Sign in to follow this  
punishment

Death of the Tank Destroyer

i wonder why they scrapped large calibire weapons the germans had some armour with larger weapons than todays MBT's. What would be wrong with a 150mm round on a mbt? even though such a weapon would probably be classed as artillery.

Probably because they aren't practical. The bigger the round, the slower it is to reload. This was especially true with the older ammunition that still used traditional cases or bags of propellant. Even nowadays an autoloader would be pretty much mandatory. A 152-155mm artillery shell alone weighs somewhere around 40 kilos.

If I remember correctly, Soltam did some tests with 130mm guns on armor a couple of decades ago.

Bigger calibers are needed to move heavier projectiles, which need a slower burning propellant and a longer barrel so that the pressure doesn't get too high for the barrel. At some point it's just not practical anymore.

Just looking at that Leo with the 140mm gun (if that's truly what it is), you just know that has to be a pain in the ass to manoeuvre the tank around obstacles without hitting something and possibly damaging the barrel. They seriously need to turn it into a bullpup design.  wink_o.gif

Just looking at that Leo with the 140mm gun (if that's truly what it is), you just know that has to be a pain in the ass to manoeuvre the tank around obstacles without hitting something and possibly damaging the barrel. They seriously need to turn it into a bullpup design.  wink_o.gif

oh yes, it's a 140mm allright.

And indeed the barrel is a bit long, but the long high-velocity barrel on the leopard2 with 120mm round (spain uses that barrel) is not that much shorter (120mm L55 gun). So it wouldn't be a very big change.

And just to remember : if the barrel of the L55 fitted to spanish Leo 2E's and other recent production models looks shorter to you than the 140mm gun pictured above, that's due to the addon-armor which comes with the A5+ Leo series (that's why the L44 gun seems so stubby on tanks fitted with the additional armour).

Leo 2A5 fitted with an L44

leop1.jpg

Leo 2A6 fitted with an L55

leopard2tank-14.jpg

Earlier Leo 2 model fitted with the same L44 as the first one

leop8.jpg

Lol, just a quick vote of repsect for OFP addon makers I actually thought those pictures were addons when I glimpsed past them the first time biggrin_o.gif

Things sure have come a long way thumbs-up.gif

i guess that last one looks like an addon with those cheap textures, shame on you germany! tounge2.gif

where after the wermacht surrendered in germany the SS were ordered to wage guirilla war against the enemy , i think this lasted a month or less and that too failed

That is because of we western people can't think guerilla war any thing that pathetic.

In Middle-East this kind of fighting has been in use for centuries. In Crusades forexample. Knights in their shiny armor, didn't stand a chance against fast, manuverable light cavalry using shortbows. They were traveling as needlepads for there very so many arrows pierced their armors. And still knights only thought them as cowards? In moderntimes things haven't changed.

Western way of war. BIG armys, direct action, fast wars, handles well against other same like fighting nation. But it doesn't handle well eastern fighting way, as they are in no rush. This has been problem for us centuries. Preus(Germans) had this problem with cosacks (russian robber/cavalry). We don't understand the point of these small actions, in which they kill few men. They seems to us that they don't have gourage to fight with us straight.

Eastern way of war, it takes time. how long Mao-Tse-Dung (or how he has been spelled, that Chinese communistic leader) repelled against chinese authorities. over ten or twenty or thirty years? And at last he won. We don't have time. Year or two and we are TIRED, as they are just warming up. Think about that!

Iragi war will be lost by US. US thinks that it is won already. The resistance does not. And now it is their call and they doesn't have rush. That all about cultural diffrences. Which generaly nobody understands.

Please don't dig up topic and carry on conversations from more than three months ago. Leave dead topics in peace. smile_o.gif