Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

English Translation of DOUPE 15 article

As I couldn't find any translation of the czech article about ArmA in the czech magazine DOUPE 15, I decided to do just another translations of Lord Perth' infamous czech-german translations.:p

Speaking of that, the original german version of the translation can be found in the ArmA-Thread of the GSPB.

http://forum.gamestar.de/gspinbo....ount=68

Armed Assault Preview

Good ol' Flashpoint transferred into a new game, with nice innovations and more beautiful than before. That's, in brief, Armed Assault, the sequel to BIS' game. While early info dated last spring talked about ArmA as a reissue of Operation Flashpoint with a few innovations, the final version will be somewhat different. ArmA is a stand-alone game even if its roots are OFP. In our preview we'll introduce you to innovations that push the gaming experience and that surprise - pleasently.

Closer to mainstream ["mass of gamers" literally]

The first info is shocking: ArmA aims for a larger target group thus carrying some changes along. If you're looking for some sop, I'll clear everything for you: We won't be facing a revolution or an attack on something we loved, but rather an adjusting of the concept. There'll be multiple difficulty levels giving us the option to save more often, to make our fellow combattants tougher, to restrain friendly fire, etc.

Hardcore gamers and fans of OFP shouldn't panic though - ArmA still features the same tough and uncomprimising world they're already used (and they'll still get their super difficult mode)

This time the conflict takes place on an island, about as large as 400 kmË› - that's about as large as the three islands of OFP combined. The environment is richer and more elaborate than before, both its details and accoutrement please the eye. The engine has been nearly entirely reworked, the tree generator, which lets you forget the pseudo trees of OFP, stands for that. Each tree is an object that can be destroyed - driving through a forest with a tank is sensational, and when all the trees are cracking it feels very realistic. That's the case for the whole environment: Towns can be destroyed by bombardement, fences

can be destroyed by cars, etc.

More roles in a mission

An unexpected innovation shows up on a spot, you would hardly have expected. The player will switch between multiple units which contribute to a mission, so the campaign gains an unexpected scale. In the mission we could watch in the developers' presentation the player had to clean a town to advance on the enemy's camp afterwards. While the main force is advancing on the new objective, the player takes the role of a sniper and cleans the approaches.

Completed single player missions will be available in coop mode, in which you'll be able to try out the different roles over and over.

The multiplayer mode gains importence, but at this point we want to describe the single player campaign. Altough it's shorter and it features only half as many missions as OFP, it'll feature a richer and even better gaming experience. The island the action takes place on is seperated in two halfs: The north is a post-communist run-down country whilst the south is a flourishing pro-west country. As in real life the two different forms of governments (and ideologies) don't come along with another very well, and the american army, doing a manoeuvre, intervenes in the conflict, the player will slip into the role of a soldier that is in the american forces. Although the length of the campaign will be shorter than in Flashpoint, the coop mode will countervail this.

Huge battles featuring umpteen players

We hail the reworked multiplayer that BIS has put more work on than before. The multiplayer features huge battles with umpteen players, places left idle will be filled up with bots. Due to the time such a mp game consumes - depending on the map up to several hours - the players may join in progress. The game won't restrain the number of players participating, it solely depends on the single computers. It's already possible today to fight battles with up to 60 players. That number, promising an unseen experience is only an outlook on the huge battlefields of the "future".

Due to multiplayer and the idle places filled up by bots the importance of A.I. rises, the developer team is intensively working on this topic. The enemies will be capable of calling support, taking cover - everything to make them capable of replacing real players and to make a adequate team member. The editor will enhance the durability of the game and we can look forward to further extensions (e.g. new dinghys, choppers, etc.)

It's not necessary to comment on the graphics - form yourself a view by the screenshots and the assurance that the game will look a lot more beautiful and vivious than OFP. Thanks to the used technology ArmA looks good, and it'll run on current computers without a problem. A 2,4 GHz precessor and 1 GB RAM are adequate for a good running gaming experience at good quality. But the developers still have to do the final optimization which will bring down the hardware requirements.

That alone should be enough to calm down the worries, that players of military simulations will have about ArmA. The rest of the ingredients let assume that the obsession called Operation Flashpoint - now called Armed Assault - will erupt once again. We're excitedly anticipating it.

General Info box:

Genre: Military action

Developer: Bohemia Interactive Studio

Czech publisher: Cenega Czech

Release: fall 2006

Infobox about Game 2

Even if ArmA carries some interesting innovations, the developers are working on a game called "Game 2" that has been designed as a totally new game ab initio. Game 2 shall feature a more thrilling experience than OFP or ArmA - it shall be a next-gen military simulation. This goal shall be reached by total freedom concerning solving the missions and a reworked A.I. that learns from its own experiences and that has its own memory. But these are just dreams from the future - Game two will come end 2007 at the earliest, with regard to ArmA's postponement it'll probably come even later.

Thanks to ... notworthy.gif

spoock for scanning & posting the czech article

Lord Perth for doing a german translation another time.

I'm sorry for any mistranslations and therefore any confusion I might create. I'm doing my best here.

If anyone finds a grammatical or spelling mistake, he may keep it for himself. tounge2.gif

Wait, what?! wow_o.gif I don't like this at all... Changing units, focus on the mainstream player, etc. sad_o.gif

EDIT: Thanks for translating into an understandable language, bör. smile_o.gif

Hehe end 2007/sometime in 2008 for "game2"..... wow_o.gif

Well Armas and what I hope will be a extrodinary mod community should easily make the 12-18 months between those games alot easier then anything else smile_o.gif

Oh and THANKS for the translation biggrin_o.gif

Wait, what?! wow_o.gif I don't like this at all... Changing units, focus on the mainstream player, etc. sad_o.gif

EDIT: Thanks for translating into an understandable language, bör. smile_o.gif

As long as the "hardcore" vet mode is still there then it is ok in my opinion.

Should at least open more possibilities and get more sales and more people to play MP as well.

And as for the unit changing it is just like a merging of the seperate classes\characters we played in OPF, though now within one mission....at least that is how I understand it.

Guest Ti0n3r

Hmm.. Closer to mainstream.. We'll see. Some nice info and some not too nice info.

Great interview. Thanks alot for the translation! firefoxlover.gif

I think the unit-switching is OK. you could switch the soldier in M1 Tank Platoon, too, which added greatly to the experience. and this is a classic top-notch simulation.

You don't really know what the unit switching exactly is. If they mean you play a mission as a pilot, then another mission as a black-op then again as a normal soldier. This was already in the original campaign of OFP, and it was quite nice as it teached you to fly, drive, fire other guns/vehicles/planes/choppers.

You don't really know what the unit switching exactly is. If they mean you play a mission as a pilot, then another mission as a black-op then again as a normal soldier. This was already in the original campaign of OFP, and it was quite nice as it teached you to fly, drive, fire other guns/vehicles/planes/choppers.

I hope its like that, because if it isnt, and we get some kind of the xbox version of battlefield, then im not sure if i will like ArmA...

And OFP turning mainstream... Ouch.., i dont like the majority of the people.. crazy_o.gif

I think it means you play a mission as a certain unit, then THE SAME mission as another unit in this mission. So, when a mission has 25 friendly units, you could play it 25 times and each time be ANOTHER unit. Sometimes it would make no big difference like being solier 1 or soldier 2, but on other times you'd be switching from medic to pilot, etc.

Sure sounds as a great reply value trick:)

I think it means you play a mission as a certain unit, then THE SAME mission as another unit in this mission. So, when a mission has 25 friendly units, you could play it 25 times and each time be ANOTHER unit. Sometimes it would make no big difference like being solier 1 or soldier 2, but on other times you'd be switching from medic to pilot, etc.

Wow, that does sounds awesome, i already unPBOed some original missions and did it by hand, but that didnt always work very well...  biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: Are we forced to replay a mission as another soldier, or is it a possibility? huh.gif

Completed single player missions will be available in coop mode, in which you'll be able to try out the different roles over and over.

After 'unlocking' you'd be able to choose i think

yer thats the way i read it but I wonder if u can play in the nth army then start a new game in the sth army.

Oh, man... I seriously do NOT like this one bit. Mainstream players? Hell, I play this game partially to get away from all the BF2 and MOH unrealistic I-can-kill 300 "tangos" crap.

Man, now I'm all worried... crazy_o.gif

Modders will de-mainstream it anyways ... to be honest: i'll buy it just for the modding wink_o.gif.

But hey if its fun to change groups during a mission , what about it?

With the powerfull editor you can make relaistic missions as often and many as you wish.

Just my two cents

Greets Chris

I don't think you'll be able to change groups during the play, but only at the start of mission. So you can play it being a medic, or a LAW-soldier or pilot or something else, not swap during the mission(that would be bad in my opinion and I don't see how they do the story then)

But anyway, it's multiplayer that is the most important thing for me, especially co-op, and I don't think that is in it, except that you can choose your role at the start of it.(so I guess the same in SP)

Oh, man... I seriously do NOT like this one bit. Mainstream players? Hell, I play this game partially to get away from all the BF2 and MOH unrealistic I-can-kill 300 "tangos" crap.

+1

I _HATE_ damned CS, BF, MoH kind of games and I hate their supporters TWICE! they are killing the QUALITY, hell if BIS wants to taste a little of the "big" pie, may be they should better to keep original hardcore gamers isolated from shoot'em up bozos... and I DO NOT think that any OFP fan in this forum would like to share OFP universe with those "undiciplined shooters"

and FALL 2006 is another MISHANDLING of OFP FANs I suppose

Come on guys. See the final product as first...

Quote[/b] ]Hardcore gamers and fans of OFP shouldn't panic though - ArmA still features the same tough and uncomprimising world they're already used (and they'll still get their super difficult mode)

notworthy.gif

+1

I _HATE_ damned CS, BF, MoH kind of games and I hate their supporters TWICE! they are killing the QUALITY, hell if BIS wants to taste a little of the "big" pie, may be they should better to keep original hardcore gamers isolated from shoot'em up bozos... and I DO NOT think that any OFP fan in this forum would like to share OFP universe with those "undiciplined shooters"

From what the interviews says, NOTHING has been towned down, you just have the options to make things easier. If you don't like it, don't do it, as simple as that. I don't really see the issue

+1

From what the interviews says, NOTHING has been towned down, you just have the options to make things easier. If you don't like it, don't do it, as simple as that. I don't really see the issue

perhaps "a possible issue" is more based on estimation rather than seeing it...

anyways, I trust BIS as they have produced a unique game, the OFP, and since they told that Armed Assault will be a updated version I expect more hardcore and intensive game but hearing that those "mainstream bozos" are going to be taken into account for further planning just makes me worry about future of OFP

My god ppl, don't panic so quick. If you panic that quick how can you survive a OFP co-op hahaha:) Anyway, it is the OFP engine (AI, physics) which make OFP shine. They won't take that away, it will become better.

So if they present that engine with outlines, diamonds, name-above-head, autoaim, whatever ... i don't care, the engine stays the same. Hard-core OFP vets turn all aids off and all is fine.

Now there is really no prob. If BIS makes a bit more money in the process, well i say it is wel deserved!

It seems OK, so long as they dont force you to morph roles in order to complete a mission during campaign or such, and of course all those antifriendly fire crap options can be turned off, which i guess "ArmA still features the same tough and uncomprimising world they're already used (and they'll still get their super difficult mode)" means it can.

NO FREAKING WAY!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

I thought BIS was something different, I thought BIS is not that kind of a money sucker, but here it comes, YES. OH GOD WHY HAD THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN!? BIS! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING! Closer to mainstream! My ass! Ofp was something different, but now...I certainly wont be buying ArmA! confused_o.gif

Goodbye ArmA and BIS, I was expecting a quality product from you, but no. See you at Game 2 if it makes more sense, for now I'm buying Enemy in Sight. I am dissapointed goodnight.gif

you don't even know what they are talking about, it's to vague, and you already decide to not buy the game, then what's the point posting here, they won't change it.

I've been eyeing enemy in sight myself, maybe it'll be good. Public multiplayer is already filled with asshats, (last i checked long ago), imagine what'll happen when more of these guys come and to 0wn us in a virtual penis measurment contest.

I'll play on the russian side and pretend they are conscripts or something, until ofcourse they start team killing out of frustration that - once more in life - they failed at something. And ofcourse they will start calling people that don't like getting teamkilled "nerds" cause "i tke teh gam to serisly lol". I am allergic to irony, rendering me multiplayer incapable. Ofcourse the l33t dudes will abuse any glitch or bug that will give them even a slight advantage.

Enough whining for today, i'll take a look if they release a demo and if not i won't throw money at things i'm uncertain of.