Blake

Steel Beasts Pro PE

My SB Pro PE arrived yesterday and it is definately worth the investement. The terrain is big 20kmx20km section which you select from a map of 80kmx80km and there are plenty of those big accurate satellite-based IRL terrains to select from. The editor is great and offers quite a lot of possible scenarios and other stuff for the designer. There are lots of vehicles of which not nearly all are fully simulated, but of those done fully the M2A2 Bradley for example is great fun and requires different approach than main battle tanks. I'm just simply saying if you liked first SB or have interest in modern armor this is a definite have, the command of platoons in the map also plays like a realistic RTS in itself. The replay in 3d is great fun as it shows exactly who shot who and where and what damage it caused with great detail.

Well these are just shortly my first impressions scratching the surface for good deal of hours but this game definately has longevity and value for money more than I expected. If you are familiar with SB then you learn this pretty quickly but it is definately more than graphics update, its completely new experience and very very immersive.

I put some yesterday's shots and videos here:

http://kyllikki.fi/temp/sb/

My rig is 2600XP with 1024MB and Radeon 9600 and the game runs pretty well on 1024x768 32bit with the high detail settings. So no fears of the power-hog that T-72 BoF was.

Well, I'm a big tank fan and I like to buy it but I don't have a credit card neither anyone of my family has. It's a shame they don't have any other payment options to chose. The 100 Euros are waiting in my pocket.

Nice combat and gfx/sound details! (I still think ArmA is going to wipe the floor with it though, maybe not in the details, but the general capability) pistols.gif

It's possible to order SB Pro PE without credit card from for example here: http://www.okaysoft.de/sbp.htm

They put some extra fees in it think, check terms of payment and delivery first...

... I still think ArmA is going to wipe the floor with it though, maybe not in the details, but the general capability)

I doubt that graphically enhanced "game" will beat the specialized "simulator" on its field. Not to mention the different focus of both softwares - SB are about armor, AA will be again about infantry...

Hellfish, any news on buildings destruction? smile_o.gif

Comparing this and ArmA is pretty much like comparing BF2 and OFP. wink_o.gif

It's possible to order SB Pro PE without credit card from for example here: http://www.okaysoft.de/sbp.htm

They put some extra fees in it think, check terms of payment and delivery first...

Thanks, gonna order it from there when it is available.

Hellfish, any news on buildings destruction? smile_o.gif

Nope - they don't break into happy little pieces.

I never played SB1, only the demo. But yes, I've fought some large battles (company to battalion sized). And eSim has plans to make some of the Russian vehicles crewable but I don't know how high their priority is. They also said they had plans to include more Russian/Chinese gear, like T-55s, -62s, BMP3s, etc.

I can imagine they'd do it to allow very realistic opfor training.

After receiving a fair amount of money because of my birthday I decided to order steel beasts pro PE. It better be good at 105 euros damnit. yay.gif

Hello all,

sorry for the "little" bump but it's a just cause : a big update for this great tank simulation :

http://www.youtube.com/user/eSimGamesDtl#p/a

A few links for the 2.6 incoming on December :

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3415875/SB_Pro_PE_2_620_The_Beta_Exper.html#Post3415875

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/sbgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=16922

And just for rappel, the official site :

http://www.esimgames.com/

Sorry for my poor english, have a good day.

That's truest form of simulation for ya.

Call me wierd but I prefer that style over what we have in most games these days..the overuse in shaders and shiny makes things look more fake than real, real military vehicles hardly cast any specular lighting especially ground.

Edited by NodUnit

That's truest form of simulation for ya.

Call me wierd but I prefer that style over what we have in most games these days..the overuse in shaders and shiny makes things look more fake than real, real military vehicles hardly cast any specular lighting especially ground.

While that is true, the graphics in Steel Beasts are really outdated. Its like they are still in 2001

While that is true, the graphics in Steel Beasts are really outdated. Its like they are still in 2001

My impression from reading about it way back is that it's a form of hi-brow nerd-rage :) good graphics compromises the fidelity of the simulation i.e. wasted development time.

even with such graphic game much more realistic than arma I remember my battles with

150 vs 150 tanks :)

After watching some gameplay footage, I think I liked what I saw. I see the outdated graphics (mainly in the water and in the infantry), but I would easily overcome it I think.

Just a question, I see MBTs, APCs and IFVs, but are there self propelled artillery and self propelled anti aircraft weapons (present in the game world, not away from sight/map)?

Nice gallery, will take some time to see every detail each picture contains...

I asked about the artillery because I'm really addicted to it (yeah, kind obcessive, as I will never join the army). I'm researching and trying to understand every bit of it. Would be nice (to me, of course) to see it represented in such a detailed simulator.

Edited by [GR]Operative

After receiving a fair amount of money because of my birthday I decided to order steel beasts pro PE. It better be good at 105 euros damnit. yay.gif

Infantry simulation is it's weakness, but for armoured warfare simulation it's astonishingly realistic. I no longer play it because I lost the dongle when I moved house but I do remember that the graphics menu was kind of hard to find, in fact I played for several months before I even realised that there was a graphics menu! The game looks surprisingly good when graphics are at the highest settings.

Please post your opinion of the game after you play it for a few days.