Sign in to follow this  
-kelet0r

Brand Spanking New Interview!!!!

Quote[/b] ]Where does this interview talk about 'player switching'?

You can see it in action on the video, I think switching character was mentioned in some earlier interview too.

Anybody know what the mention of battlefield 2 in that video is about?

I sincerely hope we will be able to disable this whole switching 'feature' for good.

I sincerely hope we will be able to disable this whole switching 'feature' for good.

Probably, we can remove the ammo counters etc from the HUD, so we can probably remove that dialogue box aswell, and just unbind the K button wink_o.gif

Sure we will. Just read the briefing in the video, it says:

Quote[/b] ]NOTE: At a later stage you can switch to other supporting units and play as sniper or tank gunner! Follow in-game hints...

If they can make it disabled for the first part of the mission, I'm sure you can disable it for the entire mission too. Now enough of this and enjoy your presents with some grace! wink_o.gif

You dont like switching?

Then don`t do it!

But no need to whine because just because the authors provided us with an additional and voluntary feature enitirely under our control.

No one is forcing you to switch. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think it's a good feature for single player missions, not realistic but it gives the single player missions more replay value. I really dont see why some of you guys are complainging about it when it's a simple feature that is controlled by the player like others have said above.

I'm sure a lot of you have used the save game feature before while in a mission, thats no more realistic then switching characters is lol.

I want the stuff listed here to be in arma and the terrain to look as good sad_o.gif

edit: opk obviously no need for observer modules and the other training reqs but some stuff listed there would be nice.

oh ya and the switching is making me twitchy too.

My main concerne right now about Arma, is the animations sad_o.gif, please BI buy the animations from Sanctuary .

Guest Ti0n3r
My main concerne right now about Arma, is the animations sad_o.gif, please BI buy the animations from Sanctuary .

Placebo has stated that new aminations will be one of the last things they will add to ArmA. smile_o.gif

New ones will be added later yay.gif

I'm sure a lot of you have used the save game feature before while in a mission, thats no more realistic then switching characters is lol.

For that matter many of the things included in OFP weren't realistic, they were even included in the video and no-one complained!

E.g. The target and waypoint indicators, the radio messages and the ammo counter magically appearing in your FOV.

Before you cry "But we could turn them off in OFP", well you can still turn them off or ignore them in Armed Assault. pistols.gif

Well, yeah, but why shouldn't people complain about a change to the worse? And it might not be optional, some missions might actually require you to use it which would seem like bad mission design or cover up for bad AI in my opinion.

Well, yeah, but why shouldn't people complain about a change to the worse? And it might not be optional, some missions might actually require you to use it which would seem like bad mission design or cover up for bad AI in my opinion.

For a start there is no such thing as bad mission design in OFP .... the whole point is that it isn't linear and isn't scripted (at least not like most single player games). So if a mission is near impossible to complete that isn't bad design, just a scenerio where you have to either conceed defeat or think differently. smile_o.gif

However you are speculating wildly "some missions *might* require you to use it". Wouldn't it be easier to re-write the mission than change the engine so that switching characters was required? icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]For a start there is no such thing as bad mission design in OFP

Oh really? I think otherwise. Funny, ain't it.

Quote[/b] ]the whole point is that it isn't linear and isn't scripted

In fact most missions in OFP are quite linear and scripted when you think about it, there are some nice exceptions of course.

Quote[/b] ]However you are speculating wildly "some missions *might* require you to use it". Wouldn't it be easier to re-write the mission than change the engine so that switching characters was required? icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'm speculating, thank you for pointing that out Captain Obvious, but it's not such a wild speculation in my opinion. Who said anything about changing the engine except you? I was talking about the missions and the campaign.

To put it in fewer words, I think changing characters in the middle of the missions sucks but don't really mind it, unless I'm practicly forced to use it.

Who said anything about changing the engine except you? I was talking about the missions and the campaign.

You suggested that inclusion of character switching was to make up for bad mission design. I suggested that your logic was a little flawed, that it would be a lot easier for BIS to improve the missions than to add a character switching. smile_o.gif

After all they seemed more than capable of making workable missions in OFP with the old AI and without character switching.

Quote[/b] ]You suggested that inclusion of character switching was to make up for bad mission design

Actually, when you really pay attention to every word, you should realize that as a matter of fact, what I really did exactly suggest was that it would seem like that, not that it is like that in my opinion. That's how I see it anyway.

I know what you mean Metal Heart.

I also hope they did not introduce the feature to make up for bad AI (for example as the sniper you see things the AI would not have seen or shot at). They sai they improved the AI and I hope we can see it in the mission design. For me ingame character switching is a immersion killer too.

I just hope the mission design will not force us to use it. That´s all we want to say nothing to discuss here.

It's pretty obvious to see by the screenshots and video that the character switching is a (OPTION) for the player to use if they want to.

No it's not obvious at all because some objective in a mission might require you to switch character in order to complete it. Like... for a simple example, some objective is on an island or inside some unbreakable fortress that you absolutely can't get on/into with your 'main' character so you must switch unit in order to reach it. That's an extreme example, just for the arguments sake, some other mission might be possible without switching but only if you destroy a tank with hand grenades or something stupid like that.