Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Yes, the pics are from November but we can see improvements over the ones in the oficial press release, like the ground textures and the sea, only reason these pics dont look so sharp is because there in no antialiasing and the resolution isnt very high.

Quote[/b] ]is it me or does the water look poor also sad_o.gif

I think its just you confused_o.gif , the water looks great to me.

Amazing water! inlove.gif .

I'm suprised they havn't added reflective water. Plus it looks a bit cack compared to a game like Far Cry. Maybe some people won't like the choice of comparison, but the water effects in that game and the ability to travel realistically through water added so much more immersion IMO.

Hate to play the grumpy bugger again,but personally im glad to hear its some old screenshots,all that shiny stuff(look at the rpg or the water crazy_o.gif ) is luckily gone in the new screenshots.

Daniel @ Feb. 13 2006,15:16)]I'm suprised they havn't added reflective water. Plus it looks a bit cack compared to a game like Far Cry. Maybe some people won't like the choice of comparison, but the water effects in that game and the ability to travel realistically through water added so much more immersion IMO.

Honestly i dont think Far Cry water would look good in Arma, it was a bit too shiny and overdone.

Far Cry was a game made around a remote tropical island chain so it made sense for the developers to spend resources in making it look like that but for Arma i think BIS has choosen well, it looks very good and fits well with the games graphics smile_o.gif .

Hate to play the grumpy bugger again,but personally im glad to hear its some old screenshots,all that shiny stuff(look at the rpg or the water crazy_o.gif ) is luckily gone in the new screenshots.

You cant be serious.. maybe your not ready for DX9 yet biggrin_o.gif .

Well...

My feelings were like driving in a rollercoaster when I saw the screens. The water loos really really good and the units as well... The shadowing is cool, too. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

But there is still that clipping issue and on some screens you can see the same land-textures, as OFP had.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/aramatiscal3.jpg

Background on the right, those white rocks... confused_o.gif

All in all the groundtextures need some improvements, and some houses remind me too much to those old CWC houses...

Anyway, it's becomming better smile_o.gif

agree, i think BIS should stick with the gritty look, none of this shiny everythings plastic look, not that dynamic lighting etc shouldnt be implemented, i mean it should only be used on things which are notible going to change depending on lighting, eg.. Roads, buildings, overall landscape.

in short, pleast dont make everything lok as if its all glazed in

honey. biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

^^^ whoa where did that screen come from?

never mind.

hmm, the clipping on the tank tracks.. and, the background looks extemely pixelates / lacking on AA sad_o.gif

but aside from those, looking awesome, those seesaw's look tempting in a battle situation dont they tounge2.gif

What is the deal with the blackening of vehicles when they are destroyed? Since when does that happen?

Other than that, looks awesome.

It's always happened. Blow up a BMP or an M113. The only vehicles that don't turn black off the top of my head are the car classes.

That's not entirely accurate. In real life, a tank or an APC wouldn't necessarily turn all back the moment an RPG hits it. There would be some paint scorching near the impact area, and if one should penetrate the ammo compartment or the fuel tank, that would result in an internal explosion and then a fire, but in most cases RPGs are fired either at the tracks (to immobilize the vehicle) or at a vulnerable spot in its turret, such as the rear, to inflict infury to the crew.

I for one too believe that having an APC blow up the moment an RPG hits it and have it instantly turn all black is quite groteque, not to mention unrealistic.

This is especially apparent when one hits an APC with an RPG round at a place that wouldn't even result in an explosion. Vehicles in Flashpoint have atrocious damage dynamics. I mean, you can shoot an RPG at the front-most tip of its cannon, and in a milisecond the whole thing blows up (along with whatever crew/infantry there maybe inside). I do hope that something has been done about this, because it makes APCs very, very useless in Flashpoint. You are safer in a cargo truck in terms of infantry transport, since it moves faster than an APC and isn't as loud. RPG accuracy also needs to be tweaked, because as it stands these things are much too effective. I mean let's face it, a single RPG soldier (who, by the way should realistically carry only one disposable round, and not 3) can effectively take out 3 BMPs full of infantry. Nevermind WHERE he hits the vehicles, since they'll all instantly turn pitch black and kill everyone inside, guaranteed.

Here are some images I could find of destroyed armor.

dead_BMP-1-2.jpg

dead_BMP-1.jpg

dead_BMP-1-3.jpg

ii040503a.jpg

M-1A1-destroyed.jpg

300_destroyed_iraq_tank_baghdad.jpg

Old poor grass texture, still no proof of multi-gunners, water effect still looking like from 3 years ago? Using aircraft hangars instead of proper looking warehouses like on some B-class OFP maps made by amateurs? Too dark vegetation?

I'm disappointed. sad_o.gif

C'mon guys, I know you can come up with something better than that.

What is the deal with the blackening of vehicles when they are destroyed? Since when does that happen?

It's always happened. Blow up a BMP or an M113. The only vehicles that don't turn black off the top of my head are the car classes.

That's not entirely accurate. In real life, a tank or an APC wouldn't necessarily turn all back the moment an RPG hits it. There would be some paint scorching near the impact area, and if one should penetrate the ammo compartment or the fuel tank, that would result in an internal explosion and then a fire, but in most cases RPGs are fired either at the tracks (to immobilize the vehicle) or at a vulnerable spot in its turret, such as the rear, to inflict infury to the crew.

I think he was talking about the ingame-black-damage-thingy

Oh well, the sea looks very good IMO, at least when i go to the beach, the sea doesnt reflect like in far cry, its just grey/brownish smile_o.gif

And BIS: TURN OF THE DAMN ANTI ALIASING!, it is getting anoying now tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

I think he was talking about the ingame-black-damage-thingy

heh, so was i smile_o.gif

i just trailed off the subject a bit afterwards. i tend to go on and on, and on, and on..

Does anybody know what is written on the building and in what language it is.

http://ofp.neco.cz/news/pics3/aramatiscal5.jpg

It seems to be some kind of Eastern-European language. I think it means something like hotel or something like that. Anybody knows this language?

It's Czech language. And "Hostinec" means "Restaurant"

hmm... the clunkyness in OPFR is caused by poor colision detection, clipping problems and the many a.i. issues in such areas (moving, seeing and shooting/fraggin thru walls).

Then explain why it is still clunky in OFP:E, where all 3 of those areas you have mentioned have been improved.

It's because the darn iron sight view is too zoomed in, the iron sight blocks too much of the view, and you have no peripheral vision.

hostinec - restaurant

hostinec - saloon

hostinec - tavern

The lighting in OFP:E is excellent, and that's what I'm seeing in this latest batch of screenshots, whether they are older or not. Those other new screenshots look more like old OFP and somewhat disappointing in the lighting department, compared to OFP:E.

By the way, the water DOES have a see-through quality if you look into it from the right angle in the right lighting conditions. All it needs is a reflective quality at the right (oblique?) angles, since the see-through quality seems to work best when looking straight down into the water.

Im impressed so far by the amount of diversity that seems to be shown in the pictures, from the differing landscapes, to the amount of objects to make the whole thing seem a bit more 'real life'.

As mentioned above, it will be interesting to see the rain effects and some nighttime shots to ge an idea of atmosphere.

And unless I've missed it somewhere, I've not seen a tractor yet...? There has to be a tractor somewhere or I won't be happy tounge2.gif

hmm... the clunkyness in OPFR is caused by poor colision detection, clipping problems and the many a.i. issues in such areas (moving, seeing and shooting/fraggin thru walls).

Then explain why it is still clunky in OFP:E, where all 3 of those areas you have mentioned have been improved.

It's because the darn iron sight view is too zoomed in, the iron sight blocks too much of the view, and you have no peripheral vision.

Maybe because you are using that device someone called "controler" crazy_o.gif , its is known that such device in not very apropriate for acomplishing demanding tasks tounge2.gif .

Then operatives/soldiers dont look down the sights 90% of the time, if you look down the sight you will loose peripheral view, atleast i closed my left eye when shooting on the range, you also cant handle that position for long, you can pull the sight when entering a room or when you identify a target, i find it realistic considering its just a game.

I will have to agree with you on how the MP5 was put in the game, the range and penetration are unrealistic but it was a compromise so it would adapt to the gameplay.

Anyway maybe we shouldnt be going there in this thread, afterall it is supposed to be about discussing the ARMA pictures smile_o.gif .

Well... it looks kinda older than the screens we're used to. Other setting and all that. Mind the version previewed there was the same as the score preview from november, they probably had to keep silent till now. The newer screens are kinda different, as I said other setting (mediterranean) nad I also thought higher res textures on the vehicles.

I for one too believe that having an APC blow up the moment an RPG hits it and have it instantly turn all black is quite groteque, not to mention unrealistic.

This is especially apparent when one hits an APC with an RPG round at a place that wouldn't even result in an explosion. Vehicles in Flashpoint have atrocious damage dynamics. I mean, you can shoot an RPG at the front-most tip of its cannon, and in a milisecond the whole thing blows up (along with whatever crew/infantry there maybe inside). I do hope that something has been done about this, because it makes APCs very, very useless in Flashpoint. You are safer in a cargo truck in terms of infantry transport, since it moves faster than an APC and isn't as loud. RPG accuracy also needs to be tweaked, because as it stands these things are much too effective. I mean let's face it, a single RPG soldier (who, by the way should realistically carry only one disposable round, and not 3) can effectively take out 3 BMPs full of infantry. Nevermind WHERE he hits the vehicles, since they'll all instantly turn pitch black and kill everyone inside, guaranteed.

You're preaching to the choir here, bud. I totally agree with you and the vehicle damage modelling (and RPG accuraccy - but I solved that with JAM) has always been one of my biggest issues with OFP. Check the Game2 forums (maybe even this AA forum) and in there are some pretty lengthy propositions for solutions to the problem that I and some others have written, from simple config changes to a new modelling system.

Now some of you guys have mentioned that the recent pictures maybe from a few months back so we shouldn't take these pictures as anything near what we should expect from the final build, BUT i hope your right. The picture i've posted below sent a shiver down my spine. Look at the two armoured vehicles "bouncing" of each other just like the OFP armoured vehicle combat. Also i hope the island used for the picture was a test island as i'm not very impressed with the layout of the buildings. Since when have large structures been placed directly on a grass surface. Lets see more paved textures here please. To tell you the truth i'm a little suprised that BIS arn't using some of the many talented guys we have right here in our community to make the soldier and vehicle models and islands. BIA (VBS1) did just that and the outcome was a superb USARMY pack and terrain 3 pack.

aramatiscal24kn.jpg