Sign in to follow this  
-kelet0r

Brand Spanking New Interview!!!!

Read the interview here now!

Quote[/b] ]In ArmA, as in Flashpoint before it, you're just a soldier. There is a war raging around you which you didn't plan to be in, but you are a professional and you can (and must) handle it. The situation is quite complicated - there are just a few US soldiers left on the island when the invasion begins so you can't simply start a full scale conflict. You help the local militia in their desperate attempts to defend their country, but they are just farmers, not professional soldiers. On the other side there is a real army with old but heavy weaponry and you have to understand that you and your team-mates are the only force that stands in their way.

578150ku.jpg

click thumbnail for fullsize

Also posted and discussed on www.armed-assault-zone.com

At last they fixed the weird lightning on everything :P

*typo :P

Image fixed wink_o.gif

I don't mind you taking the opportunity to plug your site, but copying the text from TVG and then linking people to your site rather than the original source is a just a tad naughty, I've replaced the first link with the direct link to the article at TVG and added a link to your site at the bottom, I think that's fair to TVG and yourselves smile_o.gif

I wonder how the dictator of the North looks like, maybe he has the face of the CEO of EA this time tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]J.R.: A team of 15 people is working on Armed Assault. Because they are using the engine which is developed separately by programmers in BIStudio, most of the ArmA team is level and graphic designers.

It's amazing to see how much work a group of 15 people can do.

The story is amazingly interesting and smart, they are good at that ...

Neat new features in arma MP abilities which will bring more people as I hope.

Thanks placebo and $kelet0r!

Quote[/b] ]Shock = Armed Assault is Awesome!!!
Shock? What's so shocking exactly? Of course ArmA will be awesome. And how do you think it's so awesome (=worthy of four exclamation points) all of the sudden after one interview with not that much new information?

wow, there are some screenshots at least I have never seen before, and they look really nice. smile_o.gif

wow, there are some screenshots at least I have never seen before, and they look really nice. smile_o.gif

That's what I just thought, too.

Those screens are looking much nicer than before smile_o.gif

Greetings. May I inquire what sort of artillery BIS will provide us with and wether said artillery is hardcoded or just a campaign-script gimmick. Thanks a lot

More Like SHOCK ARMA IS RUINED AND C>S BRIGADE TAKE OVER

103.jpg

this needs a rapid explanation, wtf is it ? can we disable it , if i am about to shoot someone will he become a tank gunner and H.E my ass ? lord help me jesus nooooooooo. sad_o.gif

Sorry about that Placebo he wont do it again.

Great article as well, things are starting to get hot yay.gif

what surprises me is the fact they 'r only working on arma with 15 guys, most of em creating missions/campaign and graphic design.

I would have felt happier whan they were talking about loads of ppl coding .But who am i , i dont know anything about gamedesign.

More Like SHOCK ARMA IS RUINED AND C>S BRIGADE TAKE OVER

<image>

this needs a rapid explanation, wtf is it ? can we disable it , if i am about to shoot someone will he become a tank gunner and H.E my ass ? lord help me jesus nooooooooo. sad_o.gif

Ah calm down, this 'feature' will most properly be an option for mission makers to turn on/off so i presume not ever mission will have this! and a doubt itll be in MP missions, so no worrys about the guy you just killed coming back as a tank gunner. If you dont like it just dont play the missions with it, or just dont use it at all in a mission with it. Im not a huge fan of SP missions any way so i aint too worried about this.

Very nice, i really have great hopes for this new switching feature.

I can already imagine a lot of new possibilities in missions making.

Impressive to see how much the game is advancing with only 15 people icon14.gif

@ Mar. 30 2006,19:02)]what surprises me is the fact they 'r only working on arma with 15 guys, most of em creating missions/campaign and graphic design.

I would have felt happier whan they were talking about loads of ppl coding .But who am i , i dont know anything about gamedesign.

Consider this: Armed Assault is a member of a product family, of which OFP, OFP:R, VBS1, VBS2 and OFP:E are members as well.

The heart of the products is the engine, which has started with the Poseidon engine, and which is being developed further over time by BIS. This same engine will be the base of Game2.

Every time a new member of this product family is created, a version of the engine as it is at that point in time, is used to create content around: the 15 people mentioned in the interview are doing this right now for Armed Assault.

Since there is no statement being made about the development of the engine, you can't really tell how many people actually are developing it. But you can assume that developing content and developing the engine requires different skills (thus different teams of people).

Disclaimer: This is based on my observations and experience in product family development. I could be very wrong wink_o.gif

I hate the new info... that switching thing sounds like arcady crap to draw crowds to the game. Well atleast i'm relieved from the waiting as the game don't interest me anymore, i thought the anticipation would end with a purchase...

Greetings. May I inquire what sort of artillery BIS will provide us with and wether said artillery is hardcoded or just a campaign-script gimmick. Thanks a lot

I love script gimmicks  banghead.gif

Have you even tried CoCUnified Arty? Great Stuff and all just one big script gimmick

Nice Screenies biggrin_o.gif

hehe...this switching thingy sounds to me like overall new global change mania like protests against Concorde in New York back in late 70's.

i would say...

novostismarsa3xx.jpg

there will be much time till release for infos so...just relax

Quote[/b] ]

To explain more how it works, imagine you play the ArmA technology demo for a while. You can see soldiers with a launcher running into the cover of some buildings towards a chopper. After a few seconds the chopper is down. In the next game session it could be completely different and the chopper can fly away or shoot the soldiers first. And that's just the beginning.

I would love to play the ArmA technology demo! wink_o.gif

And with the character switching mentioned above, we can currently switch rolls all the time, leap in and out of various vehicles and aircraft, use whatever equipment we come across. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote[/b] ]

To explain more how it works, imagine you play the ArmA technology demo for a while. You can see soldiers with a launcher running into the cover of some buildings towards a chopper. After a few seconds the chopper is down. In the next game session it could be completely different and the chopper can fly away or shoot the soldiers first. And that's just the beginning.

I would love to play the ArmA technology demo! wink_o.gif

And with the character switching mentioned above, we can currently switch rolls all the time, leap in and out of various vehicles and aircraft, use whatever equipment we come across. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep! it's thesame, exept that:

1. it's ment to give missions more replay value

2. it means you can respawn in singleplayer

so the

Quote[/b] ]this needs a rapid explanation, wtf is it ? can we disable it , if i am about to shoot someone will he become a tank gunner and H.E my ass ? lord help me jesus nooooooooo. sad_o.gif

is a BIT over the top... wink_o.gif

I love script gimmicks banghead.gif

Have you even tried CoCUnified Arty? Great Stuff and all just one big script gimmick

Yeah,I did not only try it,I love it like coincidentally all CoC releases inlove.gif . That's why I was asking. The thing is in this interviews the BI people have to tell people about their campaign and stuff because new people don't know the game get into our little community by being interested in BI produced content(campaign,missions).Now:The last time I played original BIS produced mission content was uhm.. more than 3 years ago? and I'm still playing OFP biggrin_o.gif .So I was wondering if this artillery thing is something cool like CoC UA as im really mostly interesting what I can do with this engine upgrade and not so much in the campaign.(I will still play it thumbs-up.gif ).

And stop bitching about that switch-feature.If it is a script-command,which I personally think it is(How should the game recognize the mission maker wants the player to be able to switch to sniper,tanker by itseld) then IT WONT BE IN ANY MISSIONS YOU CAN MAKE.NO "CS"/"Ghost Recon" IN YOUR MISSIONS.I quite like the feature for reasons I already mentioned on this board

P.S: I hope im right,because that means we can assign key-presses to custom script-calls or commands wow_o.gif (K in this example)

How many times I have wanted to take over some suicidical tank or acp in some infantry missions... But anyway, switching character in-game is a nice addition to ofp scripting possibilities but I wouldn't want it to be a part of the campaign, it breaks the immersion, is unrealistic and it seems like a quick'n'dirty fix to compensate for bad AI. Like if I was going to buy the game just for the single player campaign (which I'm not, of course), and it was necessary to change characters in the middle of the mission in order to complete it, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Yep, that is the reason for character switching, starting way back with Rainbow6, to fix braindead AI and bad mission design. You spent most of your time moving your guys out of harms way so you can use them as extra lives.

--Ben