Sign in to follow this  
thrush213

how will this be?

ok, will this game be something that you would stop playing ofp for?

like if it were released, ofp's gameplay/graphics/etc would be so outshined by it that you would break the ofp cd in half(or sell it to a guy with bad computer)?

ok, will this game be something that you would stop playing ofp for?

like if it were released, ofp's gameplay/graphics/etc would be so outshined by it that you would break the ofp cd in half(or sell it to a guy with bad computer)?

Well, considering it's practically an upgrade of OFP, it would be logical that it'd replace it.

stupid question.

its reowrked ofp basically, its better then ofp, soo why wouldnt you?

D'oh! Yes it will replace/upgrade OFP and no I won't break or sell my OFP cds. band.gif

The first thing Im gonna do when i get this game is buy a waterproof rubber keyboard. Because its gonna get real wet, Ill probably simultaneously soil all my underwear at once.

So yes, I'll never touch OFP again when i get this game.

If my understanding of the technology is correct. Old addons and tools possibly working I will continue to use OFP. Only for the reason to complete some of my projects and play test them in OFP. Then transfer it to ArmA. If that is possible.

My OFP folders are plugged full of stuff working on a island with some of the best(in my opinion) addons and stuff. It may be alot easier to complete it in OFP and then put it to ArmA.

I also have some Campaigns and MP missions that I still like in OFP. Maybe reworking them some and getting them into ArmA.

ThoBson's AA, The Uprising, some single player missions will still draw me to OFP at times.

Of course, with ArmA being the new toy, I am sure my OFP stuff will be only a sliver of time spent compared to ArmA

Yeah we cant play ofp until we get "bored" of it, we want to put it to rest with good times and good memorys, armed-assault shuld do that nicely biggrin_o.gif

As soon as Tonal gets ported, i'm off to ArmA, but until then i'll return to OFP for some tango hunting.

As soon as Tonal gets ported, i'm off to ArmA, but until then i'll return to OFP for some tango hunting.

You probably dont want to play Tonal anymore, much, MUCH more is possible now! wink_o.gif

OFP -> Gold release -> v1.46 -> Resistance -> v1.96 -> ArmA

Its natural progression

Break an OFP CD?? No way. Maybe frame it and put it on the wall though tounge2.gif Depends on how well ArmA runs on my computer..

I'm just hoping ArmA looks like mofern OFP (which it does to me in all the screenshots, just slightly improved) and runs like OFP used to when it first came out. I swear it's got progressively slower and slower..

When I saw the title I thought you were going to comment on Armed Assault's direct competitors -

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter which is due May 2006 for PC and has gotten rave reviews on the Xbox360 and looks awesome

Enemy in Sight which looks identical to Armed Assault only it doesnt have Operation Flashpoint as a big brother although it is graphically superior to Arma at this stage

Quake Wars/Battlefield 2142 while a long shot and not really aiming at the hardcore sim market will draw the more casual gamer away from Armed Assault particularly if their releases coincide

Ghost Recon would be the No. 1 contender especially if Arma is released at the rumoured May 2006 date - personally it would be a very tough call even for me seeing as I love OpF, I don't want to choose between them and I'd rather not have to spend €100+ getting both sad_o.gif

decisions decisions

Armed Assault's direct competitors eh...

Quote[/b] ]Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

You gotta be kidding, that's like saying Ace Combat 5 is a direct competition of Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. It's not.

Quote[/b] ]Enemy in Sight

...is nothing but a few (8?) old screenshots and some year old news for all we know. Sure it could be released spring 2006 but it does seem very unlikely. Even Atari's website has no information what so ever about it though Illusion says Atari will publish it. It might be the same genre as OFP though when it possibly comes someday.

You gotta be kidding

The PC version is *supposed* to be like the original version(first version), which was pretty realistic, biggest problem with that part was that there were no vehicles and you were a flying crosshair... tounge2.gif

You gotta be kidding, that's like saying Ace Combat 5 is a direct competition of Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. It's not.

Quote[/b] ]Enemy in Sight

...is nothing but a few (8?) old screenshots and some year old news for all we know. Sure it could be released spring 2006 but it does seem very unlikely. Even Atari's website has no information what so ever about it though Illusion says Atari will publish it. It might be the same genre as OFP though when it possibly comes someday.

I disagree - as an example of next generation advanced urban war it is and will be without parallel for some time, Arma cannot compete on that level at all

It alco has so much going for it - the above decent squad AI, Mexico City, the fact that it looks incredible and the realism is a nice blend of realism with fun gameplay

If Falcon 4 is the pinnacle of aviation combat simulation than consider GRAW to be Lock On: Modern Air Combat

If Arma is delayed which is more than likely (no publisher, little publicity etc.) GRAW will be on my computer very soon

Playing both 360/GRAW and Xbox/OFPE (and expecting ArmA to be OFPE's big brother) i'd say the only thing both titles share (talking campaign here) is the fact that you (can) shoot:) Freedom, map scale, AI, length of mission, immersion, bling-bling, team commanding, errmm gfx;) ... it is all so very different

In GRAW you have some cool moves and sequences but really ppl, GRAW is totally different from OFPE. Perhaps in the PC department it will be a bit different story.

Btw, imho it is a good thing they are different. But what i really miss in GRAW (and in most/all other shooters) is the quite competent AI of OFPE ... in GRAW it is triggervile all again. It is not bad, and you can enjoy it but seriously ... in my own made mission with some guard waypoints ... man that is so much better than GRAW. In OFPE i'm surprised all the time, in GRAW i'm never surprised ... and surely after a replay you know it all.

Quote[/b] ]I disagree - as an example of next generation advanced urban war it is and will be without parallel for some time, Arma cannot compete on that level at all

My point exactly, they are different genre, therefore they are not direct competition to each other. As I see it, GRAW is a first-person urban shooter about some special operations or something while ArmA portrays larger scale war and can almost be condsidered to be a simulator instead of just a game.

Quote[/b] ]than consider GRAW to be Lock On: Modern Air Combat

Funny, I was going to say LOMAC but I didn't want to insult possible LOMAC players reading the post.

LOMAC rocks biggrin_o.gif

I still see them as viable opponents - the fact that they depict modern conflict differently doesnt make them different genres - in fact they would both be placed under the title tactical shooters

Quote[/b] ]Playing both 360/GRAW and Xbox/OFPE (and expecting ArmA to be OFPE's big brother) i'd say the only thing both titles share (talking campaign here) is the fact that you (can) shoot:) Freedom, map scale, AI, length of mission, immersion, bling-bling, team commanding, errmm gfx;) ... it is all so very different
if they did things the same I would be worried smile_o.gif

tbh for me it is a tough call - Arma or GRAW for my PC especially as they are both 'due' in May

the fact that they are different doesnt help the decision - they are both combat simulations (yes GRAW is a combat simulator and a very good one at that)

confused_o.gif

Well, yeah, I guess LOMAC's ok if you're not too much into realism or absolutely need the state of the art gfx in order to enjoy a game or sim.

Quote[/b] ]I still see them as viable opponents - the fact that they depict modern conflict differently doesnt make them different genres - in fact they would both be placed under the title tactical shooters

Well, they are clearly different genres to me, there's no question about it. Likewise, you could place Ace Combat 5, LOMAC and F4 into same shelf that says 'Air Combat' but that doesn't make them the same genre, only approximately the same theme.

they are both combat simulations (yes GRAW is a combat simulator and a very good one at that)

confused_o.gif

I dont think there will be much sim potential in it, the little they have showned for PC looks ok and got me interested but in the end its just another shooter with cameras and diamonds on the screen, i dont think GRAW will do much more than Americas Army far has MP gameplay goes, just prettier and futuristic but still something small.

I can see myself playing Arma for years, i dont see myself playing GRAW for more than a couple months wink_o.gif .

GRAW is isn't a combat simulation, neither is OFP and neither will ARMA be.

You can't simulate onfoot combat while sitting on your ass, these are just games.

That is like saying an aircraft simulator isn't really a simulator because you don't leave the ground.

GRAW is isn't a combat simulation, neither is OFP and neither will ARMA be.

You can't simulate onfoot combat while sitting on your ass, these are just games.

simulator

One that simulates,especially an apparatus that generates test conditions approximating actual or operational conditions.

Source: Dictionary.com

That is like saying an aircraft simulator isn't really a simulator because you don't leave the ground.

hehe, that's exactly what I thought when reading this.

So as a conclusion, neither the simulators for pilots are simulators, because they don't sit in a real cockpit and don't leave the ground wink_o.gif

No because in an aircraft you are sitting happily, pushing buttons suffering a force of several G when you take a turn, observing your instruments. You can reflect that a lot more accurately then being onfoot. The only thing games can do is to condition you to see people die, so you won't hesitate in real combat.