Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The the PC loading times is not even 1sec in cells, entering a city however requires some loading time. On the x360 it is somewhat longer but doesn't ruin the fun.

* Spoiler alert *

Damn, any1 at the painting quest yet. I need to talk the certain members of the castle but they don't want to talk to me any suggestions? :P Can't even buy a house there.

***SPOILER***

Mark to read

<span style='color:white'>For them to tell you anything, you need to click the little face in the lower left corner of the screen and play the minigame, or you can bribe them, when you gained their trust, you can ask them the question again. I questioned all the suspects/witnesses and found the paining and "paining equipment" in the girls room, tough the quest still says I need to find more evidence to accuse anyone.</span>

For anyone that has played Morrowind, how are the distances ?

Despite it is stated as being bigger on the paper, does the world feel bigger or smaller than Morrowind ?

And how are the loading time between cells ?

No loading at all, you might see a "loading area" thing flashing but you wont notice it, and it can be removed with a mod  tounge2.gif

IMO the world feels alot smaller then morrowind, i dont know why, maybe because you can see alot further which makes it easier to see things who are supposed to be far away...  tounge2.gif

But morrowind had ofcouse a big mountainarea with constant sandstorms which was completely useless until the end of the mainquest, here the whole area is actually useful...  tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif

The RAI wich is supposed to be great is cool, but it isnt really noticeable, ok you see people eating and sleeping, sometimes hunting etc and everything feels natural, but i was hoping for more noticable things wink_o.gif

EDIT: The leveled lists suck ass, once you are lvl20 that poor bandit wich started with a iron dagger walks around in full daedric armor, wich is ridiculous, oh well, mods mods mods! wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You need to tweak this game carefully :P Yesterday I had a perfect 30 fps now I changed something and have ~15 fps   . Back to the x360 then.  

That's extremely discouraging.

Someone mentioned the game running flawlessly on a slower computer, that's the same problem I had with Morrowind, only the three pcs of varying speeds I owned never ran it right.

Yet my friend with an 1.3ghz AMD ran just fine... fucking killed me.

The only problem is I have a serious problem playing games like this with a controller. I just can't do it. The reduced precision of a joypad just kills it as bad as unreliable performance does.

Bethesda is a shite company for not providing better tech support.

Quote[/b] ]Well best tweak for me was putting grass, distant off and decrease viewdistance. =) I tried the thief class yesterday was quite funny to rob the "best defence" shops armor on the table and selling them.

That's a classic gameplay feature that dates back to Daggerfall, stay in a store after it closes, rob it blind, sell the inventory back the next day.

I miss Daggerfall sad_o.gif

You can only really sell stolen goods to your 'fencer' if you're a theif.

What I like doing is stealing from their room when they're still sleeping in it. It's actually safter than doing it while they're up and about down stairs.

Thieving is fun. Being sneaky is fun. But you gotta be careful when doing quests that involve combat (which should be avoided!wink_o.gif. My blade skills are suck, while my marksman and sneaking is excellent. In any case, as a theif myself I like to keep things distant.

Gotta be careful though.

Picking pockets is risky, but rewarding. Get quite a few keys to rather rich homes when I pick pocket.

Yea being a thief is fun especially sneaking pays off you get 3x damage, very easy to do when you have an bow hehe.

The Dark Brotherhood seems to be fun aswell but first I need to complete the game first with Fighter guild and Arena (easy money in beginning) quest.

Quote[/b] ]Picking pockets is risky, but rewarding. Get quite a few keys to rather rich homes when I pick pocket.
Ehh, where can I see the option for pickpocket? Is it the same as in Morrowind where you get busted when you try it hehe?

@Baphomet:

Well I've played Morrowind for some time on a GF3 ti200 can't remember any slowdowns, the game used a new water shader thingy which was quite fun to see especially when it was raining. I don't want to try Oblivion on the 'minimum' system specs ever lol its really horrible when you put everything down, looks even worse than Morrowind imo. You should atleast have the recommended specs unless Bethesda comes with an sort of magical patch that increases performance.

You can pickpocket people if you crouch/sneak then move the cursor over the person you want to rob, then a red hand will appear on them, then you can take stuff.

Quote[/b] ]@Baphomet:

Well I've played Morrowind for some time on a GF3 ti200 can't remember any slowdowns, the game used a new water shader thingy which was quite fun to see especially when it was raining. I don't want to try Oblivion on the 'minimum' system specs ever lol its really horrible when you put everything down, looks even worse than Morrowind imo. You should atleast have the recommended specs unless Bethesda comes with an sort of magical patch that increases performance.

No, no. It had nothing to do with slowdown and had everything to do with the pausing every 20 to 30 seconds to load the next block of trees, etc.

The framerate was always decent no matter what PC I ran it on, however it always did that frequent loading stutter that lasted a fraction of a second and it just killed it. A good frame rate means nothing if the game pauses intermittently to load random crap.

And additionally, I won't touch Oblivion until I have a new pc. End of story, but I mean if it still suffers from the "morrowind syndrome" of running like complete garbage for completely arbitrary reasons regardless of how powerful your PC is, it makes me question even wanting to buy it to begin with.

If the 360 version had support for a mouse+keypad, there wouldn't be a question I'd opt for it just because it's easier than agonizing over how to configure and spending retarded amounts of money on a system to run it. But I absolutely cannot enjoy games like that with a controller.

You can pickpocket people if you crouch/sneak then move the cursor over the person you want to rob, then a red hand will appear on them, then you can take stuff.

But theyll probably cath you if you sneak is below 25...  smile_o.gif

EDIT: I woudldnt get the 360 version if i were you, you will miss alot of mods!  smile_o.gif

Oh well, i really love the game, my character is like a tank, heavy armor, alot of HP and has 103 strength on a low level  tounge2.gif

But i also like to run around in some cheap clothes with just a bow and a knife and go hunt some deer  biggrin_o.gif

I read in an article that a reviewer shot an item in a busy store with his bow, knocking it off the table and into a dark corner.  Easy to pick up.  Sounds like the options just opened up big time with the new physics. Looks like someone is going to need to make an RFID tag mod tounge2.gif

I must say the game started up promising but I'm now lvl 17 and it's becoming more and more unplayable due to the system taht lets the enmies level with you. Only they seem to gain much more strenght (and of course superior gear) than I do as a total newbie to the series with a role playing oriented character. I had some thinking about it today and there are two options that come to my mind.

1. build a totally powergaming oriented character with unlocical skill settings (frome the role playing perspective) to ensure that you gain maximal modifiers for attributes each time you level. This would have you probably end up pretty much godlike in the end and doesn't suit the role I wanted to play. This would involve setting most of your primary skills you want as "minor" skills ingame and setting skills you don't really need as major skills so that you can control leveling up and continue fighting. because normally you would fight and have your combat skills as major skills. This would however lead to you gaining enough major skillpoints to level rather quickly when you fight monsters. once you get the level up messages the modifiers for your attributes get frozen and when you level you can maybe only assign 2 or 3 points to an attribute. However if you could prevent leveling up before you want it you could fight as much as you want and make sure you get +5 modifier on every attribute you want to raise. then you could get 10 major skillpoints from things you can control (like speechcraft, alchemy , etc) and level up at maximum gain of +5 attribute points. this will surely make your character a lot stronger and most combat skills rise rather quickly anyway so you don't need the bonus of setting it as major skill.

2. don't level, stay at low level until you gained adequate skills to survive in higher levels. Of course the problem there is that you won't be making very much money and the game would probably be pretty boring.

right now I made my wood elf thief and marksman and it's totally unplayable. To survive in even small dugeons I need to heavily exploit the AIs weaknesses or put such heavy use on magical weapons that I can't pay to reacharge from the rather ridiculous rewards you get from most quests. But as it is now it's really no fun. After 2 enemies head back to city and recharge the weapons for horendous prices or snipe them without the AI reacting because of AI flaws/AI getting stuck in difficult terrain at cost of lots of arrows that are also expensive.

I can't even travel in the wilderness anymore. If I can't fast travel to different places I get torn to pieces by the animals that even exceed the running speed of my black horse sometimes.

Before you begin. Yes I use sneak attack, power attack, block whatever there is. I pretty much know how it works now. It's just the enemies grow so strong I can't keep up without exploiting.

For me it's just ridicolous that leveling has almost only negative consequences to me. And not leveling doesn't cut it aswell. Also I actually need to level because I need to loot those superior armors of the NPCs so I can sell them and cover the costs I have :/ Where is the logic that some NPC farmer that never fights will grow stronger and stronger when I fight and develop my skills and he's not?

It started out interesting but by now I'm pretty much losing interest because it's ruining my roleplaying and forcing me into power gaming. it takes me at least 2 hours real time just to steal together enough stuff and sell it to be able to buy the next set of arrows/potion/magical weapon recharges to clear a small dungeon of like 10 monsters.

*to much to quote*

I agree, and if there wont be a mod for it within a week ill friggin make one myself, its easy, just alot of work to figure out wich belongs to what who leveled list...  crazy_o.gif

EDIT: And i really hate all those bandits in full deadric/dwemer/whatever armor! its ridiculous!  tounge2.gif

Really, Kvatch is easy on level 1, while you get raped once you are level 15+, that makes no sence! crazy_o.gif

I found the console UI frustrating enough to make my own UI mod, it changes the inventory, map, most menus, HUD, subtitles, etc...

Some shots here, download here if someone wants it.

Tried this last night, great job, only problem is it displays subtitles in black text despite my choosing subtitles to be off?

Hmm didn't know enemies become stronger aswell. I have not problems so far with them =) with my Conan barbarian character and sword I cut thru enemies quite easily. A better thing might be to create a custom class.

One thing that bugs me is the lack of hotkey configuration and other keyboard implementation due to it being a console port, for example......

Being a lefty I have to move my left hand off the mouse to change weapons via the numbers (or move my right hand from the control arrows all the way over to the left, very dangerous when in combat, any alternative? For example mouse wheel to scroll weapons would be nice, or ability to assign to one of the number pad numbers.

Also when trading and dropping items and such, why can't we press return instead of having to move the mouse pointer all the way over to ok and clicking on that? Again anyone figure out a fix?

Goto your inventory and press&hold 1-8 and there you can assign your items/spells/weapons. When you leave the menu you only have to press 1-8. smile_o.gif The console has also thsi feature but mousewheel would indeed be handy

You can download software that emulates your mouse/keyboard inputs differently.

It is a pain to chat when enabled though smile_o.gif

<span style='color:white'>BTW, don't buy the house in Anvil. 4,000 gold sounds cheap and the guy needs to leave in a 'hurry'. smile_o.gif I found out that the house was haunted when I checked it out, when to the basement and there some sort of an portal don't know what it does. But when you go to sleep in the house you get ambushed by ghost and you turn into a vampire. LOL.</span>

Btw, this mod removeds the leveling enemies. But can unbalance the game.

Btw, this mod removeds the leveling enemies. But can unbalance the game.

Thats really what this game needed!  biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: I did that quest aswell and found it a nice twist wink_o.gif

I just started playing Oblivion, got it today.

It is let`s say this way, zum niederknien schön.

It looks and works fantastic, 1280x1024, 2xAA, Bloom, much Grass and some additional candy. inlove.gif

I`m using Kegetys ui mod, and have disabled the loading message between the cells.

Bought the game two days ago on monday and played it for around 4 hours, just to find out, how the game works..

There were so many great moments, especially during dawn smile_o.gif

At the moment I have to find out, if a person is somehow crazy or so... interesting thing, because I have to follow many people.

But one of the best inventions is, that you can steel everything... I'm playing a honest person, but I already stole a horse and other cool things by accident ^^

This game is big I tell you, taking me so long just to cure this vampire nonsense lol :P.

if u are having problems with mobs who level with u ..just put the difficulty slider a bit to the left (can do this at anytime from the options)

Seems devs supposed everyone would max their skills each level and most ppl only get half the possible skillsgains per level (2-3points instead of 5)

In Daggerfall if you stayed a vampire for long enough you became a "vampire ancient" and essentially lost the game because you became a totally evil-consumed mindless bloodsucker, type-thing.

Is that how it works in Oblivion?

if u are having problems with mobs who level with u ..just put the difficulty slider a bit to the left (can do this at anytime from the options)

Well thats not even the point, its just ridiculous that some poor bandit who started with a knief suddenly runs around in full armor!  tounge2.gif

EDIT: You can probably find a cure against vampirism somewhere, it morrowind it involved (some?) quest(s?), i dont know how it works here, and oce yuo are a vampire you need some blood, if you dont then you get stronger skills but your face will look really crappy and people dont want to talk to you anymore  smile_o.gif