Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Now some of you guys have mentioned that the recent pictures maybe from a few months back so we shouldn't take these pictures as anything near what we should expect from the final build, BUT i hope your right. The picture i've posted below sent a shiver down my spine. Look at the two armoured vehicles "bouncing" of each other just like the OFP armoured vehicle combat. Also i hope the island used for the picture was a test island as i'm not very impressed with the layout of the buildings. Since when have large structures been placed directly on a grass surface. Lets see more paved textures here please. To tell you the truth i'm a little suprised that BIS arn't using some of the many talented guys we have right here in our community to make the soldier and vehicle models and islands. BIA (VBS1) did just that and the outcome was a superb USARMY pack and terrain 3 pack.

[im]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1010/aramatiscal24kn.jpg[/img]

Look at that picture a little closer though. Notice the raised bumps on the grass. That's not the standard BIS grass carpet from OFP, that's actual vegetation. Also, look at the tracks left by the tanks through it. Another improvement over OFP.

Considering these are older screenshots being released just now, I think we are all in for a surprise.

Since when has BIS ever shown us their hand so early in the game? They always hit us with a big surprise right before its actually released. I think when they do finally tip their hand, we are just going to be shocked by what we see.

I've not seen a tractor yet...? There has to be a tractor somewhere or I won't be happy tounge2.gif

I deeply second that smile_o.gif

Heatseeker, you need to put some time into OFP:E before you go knocking the controls in OFP:E, which are suprisingly good.

As for the water, in OFP:E you get what appears to be polygonal wave action that increases in amplitude(?) as the weather worsens. All it needs is a reflective quality at oblique angles, the ability to submerge without dying, and a murkiness that increases with depth.

All [the water] needs is a reflective quality at oblique angles, the ability to submerge without dying, and a murkiness that increases with depth.

you don't actually think that a GI in full combat outfit can swim, do you?

Guest Ti0n3r

Lol, anything is better than the current "I am iron man, I can walk on the sea bottom". wink_o.gif

Heatseeker, you need to put some time into OFP:E before you go knocking the controls in OFP:E, which are suprisingly good.

A console controller is nowhere near as efficient as a mouse/keyboard-combo in a fps-game. Period.

Quote[/b] ]I've not seen a tractor yet...? There has to be a tractor somewhere or I won't be happy

I've had alot of hillarious memories from that tractor in OFP rofl.gif

The thing I loved about Far Cry wasn't exactly the quality of the shimmering water and reflections, it was the fact that you could realsitically bail out into the water. It just felt so immersive. I really hope BIS considers making the water more usable in Game 2.

Aside from that, the term rollercoaster is perfect for describing my feelings concerning the screenshots.

I mean, to compare:

aramatiscal5s.jpg

....stunning, beautiful.

aramatiscal3s.jpg

....really quite ugly. I'm surprised that pic was released.

er IL2S water isint as good as that: (now best stay ontopic whistle.gif )

http://www.sh-squadron.de/img-gal/il2-skin2.jpg

Actually that water looks much better. The other water is way too nice compared to the rest of the graphics so the overall impression gets worse. Having a good balance is the key.

You need to keep in mind that the ArmA water serves a real purpose other than just as eye candy.

All [the water] needs is a reflective quality at oblique angles, the ability to submerge without dying, and a murkiness that increases with depth.

you don't actually think that a GI in full combat outfit can swim, do you?

Mister, you're talking to someone that underwent "Water Indoctrination" in the United States Army, so don't presume to lecture ME about it, okay?

Did I SAY what would submerge?

And how do you expect to have quality UDT-type operations with what we've got now?

A console controller is nowhere near as efficient as a mouse/keyboard-combo in a fps-game. Period.

Another PC gamer who thinks he knows so much.

I, too, was a PC gaming loyalist until I saw how superior X-Box Live multiplayer is to the hassle-plagued multiplayer experience that most PC games are online.

Have you played OFP:E? If not, shut it. It is COMPLETELY obvious that OFP's clunkiness in an urban environment is because of THE GAME when you play OTHER X-Box CQB titles that don't exhibit the SAME problems with the SAME controller. The same clunkiness that is in OFP:R in an urban environment is there in OFP:E in the same, all claims to the contrary aside.

Get a clue, gentlemen! You think you're talking to an OFP n00b just because I started playing OFP on the X-Box? (In fact, the fact that I'm NOT an OFP n00b is why I'm enjoying a primo OFP MP experience on the X-Box while you're clunking away with yesterday's version.) I've been playing the game since the first PC demo and I remember the days when there were SIX screenshots of the upcoming title on the 'net.

Bottom Line: OFP is great, but it's urban combat is CLUNKY for reasons having NOTHING to do with the controller. It always has been and nothing has changed, yet. (Well, except that now we have delayed fuse frags and leaning, which helps, but you never see anybody leaning in OFP:E...because the overall urban experience is still clunky.) Stop basing your opinions on OFP:E's controls on half-a55ed and Bravo-Sierra reviews and a few videos and actually give it a try, if you think you're such OFP hot shi'ite. Talk to me when you're higher than I am in the "Online Total" leaderboard.

Even OFP:E's graphics are looking better than some of these ArmA screens, though obviously OFP:E's low-res can't compete with ArmA's high-res.

Will say the DMA animation pack work for ArmA? Looks like they are going to be using the same old poor running animation.

also I never got around to checking this out...this is Cold War right? Or is it modern? Because Russian infantry no longer use the old Berezka camo (except special forces and Border guards).

They're reworking the animations, so the running will be different. Most of the pics released were from a while ago, and ArmA will include the old campaigns from OFP and OFP: Resistance, as well as the new ArmA campaign.

Quote[/b] ] Jakerod Posted on Feb. 13 2006,22:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://games.tiscali.cz/previews/armedassault/img14.jpg

Did anyone post that one yet?

They did now. smile_o.gif

Here's hoping there's another video.

Does anybody know if there's an event like E3 or it's European equivalent coming along soon?

Quote[/b] ] Jakerod Posted on Feb. 13 2006,22:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://games.tiscali.cz/previews/armedassault/img14.jpg

Did anyone post that one yet?

They did now. smile_o.gif

Here's hoping there's another video.

Does anybody know if there's an event like E3 or it's European equivalent coming along soon?

E3 May 10-12. I hope those animations are done by then! tounge2.gif

Uziyahu--IDF please discuss things in a civilised manner on here, telling people to "shut it" etc. is flaming and not acceptable.

But Uzi has a point. So i have to second that. OFP PC gamers shouldn't disregard OFP:E and surely not the controller.

E.g. it is obvious you can control a heli better with a controller than with kb+m

Anyway, i like the controller and i think OFP:E is superior to OFP because in fact it is much more recent:) ... Now ppl who want a taste of the upcoming ArmA could (or perhaps should) try OFP:E. Just add more viewdistance, more units, bigger Mission Editor, etc. to the picture and your are (nearly) there.

Anyway, I don' think the pics can realy be judged correctly, since the editors played, made or got screenshots from a november version of the game, same as score