Sign in to follow this  

Comp advice

i have decided on the asrock 939dual as it has both agp and pci-e for futer upgrades, and the amd64 3200+ venice (retail)

Just wait till you have enough money for a new gfx adapter too and avoid those hybrid messes.

True, and if you can live with an old Radeon 9800, Im sure you can live with an Athlon XP for a little while longer

But AMD XP+ would´nt fit on a 939 board, would it?

Just upgraded my 3 year old pc with an up to date agp gfx card (7800 GS) and everythings runs smootly again, now leaving my monitor as the weakest part of the system due to it´s inability to display resolutions higher than 1200x900 crazy_o.gif

But AMD XP+ would´nt fit on a 939 board, would it?

Heh, that reminds me of that story of the guy who tried to fit a 6800 Ultra (when they were still €500+) into a PCI slot, and chopped off parts of the AGP interface to get it to fit... whistle.gif

(to answer your question, no, it wouldnt smile_o.gif )

Well I have an old system aswell. There is one good AGP card left (for future games), a Gainward 7800 GS+ 512mb but I'll save my money for a PCI-e system.

te amd64 3200+ is a socket 939 cpu so yes it fits in the 939 mobo

ok, to add to this thread:

I'm currently using an amd athlon xp 2800+, 1GB with a Radeon 9600 Pro (128mb) on my desktop machine. I plan on replacing the whole system in about a year (new mobo, 64bit multi core cpu, PCIe-gfx, plus whatever else I can get away with), but until then I'd like to improve the gaming performance at least somewhat. So now I'm thinking of getting a cheap mid-range gfx card for the time being: still with AGP to save me from upgrading mobo & cpu at the same time, but offering Shader 3.0 and enough power to play most current games at least on higher settings (cpu requirements permitting).

The one I'm currently having an eye on is the Sapphire X1600PRO with 512mb ram and 8x AGP, which seems to offer a good compromise between costs (only 150 Euros incl. shipping) and power (ATI X1600 with all the bells and whistles).

What about similar Nvidia AGP cards? What would you guys recommend?

Got a PNY 7800GS 256MB RAM and i´m totally satisfied performance wise.

In comparsion to my old Ati 9500 which was softmodded to a 9700, 3dmarkd05´s have jumped from 1300 to 5300 and TES:Oblivion looks and feels the way it´s supposed to.

The old 2500+ Barton CPU does´nt seem to bottleneck it as much as i´d thought.

ArmA may come biggrin_o.gif

PS: OFP performance hasn´t changed that much (finally CPU bottleneck), only difference being that now AA & AF lost impact on FPS..

te amd64 3200+ is a socket 939 cpu so yes it fits in the 939 mobo.

Make sure its a s939 one, it could be a s754 one, or if you really arent paying attention, a 3200+ Socket A Barton tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]ok, to add to this thread:

I'm currently using an amd athlon xp 2800+, 1GB with a Radeon 9600 Pro (128mb) on my desktop machine. I plan on replacing the whole system in about a year (new mobo, 64bit multi core cpu, PCIe-gfx, plus whatever else I can get away with), but until then I'd like to improve the gaming performance at least somewhat. So now I'm thinking of getting a cheap mid-range gfx card for the time being: still with AGP to save me from upgrading mobo & cpu at the same time, but offering Shader 3.0 and enough power to play most current games at least on higher settings (cpu requirements permitting).

The one I'm currently having an eye on is the Sapphire X1600PRO with 512mb ram and 8x AGP, which seems to offer a good compromise between costs (only 150 Euros incl. shipping) and power (ATI X1600 with all the bells and whistles).

Ok, I'd question buying a new graphics card now when youre going to upgrade soon, but perhaps if youre really interested in getting a little extra the X1600XT would be a good option. I'd wait though, and get a 7600GT (maybe even 8600GT if your waiting till next year :d ) with your next Pc.

@Mr. Burns: At €300, a 7800GS isnt really a cheap midrange card...and it isnt any much better than the cheaper 6800GS AGP

Ok, I'd question buying a new graphics card now when youre going to upgrade soon, but perhaps if youre really interested in getting a little extra the X1600XT would be a good option. I'd wait though, and get a 7600GT (maybe even 8600GT if your waiting till next year :d ) with your next Pc.

As I said I'm just interested in a temporary fix. I don't have the money right now to build the system I want (well, I have, but there's other, more important things to spend it on atm), but I can easily 'waste' 100 - 200 Euros on a new gfx card. On the other hand I'm not intending to spend more money than that now for an AGP card I'm going to throw away in about 12 months anyways, when I finally switch to a PCIe system.

Got a PNY 7800GS 256MB RAM and i´m totally satisfied performance wise.

The Gainward 7800GS 512mb edition even has 24 pipelines and theres one more on the way based on the G71. tounge2.gif but how nice it sounds I move on to the PCI-e.

Quote[/b] ]Then X1600XT is a good idea
Meh, this card may have the new Shader Model 3.0 and such but can barely play new games that really uses them. You be better of with an X850 which is around 200 now.

im back and im now running a A64 3200+ venice and the Asrock Dual mobo, this has replaced my gigabyte mobo and athlon 2400.

not done much in the terms of testing but so far so good.

my next question is regarding graphics cards...

im currently running a IceQ radeon 9800pro 128 AGP, now my new mobo supports both agp and pci-e so my next card will be pci-e but im just so bloody confused as to what is better than what as the numbers dont seem to mean diddly squat these days.

par example:

radeon 9700 is better than a 9600 ect ect

but now theres x800's x1900's x1300's ect

what would be a suitble upgrade from a 9800pro? one that is not silly money either around 100-200 squid

Do you prefer Ati cards though? Or are you open for nvidia aswell?

I know that Nvidias 6600GT and 6800GT are good for that much money in the PCI-E versions. Dunno about the Ati cards.

i always have gone for ati as they seem to always out perform nvidia in 9/10 cases and ive never had an issue with any of the ati cards ive owned.  but if within the price range nvidia proove to be better than the ati offernings then im sure i could be tempted to change sides smile_o.gif

theres a x850 xt

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalo....07.html

would that be a slight upgrade or a decent one?

for 146 quid it looks quite good to me, although i have reservations about "powercolour" stuff, they ok or are they to be avoided?

The X850 doesnt support Shader Model 3 Technology, in English, that means that the latest games wont look as good on it, even if it is a fast card. I would recommend GeForce 7600GT, probably the fastest thing you can get without having to spend €350+

Exactly Nvidias 6 series card support Shader Model 3.0 , one of the main reasons why i bought a 6600GT instead of a Radeon 9800XT.

so is the general concensus that the nvidia mid range cards are better than ati's efforts?

I think ATi made some new cheap version of the X1800 that might be worth looking into (I think its called X1800GT, but I amnt sure) Otherwise, yes, nVidia's mid range cards are generally considered superior

EDIT: Considering the amount of folk asking for Computer advice on the offtopic, I think mods should make this thread a sticky

As of right now I am thinking of buying a laptop, though I havent completely crossed off buying a desktop. Its going to be mainly for gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions becuase I am kinda at a loss as to were to start with laptops. I am looking to spend around $1500. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

the acer ferrari is a decent gaming laptop

are the 7600's any good? looking into them now and the prices arnet to bad, are they better than the 6600 and 6800's?

Quote[/b] ]Gainward BLISS GeForce 7600 GT "Golden Sample" 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (471846200-7777) (GX-036-GW)

The NVIDIA® SLI™-Ready GeForce® 7600 graphics processing units (GPUs) unleash extreme HD gaming and video on the PC. Featuring the award-winning GeForce 7 Series architecture, the GeForce 7600 GPUs deliver smooth, realistic gaming at ultra-high resolutions. Additionally, the GeForce 7600 GPUs bring high-definition, home-theater quality video to the PC through the acclaimed NVIDIA® PureVideo™ technology.

- GeForce 7600 GT Core running at 575MHz

- 256MB GDDR3 Extreme Memory running at 1500MHz (1.2ns memory - Great Overclocking potential upto 1700Mhz)

- Designed For Extreme HD Gaming – Delivering Ultra Realistic Gaming Experiences

- Nvidia Pure Video Technology – Delivering high definition video playback supporting H.264 and WMV9

- Dedicated Video processors free the GPU Shaders to run 3D applications – Letting the GPU do what it does best

- Built for Windows Vista – The next generation operating system

- SLI ready – Delivering upto 2x the performance

- Shader Model 3.0 Support

- True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology

Price: Å124.95 (Å146.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)

that one is looking attractive.

what you rekon?

7600GT all the way! They out do even 6800GT/GS.

@VictorS: Avoid gaming laptops. To get a good one you need to dish out €2000+, putting that money into a top of the range desktop is a way better investment

ive founf a factory overclocked version of the 7600 gt with a 590 clock for exactly the same price as the one i posted.

this is the card to get to replace my 9800pro with noticeable difference yes?

YES .. biggrin_o.gif .

I wish i could get one , how much you paying for it?

Yup, 7600GT is much much faster than any 9800

(Å146.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)

which is within my meager budget smile_o.gif roll on payday smile_o.gif

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalo....56.html

its the one at the very bottom of the page with lara croft.

*edit*

one small issue is my tft doesnt have a dvi port, the card has 2 dvi's. are there dvi -> vga adaptors?