Blake

Steel Beasts Pro PE

Mission played by UK-armour on 17jan16. A Heavy company in delay/defence against an enemy BN.
The first 30 minutes are getting into position and waiting for contact. The action starts after that..

[video:youtube]

full-25770-115592-cold_war_battles_v.jpg

The Demolition Guard 1989
Date: 25th may 1989
Time: 05:30 local time (GMT+2)

0)PRELUDE:
Visit youtube and search for a movie called "the demolition guard" and watch it to get a gist of how this scenario will play out and things to take into consideration and also to help set the mood right.

1)SITUATION:
a)Enemy:
3rd Shock Army have launched it attack west from the East German border. 245th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment (GMRR) has been identified together with 153th tank regiment (TR) to our EAST about 25km away.
The 47th Guards tank division have failed taking UELZEN, so they are most likely trying to find another way west. 245th GMRR are using BMP-2 and 153th TR has been seen with T-64B versions, so we sure are up for a fight.
Enemy Course of Action:
The Soviets are desperate for an intact bridge so expect anything in the book including civilian infiltrators to tactical air assault. But most likely COA is for the MRR to push WEST in best speed with a CRP up front and the remaining Regiment following soon after.

b)Own:
Our brigade (12th Armd Bde) are tasked with delaying Soviet forces advance until further orders.
Our Battalion (1st Royal Green Jackets [1 RGJ]) are delaying in the area of ESCHEDE - UNTERLÃœSS - BAD BODENTEICH - WAHRENHOLZ with our south flank covered by 1 R IRISH RANGER.
A COY are to our east together with parts of C SQN 4 RTR delaying the enemy, C COY are to our NORTH defending the ASCHAU DAM's and further north.
We, the B COY of 1 RGJ are located WEST of ESCHEDE tasked with being demolition guard for the ESCHEDE bridge who is the only remaining standing bridge after the Royal Engineers have blown up all other bridges in the area to delay the Soviets.

c)Attachments and detachments:
i)From other units:
1 Sect of 2 Javelin AA systems (RBS70) transported in FV432 from 10 (Assaye) Air Defence Battery RA (10th AD Bty RA)
1 Trp of Engineers from 1st Field Sqn, 21st Engineer Regiment Royal Engineer in FV432. (21st Eng Reg RE)
1 Trp of Challengers from C Squadron,4th Royal Tank Regiment (C SQN 4 RTR)
137th Fd Bty from 40th Field Regiment Royal Artillery (40th Fd Reg RA) (6 tubes with 26 HE and 10WP each)
ii)Attachments from Battalion's Support Company (S COY)
1 Sect of 81mm Mortar (2 tubes 49HE and 20 WP each)
1 Sect of Milan ATGM (2 FV432 with 2 Milan team each)
2 Sect of Scimitars from Battalion recce platoon. (1 sect = 2 Scimitars each).

d)Terrain & Weather:
i)Terrain is fairly flat with open farmlands patched with small forests and small villages (mainly SCHARNHORST and ENDEHOLZ) posing no threat to armoured manoeuvres.
Through the AO runs a river named ASCHAU that is between 10-30m wide running in NORTH-SOUTH direction splitting the town of ESCHEDE in one WESTERN and one EASTERN part, with the EASTERN part being the smaller one.
On the WESTERN side you find down-town, School, railway station and industrial areas. Also in NORTH-SOUTH/SOUTHWEST direction goes the one track railway between CELLE and UELZEN but it imposes no effects on us or our enemy's movement.
The road network is very good, main road is B191 who is going from NORTHEAST to SOUTHWEST through ESCHEDE and L283/K20 that runs in a WEST-EAST direction through ESCHEDE.

ii)Weather
Weather forecast is initially cloudy with a weak WEST-SOUTHWEST wind (1-3m/s) and 10-14C+ but later during the morning the clouds will disappear and temperatures will rise to 20-25C+.
Afternoon will see clouds and temperatures at 20C+ and light winds. Weather Forecast for tonight/early morning morning is rain and 15C+.

e)Civilians:
The war has taken many Germans with surprise and many are fleeing west to get away from the advancing Soviet forces. This means much civilian traffic on the roads and as the Soviets now are within artillery distance they have been firing sporadic fire missions on intersections and other roads, causing both military and civilian casualty's.
Many civilians are still in ESCHEDE and surrounding villages so you need to take them into consideration when doing your plan. Be aware of East German infiltrators who are transmitting intel to Soviet forces, we have already picked up radio transmission in the ESCHEDE area indicating we have indeed infiltrators in our AO.
Any Infiltrator found in our area are to be arrested and handed over to the German police.

2)MISSION:
B COY, 1 Royal Green Jackets are tasked with defending and prepare the bridge over ASCHAU for demolition until all friendly forces are across or enemy forces threaten to capture the bridge when it shall be destroyed by detonation. Once the bridge are blown up B COY are tasked with defending ESCHEDE in EASTERN direction, from the WEST bank until further order arrives.
B COY are also tasked with keeping L283/K20 OPEN for as long as possible, enabling friendly troops and civilians to use the road to march WEST.

3)EXECUTION:
This is up to you! But some valuable information from your attachments are as follows:
i)LIASON OFFICER from A COY (Lt Wilkinson):
Our friendly units on the eastern bank of ASCHAU is as follows:

*A COY 1 RGJ (Callsign 1-1,1-2 & 1-3)
*C COY (1) 4 RTR (Callsign 1-3 & 2-3)
When all of them have passed you are cleared to blow the bridge. Obviously disorganized or lost units can still show up and want to cross the bridge (including fleeing civilians) so do not blow up the bridge to early.
One of my soldiers will be at the bridge counting and reporting the units passing the bridge to me so we can keep a track of them. You can expect the first element of A COY to arrive at the bridge around 6 am (30min into game).

ii)ROYAL ENGINEERS:
It will take the lads about 15min to put all the charges in place and put the bridge in state 1, ready to be blown up on your command. Once the message that the bridge is ready to blow has arrived the engineers can withdraw from the bridge.

iii)FORTIFICATIONS & TRP
In the upper left corner there are fortifications for Challenger, FV432 and Bunkers for infantry plus TRP (Target Reference Points) that you can place wherever you like. Be aware ATGM teams like Milan do not deploy inside bunkers.

5)COMMAND AND SIGNALS:
i)COMMAND:
OC will be with his track 2-0 over time. 2IC is X.

ii)SIGNALS:
a)Frequencies as before on VHF, OC owns the net.
b)
OC B COY = Two-Zero (20)
1st Plt = Two-One (21, then 21A,21B & 21C)
2nd Plt = Two-Two (22)
3rd Plt = Two-Three (23)
4th Plt C SQN = Tango-Three-Four (T34)
4th Plt (CSS) = Two-Four (24) Bravo for MED and Charlie for ARV
1 Sect Mortar = Mike-One-Zero (M10)
2 Sect Scimitar = Mike-Two-Zero-Alpha (M20A) and Mike-Two-Zero-Bravo (M20B)
1 Trp Milan = Mike Three-Zero (M30)
1st Troop RE = Echo-One-Zero (E10)
1 Sect Javelin AD = Alpha-Four-Zero (A40)
137th Field Bty RA = Foxtrot-Three-Two (F32)

6)SCENARIO DETAILS:
i)To "arrest" a Civilian infiltrator you simply kill them with MG fire. Infiltrators are dressed as civilians but have some obvious tools that make them stick out from the ordinary civilians.

ii)To blow up the bridge you need E10 (the engineer party) to stay within 100m from the bridge marked "bridge area" in thin grey line for 15mins where-after you will get a message saying the bridge is ready to be detonated. Once that message has been sent you can detonate the bridge by using trigger 1 "BLOW THE BRIDGE!" with a 6 sec delay. The engineer vehicles need to be alive when you pull the trigger so make sure they are safe!

iii)The RBS70 are replacement for Blowpipe/Javelin Ground to Air missile.

iv)M113A2 with MG3 are stand in for FV432

v)Challenger 2 are stand in for Chieftains.

vi)To stop Civilian traffic across the bridge (on the EASTERN side) use trigger "STOP ALL CIVILIAN TRAFFIC", be aware you do need to have troops on the EAST side of the bridge (within the small village directly on the east side of the bridge). This will be a permanent stop so once the civilian traffic are stopped it's permanent.

vii)In upper left corner you have TRP, Bunkers and Challenger/M113 dugouts for your defence that can be moved anywhere on map.

viii)Map updates are OWN ONLY + Friendly ID ON.

Game starte at 24 jan 2016 at 19:00 UTC/GMT, 20:00 CET

TS Server: teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160124T19&p1=%3A

Clearing Fjärrby V3.sce
WARNING ORDER

BRIEFING:
5 hours ago the Russians took the village of Fjärrby, and the Brigade commander wants it taken back in order to secure the clearing up along road 15. T-80, T72 along with Mech Infantry have been reported as present. The remnants of our battalion have been given orders to proceed immediately with all units available.

OUR FORCES:
1-5 and 2-5 tank platoon + 1 Co tank
1x mech inf platoon
1x mortar section

ORDER:
Form up at PL LD. TAKE FJÄRRBY (OBJECTIVE IMOLA), secure the road to FJÄRRBY KYRKA (CHURCH) and take FJÄRRBY KYRKA (OBJECTIVE PADOVA). Expect enemy contact after ENY line at Road 125.

BfIrDjh.jpg

Video AAR of the engagement. Perspective of 3-5. Went pretty well, ate the endphase I did not overwatch the left flank propperly. Result was one K-Kill and one M-Kill in my platoon. I was to eager to join the fight in Fjärrby ;-)

Last sunday's UK-armour game. A Heavy combat team(company size) in attack including a river crossing

I personally don't think he meant to be condescending. In any case, the military clients would probably have been running Steel Beasts on toasters only several years ago. Still, the answer to this should not be "GTFO go2WoT". It should be something more like directly telling him "Check dejawolf's graphics of Armored Warfare map size compared to Steel Beasts map size".

I myself have a liking for old graphics from the early–mid 2000s, and would be happy with native anisotropic filtering support and texture resolution increases. I'm happy with the additions to 4.0 myself. The Marder and Luchs will be CQB monsters in the hands of someone who can do knife fights.

I've never heard of this issue before. Please explain.

Most values are exaggerated. Some examples:

for ammunition, check this:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Ammunition_Data

390mm penetration for the "BM-20" APFSDS?! What the hell they are thinking? If it would be real, it would be an Abrams killer at short ranges! Real performance is only 240mm/2km

http://www.russianarms.ru/forum/index.php/topic,10510.0.html

Or 840mm penetration for M829A3? WTF? Real performance is somewhere between 650-700mm, although it has a very clever ERA defeat mechanism.

http://below-the-turret-ring.blogspot.hu/2016/02/m829a3-apfsds-penetration-power-common.html

Armor:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Leopard_AS1

165mm glacis plate???! It is well known that the thickness here is 70mm, at 60 degrees, which is equal to 140mm only.

So, the problem is that SB still uses the old, outdated estimations by Paul Lakowski. There are some corrections here and there, but most of the info is too old.

I think the problem is with the Steel Beasts Wiki itself being inaccurate. The Ammunition Data page lists 12.7mm B-32 as AP rather than AP-I. And the Leo AS1 image is from 2011, so the armor could have gotten updated since then.

Version 4.0 is out and in my opinion the graphics and immersion have come on in leaps and bounds, plus all of the crew stations on my old favourite the M60a3 are now accurately modelled. If I could just get an M60a1 RISE with Passive armour I'll be in tank heaven.

Something about Steel Beasts Pro, be it the UI or the new top down view in version 4.0, makes controlling small combined arms groups really intuitive and exciting - the new view almost adds an RTS aspect to the sim although with much higher functionality when it comes to on-the-fly waypoint behaviour and individual unit tactics. Its never going to better ArmA when it comes to infantry simulation but the improvements in this area of Steel Beasts over the last few years have been fairly staggering.  

Here's a pic I posted on the SB forum a couple of days ago showing off version 4.0, albeit with some help from Reshade v 2.0.

BackUp_small.jpg.0c9870ff892f4fff9b665b4

• Like 1

Some thread clean-up here. Please be civil to each other.Thanks ;)

BohemiaBeck, the closeted Steel Beasts community member, has censored my posts in this thread because they cast uncomfortable sunlight on his precious. He used the ridiculous excuse that they constituted "flaming," a conclusion that no other moderation team member has come regarding the nearly 4 years of my remaining posts in this thread. Don't rave at me about how I "broke the rules". By their failure to respond to my PMs in a timely manner (I've been waiting nearly a week to hear back from Placebo, for instance, and even longer for ineptaphid to respond to my appeal and apology), the moderation team has left me with no recourse but to make a public stink.

Just to make this clear, I´m not a member of the Steel Beasts community, I do not own the game, I have basically almost zero interest in the game.

I still thought, you coming to this forum, to bitch about another forum, was pretty annoying. I´d much rather just see information about the game itself in this thread.

• Like 3

Just to make this clear, I´m not a member of the Steel Beasts community, I do not own the game, I have basically almost zero interest in the game.

I still thought, you coming to this forum, to bitch about another forum, was pretty annoying. I´d much rather just see information about the game itself in this thread.

Same here, please keep other communities drama somewhere else.

• Like 1

That's just your opinion. I am certain that innumerable people do not share it.

Same here, please keep other communities drama somewhere else.

You object to sunlight? That thing which is often declared to be the best disinfectant? Gee, I wonder why?

That's just your opinion. I am certain that innumerable people do not share it.

Wrong, it's a rule on this forum.

§6)Do not start threads relating to discussions on other boards

What happens in this forum should stay in this forum and vice versa, conversations other than those strictly relating to OPF matters should not be brought into these forums from others.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/35023-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/?hl=forum+rules

• Like 2

I agree. I have a low-level interest in SB (having played the 1st iteration) and am always disappointed to see gossip replacing actual SB information.