Blake

Steel Beasts Pro PE

You can give them orders, but not crew them. I think you can steer them, though.

Thanks for the answer.

Can the game be modified and if so, in what manners? For example, would it only be possible to replace the Danish 2 colour camouflage pattern on the Leopard2A5 to the three colour camouflage used by the German and Dutch armies or would it be possible to define another vehicle with such a new skin?

Regards,

Sander

Yes, you can modify textures. I've seen some Leo2s with WWII style Afrika Korps desert camo, for example. Just can't change model or configs, I think.

How's the AI? Does it launch smoke grenades for cover?

Do BMP-1s and 2s use missles also in addition to their main guns, do some more thinly armored enemy vehicles flee when faced with heavy armor?

Yes, smoke grenades are used - usually when a vehicle is hit and still under fire. And yes, the BMPs fire missiles.

Oh, I remember the massive battles in the original game.. Has much changed since then, or are the controls and features about the same as before?

It's a real shame that only western tanks are (truly) playable. Still, I'm prepared to pay for this game.

I never played SB1, only the demo. But yes, I've fought some large battles (company to battalion sized). And eSim has plans to make some of the Russian vehicles crewable but I don't know how high their priority is. They also said they had plans to include more Russian/Chinese gear, like T-55s, -62s, BMP3s, etc.

Just seen afew videos of this game in action and must say i was damn impressed by it, the style looked like the game "enemy in sights", and the nightvision scopes and thermals looked ace wink_o.gif

However the tank destruction effects didnt raise any eyebrows crazy_o.gif

Just seen afew videos of this game in action

That is because it is not a game but a military simulator released in a Personal Edition, similar to what was done to VBS1.

That is because it is not a game but a military simulator released in a Personal Edition, similar to what was done to VBS1.

Still, they could have made a couple animations.

Same with infantry... They look like symbols being moved on screen :/ - I realise its a sim, but so little could make it look so much more polished smile_o.gif

I love the way you move around in the tanks though... What positions are crewable in the tanks? Gunner, driver, loader and commander?

Is multiplayer available?

Considering it's meant to train tankers i'd say yes. wink_o.gif

OK, I finally got bored replaying the training missions over and over so I tried a couple of the combat missions.

Wow... just simply amazing. I just feels like the first time I played OFP.

I never played a modern tank sim before this. OFP/VBS don't really count. Incredibly hard at first, but man o' man this sim is really nice.

The damage effects do not bother me in the slightest. You still get tanks cooking off ammo, turrets flying in the air occasionally, etc. I personally like the 4.5km viewdistance, extremely fluid framerates and realism over eyecandy.

The soldiers are 2d sprites, but at anything over 200m you don't notice that playing the game. In screenshots yes, stressed out trying to take out a moving apc at 1500m with infantry nearby you don't notice they are that low res.

Still, they could have made a couple animations.

Same with infantry... They look like symbols being moved on screen :/ - I realise its a sim, but so little could make it look so much more polished smile_o.gif

I love the way you move around in the tanks though... What positions are crewable in the tanks? Gunner, driver, loader and commander?

I disagree about the animations. Everything is perfectly functional, and unless you're making a movie of the game that's all that's needed. I'm glad the devs concentrated on making a non-buggy, realistic, crash-free and engrossing sim instead of more animations. smile_o.gif

Infantry, as I mentioned, are getting a major overhaul in a couple months, probably right after the CV9040C gets released. And yes, there is multiplayer.

This looks like a great sim. I loved M1 Tank platoon 2.

Can you use the commander .50 cal or is it just for show ?

I plan on buying this but I just spent some cash on a piss-up.

You can use the .50 cal. It's actually very useful too - it has no problem taking out BMPs, MTLBs or BTRs (or M113s for that matter)

kool. I like tanks sims so I cant wait till I get the money.

Btw anyone wondering how I'm going to buy it I'm gonna with my dads Amex wink_o.gif

I really like the way landscape is represented in this sim... Once I'll have money, this "game" is mine. smile_o.gif

May some happy owner tell us how does destruction of buildings look like in SBP?

I know they catch on fire, but I haven't noticed if they do any kind of destruction sequence. I'll fire a couple rounds into a building tonite and let you know how it goes. smile_o.gif

omg , i been waiting for a sim like this since m1 abrahams on the sega smile_o.gif. whats the mp comunity like ? is there one ? any euro servers ?. and last but not least where i buy it smile_o.gif ?

And if you cant afford to dish out the 125 USD you can get steel beasts 1 gold from ebay for less than 10 euros like I did. yay.gif

Based on the movies Ive seen of SB PRo it looks like the gameplay is virtually identical to the old SB Gold. Other than improved terrain graphics and tank internals what is so different to compell me to pay $125. Thanks for the update.

Based on the movies Ive seen of SB PRo it looks like the gameplay is virtually identical to the old SB Gold. Other than improved terrain graphics and tank internals what is so different to compell me to pay $125. Thanks for the update.

Have'nt played it myself but having a resolution better than 640x480 would make quite a difference alone. There's also more improved minefields, obstacles, support, terrain and of course more controllable vehicles.

Im currently waiting for someone to get bored enough with SB pro PE and then buy it for say.. 90 dollars.

If you don't think you want it now, my suggestion is don't buy it. I'm a big fan of all armored vehicles, so $125 is money well spent for me. If you're just a casual fan or looking for less than a brutally difficult game, save your money for SB2. Honestly, if you can't justify buying it now, after seeing the screenshots and movies, don't buy it. You'll probably regret it.

Same for VBS - these are not priced for casual gamers. If the only game you play is OFP or Steel Beasts and almost nothing else, then these sims are right up your alley. If you like to spend a lot of time with a lot of games, then you should probably wait.

For me, OFP and M1 Tank Platoon 2 are my all time favorite games. Hence, I could justify VBS and Steel Beasts because I hardly play anything else (save, maybe Falcon 4 and the odd game of Day of Defeat). If someone was to come out with a brilliant version of something like Command & Conquer that could have everything you ever wanted in it for $150, I'd pass because thats not my kind of game. Same for something like Battlefield 2 - if there was a superdeluxe $200 version I'd still pass on it. The pricetag should not tempt you if you're a casual gamer and it should not bother you if you're a genre-specific gamer.