Sign in to follow this  
Yoshiro

Armed Assault at the GDC

Well, I was at the GDC a few days back and a little birdy told me about these guys over at Natural Point (trackIR makers) had a movie or something of Armed Assault. Being the good natured OFP/ArmA fan that I am I couldn't let that one slip by so I of course went over to the booth.

At this time they where just finishing up a movie of some other game and I figured I'd bug one of the guys there to load up the one on Armed Assault. To my surprise the guy replied that he had a demo, and asked if I wanted to play and show off the TrackIR at the same time. You can guess my answer I'm sure.

So for about the next hour and a half (maybe a bit less) I enjoyed the wonderful world that is Armed Assault (early demo build probably not ment for public consumption).

So things that I noted (the demo level I played is from what I've seen the first part of the ArmA vid that is going around).

1) It is OFP on steroids pretty much, as they have described it. Nothing truely revolutionary but you can see the improvements to what was allready there and everything ran very well.

2) Hand models still suck. I can live with it, but it was the only thing that looked like it hadn't been upgraded for this demo. This might be something that will be change, I hope so but just like the hand from OFP, they don't look good.

3) Vehicles looked wonderful as did the surrounding landscape with lots of foilage and excellent cover that went off into the distance.

4) The game works very well with the TrackIR and I used it alot to look around and check my surroundings for enemies.

5) There where still some major glitches I saw but I can say most if not all looked to be things related to early demo code and on the "TO BE FIXED POST HASTE" list back at BIS.

Overall I was very happy with the experience (words coming from a die hard OFP fanatic). The game felt like our good ol OFP just dressed in a new suit and getting ready for the prom. But I really think he needs to wash his hands... tounge2.gif

I'm so jealous  wink_o.gif

Cool to hear that things are progressing though.

You see any thing with multiple guns? Helos with two door guns instead of one?

Was dropped off by a Helo at the begining of the mission, but it took off before I could admire it more (read: I wanted to shoot the pilot and hijack it) so I can't really say. Only vehicle I got a good close up with was a M1A1 and it wasn't firing at the time.

Great stuff, think I might buy this Track IR when Arma comes out and give it a try with my 3d glasses.

Did it have a mission editor function? If so, is it any better? Because that Russian magazine said it had one and it was much better than OFP, is this the case? (I speak Russian)

Also... any chance of a...leech... whistle.gif :P

Don't forget it probably was a demo from, yet again, december , the same time those videos came out. So it's very likely things have improved already.

It had to be a great experience though, I wish I would have been that person rofl.gif

Sorry, but I dont believe you a word

after de GDC you loose not a word, but after the video, you say things, that everybody can see in the video

<!--QuoteBegin--

-Dawnrazor+April 05 2006,09:37--><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (

-Dawnrazor @ April 05 2006,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, but I dont believe you a word

after de GDC you loose not a word, but after the video, you say things, that everybody can see in the video

I figured other people would have posted about it, I was surprised when nobody else had. You don't believe me? Good for you, I have a pic to proove it to myself smile_o.gif

They AI seemed fairly smart, didn't run into the old SuperAI from Flashpoint while I played.

<!--QuoteBegin--

-Dawnrazor+April 05 2006,19:37--><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (

-Dawnrazor @ April 05 2006,19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, but I dont believe you a word

well Armed Assault is listed as TrackIR supported game COMING SOON at Natural Point website

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir....lt.html

and btw. this Yoshiro is from "Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45" )( http://www.redorchestragame.com ) team

(so he was on GDC and i remember he said in ROO official IRC after return that he was able play ArmAs demo there smile_o.gif)) ...

can we say owned ?

<!--QuoteBegin--

-Dawnrazor+April 05 2006,19:37--><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (

-Dawnrazor @ April 05 2006,19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, but I dont believe you a word

well Armed Assault is listed as TrackIR supported game COMING SOON at Natural Point website

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir....lt.html

and btw. this Yoshiro is from "Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45" )( http://www.redorchestragame.com ) team

(so he was on GDC and i remember he said in ROO official IRC after return that he was able play ArmAs demo there smile_o.gif)) ...

can we say owned ?

OK OK I believe

As i said, i wondered about the late report smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]can we say owned ?

Only if you live in your mother's basement.

sorry nub i'm not smile_o.gifrofl.gif but good try biggrin_o.gif

That's the same tech demo the russian magazine had.

You said the AI is better? We couldn't see that on the video because it had no longer parts - so tell, about the AI if you can. wow_o.gif

Very cool. I wouldn't doubt if the mission you played an the one shown on the video was released as a demo.

Ok I'll stir the consipiracy pot tounge2.giftounge2.gif

The pictures of you at the event showed you watching the movie xmas_o.gif not necessarily playing the game! I bet BIS didn't know it had a whole forum full of detectives nener.gif

The screen looks like a Dell 2405FPW, Any guesstimates on the rendered resolution, and comments?

The TrackIR looks brilliant, but in AA, was it a case of that you looked around using Track, and aimed your gun using the mouse, like it seems to be in the racing car Track Demo Movie, or was it where you looked, you also aimed?

The TrackIR looks brilliant, but in AA, was it a case of that you looked around using Track, and aimed your gun using the mouse, like it seems to be in the racing car Track Demo Movie, or was it where you looked, you also aimed?

I think its problably just where he looks, the aiming and turning is done with the mouse? But trackir acts like a built in free look controled by the users head movement.

Ok, so its a fresh looking flashpoint (diferent), how about the clipping problems and colision detection? Didnt seem better in the movie and the frame rate also felt poor, any word on that?