txalin

William Porter's Blog

Looks like Sahrani was a former british colony, as they appear to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Judging by the lane discipline, I'd say Cyprus.

Maybe Will was hanging out with the Aussie's in South Sahari biggrin_o.gif

Hmm...either thats also weather on cloudy,such as rain or they got rid of the mega shine problem we saw in the images released on OFP's recent birthday. As for the texture,I wouldn't worry about that,the video may have been shot afterwards or so,the timelines of BIS's stuff doesn't match up in release as to what we see,so I wouldn't worry too much wink_o.gif.

Yes the island does look immersive and it looks quite peaceful still,I'm also glad they have the palm trees set to different angles,but I suppose the biggest thing I am curious about is what that vehicle is that we see the camera from...hmm...time for more research I think. After analyzing some of the earliest Armed Assault images,I believe I know what this vehicle is now.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]"Frank was driving our truck, somebody asked. It’s 23:45 here on Sahrani now, and i’m getting up early tomorrow since there’s been firefights reported at the border, i’ll try and grab some pictures and upload here, we’ll see."

From the comments section of the blog crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Frank was driving our truck, somebody asked. It’s 23:45 here on Sahrani now, and i’m getting up early tomorrow since there’s been firefights reported at the border, i’ll try and grab some pictures and upload here, we’ll see."

From the comments section of the blog crazy_o.gif

Anyone can use a name of their choosing in the blog comments. Only things to be considered as coming directly from Will are his actual blog entries.

hmmwv, don't you think you're being a tad too pickey?

a tad too pickey? what exactly do you mean with that? confused_o.gif

hmmwv, don't you think you're being a tad too pickey?

a tad too pickey? what exactly do you mean with that?  confused_o.gif

I think he means that you seem to be 'nit picking' over a tiny detail on the Humvee. .... The air conditioning grill I think. I don't see that it matters either, after all the Sahrani liberation isn't exactly an actual event! For all you know the US could have decided to include air conditioning on all of their Sahrani Humvees as the climate is hot and the troops deployment time was also an uncertainty. A little bit of comfort for the troops would have been easily considered.  wink_o.gif

Thank you for answering for him. Anyway that´s not a valid answer to me, because the US already have AC modules in non up-armored versions and are completely different to the up-armored ones, as I said in my previous post.

The fact is not the presence of the air conditioning but how have they done it for ArmA non up-armored versions. Perhaps I´m too perfectionist, but that´s how I am, even more talking on humvees.

Being a perfectionist with exacting standards is one thing, but do you think that it's fair to insist that someone- for instance, say, some Czech 3d artist- aquires such a level of detail and exactitude on a subject that is perhaps 1/50th of the art task workload that he will produce for ArmA? Perhaps you could produce a unit replacement when the time comes?

Is this the way video was made or in ArmA cars we can't see dashboard like in OFP? http://www.fragtopia.com/reviews/flashpoint/ofp-drivingtruck.jpg

compared to ArmA in video

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/video_truck5.jpg

I was also wondering about this. Do you think it looked like this because he was using a phone cam and maybe had his arm extended over the dash?

the video show us some nice improvements.. wink_o.gif

EDIT: any one know what vehicle is that we see in new vacation_cellphone.wmv video?

it doesn't look like an hummv..

its too small to be a truck.. but im sure its a desert (cammo) vehicle with the V symbol on the front.

Can some one help here plz?

one know what vehicle is that we see in new vacation_cellphone.wmv video?

it doesn't look like an hummv..

its too small to be a truck.. but im sure its a desert (cammo) vehicle with the V symbol on the front.

Can some one help here plz?

Ah. You post a lot but don't read others' posts. It's been asked by me and answered by DeadMeatXM2 a few pages ago.

Anyone has an idea what kind of vehicle he was driving? It looks like it has desert camo but this blue line looks strange...

Anyone has an idea what kind of vehicle he was driving? It looks like it has desert camo but this blue line looks strange...

The bonnet is without a doubt that of a Landrover.

Probably belongs to the South Sahranies...

Is this the way video was made or in ArmA cars we can't see dashboard like in OFP? http://www.fragtopia.com/reviews/flashpoint/ofp-drivingtruck.jpg

I was also wondering about this. Do you think it looked like this because he was using a phone cam and maybe had his arm extended over the dash?

Its because they simulated a phone came, and as he didnt have his phone came taped on the top of his head, they edited the vid a bit to make it look like a phone cam and probably cut away some parts wink_o.gif

Its because they simulated a phone came, and as he didnt have his phone came taped on the top of his head, they edited the vid a bit to make it look like a phone cam and probably cut away some parts wink_o.gif

I´d expected it to be some cool new camscripting command, also making it easier to simulate ..well..cellphone-cams and stuff alike tounge2.gif

The bonnet is without a doubt that of a Landrover.

Probably belongs to the South Sahranies...

The US were using Land Rovers in Iraq, so I would guess that they have them here also!  wink_o.gif

Being a perfectionist with exacting standards is one thing, but do you think that it's fair to insist that someone- for instance, say, some Czech 3d artist- aquires such a level of detail and exactitude  on a subject that is perhaps 1/50th of the art task workload that he will produce for ArmA?  Perhaps you could produce a unit replacement when the time comes?

When it comes to things that are easily fixed or things that can be easily researched, I think there is no reason whatsoever to not make them as close as possible to RL and get the details correct. Things that are not so easy to find reference material for I could understand. All the little corners that are cut or little details that are either wrong or simply left out do add up. And again, one of the main marketing aspects will be the realism factor plus the military trainer aspect. If your going to claim to be the most realistic infantry sim out there, I would assume that all the details are correct.

If your going to claim to be the most realistic infantry sim out there, I would assume that all the details are correct.

Errm, that's a leap. There is a huge difference between being "the most realistic infantry sim out there" and every last insignificant detail being correct.

I agree that to point out a ventilation grill which shouldn't be on that particular model of Humvee is nit picking. 95% of Arma players aren't going to notice and 95% of those that do aren't going to care.

If your going to claim to be the most realistic infantry sim out there, I would assume that all the details are correct.

Errm, that's a leap. There is a huge difference between being "the most realistic infantry sim out there" and every last insignificant detail being correct.

I agree that to point out a ventilation grill which shouldn't be on that particular model of Humvee is nit picking. 95% of Arma players aren't going to notice and 95% of those that do aren't going to care.

No thats not a leap, and saying otherwise is simply making excuses. Arguing the significance of accurate details is rather silly. Either things are correct or they are not.

Simple as that.

If your going to push your point that most people won't even know the difference, why bother at all?

Its those 5% that are the most vocal and the most die hard players too. Every sim has them - the people that complain that the HUD of an F-16 has a readout that is .2mm offset from the real version or that the car has 2% more torque in game than it does in real life. I may even fall into this category as well - in OFP the AK74 has a burst function it does not have in real life, for example. These people are gonna bitch loud and proud about it and, eventually, it may affect sales.

You CAN keep that 5% happy by not cutting corners and by doing things right. No game designer should have to rely on the community to finish their products properly.

Funny video,seems the driver couldn't decide what side of the road to drive on.Maybe BIS's way to appeal to the British market biggrin_o.gif Just Kidding.

By the way,I think its a tidbit unfair to say that ArmA will be less of a "Realistic Infantry Sim" just because of a tiny detail like that.

It would only make a difference if the only way you visually could distinguish the old hmmwv-model to the up-armoured one(If I got that right) was that cooling-system texture.

In my opinion if a detail/feature doesnt affect how the simulation runs or is being played by the "players" the significance of it for the game design is bar nill. Or to use Hellfish's example.Just because something is 2 nm to the left on some display doesn't mean the sim/gamer will behave in any other way than the same vehicle or pilot would in real life.

It's the culmination of many such little things that eventually erode the accuracy of the sim.

I agree small insignificant details may be wasted on the majority of the people who will buy this game, but that doesn't mean you should lower your expectations. I bought Steel Beast Pro PE and I can assume if I'm looking at the interior of the M1, it's as close to the interior of an M1 as possible for a game engine. I don't expect that detail in an infantry survey sim like this will be, but if I see something in-game, a molle ammo pouch, an M4, a T-72, etc I would hope that it's been researched and checked to be as accurate as possible within the limitations of the engine.

95% of Arma players aren't going to notice and 95% of those that do aren't going to care.

The fact is I don´t care about 95% of players, I don´t even care of the 99,9%; I care about my concerns because I´m who is gonna pay for the game. As simply as it sounds.

Ok, I already said my suggestion to BI Staff and that´s all, so I consider this arguing from this very moment over.

Come on people, Armed Assault is not going to be an infantry simulator. Go buy VBS1 if you want a simulation. ArmA is a game, balanced to be fun and interesting, just like default OFP is.

In response to the discussion on OFP as a simulator:

I am quite sorry to point out to you that this is not a simulator, it is a game.

Moreover, even highly realistic a simulator game such as il2, which is much more detailed and complex than ofp is, is a game and not a simulator.

In FACT, even in the case of VBS, I would say that it is a game adapted for use as a training aid... but I would not go so far as to say it is a simulation. The relevent similarity of the game-world to the real world is mostly an appeal to the sensory perception of the user rather than a legitimate attempt to simulate real world physics or situations. The gestalt of ofp is what I assume to be a highly realistic game, especially in comparison to its peers. However, there is no one aspect of it that actually simulates something.

Quote[/b] ]

sim·u·la·tor Audio pronunciation of "simulator" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (smy-ltr)

n.

One that simulates, especially an apparatus that generates test conditions approximating actual or operational conditions.

Suffice it to say, OFP does not approximate operating conditions.

The OFP-as-a-Simulator seems to be the primary premise of an argument demanding perfection within a fraction of a milimeter from the artists that work for BIS. Since the game is being produced by a business, and employees are usually paid at some kind of rate, there can only be so much time spent on research and/or revisions before such activities become financial liabilities. In my humble and honest opinion, complaining with such strength, voice and attitude over something with such a- how shall we put it?- narrow scope of interest is distasteful and downright counter-productive. A much more positive way to spend your time might be to plan out a unit replacement. You can learn a little about graphics editting and the workflow of gameart development, and discuss a potential roster of people who might wish to help you with tasks that are beyond your abilities. Learning a little about game software development might help put this situation in perspective from over the fence.

Thank you for answering for him. Anyway that´s not a valid answer to me, because the US already have AC modules in non up-armored versions and are completely different to the up-armored ones, as I said in my previous post.

The fact is not the presence of the air conditioning but how have they done it for ArmA non up-armored versions. Perhaps I´m too perfectionist, but that´s how I am, even more talking on humvees.

yeah hence his name guys... i would love that it would be as realistic as possible (lol just remembering the old Cardboard BiS Blackhawk lol)