Blake

Steel Beasts Pro PE

Understood, I will not post any more on the topic.

I just felt people should know his views were not that of the majority of member or visitors to the SB forum

I intend to be a part of this forum discussing all things armour related

I hope I am permitted to address Dominic calmly. I also understand that I am not a majority of members. But when numerous people other than me are complaining about the conduct of your community in general, like in that SimHQ thread I linked to where people were complaining about the community in general before this thread was mentioned, it really should force the Steel Beasts community to take a hard look in the mirror. As for taking quotes out of context, that has not happened. Look back in this thread, and you will see that the quotes are substantial, with links to back them up. No one before you and Abu complained about them being taken out of context. Think about that for a minute.

Dominic, if you want to respond, I am open to you PMing me.

Fine, now that we settled this, do they plan to upgrade their engine in the forseeable future? Better Graphics together with (much) more micro terrain would be things that peak my interest.

Fine, now that we settled this, do they plan to upgrade their engine in the forseeable future? Better Graphics together with (much) more micro terrain would be things that peak my interest.

They got lighting in 2013 for version 2.64, their next engine upgrade (targeting mostly terrain / environment if I remember correctly) is due mid next year... they were going to try and show it off at ITEC 2016. When they release it, that'll also be their next paid update since 2.64 as well.

I can confirm what Fadi says about the next engine improving terrain. Nils said somewhere that the terrain will have sub-meter mesh. The sim also has HDR and built-in AA now.

I consider proper micro terrain to be very important for a tank sim, so if they implement that I might take another look at it.

yes, that and detailed driving physics. That's what i would expect from a tank simulator at least...

Don't know. The store and purchase option a convenient. And when you skin through the support forum ( http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/forumdisplay.php?f=17 ) any call for help of users is solved rather quickly and directly.

If that mean second rate customer, I'd be interested to hear what you'd expect from a software company?[/Quote]

I'm not talking about forum support, i'm talking about the development of updates and new features. And as you've mentioned, he apparently is only really caring for military contracts and their needs apparently, ergo them beeing first rate customers.

They got lighting in 2013 for version 2.64, their next engine upgrade (targeting mostly terrain / environment if I remember correctly) is due mid next year... they were going to try and show it off at ITEC 2016. When they release it, that'll also be their next paid update since 2.64 as well.

Current Version is 3.025. The last "pay for" update was 3.002. It added f.e. dynamic view distance "management". That can be used to simulate improving/worsening weather conditions.

The new terrain system will hopefully also solve the problems with riverbanks. The interesting question will be if they can keep the strain on PC's moderate with that improvement...as 12,5x12,5 m terrain resolution needs much less CPU and memory then a 1x1m one.

Would suck if the 20x20 km maps with 6000+ m view distance would keep my framerates one digit :-P

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

yes, that and detailed driving physics. That's what i would expect from a tank simulator at least...

I'm not talking about forum support, i'm talking about the development of updates and new features. And as you've mentioned, he apparently is only really caring for military contracts and their needs apparently, ergo them beeing first rate customers.

So your main problem is that there is a customers who gets more then you?

That argument would also be valid for BI, after all the VBS customers get better stuff then ArmA buyers.

Edited by Ronin_GE

How frequent are the pay for updates and how significant are they?

Normally about every two years or so they normally contain a significant amount of new vehicles not all playable though

I will admit I am a fan boy and can honestly say i never had a issue paying for a update IMO there worth the money

Current Version is 3.025. The last "pay for" update was 3.002.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I apparently confused myself from when I picked it up / when I last paid for an update... erm.

Nils himself somewhere has said every 15 months, plus or minus 3 months.
Normally about every two years or so they normally contain a significant amount of new vehicles not all playable though

I will admit I am a fan boy and can honestly say i never had a issue paying for a update IMO there worth the money

I'm a fanboy of the sim too.

The usual pattern was something like this:

-between 15-24 Month between paid "upgrades", these usually have a good number of new content to make them worthwhile

-a "quick fix" to adress bugs that slipped through a few month after that

-and "update" at halftime between the "upgrade" releases, these usually contain mainly bugfixes and "behind the scenes" improvements and only a small amount of new content (f.e. the BTR-50 in the last one)

-update price has been between 25$ and 40$

If you don't want to pick an upgrade at its time, for whatever reason (no money, not interested in that particular content, no time to play anyway etc etc etc), you get all the content of the past ones, with the next you do buy.

That is definitely not cheap. But many who buy, find it priceworthy.

This friday's MP-session with french/german and one US player :-)

So your main problem is that there is a customers who gets more then you?

That argument would also be valid for BI, after all the VBS customers get better stuff then ArmA buyers.

No i'm not talking about content, i'm talking about development and prioritisation of features. Arma and VBS parted ways for a reason, each have dedicated development teams. Military decision makers are way less worried about fps, graphics, usability and so on then gamers... As can be seen in VBS, where alot of features (underground structures, snow) are complete ressource hogs that would never make into a game.

More importantly - can you still play with an old version, or will it become unusable after an update?

More importantly - can you still play with an old version, or will it become unusable after an update?
Yeah, you can still use an older version.

Yeah, you can still use an older version.

in MP too?

in MP too?
I can say no from firsthand experience. In MP, mixing versions results in any unit you leave warping back to where it started.:mad:

I can say no from firsthand experience. In MP, mixing versions results in any unit you leave warping back to where it started.:mad:

Though I'd guess people with older versions can still play with others with older versions, yeah?

(I've only really played multiplayer a few times, mostly with a couple people I know who were checking out secondaries from me of the current version)

Though I'd guess people with older versions can still play with others with older versions, yeah?

(I've only really played multiplayer a few times, mostly with a couple people I know who were checking out secondaries from me of the current version)

Yes, as long as the versions are the same, people can play older versions in MP.

Hi

If anyone needs any help or advice about Steel Beasts Pro then please contact me or visit the Dogs of War Vu

Regards

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Hi

More info

www.DogsofWarVu.com

Vu forum:

www.DogsofWarVu.com/forum

The forum has a lot of help and advice as well as a beginners section.

There is also someone available in the Dogs of War room on TeamSpeak.

Teamspeak Download (windows): http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads&type=ts3_windows_client_latest

Teamspeak IP: 216.22.24.158 , Port 9987

Room: Dogs of War

DOW Vu is constantly pushing the boundaries of Steel Beasts and are trying to make it accessible for all players. We have a large group of like-minded mature players who play and meet regularly. We have introduced many new players to Steel Beasts. We spend hours every week helping Steel Beasts players. DOW is not a toxic community. We do not accept any bullying, racism or personal attacks. I cannot speak for others only Dogs of War. This Vu stays away from the drama that is common.

DOW play many games each week. Friday, Sat & Sun @ 20:00GMT. As well as during the week.

sig_noname_zps046349e7.png

To Asid;

So the rest of the community on SB is toxic? They're all racist and bullies? Sure sounds like that is what you are saying. Which in turn sounds like you might be stirring the pot a bit, which might be the reason people are hostile towards you and your group. I don't know for sure, but it seems that way to me. Good luck with all that. I for one have been involved with the SB community for many years, and while there are some ego's and differing views, I can say that anytime there is a huge misunderstanding, it's mostly to blame on personality conflicts. Which unless you live in a sterile bubble, and have no contact with the outside world, that stuff happens on a daily basis. People need to grow some skin and realize that everyone is entitled to one thing, and one thing only. Their opinion. From what I've seen on SB, most of the people have a good nature and are more than willing to help and guide newbies. The internet is hard to convey sarcasm on, and some people's first language is not English, so I feel a lot can get lost in translation. Gotta make like a duck, and let it roll off of your back.

To Asid;

So the rest of the community on SB is toxic? They're all racist and bullies? Sure sounds like that is what you are saying. Which in turn sounds like you might be stirring the pot a bit, which might be the reason people are hostile towards you and your group. I don't know for sure, but it seems that way to me. Good luck with all that. I for one have been involved with the SB community for many years, and while there are some ego's and differing views, I can say that anytime there is a huge misunderstanding, it's mostly to blame on personality conflicts. Which unless you live in a sterile bubble, and have no contact with the outside world, that stuff happens on a daily basis. People need to grow some skin and realize that everyone is entitled to one thing, and one thing only. Their opinion. From what I've seen on SB, most of the people have a good nature and are more than willing to help and guide newbies. The internet is hard to convey sarcasm on, and some people's first language is not English, so I feel a lot can get lost in translation. Gotta make like a duck, and let it roll off of your back.

+1

finally somebody telling it how it is.

Dominic/Marko

@ All as previously stated don't air of dirty laundry from another forum, this is a final warning. Any further such posts will find the appropriate action issued.

Thanks

R0adki11