txalin

William Porter's Blog

Goddamnit! Why didn't i think of this myself?! This IS the coolest idea ever! (hence "IDEA Games" but that's another story)

By using that blog, BIS is making ArAs bigger than the game itself biggrin_o.gif

I bet that in a month or so, William's gonna run into some trouble.. they encounter first communist recons. Then the main force comes in and all hell breaks loose: the game hits the shelves! biggrin_o.gif

I posted the blog on Digg.com, bit more publicity for ArmA can't be bad smile_o.gif

(To those who don't know, basicly the more people who click the "Digg" button, the more likely it is to be ont he front page, thus more people see it.. It's nearing Slashdot's level of visistors too, so theres lots of people on it..)

</semi-spam> tounge2.gif

- Ben

Guest Ti0n3r

Note: I didnt find it. Someone posted in the blog comments.

Hehe, cool. Someone in the dev team has too much time on their hands ... wink_o.gif

Strange thing is that it sais Europa at the bottom copyright notice.

IF this was in europa, someone should have discovered it much easier.

My guess is that its fake.

Guest Ti0n3r

Ye, I'm pretty sure it's fake, since BIS said that Sahrani is fictional.

But it's a damn good fake.

The copyright for Europa Technologies is found everywhere at Google Earth, so it could be anywhere.

EDIT: I would waste my time making such a detailed picture of an island if it was fake.

It's hardly fake. smile_o.gif

Maybe its a picture of Sahrani in a tool (visitor or such) over the top of a google earth picture of sea, and blured top left just to make it look like its from gogle earth, as it seems pretty odd that a satalite would cover all the island except just one section. The mountains in the top right dont look realistic either.

But, how did they get the clouds over the top of the island image if that is true?

Of course it's fake, which is why I said that a Dev has too much time on their hands. It has to be a dev too, there is greater terrain detail on that image than the original map. The rivers on the south coast, the arid regions in the south. Also note the strategically placed cloud cover and the 'low resolution' area which just happens to be over the north of the island.

The rivers in particular are interesting. There are bridges across them and the third large river appears to run into the hills. Could they possibly be real rivers or the same old fjords/inlets from OFP:R?

Onwards! To the Google Earth! tounge2.gif

EDIT: I give up

Yeah... I was enthusiastic for... 15 minuts, but there aren't thaaat many islands in the atlantic ^^

Maybe its a picture of Sahrani in a tool (visitor or such) over the top of a google earth picture of sea, and blured top left just to make it look like its from gogle earth, as it seems pretty odd that a satalite would cover all the island except just one section.

They do this all the time, just look here:

example 1

example 2

Personally I think its a fake. It will have to be a really well known island in order to have that kind of resolution on it. Most islands in Google Earth are completely blurry. In this one you can see individual roads.

In this one you can see individual roads.

But nothing else, towns would have another color (more greyish) then a forest/grass/nature something, while on this pic everything is green, even the places where a town should be... tounge2.gif

In this one you can see individual roads.

But nothing else, towns would have another color (more greyish) then a forest/grass/nature something, while on this pic everything is green, even the places where a town should be...  tounge2.gif

That actually kind of depends on the size of buildings and how densly packed it is. I would still think you would be able to see something though.

But also notice how there is never a moment where the road disappears under a forest or anything like that.