Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

IMHO an animated triggerfinger is the most stupid sugestion ive seen on this forum yet smile_o.gif

Well, second... right after pink elephants

Well, you haven`t seen the request for "a*s scratching anim" then...

It`s quite logical thing, even more logical than insects on the island, but It`s not necessary, that`s all...I`mt talking about the animated finger of course...

i have to disagree with Espectro,

some simple effects will be in and why not a simple anim like the finger?

Its preaty logical they will add it in the final version.

Finger anim will help the game to be even more realistic. (believe it or not, use your imagination)

After all we are talking about ARMED ASSAULT from the year 2006/2007 and not a game from the year 1998.

I believe the anim will be in, makes all sense the anim be in. thumbs-up.gif

I cant believe you're having such a huge argument over one finger.

There are plenty of other issues I'd rather BIS fix than fucking around making sure the index finger of every soldier flexes when he squeezes the trigger.

I mean come on people, look at what you're posting. How the fuck does whether or not the finger actually pulls the trigger or not effect the realism? Ok, so the eyecandy might not be there, but theres plenty of other eyecandy thats missing too.

Seriously, bitching over something as small as the damn trigger finger really is petty. its been said over and over and over, the ONLY time you're EVER going to see it is in cutscenes or pissing around in the editor. If you've got time to be looking at your trigger finger in the middle of a firefight, well, thats a pretty poor game imho.

Take Counter Strike as an example. I know for a FACT that CS:S has animated trigger fingers. I only know this because I was looking at the pretty new skin I'm just replaced the Sig 550 with on an empty server. I don't even notice the GUN when I'm actually playing, let alone whether the finger is flexing away on the trigger. And don't give me any bullshit about seeing it on other players/units. Because I barely have time to process what weapon they're using, if that. I'm more interested in either supporting them or shooting the bastard.

The way the hand is in OFP is more blur cause the hand/finger is ready in the trigger.

Now in ARMA you can especific see the finger paralel to the gun, ready to compress and hit the trigger.

If BIS use the finger extended in arma they must do a anim. It will be very strange if they dont do the anim as we can see in the animation video. (it would be a step negative to the image of the game)

Else BIS could use the same old OFP position of the finger/hand.

What the hell man? Are you on crack or something? How the HELL is whether or not the trigger finger flexes when firing the weapon going to degrade the image of ArmA?

People will buy the game because they want to fight on 400 square Km of land with Armour, Aviation, Artillery support. Because they are able to drive ANY vehicle in the game and go ANYWHERE they like, not being funneled through corridors. Thats why people will buy the game, not because the trigger finger flexes.

Seriously, stop posting such bullshit, get some perspective and appreciate the biggest free-form modern military simulator for what it is, not what it lacks in the index finger department.

crazy_o.gif

I cant believe you're having such a huge argument over one finger.

There are plenty of other issues I'd rather BIS fix than fucking around making sure the index finger of every soldier flexes when he squeezes the trigger.

I mean come on people, look at what you're posting. How the fuck does whether or not the finger actually pulls the trigger or not effect the realism? Ok, so the eyecandy might not be there, but theres plenty of other eyecandy thats missing too.

Seriously, bitching over something as small as the damn trigger finger really is petty. its been said over and over and over, the ONLY time you're EVER going to see it is in cutscenes or pissing around in the editor. If you've got time to be looking at your trigger finger in the middle of a firefight, well, thats a pretty poor game imho.

you guys are always saying we are always bitching about this and that, why dont give an opinion about it instead of making it hard and creat discusions? Some opinions can bring the best and better for this game.

Take Counter Strike as an example. I know for a FACT that CS:S has animated trigger fingers. I only know this because I was looking at the pretty new skin I'm just replaced the Sig 550 with on an empty server. I don't even notice the GUN when I'm actually playing, let alone whether the finger is flexing away on the trigger. And don't give me any bullshit about seeing it on other players/units. Because I barely have time to process what weapon they're using, if that. I'm more interested in either supporting them or shooting the bastard.

The finger matter can be a sigh for a squad team in a mission, if hes using a Silence weapon you can order a attack if you see the guy press the trigger. so i suggest stop trolling about it and think why the finger anim can be usefull in the game.

What the hell man? Are you on crack or something?

was that really necessary?

How the HELL is whether or not the trigger finger flexes when firing the weapon going to degrade the image of ArmA?

I think all noticed the missing anim. Why not talk about it to improve the game, small details might make the diference. They always do.

People will buy the game because they want to fight on 400 square Km of land with Armour, Aviation, Artillery support. Because they are able to drive ANY vehicle in the game and go ANYWHERE they like, not being funneled through corridors. Thats why people will buy the game, not because the trigger finger flexes.

Seriously, stop posting such bullshit, get some perspective and appreciate the biggest free-form modern military simulator for what it is, not what it lacks in the index finger department.

crazy_o.gif

i think all points of view from all perspective are good to be pointed. If you don't like tuff, learn to like and accept it. Thats what forums are for.

Having diff point of view with a porpuse and a single one, Improve ARMA in every way!

PS - Stop that what your doing, we are trying to express our feelings to maybe improve the game in those small details no one sounds to care. xmas_o.gif

PS - Stop that what your doing, we are trying to express our feelings to maybe improve the game in those small details no one sounds to care.

I don't want to get into a flame war, I've been here since 2002 without getting a warning level and I don't want to start now. But seriously...

Trying to express feelings?!?! I've watched your postcount grow over the last months, and 90% of it has been this same whiney crap.

"Oh noes, BIS should add animated trigger fingers"

"Shadows and colors need to be improved"

"Physics need to be improved"

"vietnam mods, someone should make one"

"bouncing leaves, need to move sperately from trees"

"waterfalls should be in arma"

and countless other threads that have been locked again and again, with warnings from the moderators to stop posting useless threads...

and I should stop what I'm doing?!!?

banghead.gif

How did the non-animating finger EVER effect play in OFP? I've played OFP since day 5 of it being commercially available, and I can safely say I've NEVER had to reference someone pulling a trigger, silenced weapon or not. They call "fire" or "go" or whatever over the command system (either the inbuilt one or teamspeak) and you let rip. If you're watching the guy's trigger finger you're not watching your target and you're gonna miss.

Infact, I can safely say I've NEVER needed to watch the trigger finger of any unit in any game I've ever played.

Seriously, this eyecandy shit has got to stop...

PS - you don't improve the game, BIS does. And no one "cares" because animated trigger fingers arent important. Decent ballistics are wink_o.gif

PS - Stop that what your doing, we are trying to express our feelings to maybe improve the game in those small details no one sounds to care.

How did the non-animating finger EVER effect play in OFP? I've played OFP since day 5 of it being commercially available, and I can safely say I've NEVER had to reference someone pulling a trigger, silenced weapon or not. They call "fire" or "go" or whatever over the command system (either the inbuilt one or teamspeak) and you let rip. If you're watching the guy's trigger finger you're not watching your target and you're gonna miss.

Infact, I can safely say I've NEVER needed to watch the trigger finger of any unit in any game I've ever played.

Brilliant.

+1 Deadmeat

[Note: This post was good enough to make a lurker login.]

I don't want to get into a flame wars too, im just posting my point of views.

"feelings" as a term of desire, wish, opinion, suggestion, ideas.

If BIS didn't want opinions from community they wouldn't allow 99% of these threads.

With all do respect; do you play coop?

Do you normally watch/follow your team lad(s) movement(s)?

When i say the finger could/might help in a coop mission its a fact. (how strange it sounds to you).

From the pics we surelly notice "The" finger "pointed", who don't.

The animation can allow us (in certain circumstances) to notice if the team lad is firing or not and it can be decisive to the roll of that specific mission or any mission.

Quote[/b] ]and I should stop what I'm doing?!!?
your not letting people to give their own opinion about this or other subject.

Saying it's stupid, crap, no one cares and it should stop sad_o.gif

Well i care about this animation and others.

Some people gave their own opinions about the animations why can't i express its use?

Ps- i think your are beeing unfair about this effect and also your being unfair about the rest you mentioned. Your trying to pull me off from saying and expressing my opinions/feelings.

Edit: if you guys did not notice im not English, im Portuguese and English is not my home language. I try to express my ideas and sometimes takes me a while to post.

This is my only way to participate on the improvement of this so much wanted game. At least I try!

Here's a second to what DM's saying.

The common yammering clammer of the bipolar ArmA community is an absolutely appalling disgrace.

Bred in ignorance, fueled by baseless speculation, devoid of reason, it's truely a sad de-evolution of what once was. Perhaps I'll go read "The decline and fall of the Roman empire" for something more uplifting.

Now I'm not going to go as far as DM in faulting BIS on the focus on trigger fingers, for all practical purposes it's actually a rather minor implementation point in terms of implentation resources, and one that is more of a showcase for future mod work and potential.

But I will chime in and say that the disgraceful behavior of the community is not going to help BIS, the product, or the community in any way.

The faults lie in two directions :

1) The rising generation of nooblings who arrogantly refuse to use the search function and insist on leeching off the work of those who do. There is the community wiki, you may use it. The OFP community was built by those who wanted to solve problems, in fact, much of the focus was on the problem solving, and less on the content developed from the capabilities of that problem solving.

2) The old timers who have forgotten those same lessons and who insist on stuffing BIS into the old box of uninformed assumptions. The OFP platform has never been, and never will be a serious flight sim or vehicle sim. There's Falcon4 and LFS etc if you want something in those directions. Go step outside your house and try the MMORPG called "The Real World". Check out the view distance there, what do you suppose that might be? Now count every single object there in your FOV. How many megabytes of data do you suppose it would take to model that? What about those of you who can't afford a brand new competition rated system every year because they have things called responsibilities, like families? Should BIS ignore them because they're not prime customers?

BIS has done a tremendous job with ArmA development. Unfortunately, the ingrateful community has crucifed them at every turn. When eye candy was demanded they showed quantum leaps - but that wasn't good enough because it wouldn't run on one guy's machine. When they show'ed performance - the eye candy wasn't 'adequate'. Of course we all know that early alpha development samples are in fact the final release content and that BIS has been sitting around with their thumbs up their rears getting drunk and laughing at the community as a result. It's 'obvious' that they haven't done a day's worth of work in the last six months, and that they can magically pull new media out of thin air without any effort.

Furthermore, the community has become appallingly lazy. Based on the 'fact' that because BIS decided not to include content in screenshots that content obviously does not exist, and thus extrapolated to suppose that we'll never see an XYZ in-game because none in the community will bother to make one, is utter crap. BIS makes a platform. Frankly, I'd rather see the day when they ship a product without content. I'd rather they spend all their time on the platform, and let the community make the content. Oh wait, the community doesn't believe in values like "cooperation" and "coordination" and "respect for author's interests".

---------------------------------------------------

Now that I'm done ranting, here's what can be done.

First off sit down and shut up. The only ones that know exactly what's going on is BIS in Prague. Idea Games gets their information from BIS. BIA gets its information from Prague. If you want the most accurate information, it will only come from those who make the information. Anything else is speculative.

Second, study this doc: model.cfg It's importance can not be over emphasized for addon development. Third, turn off the computer, pull out a piece of paper and a pencil, and plan your mod's there, not in Max. When the rest of the documentation becomes available, only then will you be able to make stuff that won't make you look like a total idiot.

Third, do not presume to assume that old methods will work exactly the same in ArmA. That would be rejecting the essential fixes that have been made to correct things that were fundamentally 'wrong'.

Fourth, be a mature person willing to work with other people. When I have to cite as postive role model examples young padawan's like DM and Blackdog, it is truely a sad day for the community.

Fifth, stop and take the split moment that even a hyperactive attention-deficit kid can for a potty break to think about what BIS has done positively. Stop being so negative and pessimistic. It's a friggin video game for crying out loud, if you're so wrapped around the axle because you've put more time and emotion into a stupid video game than some random person with a parent dieing of cancer, then you got really serious issues.

So to summarize ...

What have you done POSITIVELY for the community lately - or ever?

I disagree with both of you, i dont care if the finger is animated or not but it doesnt look wright.

I know soldiers shouldnt have their fingers on the trigger at all times but i would rather see it that way than having then firing the rifles without ever touching the trigger. It looks very odd...

So if the finger isnt animated they should position it like in OPF, it would look better imo.

Now... dont start a war because of a finger smile_o.gif .

edit:uh uh crazy_o.gif .

Its important you all understand that im not trying to start a fight.

Im not mad to anyone, im not calling names and im not beeing rude.

Im just exposing my opinion/wishes and explaining it why, all opinions are good/valid if they are well justifyed.

i defended my point of view because with this "static" effect it will be odd like Heatseeker said. I rader old OFP hand then that static finger.

To be in rare form -ON TOPIC- that is, can anyone who played Elite confirm if there was depth of field, or focus being manipulated like in the scope view in the recent batch of ArmA pics? Just wondering if this is a new development or new usage of this feature. Thanks!

Along the lines of the quote:

-- "If you see the flash, it's already too late."

we now get:

-- "If you see the trigger finger squeeze with your binoculars, it's already too late." tounge2.gif

You are probably not able to understand this, though.

Wut meenz...

Edit: So...community great community...lets talk about something productive, yes?

I can think of another ****** BIS could animate pistols.gif

But seriously this game looks better than I could ever imagine and the compaints, no matter how minor, are annoying to some of us and I'm sure it does'nt make BIS fell better either. They must have thick skins to put up with this.

--Ben

To be in rare form -ON TOPIC- that is, can anyone who played Elite confirm if there was depth of field, or focus being manipulated like in the scope view in the recent batch of ArmA pics? Just wondering if this is a new development or new usage of this feature. Thanks!

Yeah theres depth of field in OFP:E Scrub.

I disagree with both of you, i dont care if the finger is animated or not but it doesnt look wright.

I know soldiers shouldnt have their fingers on the trigger at all times but i would rather see it that way than having then firing the rifles without ever touching the trigger. It looks very odd...

So if the finger isnt animated they should position it like in OPF, it would look better imo.

Now... dont start a war because of a finger smile_o.gif .

edit:uh uh crazy_o.gif .

X2

-ON TOPIC-

Woah, woah, WOAH!

Hey, hold on there buddy. What the hell are you tryin' to pull here?

Anyway, since we are NO LONGER TALKING ABOUT ANIMATED TRIGGER FINGERS, does anybody have videos of real life explosions with lots of branching cloudlets like those seen in the ArmA explosions? I agree that they look a little odd, so can anybody find real life examples?

Sorry, but fingers are still an issue tounge2.gif

"feelings" as a term of desire, wish, opinion, suggestion, ideas.

If BIS didn't want opinions from community they wouldn't allow 99% of these threads.

They don't. Thats my point. Look back over the last 5-10 pages of threads on this board. 90% of them are locked - i.e. NOT ALLOWED.

With all do respect; do you play coop?

Do you normally watch/follow your team lad(s) movement(s)?

When i say the finger could/might help in a coop mission its a fact. (how strange it sounds to you).

From the pics we surelly notice "The" finger "pointed", who don't.

The animation can allow us (in certain circumstances) to notice if the team lad is firing or not and it can be decisive to the roll of that specific mission or any mission.

Yes, 90% of my remaining play time is co-op (I play with the Time-Zone Warriors on an irregular basis)

Yes, I watch my team leaders movements.

No, when you say the finger could/might help in co-op and its a fact, you are WRONG. (Its an opinion)

Honestly, I wonder if you are getting the best experience out of your game if you notice whether or not the team leader is actually squeezing the trigger or not. Speaking purely technically, you either have to be right on top of him to be able to see that, or you're watching him FAR too closely through your optics/binoculars. Seriously, at ~5m and 1280x1024 resolution, the guys finger is like 12 pixels at most. 12 pixels in a ~1.3 million pixel area. The point I was trying to get across is that in 5 years of playing I've ALWAYS been too busy doing other stuff, focusing on other parts of the map, to see even the hands of my team leader.

And I wonder what audio settings you play on if the ONLY way you can notice if the team lead is firing or not is by the fact he's squeezing the trigger or not? How have you managed in these situations while playing OFP? What about if you cant see his trigger hand, do you move out of cover for a better look?

Quote[/b] ]and I should stop what I'm doing?!!?
your not letting people to give their own opinion about this or other subject.

Saying it's stupid, crap, no one cares and it should stop sad_o.gif

Well i care about this animation and others.

Some people gave their own opinions about the animations why can't i express its use?

I'm letting everyone express their opinion, last time I looked I cant stop you from expressing it, I just want you to put some thought into your [apparently] thoughtless posts ("woo we need this/that/the other" style).

Its not that I don't want you to express your opinion, I believe in freedom of speech as much as the next guy who enjoys his freedom. What I'm saying is; please, THINK about what you're posting. Like now for instance, we're discussing (NOT argueing) the importance of an animation for a single finger. (For the record it is un-important to me whether its animated or not, I feel there are other things that be better to have time spent on though)

Edit: if you guys did not notice im not English, im Portuguese and English is not my home language. I try to express my ideas and sometimes takes me a while to post.

This is my only way to participate on the improvement of this so much wanted game. At least I try!

And you get much respect from me for that. I "learnt" German, but am far from fluent and struggle now even to translate simple sentances, but thats beside the point.

As has been mentioned over and over, no matter what ANYONE posts here, be they newbie or forum demi-god, it is HIGHLY unlikely to make one bit of difference. How often do you think the programmers at BIS read these threads? Sure they pop in every now and then, but if they constantly farmed these forums for ideas they would never get anything done.

@Shin - I dont think I faulted BIS for the finger animation either way, but maybe thats the way it came across.

-Fin

The common yammering clammer of the bipolar ArmA community is an absolutely appalling disgrace.

... ....

So to summarize ...

I found it extremely amusing that everybody completely disregarded shinRaider's post and went straight on with their triggerfingers.

I agreed with the idea of triggerfinger animation earlier, because it sounded like a nice option for the modders, and it doesn't sound like a lot of work on BIS's part, but i bet that's nowhere near their priority list. It's actually funny how long this argument has been going on. I think Placebo ought to do something.

BTW, shinRaider, inspiring rant (tho i'll be damned if anyone actually bothered to READ it)

EDIT: I JUST REALISED THAT WHAT WE'RE DOING IS POINTLESS. BIS has already their own vision of the game, if it's not yet completed. They would never listen to any new suggestions anyway

... ....

So to summarize ...

I found it extremely amusing that everybody completely disregarded shinRaider's post and went straight on with their triggerfingers.

I agreed with the idea of triggerfinger animation earlier, because it sounded like a nice option for the modders, and it doesn't sound like a lot of work on BIS's part, but i bet that's nowhere near their priority list. It's actually funny how long this argument has been going on. I think Placebo ought to do something.

BTW, shinRaider, inspiring rant (tho i'll be damned if anyone actually bothered to READ it)

Don't assume things.

I read it, and I... oh bugger... ASSUMED my sig would signify my contribution to the community.

Spanked confused_o.gif

wink_o.gif

That and your police pack, marvellous things those.

I read Shin's post too, thought it quite good (except "clammer" isn't a word, try "clamour" next time, unless you're referring to any of various usually burrowing marine and freshwater bivalve mollusks of the class Pelecypoda, including members of the genera Venus and Mya, many of which are edible).

I have no idea how you guys sit down and type so much into this thing, I have trouble going after 5 lines, and I still have no idea how to quote someone. Sad, ain't it.

Yeah, sometimes I wish they'd never opened an Armed Assault forum on the official site. Would save a heck of a lot of noob-bashing and re-re-re-repeating information posters here. But here we are, I suppose. And I also agree that it's not likely that BIS give half of one cent about what goes on here, at least verbally, anyway.

Stendac - the little branching cloudlets are meant to represent burning chunks of debris flying out of the explosion, yeah? I know I've seen McSplosions like that in the movies, not so sure about real life, though. Think ECP style.

So to summarize ...

Good question!

Anyway, what I have done:

1. Bought 2 copies of OFP:E (and by this supported BIS financially)

2. Played Elite to death and tried (with some success) to 'convert' fellow xbox gamers to Elite

3. Use my clan site to activily promote Elite and coming Arma to my friends/visitors

4. Making some vids of Elite (YouTube, Google and Filefront) to further popularize Elite (and the Flashpoint Universe) with some success

5. Trying to get M$ making Elite backward compatible

6. Experimenting (a bit, there a guys who did A LOT more) with transferring pc mod to Elite

7. Bugger EVERYBODY and asking for a 360 version of ArmA and dedicating a blog page to the matter (Ok, this one is even WITHIN the community not well received. A shame imho)

So, yes i think i did my share (perhaps not to everybodies liking, but i still believe in ArmA/360)

Btw, there were 2 major reasons which made me play Elite ... one of them was an old post of Shinraiden (p)reviewing Elite:)

Sorry, but fingers are still an issue tounge2.gif

i agree, and it should be ontopic because they always apear in almost all pictures as you know.

i could quote all,

but i rader say that in my opinion the animation would be a positive effect then not having it at all.

@shinRaiden -

Quote[/b] ]"What have you done POSITIVELY for the community lately - or ever?"

How can you say that? huh.gif

Community is a Big alive team, some do Mods, others do missions, islands, others play, and all together made this game alive for past 5 years.

I bought the game some years ago, i play it, the only thing i like to do besides playing coop is making missions. Its always nice to have new missions.

edit: if some anims don't work properlly i call them bugs, and all bugs should be fixed as possible as they can, right?

hey look finger animation nener.gif

wake me up untill someting new apear

Bravo 6 has made some of the best coop missions available. Using many addons. He never thinks he's a celebrity like that bas idiot. Ban me all you like too many facists on this forum. Not suprising when Bush has butchered the constitution and European Union are going through similar motions. Ahh I won't even mention the Nazi type behaviour of a peoples/country that was persecuted by Nazis in the 1930s.

Reading this forum is quite sickening

Bravo6 you, Junker, Daddl and the FDF crew make the finest missions for the community........No Contest. and I look forward to your ArmA Missions so get warmed up.

Fingers movement will probably supported in OFP 2 as Marek indicated in 2003 during our visit at BIS. I have a SCRAP audiofile on that.