Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ArmAs game key/auth system proposal

so are you saying that you need only be authorised once and once only?
Quote[/b] ]what unique ID of computer You speak about? ... You already GETTING the unique key file from the master server after You register Your GRK (simplified content is generated from hash of GRK and Your account info +- some autobus data smile_o.gif ... yet it is still enough to have that ID unique !

from what you are saying here i think - the unique data is not unique at all and is open to hacking

what would work better is to have Arma have a mini program generate a unique code on your computer

then when you register the game online you are assigned a new Key by the developer online

The 2 - code and key - are irrevocably linked and are confirmed everytime you connect to the multiplayer menu ingame

it's made way that's nearly impossible to get original GRK by analyze of "endpoint key file" (maybe in 25 years ? smile_o.gif ...

key is linked to Your account but not exchanged by game to auth server

and

"enpoint key file" is linked to Your account and game check it over auth if it's valid ...

if server bans You over "endpoint key file" ID there can be option that it will ban all "endpoint key files" linked to same GRK or same "gameownership" account ...

(leveled type of ban, single "endpoint key file", single GRK, whole account) ...

I like the idea, the banning methods than can be built around such system is a bit scary.

But I voted NULL! rock.gif

I like the idea, the banning methods than can be built around such system is a bit scary.

Banning methods are to help admins to get rid of bad people and BIS to get rid of cheaters / abusers etc ...

you have nothing to fear unless you cheat or play like a selfish asshat

a server admin can only ban you from his/her server

Banning methods are to help admins to get rid of bad people and BIS to get rid of cheaters / abusers etc ...

I m perfectly sure of that, don’t you think it’s a bit late since in 3 months from now ARMA will be released?

Beside the stages from designing such system to making it ready and secured to be used by customers might cause some delays. For a game that as I speculate only looking for a publisher or something like it?

Intelligent suggestion but bad timing, that refers for BIS anyhow.

But remember nothing officially been disclosed about what BIS really thinks, things like steam still possible! wink_o.gif

Do I look like someone new to the multiplayer arena?? rofl.gif

actually such system is easy to add even now smile_o.gif ...

it's power is in simple layout (sure it can be even more dumbed out but that will just degrade it to useless)...

as for example You can save time to add anticheat and do it later by updates (after release) ...

actually such system is easy to add even now smile_o.gif ...

it's power is in simple layout (sure it can be even more dumbed out but that will just degrade it to useless)...

Lets see about that! wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]as for example You can save time to add anticheat and do it later by updates (after release) ...

That would be a solution that I have nothing against.

Well first off, if you use a protection like starforce, you first need to know if it can go allong with the code of ArMa. Something very important you may not forget. A protection is added by the publisher most of the times, so just before release.

Also more and more people see that protection doesn't stop piracy. And then the question rises, does the cost of the protection system is worth it? Same goes with music, it's not because people are downloading music, that they won't buy the CD. They simply would never buy it even if they couldn't download it. This can be because of moneyproblems etc...

Protection often gives more troubles then they "protect" the game(like starforce, etc...).

Something very important you may not forget. A protection is added by the publisher most of the times, so just before release.

Something to worry about if BIS new possible publisher interested in things such starforce… confused_o.gif

Most of them DO!

so 10 people vote against ... wth why? what's wrong? crazy_o.gif

#11 tounge2.gif

reasons? or just being type who vote always no if an option ? crazy_o.gif

#12 tounge2.gif -Ask the same question!

You got me ...

since now all my polls will be optimized to avoid negative votes biggrin_o.gifrofl.gif

#12  tounge2.gif    -Ask the same question!

You got me ...

since now all my polls will be optimized to avoid negative votes  biggrin_o.gif  rofl.gif

Full of b******t as always!   rofl.gif

The Idea is very similar to Blizzards Battle.net - and with banning ability focused from standalone game-servers instead of "private player-hosting games" will really optimize the system.

I really think this will work. It will require BIS to have a couple servers up around the world, though. But that cant be a problem, considering all the original games they can get instead.

A more simple solution could be, that whenever you go online, the game sends a "auth" towards a central server. The first time you do this with your CD-key. A unique game-ID is generated and saved in game-core (so you cannot remove it).

The central server saves this unique Game-ID with your CD-key.

When you try to play online, you need to be authed by the central server. If your CD-key is correct with your game-ID... You are get authed.

When connecting to game-servers, those servers will check if your game-ID is correct and is authed.

This will give problems when reinstalling the game on a new computer... But it might be possible to "reset" Game-ID by e-mailing BIS or something. It makes it a little harder when reinstalling a game, and that will frighten wareez-players. Maybe you can even have a simple form of registration - so when playing online the first time, the game will ask for your e-mail.

A login for resetting would then be your e-mail as username and cd-key as password.

Hmmm, I realised this is getting very similar to Dwardens, lol smile_o.gif

Except a little simpler. Like Dwarden said, you would be able to have several "Game-IDs", to allow 2 numeriously players on same PC. But when installed on two PCs, you cannot install and play it online on more PCs before resetting the account.

Do I look like someone new to the multiplayer arena?? rofl.gif

well i don't know - what do you look like? biggrin_o.gif

well i don't know - what do you look like? biggrin_o.gif

Is the issue how I look like now? rofl.gif

The way you understood that replay is somewhat funny, so either a cheater or riot causer is scared of those banning methods?

The actual concern was far from this. Such system will cause a delay as I think that’s why I voted null.

Quote[/b] ]You got me ...

since now all my polls will be optimized to avoid negative votes

I think this entire suggestion is suitable for game2, people badly waiting for arma so if they acted in hostile or suspicious manner I really don’t blame them! wink_o.gif

The problem with the ''banning'' of cheaters/abusers on the BIS servers (imagining that BIS would use this kind of system), how do you actually prove someone is cheating?

I played a DM game with Cervo from OFP.info a while back, and I got my butt kicked severely, something like 25 - 2. I had never played DM (in OFP) before, I fare much better in Coop but anyway, I can just forsee kiddies running to system admins and having people that have original copies of the game and have practiced alot to get to the level where they are banned because they got owned, they are so good that they cannot be owned, and therefore the other person must have been cheating.

People that have to maintain ID servers with thousands of IDs on them don't have time to investigate, but just ban the person that was ''cheating''.

To answer the question that will no doubt follow:

"What the hell are you talking about, programmers can add all kinds of code to check for cheats", true, but how long do you really think it will take someone to crack that system? One month if you're lucky.

No system is failsafe, see a cheat/copy protection as a medieval city under siege with only a townguard to protect it, you can never win the war with cheaters, you can only try to plug the breaches in the wall.

Hmmm, I realised this is getting very similar to Dwardens, lol smile_o.gif

Except a little simpler. Like Dwarden said, you would be able to have several "Game-IDs", to allow 2 numeriously players on same PC. But when installed on two PCs, you cannot install and play it online on more PCs before resetting the account.

not sure what you mean by resetting account as my system proposal allows customer to use his "gameowner" account options to REVOKE "endpoint key file" and create new one when there is e.g. HDD/filesystem fault ...

also You can buy more than one GRKs and use with same account ...

"endopoint key files" are not related to hardware or locations used (just simple there can't be 2 same online active)...

whole system was made to allow full mobility to customer yet it prevents abuse of that advantages smile_o.gif

The problem with the ''banning'' of cheaters/abusers on the BIS servers (imagining that BIS would use this kind of system), how do you actually prove someone is cheating?

I played a DM game with Cervo from OFP.info a while back, and I got my butt kicked severely, something like 25 - 2. I had never played DM (in OFP) before, I fare much better in Coop but anyway, I can just forsee kiddies running to system admins and having people that have original copies of the game and have practiced alot to get to the level where they are banned because they got owned, they are so good that they cannot be owned, and therefore the other person must have been cheating.

People that have to maintain ID servers with thousands of IDs on them don't have time to investigate, but just ban the person that was ''cheating''.

To answer the question that will no doubt follow:

"What the hell are you talking about, programmers can add all kinds of code to check for cheats", true, but how long do you really think it will take someone to crack that system? One month if you're lucky.

No system is failsafe, see a cheat/copy protection as a medieval city under siege with only a townguard to protect it, you can never win the war with cheaters, you can only try to plug the breaches in the wall.

Short answer to "How do You actually prove someone is cheating?":

well i think this whole question is stupid and wrong:

Server admin and server owner are in CONTROL and they decide who play and who end on banlist ...

(something like 1st MP rule "don't argue with admin about his server rules" smile_o.gif))

Long answer even Your question is bit more offtopic for this thread (as it belong more to PB thread):

Well ...How You prove someone is cheating ? ... let say Armed Assault will be utilizing something LIKE Punkbuster (to made this answer simple) ...

PB contains scan techniques to detect e.g. d3d hooks or DX file replacements, game files replacements / modifications

and contain feature for remote screenshot of players game screen etc...

let say Armed Assault internal anticheat will do same...

in all cases above you have 99.99% validity that person is cheater and boom admin can ban smile_o.gif

if You are worried about global type of bans from BIS then be sure such bans are established for provable violations

(attack on auth system, attack on AC system etc) ...

in all cases NORMAL FAIR customer got no reason to fear !!!

Quote[/b] ]First : OFFLINE gameplay

Boxed DVD contains only simple check for original DVD in drive and this will be removed in first game patch.

EDIT: THIS mean NO registration / activation needed /EDIT

That's all I need to know. Finally common sense. You have my vote!

Cheers

dunno, but if BIS fail to get someone to sell it this might be the last workable choose (sounds like how they sell VBS1 anyone?) icon_rolleyes.gif

anyway i am more then happy to give my money "directly" into BIS account if they give us what we need firefoxlover.gif

I had a friend who once opened up a video game box (Half Life 2), took out his digital camera phone, and take the picture of the CD-key. He didn;t steal anything, the store employes didn't even care. Now my friend can play Half life 2 online for free.

It should be mandatory to use DVD to install the game, but not mandatory to play the game