Sign in to follow this  

Kolgujev Conflict

Glad to see you have started work on it again, pity you lost some stuff but im sure that won't hold you back. Good luck with it.

Thanks ScotchSoldier, and thanks again for the previous support you and a number of others gave me as I muddled thru getting the tough scripting work, it really helped alot.

I dont really expect this topic to stick around, expecially with Arma comin and me not really putting any pressure on myself for a soon release date. Would be nice to port this over to Arma, even if on a different island, see what happens.

Im sure if you release it the mission will get a lot of attention since OFP is lacking in some good missions, ceratinly would pass the time until ArmA arrives.

A ton of work has been done. Huge amount of time spent testing and removing bugs in the main 'town battle' scripts. The whole function is working.

A very skilled, and very 'knowledgeable' programmer has joined the project, ColonelSandersLite.

He has already made HUGE contributions to the mission, having solo'ed making: Helo reinforcements for town clans(which sends in helos from merchant towns to reinforce *attacking* clan groups that have taken over a town, barrage scripts that bombard towns during town battles (for use with actual stationary artillery peices), dynamic unit reduction scripts that more less show/hide town forces for lag purposes (a very complex and essential addition) - ill add here this hiding/spawning is done in a manner player WILL NOT know the difference - a very proffesional and flexable program application, Dead unit removal for lag purposes, Spawn Garrison scripts, which will (carefully) spawn a number of 'defensive' groups that are in certain positions in each town (for use if a town is taken over) - normally including some stationary gaurds, tower gaurds, a few extrerior patrols. He also spent some time creating random weather scripts, and accel time option. Ya, pretty awsome to have him on board, cause alot of this stuff may not have gotten done by me alone wink_o.gif..

There is alot more that will go into the mission, certainly no expected time to release, but there is an update here.

This mission has been on its way to being 'ported' over to Arma, unfortunately, due to relatively large amounts of lag involved with the new Arma program, this may not come to be. Personally, I run a very 'modern' computer along with a 256 mb card (3.0 Ghz dual core, 2.0 Ram), and, like most people, Arma lags with even small to medium battles with just a few platoons involved, testing is revealing even with all the measures taken to reduce lag, Arma seems currently unnacceptable for any large scale mission for most computers.

So, with all that said, focus will probably be resuming to continue the mission in Ofp. Although originally FFUR was going to be the main mod reccomended, instead eventually I may decide to go thru, and select the very best quality addons out there for various units/vehicles that would 'most' compliment this mission, and more/less convert all units/vehicles in this manner.

Of course, Bergohffs nature pack will still be reccomended, such a great enhancement it is.

This is not any sort of update pointing to a particular time of release, there is no desire to 'push' towards this at any rate, it will be complete when it gets there, and it surely will not be any time soon, but, it will not be done half way either. Even once all of CSL's applications are fully implimented in the mission, I intend to put alot more in there, sub missions, 'alive' towns,instances of 'high' quality ai to player interaction, maybe adding in convoys moving from town to town, etc.

Anyhow, just a little (actually a big) update.

C u's all around ! smile_o.gif

Special Ed

Well, heres another update..

After calming down abit after being frustrated with Arma's lag land, im seriously looking at proceeding with moving the mission into Arma.

Reasons:

Spent 3 hours in Arma and made a mock up town battle which replicates a 'standard' town battle in Kolgujev Conflict, as much as id figured it would lag all to heck, it didnt, in fact, it maintained same framerates as ive been getting (talking alot of units in both towns, and alot of units battling, including a few tanks).

I would think, assuming BIS is wanting to come thru for us all, that there will be a patch eventually that will (hopefully) considerably increase fps scores for everyone, so that larger scale missions will become more playable for lower end users.

The mission will be going into a new and (hopefully) widely used platform, rather than an older, slowly fading one. This also means even after release, additions can be made, by the creators or by users. It would have far greater longevity in Arma.

So, basically, yep, changed me mind tounge2.gif...

Kolgujev Conflict goes Arma or bust...

Hmm, wonder if this means im in the wrong topic area again...

Edit//

This will probably be the last post in this topic, as Arma transferrance will begin, eventually, at some point there may be a new post for the mission in Arma area here. Thanks again for the support from everyone wink_o.gif

moving on

Good luck with it on ArmA, hopefully you will able be able make it without a huge drop on performance.

Is there any possiblility you could do an OFP release?

Unfortunately no, its one way or the other. Once its converted over to Arma, it will be progressing on a new platform that uses new commands and new formats for scripts that Ofp doesent support.

Its pretty much already confirmed it can be done in Arma while maintaining good fps scores, with CSL's unit reduction scripts working on towns that arent in players 'load' area.