txalin

William Porter's Blog

Guest Ti0n3r

It looks like they've worked a bit on the island since the last semi public build. Nice BIS xmas_o.gif

This thread is strictly for discussing the blog, complaining about everything else belongs elsewhere.

Just impressions from the footage that is available in the blog, not really complaining. The movie is well done and welcome smile_o.gif .

Well driving seems to be way smoother than it has been in OFP, most buildings seem to be not enterable and the palm swaying is gone. The cites/villages look nice though. Much denser and bigger feeling to it than in OFP.

If that is a Landrover then we're seing the video from the driver side I would assume. I hope the view is not as zoomed in in normal gameplay. Also some freelook around inside the car would have been nice.

This thread is strictly for discussing the blog, complaining about everything else belongs elsewhere.

Just impressions from the footage that is available in the blog, not really complaining. The movie is well done and welcome smile_o.gif .

Commenting on the video is one thing, bitching about what is or what isn't in ArmA is another thing and not for this thread smile_o.gif

Nice video. Looks smooth and more realistic than OFP cars dynamics. Hey but what´s doing a Land Rover there? he should be driving another humvee. tounge2.gif

Sadly I see this detail is still there...

armademo5.jpg

Again that mysterious way to inform us... Why a cellphone and not a HDTVcamera?

BIS loves to play with us and I really don't mind, but it's not a good way to convince new people.

That noisy vid looks good tho, I like the texturing, not too colourfull. tounge2.gif

Nice video. Looks smooth and more realistic than OFP cars dynamics. Hey but what´s doing a Land Rover there? he should be driving another humvee.  tounge2.gif

it`s not the first hummer with this detail wink_o.gif

hmmrdtl3yw.jpg

The video seemed smooth as someone already mentioned and that is a good sign but i was looking at the position of the camera vehicle and i'd like to know if AI or a human was in control of the vehicle as the vehicle may have been driving on the right hand side of the road but when cornering it used up both lanes. I would also like to know how many waypoints were used as this could of caused the over compensating corners.

Dam i'm being picky today.....I've just had an MRI scan and my brain aches.... crazy_o.gif

Nice video. Looks smooth and more realistic than OFP cars dynamics. Hey but what´s doing a Land Rover there? he should be driving another humvee. tounge2.gif

it`s not the first hummer with this detail wink_o.gif

I´m fully aware about that. And that´s because i´m concerned.

I´m going to explain myself:

If you pay attention, the ArmA humvee version is a basic M998 and there are even M1025-26 versions carrying Brownings and Mk-19s.

Well, that "detail" in fact is a refrigeration grid part of the conditioned air system. A series equipment ONLY present in the up-armored versions; I mean the Army M-1114 (the picture you posted) and USAF M-1116.

There are M998s rolling in iraq and Afghanistan with external conditioned air modules, but are huge boxes placed over the top or the back of that humvees, something very similar to the home conditioned air systems. Externally nothing even similar to their big brothers.

For shorting; is just a quick texture retouch, so please, remove it.

Thank you.

The video seemed smooth as someone already mentioned and that is a good sign but i was looking at the position of the camera vehicle and i'd like to know if AI or a human was in control of the vehicle as the vehicle may have been driving on the right hand side of the road but when cornering it used up both lanes. I would also like to know how many waypoints were used as this could of caused the over compensating corners.

Dam i'm being picky today.....I've just had an MRI scan and my brain aches.... crazy_o.gif

it all comes down to that doesnt it? lol

Nice vid. and infact anything about ArmA is great!

I also enjoyed the vid. In future it would be nice to hear some of the latest sounds in ArmA, hopefully the crappy M16 sound has gone out the window from the original ofp. smile_o.gif

The video seemed smooth as someone already mentioned and that is a good sign but i was looking at the position of the camera vehicle and i'd like to know if AI or a human was in control of the vehicle as the vehicle may have been driving on the right hand side of the road but when cornering it used up both lanes.

AI dont drive so bad rofl.gif

And they used a script to setup the "phone cam" pos i think.

Nice to see a blog update btw.

I hope "William" now have more time and can post a better resolution vid soon.

Nice video. Looks smooth and more realistic than OFP cars dynamics. Hey but what´s doing a Land Rover there? he should be driving another humvee.  tounge2.gif

I'm pretty sure I've seen an ArmA screeny somewhere with a Land Rover Defender. I know the US were using them in Iraq and other places. It will be cool to see them in ArmA. I'm a Land Rover enthusiast and own 2 myself (Disco and RR Classic), so dare I say it ...best 4 x 4 x far!  tounge2.gif   ... Humvees are too wide and too heavy for many off road situations, thus Land Rovers are generally more versatile where heavy armour plating isn't required and narrow lanes and tracks abound.  wink_o.gif

Anyway, nice to see Bill is back and nice to see a bit more footage too. I'm not sure about his driver though! ... I think I'll give his offer of a lift a miss if I ever visit Sahrani!   biggrin_o.gif

Looks pretty good, although I'd call that footage anything but "shaky," looks more like it's mounted to the vehicle. tounge2.gif

P.S. Is that a collision at 11 seconds? Who's driving that thing? tounge2.gif

Nice movie, in short:

-Island is TeH aWeSomE!, and much higher object density then nogova

-AI seems to be able to drive more properly this time (turns arent perfect, but they arent as drunk as in OFP tounge2.gif )

-Better car physics

This deserves a banana!  yay.gif

EDIT: Colors are a bit flashy though, but it might be because of the HDR lighting, i usually turn that off in games anyway because it makes me half blind  tounge2.gif

Will this support wheel and pedals? I thought I read or heard somewhere that ofp did support a wheel, but you couldn't have 2 usb devices hooked up at the same time (wheel + joystick), is that true? Might that be fixed?

F1 Sahrani Grand Prix (Military Edition), anyone? tounge2.gif

Nice, very nice... glad to see the island a bit, it really is massive I guess. Nice scenery. wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I wanna see some footage from the firing range XD

Too bad the cars and trucks still take the turns too early. Maybe its a turning radius problem in the engine?

Too bad the cars and trucks still take the turns too early. Maybe its a turning radius problem in the engine?

No, it's not an engine problem. It can easily be fixed by tweaking the vehicle properties in the config. Still looks better than before. And if I remember rightly somewhere it was mentioned that vehicles will drive on the correct sides of the road now?

The roads we saw are narrow so the a.i. might take some liberties. Im trying a mission in Nogova with civilian cars driving around the island and they drive like that but when they cross they move to their side of the road. Tight turns and manuevers is where the a.i. pathfinding could be improved over OPF:R, they bump into things very easily and sometimes get stuck.

If i place 1 rabbitt in the middle of the road the a.i. will pull crazy manuevers to avoid it. We will still face limitations in Arma because the a.i. interacts with the whole game imo wink_o.gif .

I think that what the 'shakiness' comment was referring to was that you can see the camera moving around inside the vehicle as if it was caused by the momentum of the person in the car. This feature was absent in ofp and is certainly a welcome addition!