Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam: The Experience - v0.2

Hi Ebud! Good to see ya still active. Just a small comment on the pic of the soldier above. He looks really good...except that the helmet looks a bit odd aside from it being too big on his head. I have one of those old steel pots here at home and it has a different shape then the one in the picture which looks like its bottom rim is sloped downward too much. Aside from that however he looks great.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Miles

Here is the model over a photo. A hair off, nothing too bad. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics. I'll look at the size though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/ebud/Work%20Pics/M1helmet.jpg

This has got me back fooling around in editor making Nam missions to take more hours of my life! Thanks for that!

I have to ask – and the fact that I am lazy -, can anyone recommend other good Nam Addons that are not in this pack I can download, also can I just plonk extra Addons in the x_vte/addons folder?

I have things like Col Klink's Nasty PTF boat and CSJ's ATC-H to bring in some extra to clean the riverside. Then there's CSJ's lambretta and trishaw to liven up the streets. They are still filled with peeps in black pajamas but hopefully not for too long wink_o.gif

You can plonk the folder full of anything, but even with the short list above you might run into some errors. Hope you can do without though if that's the case. I'm glad to see missions made and if they're on the new islands even better smile_o.gif

Well there is a new Vietnam PBR that has just been released.

HERE

WOW really great job guys. Ive been trying out various components am Im really liking what I see. 2 questions.

1. Cant get the Coc Arty to interface. Im assuming they would be used with the radio pack but the pack never links up with coc. Have the oblisk on the map and the 105's. What else do I need.

2. Any way to reduce the number of tracers. Right now every round out of the m16 is a tracer. Shouldnt it be every 3 rounds or so. Would help with the lag. I really like how the tracers are flying in this game. Something is different with bn tracers somehow.

Generally speaking I don't know if they packed tracers in M16s, is quite possible. But what determines how many tracers or which round will be a tracer is the man who packs the ammo.

1. Cant get the Coc Arty to interface.

2. Any way to reduce the number of tracers.

1. I'm not sure if you simply haven't placed a coc radio or are trying to use a VTE one in which case you need the script (scroll down a bit) to enable one.

2. Well we wont be packing your bullets but the issue has been dealt with. One way is to wait for the next release wink_o.gif

1. Cant get the Coc Arty to interface.

2. Any way to reduce the number of tracers.

1. I'm not sure if you simply haven't placed a coc radio or are trying to use a VTE one in which case you need the script (scroll down a bit) to enable one.

2. Well we wont be packing your bullets but the issue has been dealt with. One way is to wait for the next release wink_o.gif

great thanks for the script. I know when you "fire" the radio it makes a "mic click" sound. Was that meant for something or just a place holder.

Also I can wait for the revision on the tracers. Great job guys.

Thanks Ebud. Yeah I think you are right. I think it was just the angle that the first pic was taken at that made the helmet look wierd as it was difficult to see a clear rim. The 2nd one does look more or less about right.

So yeah, probably best not to mess around with the helmet then. What I would REALLY love to see is nice looking ARVN units. What would also really be awesome would be some of the ethnic Nung Chinese and indiginous Montenyard soldiers who made up many of the Special Forces teams (wearing the US SF tiger stripe uniforms) led by American Green Berets.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks Ebud. Yeah I think you are right. I think it was just the angle that the first pic was taken at that made the helmet look wierd as it was difficult to see a clear rim. The 2nd one does look more or less about right.

So yeah, probably best not to mess around with the helmet then. What I would REALLY love to see is nice looking ARVN units. What would also really be awesome would be some of the ethnic Nung Chinese and indiginous Montenyard soldiers who made up many of the Special Forces teams (wearing the US SF tiger stripe uniforms) led by American Green Berets.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I made them and put them in there a while back.

There are models for cidg, mike force units, arvn in various uniforms, etc. There are entries for more types but they use similar models.

A couple of ARVN pics. Nothing fancy, just showing you they're in there.

arvn2.jpg

arvn1.jpg

Really??? Oooh, I forgot...I hadn't tested the last version of VTE yet....

Ok...got everything installed now after deleting all the old VTE stuff (keeping required addons).

Alright ready to rock. Hopefully now I can finally make some good Mike Force missions.

Thanks for all of your hard work Ebud and the rest of the VTE team.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

no no, they're for the July release. I meant "in there", lol. Sorry.

I think the units are in the current release, just not the new models.

Ahhh ok.  Yeah they were in there.  My only complaint on the Vietnamese units was perhaps that some of the faces could use some work (some have that mask effect) but I guess those come from the SEB pack.  Aside from that, one of the biggest areas that could possibly use some work are the CAR-15 weapons models as well as the grease guns (M5's I think they're called).  They look very bulky kinda like the BIS models.  The reciever is the main part that appears too large. In other words they should be more along the lines of the size of Laser's M4's in order to look more realistic. 

The grease gun looks like it was made large by the SEB mod so that the front magazine of the SMG sits in the shooter's left hand.  But I don't think people would complain if the barrel or front of the reciever sat in the shooter's left hand.

Oh also...more of the islands could use a working airbase.

Aside from all that, the mod looks like its coming along fine and you guys have done a great job of updating the old SEB pack.  Keep up the fantastic work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Oh also...more of the islands could use a working airbase.

Yup you can say that again. But I'm more inclined towards saying ofp could use better AI in this department too. I know The Bra has prolly the most unconventional strip and Polish GI's islands don't have a single north-south runway but even with one it doesn't guarantee safe or any landings for AI. I've managed to make planes take off on pretty much any patch of stomped dirt though. It's just the reality that the islands portray backwaters and which would you prefer: a runway taking 1 10th of an islands longitude and thus occupying that much space from sweaty hot jungle action OR you making a compromise and createVehicle your air support (as has always been done, oh well  biggrin_o.gif )

Vietnamese under instruction of US special forces

VTE_Promo46as.jpgVTE_Promo47as.jpg

I gotta say it as it's true. You got some good looking units there. Nice camo on the uniforms. Good looking faces. Great work!  smile_o.gif

Any MP servers running this mod? I really enjoy playing with it.. haven't been this excited about Nam since NP2 biggrin_o.gif. Nice job Snake wink_o.gif.

I gotta say it as it's true. You got some good looking units there. Nice camo on the uniforms. Good looking faces. Great work!  smile_o.gif

Thanks, but those are just eye candy. The majority of the work is under the hood. Snake and Fred have done an amazing amount of bug fixing and general enhancements to the previous builds. I just popped in to update the old SEB avatars I made several years ago and to update the old Ilo stuff thats embeded in the mod smile_o.gif

Damn those ARVN guys are nice smile_o.gif

The second shot almost looks like something out of ArmA inlove.gif

hi,there!

i luv this mod first of all.but does anybody find that there is no cutscenes for every island in the mod?that brought some troubles to me. wink_o.gif

well,is it I that am the only guy who met such problems? huh.gif

there is no cutscenes for every island in the mod?

There sure is several cutscenes on most islands.

Quote[/b] ]is it I that am the only guy who met such problems?

Try to follow the installation instructions more carefully.

so there won't be an airpack ... going 4 it? crazy_o.gif

looky looky whistle.gif  rofl.gif

where to find the best huey? inlove.gif bwmod didn't gave me their love ...

(thx seb) confused_o.gif

huh.gif?

There are plenty of aircraft in this mod including a bunch of Hueys from the original SEB Nam2 pack that look great.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<G>

There sure is several cutscenes on most islands.

Try to follow the installation instructions more carefully.

yeh,Im sure that Ive installed all the cotents correctly following the instructions.But everytime I aborted the game to the GUI,I found the gaming was continuing,the gun was even shooting while I was doing some selectings on the GUI.

I found a line of command  in the config file of VTE_isles.pbo:

cutscenes[] = {intro,intro2};

Compared with HC1_MeeKong.pbo,the equivalent line of command is:

cutscenes[] = {"..\addons\HC1_MeeKong_anim\intro"};

yeh,Im sure that Ive installed all the cotents correctly following the instructions.But everytime I aborted the game to the GUI,I found the gaming was continuing,the gun was even shooting while I was doing some selectings on the GUI.

Yes, the classical error of no cutscenes... meaning you did the installation incorrectly. Sorry, but go back and re-read the installation help page or learn elsewhere how to install addons with MOD directories.

It'll work fine after you install it according to instructions.

Quote[/b] ]I found a line of command  in the config file of VTE_isles.pbo:

cutscenes[] = {intro,intro2};

Compared with HC1_MeeKong.pbo,the equivalent line of command is:

cutscenes[] = {"..\addons\HC1_MeeKong_anim\intro"};

This means nothing, its you who installed VTE incorrectly.