longer distances. The solution to this issue would be to have the AI reaction speed depend on the distance to the target.

A10 LGB's work fine for me....although they need quite a bit of time to get a good fix on the laser target, which is acceptable IMO.

I've seen the AI use single shots, apparently when firing on targets behind partial cover (inside buildings, peeking over hilltops, etc.) But IMHO you're usually a lot more deadly when firing bursts; maybe the AI feels the same way?

My biggest gripe with the AI is that mounted infantry (be it in a car, truck or APC) doesn't immediately dismount when making contact. Instead they stay inside and become sitting ducks.

the only thing i miss is when telling them to hide and then quickly rushing forward, they dont look for cover, they just lay down in plain field just trying to catch up and taking care of the formation.

imo they should look for the next bushes or trees or whatever, like any human soldier would do before moving out.

but i can imagine that this would be really hard to code (and it would decrease the game speed)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Call me when you guys have coded all that stuff!<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, you can easily modify a lot of the AI's behaviour by scripting. To use an example from one of my earlier posts, it is trivial to create a script that forces mounted infantry out of cargo once they go into combat behaviour, then allow them to enter again when all is clear.

However, this makes mission- and author-specific AI, which is not necessarily a good solution.