Sign in to follow this  
king homer

M1A2 SEP 3.0

To open the pbo first download Mikero's Extract Pbo Do a search on google) Then open up the "inq_m1 pbo with notepad (takes a few secs) On the first line you will see protect bla bla.Now change the  protect bit to them o's that look like a square(you can do this by copying a square o i.e right mouse button  select copy) now just delete every letter in the word protect and paste the "square o" that you have just copied,one o for every letter.Save and then open with Mikero's Extract Pbo. This can open the pbo because it ignore's all the false characters that have been put into the pbo wink_o.gif  Have fun P.S after just reading post below i should point out that for private use you can do what you want with the addon! Otherwise the lads shouldn't have released it to the public biggrin_o.gif

im not liking this at all. can we have a slightly "lower res" tank model. mabe get rid of some unnessacarys. like that m240 on top. or something else we dont need?

ive been talkin about implementing this into Y2K3 and im getting alot of response telling me to keep the old one because the new one lags incredibly. now ive been unable to implement it into Y2K3 due to the pbo lock, and im sure ill find a way around that soon enough and test for myself but thus far im not liking what im reading. huh.gif

I really don't understand you people sometimes...

For years and years all you've been wanting is more accurate, prettier models/textures for OFP, now you get that level of detail a huge chunk of you moan about how it doesnt run "perfectly"

Newsflash people, you wanted high-res, high-res is what Homer and his team delivered. If you dont like it, stick to the BIS models, which are "optimal" for the engine.

As for the whole pbo-lock issue, much like Shinraiden posted a few pages back, maybe there is a reason the pbo is locked?

Like most addon makers, I'm sure Homer and his team don't want someone to come along, change one or two values in the config, "integrate" it into some sort of total conversion and then take all the credit for it.

And don't give me all that "but we credit it" crap, because I've seen it plenty of times, where a screenshot of addons from a dozen or so makers is simply credited as "y2k3" or "ffur"

The pbo is locked so that you SHOULD HAVE to ask Homer for permission to use his addons, not just to hack them up as you see fit.

/rant

So theres no middle ground between BIS M1A1 and some über detailed model that 90% of PC's cant run? icon_rolleyes.gif

I personally have not even tried this new version but if its really as bad as most people say then whats the point?

If 9 out of 10 people cant place more than one or two of these tanks in their missions then isnt the addon more or less useless?

Oh and by no means Im disrespecting the amount of work that King Homer and others have put into this. Thanks for the effort! notworthy.gif

Actually, there is a middle ground between low detail BIS Abrams and high detail Inq/KingHomer/T_D/Fischkopp M1A2 SEP 3.0.

This way everyone can use an updated good quality M1A2 according to his system specs .

Sigma6 M1A2 model or the modification of it that lead into Inquisitor/KingHomer/Sigma 6 M1A2 SEP 2.0

You can even find a retextured Sigma6 (or M1A2 SEP, i am not sure) M1A2 that look really good in the FFUR 2006 mod.

if its really as bad as most people say then whats the point?

It's not that bad. It's a very good addon IMO. Only way to find out: Try it!

well have you ever thought about that what 'some' folks -here- 'request' isn't the 'best' all the time..

BIS forum != ofp community

BIS forum members != the bar

maybe ..

you should do what you think is right.

if you guys did, there is no need to discuss about this.

im not liking this at all. can we have a slightly "lower res" tank model. mabe get rid of some unnessacarys. like that m240 on top. or something else we dont need?

ive been talkin about implementing this into Y2K3 and im getting alot of response telling me to keep the old one because the new one lags incredibly. now ive been unable to implement it into Y2K3 due to the pbo lock, and im sure ill find a way around that soon enough and test for myself but thus far im not liking what im reading.  huh.gif

I really don't understand you people sometimes...

For years and years all you've been wanting is more accurate, prettier models/textures for OFP, now you get that level of detail a huge chunk of you moan about how it doesnt run "perfectly"

Newsflash people, you wanted high-res, high-res is what Homer and his team delivered. If you dont like it, stick to the BIS models, which are "optimal" for the engine.

As for the whole pbo-lock issue, much like Shinraiden posted a few pages back, maybe there is a reason the pbo is locked?

Like most addon makers, I'm sure Homer and his team don't want someone to come along, change one or two values in the config, "integrate" it into some sort of total conversion and then take all the credit for it.

And don't give me all that "but we credit it" crap, because I've seen it plenty of times, where a screenshot of addons from a dozen or so makers is simply credited as "y2k3" or "ffur"

The pbo is locked so that you SHOULD HAVE to ask Homer for permission to use his addons, not just to hack them up as you see fit.

/rant

WTF is there not to understand?? People WANT to use this addon in the game...but because of a number of reasons, they can't.Which means that theres an upset in gameplay ALL across the playing field.Addon makers have a responsibility too,and thats to ensure that gameplay remains intact.Why???..because if they don't it affects players in a way that renders them unable to play with others.AND THATS BAD.If addon makers can't get along and work out the gameplay issues...or refuse to address the issues,then its up to others to put it right.And if its copyright issues they're worried about,then just remember whose copyrights they're playin with to begin with.my 2 cents.Keep in mind too all this being in a context of "NON-Comercial" and encompassing ALL addon makers ,not just Homer exclusive.

People, you are talking about the SEP VERSION of this tank.

This thing is meant to be some sort of "uber".

Why not just take the tank as it is and think about an extra non-SEP version which is more "normal"?

It should not be a big deal for homer, inquisitor and the other ppl involved in this addon to create another M1A2 without the extra armour and special ammunition.

MfG Lee icon_rolleyes.gif

you do realise why king homer made LOD's right?

if the first LOD is too much for your poor pc, then go into the preferenced and drag the object LOD slider to the left untill the addon will only show you the 2nd LOD... there you go, problem solved.

Why not just take the tank as it is and think about an extra non-SEP version which is more "normal"?

It should not be a big deal for homer, inquisitor and the other ppl involved in this addon to create another M1A2 without the extra armour and special ammunition.

But what is SEP all about? SEP is an enhancement package for the sighting, engagement systems (target finding/acquisition and fire control) and C&C of the M1A2 tank. It's not an extra armour or special ammunition addition. SEP is another system upgrade meant to ensure the Abrams locates and engages its target before being detected by the enemy, as well as broadcasting the acquired information to friendly forces. Therefore, M1A1 and M1A2 SEP aren't much different from eachother in terms of armour and firepower -- both fire same rounds and the last is an armour and systems upgrade from the former. Basically, the evolution of the M1A1 is mostly electronic-systems wide.

In this way, I believe King Homer could implement other versions of the M1 Abrams. Not only it's justifiable due to historical contextualisation of missions, mainly from the 85's Cold War Crisis campaign -- as SEP version is very recent --; but also due to the limited amount of operating units in the US forces: there are about 300 of these, about the same amount of fully equiped Vladimir and Bars.

Regarding proportions, someone said it would be more realistic to have 5 T-80 facing 4 Abrams, but I actually find such the other way around. Usualy, soviet/russian basic armoured units consist of platoons made of 3 MBT's, sometimes followed by an APC. So, it would be more realistic to have two -- or almost two -- T-80 platoons operating as different groups.

Edit:

That has been the goal of the CAVS program. I swear some times it seems as if no one has heard of them.

I'm more afraid that developers forget it. sad_o.gif

I tested the SEP in a CTI, rolling into the cities of dma libya with enemys not stronger then jam3 hd resistance and vehicles like bmp1, btr-80, shilka and t-72's.

The chance of not getting hit by some rpg's and bmp1 or t-72 rounds is close to zero.

After 1-3 hits from those ~enemies~ my crew is crying for a medic and the tank needs some repair before going to the next two towns.

Maybe the tank is hard to knock out completly(see it exploding), but the crew inside isn't.

And think about other enemies like MI-24.

Yes, the tank is damned heavy armored(ammo can be easily changed in the coming update), but please STOP those testing on desert island where 4 M1A2 standing face to face with some T-80's in 250m distance.

I'm pretty sure this testing method is not what people want to play in a mission.

---

For me, the SEP is really good, the only thing to make it better would be more versions!

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

This whole arguement is pointless since serious 'balanced' tank-on-tank battles ended in Europe in WW2. There were some actions in the Six day and Yom Kippur wars, but they were negligible in the face of the air power factor.

That's why the US plowed so much time and effort and money into the attack helicopters and the Warthog. A democracy would not willingly throw the same flood of infrastructure that a communistic government would, so the political requirements were different. So instead of building and maintaining a sea of armor for flood tactics, the idea was to take guerilla tactics to the air and night. At any rate, Germany was to be - no offense friends - little more than a glorious speedbump for the ground-attack to play in. The soviets knew this, hence their solution of hording up missles. When in doubt, flatten it all.

You saw the results of that mindset in GW1. Forget all the other factors at play, the basic point was that air assets obliterated everything in a big turkey shoot and the fast mech.inf batted cleanup, with the armor locking up and holding.

So the point of this is that we shouldn't be paying attention to M1A2 vs T80 arguements at all, rather we should be focusing instead on M1A2 vs RPG or Helicopter Anti-Tank rockets.

But what is SEP all about? SEP is an enhancement package for the sighting, engagement systems (target finding/acquisition and fire control) and C&C of the M1A2 tank. It's not an extra armour or special ammunition addition. SEP is another system upgrade meant to ensure the Abrams locates and engages its target before being detected by the enemy, as well as broadcasting the acquired information to friendly forces. Therefore, M1A1 and M1A2 SEP aren't much different from eachother in terms of armour and firepower -- both fire same rounds and the last is an armour and systems upgrade from the former. Basically, the evolution of the M1A1 is mostly electronic-systems wide.

In this way, I believe King Homer could implement other versions of the M1 Abrams. Not only it's justifiable due to historical contextualisation of missions, mainly from the 85's Cold War Crisis campaign -- as SEP version is very recent --; but also due to the limited amount of operating units in the US forces: there are about 300 of these, about the same amount of fully equiped Vladimir and Bars.

Regarding proportions, someone said it would be more realistic to have 5 T-80 facing 4 Abrams, but I actually find such the other way around. Usualy, soviet/russian basic armoured units consist of platoons made of 3 MBT's, sometimes followed by an APC. So, it would be more realistic to have two -- or almost two -- T-80 platoons operating as different groups.

Edit:

That has been the goal of the CAVS program. I swear some times it seems as if no one has heard of them.

I'm more afraid that developers forget it. sad_o.gif

The M1A2 SEP also has an improved armor package, which includes third generation steel encased depleted uranium armor. So it's much more different from the M1A1 as you think it is.

I'm sorry, we're not allowed to do other Abrams versions, M1A2 only. Please refer to Fischkopps post in the SEP 2.0 thread.

So the point of this is that we shouldn't be paying attention to M1A2 vs T80 arguements at all, rather we should be focusing instead on M1A2 vs RPG or Helicopter Anti-Tank rockets.

Mission making in OFP is a bit more than just recreating real life events, so the 'what kind of modern MBT to oppose the modern M1A2 SEP" is a legitimate question.

Mission making in OFP is a bit more than just recreating real life events, so the 'what kind of modern MBT to oppose the modern M1A2 SEP" is a legitimate question.

Best example: RHS T80UM vs. M1A2 SEP

M1A2 armed with M829A2 APFSDS and T80UM with BM42M:

The Abrams can destroy the T80UM with two hits AND the T80UM can destroy the Abrams with 2 hits.

T80UM irscanrange = 4000

M1A2 SEP irscanrange = 3500

But OFP AI can't engage targets further away than 1500 - 1800m.

Another point is the faster APFSDS shells of the T80UM. The BM42M is about 200m/s faster than the American shell.

Only difference until now is the reloadtime of M1A2. And that's the only thing I'm not gonna change.

The problem is that RHS T80 can't be used in any missions, they have a model bug that make them totally ignoring waypoints (they just spin, and spin again when reaching their first one).

That's why it is difficult to find a modern opposition , as the addon your M1A2 SEP is balanced with is not usable in OFP currently.

Best example: RHS T80UM vs. M1A2 SEP

M1A2 armed with M829A2 APFSDS and T80UM with BM42M:

The Abrams can destroy the T80UM with two hits AND the T80UM can destroy the Abrams with 2 hits.

T80UM irscanrange = 4000

M1A2 SEP irscanrange = 3500

But OFP AI can't engage targets further away than 1500 - 1800m.

Another point is the faster APFSDS shells of the T80UM. The BM42M is about 200m/s faster than the American shell.

Only difference until now is the reloadtime of M1A2. And that's the only thing I'm not gonna change.

1st point I totally agree with, and I havent encounted any problem with the RHS T-80 model yet(lucky me?) and is the best option for an equivelent

Not sure about the scanrange though, according to most reports i can find (yes most of them are russian before anyone trys to shoot me) Even in the lastest T series Night Vision systems cant see beyound 2500 let alone identify a target beyond 2000m, and the SEP upgrade to a 2nd gen thermal system that CAN spot and identify beyond 5000m.

Yes the BM42M is faster out of the barrel but has more resistence in the desgin which slows it quicker over distance, has a shorter penetrator and is a Tungsten penetrator encased in steel and therefor less denese than the M829 series. Under 1500m the BM42M is a problem for any tank but over that range from what i can find, it would have serious problem penetrating most modern MBT's frontal arc, thats why they have ATGMs smile_o.gif

I love this model and I can run more than 4 or even 8 M1A2 SEPs at once smile_o.gif Only thing I can find is their accuracy whilst on the move, but that could be only cause so far they are firing up hill while moving smile_o.gif

Wasn`t that bug fixed? huh.gif

RHS has not released a fix yet for this bug.

Quote[/b] ]I havent encounted any problem with the RHS T-80 model yet(lucky me?)

Do you give more than 1 waypoint to the RHS T80 , or just put them in the editor without any waypoints ?

Because that is a known bug of this addon that happen for everyone, and RHS is aware of it as they were working on a fix.

Do you give more than 1 waypoint to the RHS T80 , or just put them in the editor without any waypoints ?

Because that is a known bug of this addon that happen for everyone, and RHS is aware of it as they were working on a fix.

I have 3 platoons that just Hold their positions and 2 platoons hidden on the flanks that are sitting at hold waypoint to move out when in flanking postion of the West force crazy_o.gif Now you've got me bloody curious cause I dont ever remember have this type of problem with any of their T-80's before. Now I have to go test it out rofl.gif

WTF is there not to understand?? People WANT to use this addon in the game...but because of a number of reasons, they can't.Which means that theres an upset in gameplay ALL across the playing field.Addon makers have a responsibility too,and thats to ensure that gameplay remains intact.Why???..because if they don't it affects players in a way that renders them unable to play with others.AND THATS BAD.If addon makers can't get along and work out the gameplay issues...or refuse to address the issues,then its up to others to put it right.And if its copyright issues they're worried about,then just remember whose copyrights they're playin with to begin with.my 2 cents.Keep in mind too all this being in a context of "NON-Comercial" and encompassing ALL addon makers ,not just Homer exclusive.

I don't think you quite understand my point/background.

This could very quickly boil down to another one of those "addon makers owe you nothing" threads (which they still don't)

Anyway, people have been releasing un-ballanced addons since day 1 of addon editing, why is it such a travesty now?

Like people have pointed out, this is the SEP version of the M1, eseentially meant to be "uber" Are you upset that its better than old Russian hardware? Well thats a shame, because it probably is (I can't make a definitive statement on that, because the SEP has never been tested in anger against latest model T-80's or T-90's)

My main point in my little rant was that people were crying because the tank was too "laggy." Most of these people were the same ones in older threads that were begging for a better looking model or for more advanced scripts. Well, Homer and his team delivered that in their excellent (but not quite perfect, yet tounge2.gif ) addon. And like Messiah has pointed out, Homer and his team made very good LODs for the tank, so if you're trying to run OFP maxed out on a 9200 or a TNT2 then you need to re-think your OFP settings. This has been a "problem" with OFP (really its just players being dumb) ever since OFP was released. Basically, don't expect the latest models to run on max detail on outdated hardware.

I don't think you quite understand my point/background.

This could very quickly boil down to another one of those "addon makers owe you nothing" threads (which they still don't)

Anyway, people have been releasing un-ballanced addons since day 1 of addon editing, why is it such a travesty now?

Like people have pointed out, this is the SEP version of the M1, eseentially meant to be "uber" Are you upset that its better than old Russian hardware? Well thats a shame, because it probably is (I can't make a definitive statement on that, because the SEP has never been tested in anger against latest model T-80's or T-90's)

My main point in my little rant was that people were crying because the tank was too "laggy." Most of these people were the same ones in older threads that were begging for a better looking model or for more advanced scripts. Well, Homer and his team delivered that in their excellent (but not quite perfect, yet tounge2.gif ) addon. And like Messiah has pointed out, Homer and his team made very good LODs for the tank, so if you're trying to run OFP maxed out on a 9200 or a TNT2 then you need to re-think your OFP settings. This has been a "problem" with OFP (really its just players being dumb) ever since OFP was released. Basically, don't expect the latest models to run on max detail on outdated hardware.

The reason it wasn't such a travisty up until now,is that it seems things were sorting themselves out. With full conversion mods comming out left and right,and those mods striving to put flashpoint back into some sense,this game has taken a turn for the good.Makes no sense to stray from the path now.And I'd bet most addon makers can see that now.

And no,I'm not saying it doesn't run good for me ,or wheither or not I think its unbalanced...it depends on how you use it and where you use it or wheither or not you use it at all..MY POINT is ...if it doesn't work for you,for whatever reason,and ya want to use it..make it so it does.Too simple.

And the whole "addon makers owe us nothing" thing...is exactly right...but when they start mess'n with our game and how its played....then they'd better be ready and excepting to have changes made so their addons do work and not exclude people from playing with others.

The reason it wasn't such a travisty up until now,is that it seems things were sorting themselves out. With full conversion mods comming out left and right,and those mods striving to put flashpoint back into some sense,this game was taken a turn for the good.Makes no sense to stray from the path now.And I'd bet most addon makers can see that now.

And no,I'm not saying it doesn't run good for me ,or wheither or not I think its unbalanced...it depends on how you use it and where you use it or wheither or not you use it at all..MY POINT is ...if it doesn't work for you,for whatever reason,and ya want to use it..make it so it does.Too simple.

And the whole "addon makers owe us nothing" thing...is exactly right...but when they start mess'n with our game and how its played....then they'd better be ready and excepting to have changes made so their addons do work and not exclude people from playing with others.

Very nicely put!! I also think if it wasn't for the conversion mod's this game would have died a death a long time ago!