txalin

William Porter's Blog

Actually when you look at the map (briefing) you see no trees or shrub icons means its zoomed-out a bit.

Actually when you look at the map (briefing) you see no trees or shrub icons means its zoomed-out a bit.

Good point. There is no forests either so the zoom out is even bigger than just without the trees and shrub.

BTW. I'd rather see in arma maps like in Vietcong. Map that is an object in the game world and to see it you've got to put your weapon away and (at night missions) find some light that will illuminate the map allowing you read it.

If the map grids have same values as in OFP (128m up close, 1280m far), then Sahrani isn't even near 400km^2. Here's a picture I made from this screenshot using OFP grid values:

sahrani_size_speculation.jpg

But this is all just pure speculation. Map grids in ArmA could have 2 times bigger values or like the guy in blog said, there could be more islands smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Also do you see any water within the island (lakes, rivers). which we got told we would have.. ?

No we haven't got told that, stop making stuff up.

Anyway guys stop speculating for all you know that map could be the size of Britain.

This is not speculation.. i read it in a interview.. im sure i did, anyways i saw a picture of a bridge and river smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Also do you see any water within the island (lakes, rivers). which we got told we would have.. ?

No we haven't got told that, stop making stuff up.

Anyway guys stop speculating for all you know that map could be the size of Britain.

This is not speculation.. i read it in a interview.. im sure i did, anyways i saw a picture of a bridge and river smile_o.gif

bridge and river = bridge with river?

Whats willem up to? has he been fighting in a battle? did his mate crash his car? or what?

[River with bridge*]

If the map grids have same values as in OFP (128m up close, 1280m far), then Sahrani isn't even near 400km^2. Here's a picture I made from this screenshot using OFP grid values:

But this is all just pure speculation. Map grids in ArmA could have 2 times bigger values or like the guy in blog said, there could be more islands smile_o.gif.

Dude, there isn't even a full grid in that screenshot, you're essentially basing it on a scale you made up... Besides its DEFINATLY not that small (you all saw the screenshots, and they don't lie).

Until we have something reliable to scale it with, we're just going to have to assume that its 400km^2 as BIS told us it would be. Stop trying to defeat everything they say...

i thought game 2 was 400km^2, and ArmA was 100km^2. but oh well.

i thought game 2 was 400km^2, and ArmA was 100km^2. but oh well.

400km2 is only 20×20, this was already possible on OFP, so why shouldnt it be? smile_o.gif

Dude, there isn't even a full grid in that screenshot, you're essentially basing it on a scale you made up...

The exact spot where grids are crossing is actually enough, with it you can make grids for whole Sahrani map wink_o.gif. My image uses 1280m x 1280m grids like in OFP.

The point of my post was that, if ArmA has same grid values and settings as in OFP, the island we see is pretty small. The scale was made up, but it's still correct if ArmA has same old grid values.

I believe what BIS says, because I'm pretty sure ArmA has bigger grids wink_o.gif. And of course it is possible to make 400km^2 game areas, hell there's even that ~2620km^2 island for OFP crazy_o.gif. But enough of this, let's just wait for better information.

Dude, there isn't even a full grid in that screenshot, you're essentially basing it on a scale you made up...

The exact spot where grids are crossing is actually enough, with it you can make grids for whole Sahrani map wink_o.gif. My image uses 1280m x 1280m grids like in OFP.

The point of my post was that, if ArmA has same grid values and settings as in OFP, the island we see is pretty small. The scale was made up, but it's still correct if ArmA has same old grid values.

Who says thats an ingame map? Or maybe its zoomed out beyond the normal zoomlimitations?  wink_o.gif

EDIT: Really, BIS wont lie about this, there is no point, and they know we would find out anyway... smile_o.gif

It's probably an ingame map because of the briefing. But it looks like the grid is bigger than in OFP (about two times). I tried to zoom OFP ingame map to same level as in ArmA screenshot, but I couldn't get just two half visible grids but about four full ones instead. This suggests that grids are about two times bigger yay.gif.

Oh and here's a link to a_lone_wolf's OFP site where you can download double and quad sized islands wink_o.gif.

http://web.quick.cz/fholesinsky/OF/index.html

Heh, what happened to that update. Got me checking the site every 15 minutes for the past day or so now.

Yea, but an RSS proggy saves the day. :P I thought it was yesterday but I think next monday then.

Right

Anyway, from willian's blog:

"As for the political situation, the island is split into two countries. The south part is where we are, and the north part belongs to a old-style communist holdover from the Cold War called the ‘Democratic Republic of Sahrani’ which is actually not far from here on another bunch of islands"

and

I don’t have a map of the whole area, but I’ve posted what I do have here. If anyone has a bigger map with more of the local islands, feel free to post it in the comments.

So:

That island isn't 20km x 20km edit: (i mean the map smile_o.gif )

There are more islands

The others islands are probably bigger than this

Edit: forgot this

Offtopic:

ża_lone_wolf's site islands lag?

Wanna bet that the island is going to be 25.6km×25.6km?  tounge2.gif

EDIT: Island as in, total map, not the total landmass  smile_o.gif

EDIT: Someone knows if GAIA was 51.2^2 or 25.6^2? It was huge... biggrin_o.gif

Offtopic:

Well the quad island is 16 times bigger than your avarage OFP island biggrin_o.gif. I can run it in steady 80 fps with 5000m view distance, though with some stuttering when flying fast.

Offtopic:

Well the quad island is 16 times bigger than your avarage OFP island biggrin_o.gif. I can run it in steady 80 fps with 5000m view distance, though with some stuttering when flying fast.

well you need a super computer.. and i bet BIS will think on the weekcomputers

Based on current information and assuming that this is a genuine map of sahrani, could this be a possible scale comparison?  

sahrani_scale.jpg

Quote from interview....."size wise it covers approximately 400km2, which is an area larger than Malden, Everon, Kolgujev & Nogova combined."

iepunch.gif

Unless I completely messed up my math which is quite likely you can't even fit 400 sqkm into a 12.75 x 12.75 km island. It has to be 25 x 25 atleast.

Based on current information and assuming that this is a genuine map of sahrani, could this be a possible scale comparison?

i think its safe to say that there are most properly more islands on one 'map' to make up for the 400 sqkm BIS claims in many interveiws. plus just look at the map of that 'one part' of sahrani, the roads are far to wide for it to be a 400 sqkm island! at least thats my opinion. I think that particler island is about, or a tad smaller then everon or malden.

Quote from interview....."size wise it covers approximately 400km2, which is an area larger than Malden, Everon, Kolgujev & Nogova combined."

iepunch.gif

I'd say that actualy looks about right. Look at the size of the cities on Sarah, based on the screenshots we've seen their a little bit bigger than Lipany, now on that map of nogova Lipany would be smaller than one of those cities, but only by a small amount.

D.murphy man, I can gaurantee you that those roads are not drawn to scale, they are only that wide so you can see them. Properly scaled, they would be too narrow to when zoomed that far out.

Guys, the island is WAY smaller than they said, those liars, it is clearly only about 4 inches wide, according to the map!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Yours is 4"?!?! I must have a smaller monitor, mine's barely 3.5" rofl.gif

BTW 20 x 20 = 400sq miles

I hope Will doesn't post at least until Friday. Let him get some work done. wink_o.gif