moricky

When The World Ends mision

WHEN THE WORLD ENDS v1.4

by Gaia

Last updated: 6th November 2006

poster_tn.jpg

Official mission page

Hello,

this is my more then half a year old mission, but it's translated to English only for few weeks. I worked on it for almost one year and it's my best and the most complicated mission. More info, list of addons and download link on the official mission page (link under the "poster").

Mission is now compatible with ECP, FDF and CSLAII.

Edited by Moricky
Fixed hyperlinks
  • Like 3

Very impressive work Gaia. Thanks for annotation my nick with link to my review on your site. This is one of the best unofficial missions in OFP smile_o.gif

Downloading now...

In the Addons Requirements it says you don't need the Antonov addon for the versions higher than 1.0, but you do; you get a bunch of error messages, and ultimately CTD when the mission should start.

Not quite my cup of tea, but it seems like a highly polished and enjoyable mission (so I'll 'keep it' ), and as the first assigment was easy, the second one (Shadow Play) is a tough nut to crack; it seems impossible to reach the target with your chopper not to be spotted by those patrol boats (mission's end).

But I'll beat it ... Eventually ... Once I'll return back to her ...

Okay, quick beta style review.

Overview

Beautiful. One of the best I've seen

Intro

Didn't load, missing addons "bas_repairh" or something like that

Briefing

Well put together and informative. I like it.

Mission

Missiong addon "fml_objects". I thought I had the farmland objects addon installed confused_o.gif .

Mission loads fine anyway.

Presentation is simply wonderful. The use of Rsc, the camera angles in cutscenes, it all comes together to create something of a masterpiece.

I don't understand however, why you use titleText for some of the speech when in other places you use Rsc's, Rsc's are of much higher quality. Stick with them.

Now, I didn't actually complete the whole mission, just the first segment, and I'll tell you why.

We have two limits while playing this mission, the first being speed and the second being height.

The latter is fine, I love flying low, it adds to immersion massively, but the speed, this just bores me. When I fly a helo I like to fly low, fast and deadly.. here I can't. I start getting bored after flying the first kilometre.

Secondly, even after reading through the whole stealth instruction manual you have provided, I am still being spotted by patrol boats, and every time this happens the mission abrubtly finishes with a "mission failed" screen. How about making the mission 10x harder if you're spotted. I'd much prefer to be spotted and have a few shilkas and Hokums sent my way than constantly watch my speed, height AND the position of every single enemy patrol boat (and they seem to cover 99.9% of the wayer).

It gets very very annoying when you've been caught the 16th time and can do nothing about it once this happens.

On a side note, watching that ant go down was damn beautiful.

XCess

missing addons "bas_repairh" or something like that

Missiong addon "fml_objects"

Try to play it without these addons. Sometimes Flashpoint needs addons which are installed, but not needed.

Second part of mission, Shadow Play, is really quite boring, but it's necessary to mission storyline. But good use of UAV and fly close to shore (but not above, especially near some village) is good way to complete the task. Be sure that third (and fourth, fifth and sixth) task will be more funny and much faster.

It gets very very annoying when you've been caught the 16th time and can do nothing about it once this happens.

Have you ever tried to reduce your view distance to the 900m norm?

I can't stand it that always the mission makers are blamed by players with high end systems when they realize that they are spotted to early. wink_o.gif

Spotting system is based od distance, height and difficulty. I deleted spotting by knowsabout because is sometimes causes problems (after load, for example).

And viewdistance is reduced in this part.

Try to play it without these addons. Sometimes Flashpoint needs addons which are installed, but not needed.

Have you edited them out of the mission.sqm manually?

Have you edited them out of the mission.sqm manually?

Of course, just look at addon list.

Flashpoint sometimes show error message about missing addon which is installed (and played), but not needed for mission. For prevent it just launch OFP only with needed addons for missions.

EDIT: And I havent both the BAS addons and FML addons, so it's Flashpoint bug. wink_o.gif

Still can't get past the second segment. Get almost as far as the second arrow and when I get there I'm spotted almost straight away by patrol boats.

Also, I jut pressed ALT+F4 to quit, forgetting about the retry update it gives.... so now if I carry on it will be from the beginnng mad_o.gif

Couldn't you just get that CIA dude to snipe the targetinstead of making me do it tounge2.gif

Or even better, give me an m24 and tell me t go by foot and kill the bastard!!

Couldn't you just get that CIA dude to snipe the targetinstead of making me do it tounge2.gif

That's not job for CIA ...

But if you complete this task, there will be no stealth - only action (and run).

The best ofp SP mission I've ever played. The cinematics were amazing. Great camera movements, better than watching a movie. After playing this, its hard to go back to other maps as this was a work of perfection - congratulations on a mission that couldnt be any better.

There were only two minor bugs that I encountered while playing the mission and was on the last objective. I received the 'resouce title 372 not found' before the last objective started. When rescueing the CIA agent, the cutscene triggered before all enemy soldiers were killed. The first bug didnt cause any problems, and after retrying the rescue twice the cutscene worked without pilots being shot by stray enemy soldiers.

Dont let this stop others from downloading, as its still is a perfect mission, especially if you like flying helicopters. The plot (from what I gather) is partly based on a Tom Clancy novel, and portrays an excellent storyline. Im trying not to write anything about the mission as I wouldnt want to ruin it for others.

The scripting is excellent along with the use of addons - for those of you who still get errors, try loading a mod folder with the addons that are mentioned in the readme. (For the links, replace http...[gamezone] with [gamepark], as ofp.info recently changed their homepage).)

This is OFP at its best, download it now if youre still thinking to download - you will not regret it. Thanks Gaia, Silver Falcon and Munch as well as all the makers of the mission - a great work of art!

exec

The mission is a really professional production. Good camera scenes, well made texts, voice, hints. Good briefing and overview. I finished the second mission, then I stopped because it was too annoying to restart over and over. I flew that marked route back, but it stopped all the time. Missions makers have to find a balance for people who dont know the structures of the mission in the editor. A mission maker knows where to fly, because he put the boats/dead areas. But a normal player can't really figure our where dead zones are. I played on easy mode, and the dead zones were too strict. I would prefer for an easy mode that you have more freedom with your chopper, because even noobs like me can play your mission then. On hard it's ok to make dead zones and enemy boats all over. I suggest you fix more on the difficulty level, so everyone can play your mission from beginning to end. Like I already said I really like the presentation of this mission, but the mission hardness bores me.

The mission is a really professional production. Good camera scenes, well made texts, voice, hints. Good briefing and overview. I finished the second mission, then I stopped because it was too annoying to restart over and over. I flew that marked route back, but it stopped all the time. Missions makers have to find a balance for people who dont know the structures of the mission in the editor. A mission maker knows where to fly, because he put the boats/dead areas. But a normal player can't really figure our where dead zones are. I played on easy mode, and the dead zones were too strict. I would prefer for an easy mode that you have more freedom with your chopper, because even noobs like me can play your mission then. On hard it's ok to make dead zones and enemy boats all over. I suggest you fix more on the difficulty level, so everyone can play your mission from beginning to end. Like I already said I really like the presentation of this mission, but the mission hardness bores me.

Problem with boats too?

The coast approach in the second part is not easy but try to think of sneaking from bush to bush near an enemy camp on foot while doing this. Don't use your helicopter like a helicopter in this moment. Find good hiding spots in the coastline and update the drone infos all the time, to get a good idea of the patrol boat movements. Then you adapt your timing.

There were only two minor bugs that I encountered while playing the mission and was on the last objective. I received the 'resouce title 372 not found' before the last objective started. When rescueing the CIA agent, the cutscene triggered before all enemy soldiers were killed. The first bug didnt cause any problems, and after retrying the rescue twice the cutscene worked without pilots being shot by stray enemy soldiers.

Thank you for good review.

Enemy soldier in cutscene shouldnt be there becuse I killed all of them on start of cutscene. But it seems that someone of them survived my scripting.

But I dont know reason of missing 372 title, because there is none in the mission. I searched all scripts for it but without result. What does "last objective" mean - flight to the radar and silo or final battle?

Boat are placed randomly, like theirs waypoints, so also for me it wasnt so easy. But there is one way which is quite safer then others - and if you read the briefing (especially Stealth flight part) attentively, you will find it. Its importatnt to use map and UAV and learn boat routes.

At the very start of the last objective: Operation Splinter. Its right after the cutsene of the radio in from the jeep for the two dead guards ("Fydor"), and before embarking the helicopter to destroy radar and silo. edit: It was 370, not 372 - Ill try to depbo and find out where it is from. Here is the screenshot:

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd8/201887/resource370.jpg

Its a minor bug - just an error message actually. The mission will still play after clicking 'ok'.

I dont think you should change anything for the difficulty of being spotted patrol boats - players should make use of the UAV and plan their movements accordingly.

I think the max height is good, gives some space for movement while youre dodging trees. Max speed is fine, I would have it a little higher since I like flying fast - but thats a matter of opinion.

Again, it is still the best single player mission I've ever played, period.

Yeah, I found it. I was error in time countdown, now it is available new file where its corrected. It happens only on medium difficulty.

Thank you

Well, I tried this mission again, and it seems I just can't go along with it; if I would been shooted down or killed by 50th times because I can't fly lower than 20m or slower than 100km, or because I'm detected by those patrol boats, that's fine, I'm a lousy pilot or a soldier then, I don't deserve to survive longer than I did, but: "your flying height is higher than 20m ('detected by a radar' ) - game over", "your chopper's speed is more than 100km - game over" ... Not like such flying is a difficult one, I just can't coupe with all those 'game over' things, and I don't like the missions, where the structure of the mission force you to use a cheat save (I hate to-don't use those cheats, so I don't use it in this mission also) literally every few seconds ("you've been detected by a patrol boat - game over"), if you want to 'advance'. Sorry.

Quote[/b] ]

Again, it is still the best single player mission I've ever played, period.

This quote nicely shown, how the player's tastes are different. And right is so. wink_o.gif

(I hate to-don't use those cheats, so I don't use it in this mission also)

In older version I restricted using of SAVEGAME cheat, but everybody hated that, so I allowed it once again.

I can say that this mission is like Hawk In Nets - for someone (mostly for the one who accomplished it) its one of the best missions ever and for someone its boring and limited work. And I think (and hope) that both is true, because part of the mission after second objective is fast, swift and full of action.

@Gaia

Could you give me the list of your ofp settings (especially the view distance), and mod list, with which you play, so I could try this mission with them? Those settings, mods and addons (even something so 'innocent' as Berghoff's Nature Pack) can dramatically change the game play expirience, and consequently make some missions 'unplayable', or at least a different playing expirience as author predicted.

When I was tested the mission, I didnt used any other addons except the needed ones, and I hadnt Berghoff Nature pack, retex islands or any other island changes. My view distance was 900 (now, with better PC, is 2500) and it was without any lags.

With FDF its without any lag, with ECP its only a bit laggy on worse computer, but still playable. Its not recommended to play mission with CSLA II if you have not a the latest model of high-end computer with the best graphic card smile_o.gif

Thanks.

Not that a lag is a problem, not at all, I'm just detected so bloody easily in second assigment, sometimes even before those boats became a red dots on chopper's scanner array!  I'm 'blaiming' for this my view distance (2850m), and ECP's AI Info Sharing.

I'm still convinced, that all that 'game over' solutions are a wrong approach; such an approach just don't fit into a game like OFP is. It would be much better with some kind of general alarm, triggered by those limitations (20m, 100km/h, patrol boats) e.g. your detection, and then with hunting on you, but you'll be able to continue the assigment, and -if you're skillful enough- able to complete it (or not - in second assigment you could have a 'time limit' approach; after possible detection, the player would have some time to complete the assigment, before that house is evacuated for instance).

I'm playing OFP with ECP, spiced with some visual enhancements, I'll try this mission without them, and with a standard view distance. I think there should be some kind of 'silence agreement' amoung the mission makers and the players, with which 'standardized' settings the user missions should be played in order to garantee apropriate-adequate playing expirience. Unified view distance (standarded 900m) should certainly be one of them. wink_o.gif

It doesent matter on view distance, because alarm is not based on KnowsAbout, but on distance heli/ship, fly height and difficulty.

alarm is not based on KnowsAbout, but on distance heli/ship

Really? Well, that's ... unrealistical to say at least.