Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Morrowind

Dear All,

I am looking to buy an RPG which has been around for a bit now by the name of Morrowind. Apparently it is possible in this game to travel around living exactly as you please. I would like to know if this true and if the game is worth buying?

yes you can get it and its free roaming, i thnk play.com has it for like Å3 at the mo but its newer bigger brother is out now called oblivion, theres a thread around here somewhere about it

I would still recommend playing Morrowind, especially if you have an older computer (like me... i had to change the ini to turn off ALL lighting options to get a decent framreate), Morrowind is a great game, and imo, has a much better stroyline... plus it has two expansion packs, bloodmoon and tribunal i believe.

I'd recommend downloading the Adventurer's 3 mod (search for theLys and RPGplanet on google)

Oblivion, however, has a much more fluid control system. You can equip weapons and spells at the same time, and the power attack function is pretty good... and lockpicking has been improved immensely.. better than in thief strangely.

If you are going to play Oblivion, make sure you get the random oblivion mod, otherwise levelling is totally wrong.. I completed the game at level 13.. others have done it at level 3...

Morrowind is a good game, even after all those years.

And if graphics are important to you, don't worry about how Morrowind can look with its default graphics, there is enough user made content now to transform it to your likings.

-a screenshot with default Morrowind graphics

screen112xp.jpg

-same location and people in Morrowind, but with just 3 plugins activated

screen101ew.jpg

Morrowind is great - I'm just playing it myself, while waiting for the worst Oblivion bugs to be fixed (and my hardware to be upgraded).

It's a good game with a great story. The only thing that annoys me is the dialog system, but you have a good journal to make up for it. I haven't added any mods, but while the game's quite old the graphics are still good enough not to annoy and sometimes offer spectacular landscapes and views (especially the water and weather effects look great).

What 3 addons are you referring to?

I think you are referring to

2 of the "better clothing/bodies" mod

And besides the NPC dialog improvement mod, what other addons would you recommend for improving the original 3 parts of the Morrowind engine?

Better bodies (i use different weight and height values from the default one, as the default values give an anorexic look to the NPC, that is a bit out of place in a heroic fantasy world)

Better Heads (but i use a self modified version with the most recent headpacks released)

CanadianIce Better Robes using Nioliv mesh

Just using those 3 plugins give a superb look to the game, while having no performance impact on my now old PC

Does Morrowind use AD&D rules like Neverwinter nights or something of their own creation? I don't play much RPGs (last one being NWN while waiting for OFP:R) but I like the AD&D rules its being one of the conditions if I'd play a RPG or not.

p.s. Bladur's Gate 2 was my fav RPG ever

Does Morrowind use AD&D rules like Neverwinter nights or something of their own creation?  I don't play much RPGs (last one being NWN while waiting for OFP:R) but I like the AD&D rules its being one of the conditions if I'd play a RPG or not.

The elder scrolls rules, thats why its called

The Elder scrolls: Morrowind and The Elder scrolls: Arena/Oblivion/etc wink_o.gif

The Elder Scrolls system (at least the one of Daggerfall and Morrowind, i have no idea about Oblivion) reminds me more of the Runequest / Call of Cthulhu system that is based on % and skills than the system used in D&D.

In such system, you don't "level up" after killing X amount of monsters, but you progress in levels in Morrowind according to what kind of character (and so what kind of skills he has) you are playing, by improving their principal skills.

Thanks for the replies. smile_o.gif

It's really cool to come back to this game older and more patient than I was. Now the exploration makes a lot more sense, and it's really a rush being able to place the graphic settings up to max on my supposedly slow laptop.

This is exactly the information I was after. Thanks a bundle everyone thumbs-up.gif

It's a horrible unoptimized sack of shit.

If you're looking for the same kind of experience oblivion offers but don't have the PC to run oblivion, morrowind is a -very- poor substitute. You'd be better off playing a classic like Daggerfall.

Well, it might not be looking too good and the dialog system might be a pain in the ass, but it's a fantastic world with many, many things to explore and a good story. If you want a good alternative there's of course the Gothic series (the third part is to be released soon, too).