Sign in to follow this  
PainDealer

IDEA Games at E3

I've no doubt that if it can be modded, it will.

OFP could have it modded, no reason why ArmA wont have it modded.

Anyways OFP is only supposed to be realistic to a point, then modders take over. Im sorry guys but default OFP isnt that much more realistic than most games. Sure you die in one shot, but theres plenty of unrealism as well. Modders took over.

Damn straight. I don't want this game for the campaign, even the island. I want it for the editing, the mods, the amazing work this community can pull off. I don't care for graphics that much, I can't wait to see AA: ECP or AA: FFUR (that would be NUTS!wink_o.gif.

thumbs-up.gif

I like the idea of Changing charecters but I hope its not included in the Campaign. wink_o.gif

Seconded. Damn, I wish I could get over it.  sad_o.gif

I just hope that you will be able to invest in your men enough that you really care about them.  It would be really awsome if each ai under you command had consistent names, maybe even a note page to commemorate certain events, and the ability to record obituaries of fallen "temps". (Maybe I should keep a real life diary of the names of significant AI buddies, haha)

If there is an initial character named William Porter among my AI buddies, I'm gonna try to keep him safe.  Hopefully BIS realizes that these guys are Americans and thus they have a different casualty philosophy than most armies.

I want to be able to reasonable micromanage my buddies so that few of them bite the dust.  I think it's a bit silly that the AI guys have trouble keeping themselves alive.  It's like how a majority of insurgents (Iraq, Afghanistan, even Vietnam) in real life are able to escape, and just leave their dead behind.  If I get into a firefight with the AI, I shouldn't necessarily have to kill them all to end the exchange, as both sides should try to regroup in a larger formation at a later time.

If there is an initial character named William Porter among my AI buddies, I'm gonna try to keep him safe.  Hopefully BIS realizes that these guys are Americans and thus they have a different casualty philosophy than most armies.

What? crazy_o.gif yep .... I'm sure all other armies prefer their soldiers dead ...........

lol ..... preferably ArmA allows you to shoot 5 friendlies (not OFPs 2) before they shoot back ! wink_o.gif thats more in line with US philosophy isnt it ?

Quote[/b] ]If I get into a firefight with the AI, I shouldn't necessarily have to kill them all to end the exchange, as both sides should try to regroup in a larger formation at a later time.

True .... that would be a nice feature.

I don`t care about the ACU + BDU, I`s quite realistic because you can still see soldiers wearing this combination in Iraq...

I would like to say that I`m a bit dissapointed of the "you`re commander of elite squad (12 men), take that city, that one too, and well, destroy those tanks if you want" idea...

I was hoping for some really sophisticated missions that need a coordination of a couple of squads with a different tasks (not just `enter and destroy what you can, then extract by heli")...I would like to see some slow,well-thought-of and carefull operations...But it would need, better AI, snipers on rooftops, enterable buildings etc...

Well, I`ll buy it anyway wink_o.gif

What im dissapointed about is this:

Quote[/b] ]The enemy AI itself doesn't seem much different from the OFP AI, except they appear more aggressive.

While I wasn't expecting a 'super' AI. I was hoping it would get a major upgrade specially regarding close combat and team communication. It would have been nice if the AI could have used the urban cover, etc.

It happend too often to me in Flashpoint that during close combat a Enemy AI sees me, runs right past me and then gets shot because he doesnt react to my presents.

Damn straight. I don't want this game for the campaign, even the island. I want it for the editing, the mods, the amazing work this community can pull off. I don't care for graphics that much, I can't wait to see AA: ECP or AA: FFUR (that would be NUTS!wink_o.gif.

thumbs-up.gif

Well, i want the BIS campaign, missions, island, etc alot more than user made addons to play around in the editor and take pictures at wink_o.gif .

The reason why people use EECP and FFUR with flashpoint is to give the 5 year old game a minor face lift more than anything else.

Arma definetly wont need a face lift at release imho, just look at those models and artwork notworthy.gif . And the best thing is that they all look of the same standard and not taken from 10 diferent games.. plus usually oficial stuff is less likely to have "bugs" or crash your game.

You could also take into acount that creating content for Arma will be more complex and time consuming, the same goes for creating larger islands..

So atm im not interested in unoficial content for Arma, im interested in oficial quality work and addon free MP yay.gif .

It will take awhile untill arma gets old and people surpass the quality of the new BIS units imho smile_o.gif .

I just hope I can mod the map into a more realistic one. I've no doubt that if it can be modded, it will. Personally, I wouldn't mind a fixed-scale 1:25000 map... no more "go to this tree here by clicking it on the map." Not to mention the arrows and shading and markers. Those will be easy to change via mod, I'm sure.

'course, I'm a sim guy at heart smile_o.gif

I suggested that in some other topic some time ago. If BIS guys don't want to make the map scale fixed they could still implement two scripting commands (at the level of mission editing not map's config in order to be possible to use them with any map ever created) like PlayerMapZoomMin and PlayerMapZoomMax. When both were set at the same number the scale would be fixed.

While I wasn't expecting a 'super' AI. I was hoping it would get a major upgrade specially regarding close combat and team communication. It would have been nice if the AI could have used the urban cover, etc.

That's what i was hoping for the most. And if it's not in the game i will be very disappointed. I really think BIS should at first place improve things that can't be improved by modding community. And the AI is one of the most important things (i know that some mods improve it but it's all done by means of scripting which isn't very functional and hits the performance). Taking cover, suppresion and covering fire, carrying wounded, panicking are all things that the community tried to introduce to OFP but without an acces to the engine had no big succeses in it. We can still have a hope that AI module didn't make it before E3 but it's being worked on... But personally I doubt it confused_o.gif I hope that there at leas be some improvements allowing the community to work on AI and commanding system (binding keys to executing scripting commands without fwatch, some fixes that will make GeneralBarron's nearestcover.sqs not cause CTD, some commands and maybe animations for carrying wounded even if not used in campaign)

edit: more thoughts came to my mind smile_o.gif

As for animations we (except the two lucky guys that were at E3) saw next to no combat animations so its too early to tell if i like them or not. (Nihil volitium nisi cognitum smile_o.gif ) We could only hope that there's a few variations of every of them as in WWIIEC Caen mod.

As for the look of the Sarah... I liked the viewdistance (but 2km is not that far) but when compared to screens from some mods for OFP Sarah isn't extraordinary (compare it to Falklands mod, Inv44, or WWIIEC's Caen).

At the end ill say that ill most likely buy ArmA in the day that it's out but this doesn't mean i don't see it's week points...

For now im waiting for some of mods and addons being created by the community more than for ArmA...

Gnat @ May 14 2006,00:25)]What?  crazy_o.gif  yep .... I'm sure all other armies prefer their soldiers dead ...........

lol ..... preferably ArmA allows you to shoot 5 friendlies (not OFPs 2) before they shoot back !  wink_o.gif  thats more in line with US philosophy isnt it ?

Well... Al-Qaeda seems pretty damn hellbent on blowing up its members. rofl.gif

But really, I also agree that BIS should have focused on improving the things out of mod-maker's control. I really really want better AI, AI that is more than cannon fodder. I want cases where my AI teammates are more valuable than me.

I wonder if BIS could update the AI like with Ghost Recon 1. Those developers could add patches that improved the ai with each iteration. I hope BIS could do something like that if the AI is not "completely" ready on release.

The article states that you can play the whole campaign co-op with only ONE other person!!!! I don't know about anyone else but I REALLY hope that's not the case. Me and my mates (4-6 of us depending on real life commitments/annoyances) are desperate to co-op the whole thing as this was the impression that we got from earlier press releases. Please say it 'aint so Placebo. We'll have to start 'drawing straws' or playing Russian Roulette or something for the two slots...and that's just gonna be messy.

chris

I showed a friend the screenshot of the soldier on the mountain overlooking the distant city.  He said, "You won me over.  I'm getting that game."  Go on, convert your friends.

seriously, i personally know of 3 entire clans waiting for this game. -- i expect there's many many more people that are waiting, but not actively like us :-)

btw: whats the big fuss over the respawning ? -- if you dont like the fact that you just respawned because it dosnt feel realistic, you know what you do ? - exit the mission and start again. job done.

The article states that you can play the whole campaign co-op with only ONE other person!!!! I don't know about anyone else but I REALLY hope that's not the case. Me and my mates (4-6 of us depending on real life commitments/annoyances) are desperate to co-op the whole thing as this was the impression that we got from earlier press releases. Please say it 'aint so Placebo. We'll have to start 'drawing straws' or playing Russian Roulette or something for the two slots...and that's just gonna be messy.

chris

Doesn't that mean that you only need one other person, but can have more than one other to play the coop?

In other words, you can't play the campaign coop if you're all by yourself?

So, the E3 is over, not much new info from BIS, i hope that we will get some nice previews soon. But now ive seen pics of BIS's toilet booth im not really hopefull... confused_o.gif

So, the E3 is over, not much new info from BIS, i hope that we will get some nice previews soon. But now ive seen pics of BIS's toilet booth im not really hopefull... confused_o.gif

IDEA's booth wink_o.gif , i think the main porpuse about atending E3 (and other conventions) is to promote the publishing of Idea's games, not major product advertisement, thats the publishers job.

I only dream i could have been there, what was inside that "toilet" booth definetly interests me more than everything else showned at E3.

Quote[/b] ]Doesn't that mean that you only need one other person, but can have more than one other to play the coop?

In other words, you can't play the campaign coop if you're all by yourself?

You know what Uzi, you might be right. i hadn't thought of that so yeah, there still is hope. Please feel free to correct my thickheadedness in future. banghead.gif

cheers

chris

And the OFP maps seem pretty accurate to me.

That map is confusing. Yes it may be realistic, but Im sorry there are plenty of things in OFP that was not realistic and was added for balance and interest. Thats what makes OFP fun, not its ULTRA realism but its perfect balance of gameplay realism. I like the new map, its simple and easy to understand. If anything, ArmA needs new players, as the OFP community is still not big enough to make money for BIS alone. They need to attract new players. Thus the reason why they added in customability in difficulty, this map and the new "when-you-die-spawn-into-next-guy" spawn system (also you guys are crying like crazy over this, but its not exactly a new idea. BAS did it with lots of maps, as well as plenty of COOP maps. I like it, it's fine. I like the idea of playing as different grunts, not as playing as some one man army)

Still, if AA is supposed to be any representative of it's past - OFP, OFPR - and basically it's whole concept as a military simulation, then it should retain the more correct map which by the way is not difficult at all to read. It took me maybe a day to understand it, and then a few weeks for me to be able to visualize the terrain it represents in my head.

HAHAHAHAH Military Simulation. You make me laugh.

The same Military simulation with:

-Unrealistic Campaigns where you're some superhero

-Hitpoint system on tanks, where grenades could kill one

-WW2 style tank combat with no FCS

-AK-74 with burst fire

-When tanks are destroyed they're a big block of mush

-Soviet tanks with no barrel fired ATGMs

-Soviet tanks with no moddelled ERA. T-80 is virtually invincible against HEAT rounds with ERA, and it provides lots of protection from SABOT too (not invincible, but protection nonetheless)

-An incorrectly modelled BRDM. The one in the game is the Hungarian FUG, which was also exported to Czechoslovakia as the OT-65

-AI could see through smoke grenades and shoot you

-AI could see through fallen trees and shoot you

-Incorrectly modelled the AT-5 as a Shoulder fired ATGM

-LAW incorrectly portrayed as reloadable

-Carl Gustav incorrectly portrayed as a SACLOS missile launcher

-Bizon SMG for USSR, incorrect as it was introduced in 1993

The list goes on. What made OFP isnt its die hard realism and military simulation, no, it was its BASE engine that could later implement realism. Default OFP sucks. I'd rather play BF2 than that! But the engine was amazing, and it lead to such great quality mods that I have ever seen.

Fingers crossed to see if BIS has learned anything after being contracted by the USMC (And Australians with great respect wink_o.gif )

But yes, default OFP sometimes made me feel like I had advanced cancer symptoms. My pet peeve was the effing bedrolls on every soldier. banghead.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Bah, the BIS campaigns rocked wink_o.gif

So, the E3 is over, not much new info from BIS, i hope that we will get some nice previews soon. But now ive seen pics of BIS's toilet booth im not really hopefull...  confused_o.gif

IDEA's booth wink_o.gif , i think the main porpuse about atending E3 (and other conventions) is to promote the publishing of Idea's games, not major product advertisement, thats the publishers job.

I only dream i could have been there, what was inside that "toilet" booth definetly interests me more than everything else showned at E3.

Well you are right, its the inside that matters, but it looks like they didnt have anything to show... confused_o.gif

Hi, no, you're wrong. I don't really care to waste my time going into what specifically you're wrong about, but please read this food for thought....

You must realize that BIS was a much smaller company back in 2001 and before. They did what they could with what they had, in the effort to make a viable military sim. Some of the things you mentioned were not really even feasible to implement on a game designed for the computers of 2001. You must also remember that BIS is in the Czech Republic.

A lot of the vehicles/weapons in the game were based off things found in the Czech Republic. The OT-65 is very easily found there, and due to it's similarity with the BRDM, that's what they used.

Hi, no, you're wrong. I don't really care to waste my time going into what specifically you're wrong about, but please read this food for thought....

You must realize that BIS was a much smaller company back in 2001 and before. They did what they could with what they had, in the effort to make a viable military sim. Some of the things you mentioned were not really even feasible to implement on a game designed for the computers of 2001. You must also remember that BIS is in the Czech Republic.

A lot of the vehicles/weapons in the game were based off things found in the Czech Republic. The OT-65 is very easily found there, and due to it's similarity with the BRDM, that's what they used.

Im not wrong then. Im right. Just because you gave an excuse for my points, doesnt make my point wrong. OFP is hardly a military sim. The game is fun, but it is not a military simulation. My biggest gripe is the shitty campaign. It sucked. Instead of it being a real military style mission, it was some James Bond or movie crap where you're a one man army taking on dozens of guys by yourself.

Also, please, the reason they modelled the BRDM like that is because the Hummer didnt have an MG. It was for balance, not realism or your reason.

I'm kinda hoping that AA won't have reloadable LAW rockets. I think it's a little stupid that anyone would send an infantry squad to neutralize a group of tanks. It seems to me that most people would use artillery, tank support, a bomb trap, anything else than a little man with a little rocket up against an MBT. wow_o.gif

I'm kinda hoping that AA won't have reloadable LAW rockets.  I think it's a little stupid that anyone would send an infantry squad to neutralize a group of tanks.  It seems to me that most people would use artillery, tank support, a bomb trap, anything else than a little man with a little rocket up against an MBT. wow_o.gif

I do wonder if you are going to see any LAWs at all considering it's 2010.

(unless the FDF invade that is yay.gif)