Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Stryker Armored Vehicle

I was wondering if anyone was making a Stryker? If not I think it should be make cause it like an updated version of the M113.

Stryker Wiki

Same here. It is becoming the most popular land vehicle in the U.S. Army and it hasn't even been made yet...pitty. Who ever makes it first will be remembered...haha. The Stryker is the predecessor to the FCW program. It plays a very important role in todays American Army.

Edit: This discussion has been brought up before, even by me. Check out the FFUR2006 forums.

Who remembers the person that made the first littebird? I don't, and nope, it wasn't BAS. First guy to make a good version will be remembered wink_o.gif

Definately looks like a better vehicle than the M113, much better shape, lower profile. The m113 just looking like a crawling target, with it's flat square sides. I would hate to ride in the back of one of those in a hostile environment, especially considering the availabilty of RPGs in the middle east.

The Stryker looks a bit safer though smile_o.gif And if t looks safe.. it must be safe.. right? tounge2.gif

The Strykers have implemanted slat armour to help lessen the blow of a RPG.samara-stryker.jpg

This is from Defence Update.

In Iraq, Slat armor proved quite successful in defeating attacks of High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) of Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPGs). This type of armor is not effective Attacks by high explosive and fragmentation RPG rounds which explode before they hit the cage. In one mission, a Stryker vehicle, with slat armor, was attacked and hit with nine RPGs. The locations of the hits on the vehicle were sporadic. The crew escaped with minor injuries and the vehicle moved under its own power to the nearest operating base for assessment and repair.

I watched Kiowa down on military channel, and a stryker was hit by an RPG, all the people ears where ringing, and alittle engine problem... RPG never snap this vehical in 2... sorry to say, i dont trust you! biggrin_o.gif

Where the heck is everyone getting it compared to a M113 crazy_o.gifbanghead.gif

It's based off the Lav's, it looks nothing like a M113, here ill compare pics for you's:

Stryker:

samara-stryker.jpg

Lav/ASLAV:

lav-25-dvic371.jpg

If you ask me it looks like they grabbed a lav and squished it in a crusher to make it more compact, then renamed it and gave it a new turret smile_o.gif , looks awesome tho thumbs-up.gif

firefoxlover.gif

There are already a few Strykers around. Most of them are imported from America's Army and aren't allowed to get released. Combat! however made a very nice one from scratch for their US Army pack for VBS1.

I tried making one some time ago using Sigma's LAV-III as a basemodel. However I wasn't able to convert it decently from ODOL to MLOD and started from scratch rebuilding the model with the points that got imported. Don't think it will be released anytime soon.

The "slat armour" or RPG Fence" must be good as the Brits use it . smile_o.gif

So do the aussies on our ASLAV's yay.gif

that means its extra good, Dont see many Australian dead in Iraq  wink_o.gif Becuase we dont get into combat. sad_o.gif

The Strykers have implemanted slat armour to help lessen the blow of a RPG.

http://www.defense-update.com/images/samara-stryker.jpg

This is from Defence Update.

In Iraq, Slat armor proved quite successful in defeating attacks of High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) of Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPGs). This type of armor is not effective Attacks by high explosive and fragmentation RPG rounds which explode before they hit the cage. In one mission, a Stryker vehicle, with slat armor, was attacked and hit with nine RPGs. The locations of the hits on the vehicle were sporadic. The crew escaped with minor injuries and the vehicle moved under its own power to the nearest operating base for assessment and repair.

Those bars are sort of a stupid idea and they are not really effective. That RPG screen is designed to deform the casing of the RPG so that the metal nosecone comes into contact with the warhead, shorting it out and deactivating the fuse. A study on those screens found that those particular screens were not very effective. Better than nothing, I suppose.

The original RPG screens that were employed in vietnam were stationary and made of wire mesh. The document I read regarding this and it said that the wire mesh screens will electically dud rpg-7 round 50 percent of the time.

This same document recommends a minimum stand-off distance from a prematurely detonated (in trees or something) rpg of 12 feet for M113 armour. I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with the mechanics of HEAT ammunition, but the hot, thermodynamic stream of vapourized copper may still cut through a four and a half inch thick brick wall at 25 feet from the point of detonation (this is minimum stand-off distance again).

According to a graph, the rpg-7 will consistently penetrate 5 inches of RHA if it's exploded 5 feet away from the target. 1 foot away from the armour, it will penetrate 10 inches. It will still reliably penetrate an inch of armour at greater than 8 feet from the target. I don't know how much armour the Stryker has, but I doubt that it's greater than 8 inches.

All that said, something is better than nothing!

This is taken from Global Security.

The Army says the Stryker family of vehicles are considered less vulnerable to small arms and weapons fire than the M113 family of vehicles. The crew and engine compartments of the Strykers are fully protected up to 14.5mm armor piercing (AP) rounds while the crew and engine compartments of the M113s are protected only up to 7.62mm AP rounds. Although a 14.5mm armor design was developed for the M113s, the armor was never produced and fielded.

Add-on armor for the Stryker adds approximately 7,000 lbs to the vehicle weight and approximately 12-14 inches to each side. To accommodate the increased weight, the tires were inflated to 90 psi and the Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) was disengaged. As the vehicles moved from a hard surface to a softer one (in a grove of trees) the vehicle's tires sank into the soft ground. The winch on the Stryker is not sufficient to recover a Stryker with add-on armor mounted; therefore, some other vehicle recovery asset must be used.

Who remembers the person that made the first littebird? I don't, and nope, it wasn't BAS. First guy to make a good version will be remembered wink_o.gif

Definately looks like a better vehicle than the M113, much better shape, lower profile. The m113 just looking like a crawling target, with it's flat square sides. I would hate to ride in the back of one of those in a hostile environment, especially considering the availabilty of RPGs in the middle east.

Captain Adammo made the first Littlebird for ofp. Least I think it was the first it was definitly made before the BAS one. So therefore that isn't always true.

Not to mention someone made a Stryker for OFP before but I don't know if it ever got released. Anyway they ran into some kind of problem with the turret and it kind of disappeared. Just like the Ferret.

There is a nice "free" Stryker here in openflight format. With lods and a damaged model as well. With Deep Exploration you could convert the lods and get it right in. I started a while back, but never had the time to do it completely. Lots of lods, and if you've never exported multi-componant, multi-level openflight models it gets a little confusing what lods your seeing.

I think the readme just says you need to give credits.

http://www.cscmodeling.com/homepage.htm