Sign in to follow this  
KDog35

Aircraft/A-10 and others

What about AWACS? Did anybody hear anything about those in AA. It should be possible to create a script for it that increases the irScan for other planes around. Same goes for some long range ground-based radars.

Furia please don't hotlink images greater than 100kb smile_o.gif

Furia please don't hotlink images greater than 100kb smile_o.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Uups Sorry. I forgot about the size limit.

I was carried away by the excellent C-130 picture.

Will not happen again

C1303s.jpg

What about AWACS? Did anybody hear anything about those in AA. It should be possible to create a script for it that increases the irScan for other planes around. Same goes for some long range ground-based radars.

well AWACS/JSTARS could be very usefull for CTI missions however like we mentioned before there should be more detection details more than fake IRscan, I recommend "Dangerous Waters, Sub Command" style actual RADAR scanner as well as ESM (Elec. Surveillance Measures) detections and even a real Thermal Sight mounted surveillance cameras could be very usefull to support a large scale vehicle supported operations, like in CTI missions...

I mean, briefly there is much gap in electronic warfare aspects in OFP if its going to be handled as a vehicular combat simulation, but still its perfect as a vehicle supported infantry simulation

Another important thing to fix in Armed Assault related to OFP "issues" is that Planes or helos have the option to have a map window open while flying, I mean a small map window with your unit on the center.

If this is not possible at least please make that when player is on the map screen but flying, if he mosves the mouse Cursor to center the map, the aircraft does not follow those movements many times crashing.

Same goes when typing.

It would be perfect to have a feature than when player is looking at map or typing, the aircraft reverted to a "straight and level flight" keeping same altitude and heading it had at the moment player went to the map Screen or strted typing a message.

This will save many crashes and makes aircraft more friendly to fly.

Another important thing to fix in Armed Assault related to OFP "issues" is that Planes or helos have the option to have a map window open while flying, I mean a small map window with your unit on the center.

If this is not possible at least please make that when player is on the map screen but flying, if he mosves the mouse Cursor to center the map, the aircraft does not follow those movements many times crashing.

Same goes when typing.

It would be perfect to have a feature than when player is looking at map or typing, the aircraft reverted to a "straight and level flight" keeping same altitude and heading it had at the moment player went to the map Screen or strted typing a message.

This will save many crashes and makes aircraft more friendly to fly.

Furia, I think that the problem you are addressing should be resolved by an AutoPilot/Flight Computer option in OFP Standarts , because mini-map thingies are for BF kind games.

Briefly and Basically,

*Autopilot (HOLD) could be as basical to keep current speed/alt/course hold

*Flight Computer can be used by creating Waypoints by clicking map interface (could be usefull for large maps with enemy AA presence)

*Autopilot (NAV) could be implemented to combine two options stated above

and a last additional thing, those chatting (non-intercom/non-direct) over radio should result with EW detection by the enemy.

LOL yes this would be just beautiful, even having VOR stations on the map or even Tacan Approaches to the airport not to mention a working ILS.

However since I know BIS is not going to implement those I would just be happy if the make that the plane gets automatically "straight and level" the moment I neter on the Nav map and if I move the cursor/mouse there, the plane does not follow the commands.

Maybe this can be also enebled on the Settings Edit. that if a joystic is detected the fly by mouse is disabbled on aircrafts. so when on the map station the mouse imputs does not make the aircaft move.

I think I've overcome this problem in the past by enabling the 'look with mouse' key, this disables control surface commands from the mouse so that map navigation can be made w/o crashing your plane. However, if you've enabled any control to the right mouse button it will still respond to this.  wink_o.gif

Certainly room for improvement!

Wat about MIG's and SU's which are better then any F-14/15/16/18 (mig-29,Su-27, Su-30, Mig-1.42[not sure about number])

Well, the original OFP engine only support ground-attack planes, the air-fight, especially the dogfight is horrible, even with addons.

A-10C - Close Air Support fighter. Good for ArmA, because main role to destroy ground target.

F-14 - grounded, out of active duty

F-15C - air superiority fighter, air fight not a strong side of the OFP engine

F-15E - fighter/bomber, good for ArmA, because it's main role to deliver plenty of bombs

F-16 family - multi-role fighter, good for ArmA, because use to attack ground targets (LGB's, JDAM's, Maverick's, etc.)

F-18 family - multi-role fighter, good for ArmA, as the F-16

F-22A - air superiority fighter, as the F-15C, not to good for ArmA

F-117A - stealth light bomber, perhaps good for ArmA, can be use special operations, not undetectable, just hard to detect

Su-25T - Close Air Support fighter. Good for ArmA, as A-10C opponent

MiG-29A/B - Air superiority fighter, only good in dogfight, wich is again not a strong side of the OFP/ArmA engine (if the BIS won't change to much)

MiG-29C - Air superiority fighter, only several active tough, won't be a good choice

Su-27S/SK - Air superiority fighter, equal for early F-15C variants, upgraded F-15C's are better with the AIM-120 AAM's. Not too good for ArmA.

Su-30MK/MKI/MKK - Multi-role fighter. Used by India, China and Malaysia, good for ArmA, as F-16/F-18 opponent.

Su-33 - Multi-role carier based fighter. Perhaps good for carrier based F-18A/C opponent.

Su-35/-37 - Not in active duty, just prototypes

S-37/Su-47 - Not in active duty, just prototype

MiG 1.42/1.44 - Not in active duty, just prototype

Eurofighter - Multi-role fighter. Good for ArmA as the F-18 family

Gripen - Multi-role fighter. Good for ArmA, as the F-16 family

Mirage 2000 - Multi-role fighter. Good for ArmA, as the F-16 family

Rafale - Multi-role fighter. Good for ArmA, as the F-18 family

If they do add air superiority fighters I think the F-22 vs SU-47 would be a good match, even though Russia isn't building them, yet (due to lack of money). If ArmA makes use of Air units, having air superiority might be importaint. If they do, someone in an A-10 or SU-25 wont be able to own everyone because they will be vulnerable to such fighters. I'm not sure at this point, but I would sure love to have more things to shoot out of the skies tounge2.gif

LOL yes this would be just beautiful, even having VOR stations on the map or even Tacan Approaches to the airport not to mention a working ILS.

However since I know BIS is not going to implement those I would just be happy if the make that the plane gets automatically "straight and level" the moment I neter on the Nav map and if I move the cursor/mouse there, the plane does not follow the commands.

Maybe this can be also enebled on the Settings Edit. that if a joystic is detected the fly by mouse is disabbled on aircrafts. so when on the map station the mouse imputs does not make the aircaft move.

When going to the mapscreen now, I simply hold ALT.

Mig-29 fulcrum C is multi-role, The Su-30 mki  is better then F-15 C/D

http://newsfromrussia.com/world/2004/06/30/54664.html

I heard a rumor before that the US pilots lost to the Indian pilots on purpose to support the case for the F-22 program.

Just a rumor though.

AWACS? That'd be cool and it would be another way for pilots to work together as a team.

I see no topics here or curiousity of which jets we may get. F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-117 and the great can opener would be nice.

Dear KDog35,

It would indeed be nice to see these aircraft in game. As far as I understand it the F16 and F18 and some of the others have ground attack capabilities so it would work nice smile_o.gif I think some have already been made though and apparently they're very good smile_o.gif

Hopefully the flight model is a little more detailed this time around.. but I still think that those faster-than-sound aircraft would be wasted in this game. Some other aircraft like the bronco would be more realistic to impliment and more usable.

Hopefully the flight model is a little more detailed this time around.. but I still think that those faster-than-sound aircraft would be wasted in this game.  Some other aircraft like the bronco would be more realistic to impliment and more usable.

A sensible point, well made.

I think it would also be nice though to provide users with the opportunity to fly their favourite aeroplane. Especially thinking along the lines of the F-15,F-16,and F-18 given their popularity with old and well known games such as Strike Eagle, Falcon and Interceptor smile_o.gif

Hopefully the flight model is a little more detailed this time around.. but I still think that those faster-than-sound aircraft would be wasted in this game.  Some other aircraft like the bronco would be more realistic to impliment and more usable.

We should be able to controll flight modes for CAS aircrafts to prevent AI flying around like dumbheads. Those aircrafts have to behave like real heavy flying things, move, in drop bombs and fly away. They`re flying so slow, and sometimes so low that you can nearly destroy them with a granade. (we should be able to change it in CAS options too (not only in the editor).

The faster aircrafts should spawn somewhere on the map (in the `friendly` area of course) , fly over the island and disapear. That`s the only way I can see it...

edit: There`s one scene in the Jarhead movie, when 2 a10 are flying quite low, above infantry, really stunning one, that`s reminds me the sounds of jets... whistle.gif

Exactly.

Even the maximum range of the Hellfire missile is 7km. The maximum range of the maveric missile is around 27km (depending on altitude), and has a top speed of 1100 km/h. I'm betting that most of us haven't even seen 1/2 of that (7km) view distance. Warfare is a lot different, and the technology that we currently have struggles with the concept of aircavalry and CAS from helecopters. It struggles with flight as a whole, especially fixed wing flight... weapon systems don't operate on the scale that they should. Frankly, rather than supersonic jet fighters that could clear the map in the blink of an eye, much less SEE anything on it, I would like to see artillery or something smile_o.gif

maximum range of the maveric missile is around 27km (depending on altitude)

Wow, never knew that. That's some distance.

I would like to see artillery or something smile_o.gif

Don't worry about that mate, we can make that with what we already have smile_o.gif