Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

I'm more concerned about the buildings if you ask me, looks like they won't be destroyable, they don't appear to have interiors.

But Arma was announced as a smallish update to Flashpoint anyway so I never really expected major breakthroughs. Just something to pass the time until Game2.

You gotta admit the screens look nice.

I'm just wondering if the smoke from those buildings is scripted, not actuallly something that has been destroyed dynamically by the player or AI...

This pics

Well in that pic it is clear to see there is no gunner on the RHS. All pics have the gunner on the LHS.

Dude, that's the chopper with the FFARs, not the one armed with a gatling gun.

Again, absolutely now evidence on multiple gunner support.

I'm still hoping for destroyable buildings, hell it can't be that hard to implent since they already seem to have the technology crazy_o.gif

Explosions look the same still, but I guess thats something they'll change in the end.

Apart from that it looks great, landscapes are dense and look a lot more natural than ofp, I like the new setting as well, it indeed looks very mediterranean.

Btw, where did those new screens actually appear? Kinda weird (for BIS politics at least) to just let some screens pop out on some random sites...

I'm still hoping for destroyable buildings, hell it can't be that hard to implent since they already seem to have the technology crazy_o.gif

Destroyable buildings in a game are veeeery complex decision, what they should do, allow us to destroy every building ingame or not? if we can destroy every building the gameplay will be very affected, imagine that you're in a smal village, playing some kind of cti game, you pick up a tank and you destroy every building in the village, then, what can you do next? where infantry can hide? i hope that BIS takes the correct way, a realistic style but also gameplay, maybe that you can blow up some walls from the buildings and not destroy it entire....

I'm wondering... Which side is this minigun on: http://games.tiscali.cz//images/armedassault/bnga.jpg

And which side is this on: http://games.tiscali.cz//images/armedassault/bmga.jpg

smile_o.gif

Left and .. hmm.. left

in the first picture you can see the side window of the cockpit on the right and the engine (?) or whatever that is on the Blackhawk on the left.

--> Gun is on the left side of the chopper.

On the second pic, well I don't need to tell you which side this is...

Very good indeed, multiple gunners or not i really like what im seeing lately, for what was supposed to be just a flashpoint upgrade its turning out quite impressive, with these graphics and OPFE's improvements in it will be more than good enough for me smile_o.gif .

There is no gatling gun on the right side in bmga.jpg

Sorry, look again.

What appears to stick out on the right side is just the same "handle" or whatever that is on the left side also. smile_o.gifsad_o.gif

edit:

<-- hopes for working windshield wipers.

Maybe it is me,but the view distance is kinda back to a OFP level isn't it.Certainly lower than on the other screens confused_o.gif

nice media update , finally some pics. Now a statement that assures that multigunners and ATGM wheeled vehicles are hardcoded and i be perfectly happy

Destroyable buildings in a game are veeeery complex decision, what they should do, allow us to destroy every building ingame or not? if we can destroy every building the gameplay will be very affected, imagine that you're in a smal village, playing some kind of cti game, you pick up a tank and you destroy every building in the village, then, what can you do next? where infantry can hide? i hope that BIS takes the correct way, a realistic style but also gameplay, maybe that you can blow up some walls from the buildings and not destroy it entire....

Well... Of course gameplay would be affected, but in a positive way. Destroyable buildings make the whole thing more dynamic, exactly what you said, where can infantry hide then? Its more realistic, more dynamic, gets even more tactical then. The only problem would be how AI handles the additional dynamics.

BIS main goal should still be a realistic gameplay experience, and dynamic destruction enhances both realism and gameplay.

Well... Of course gameplay would be affected, but in a positive way. Destroyable buildings make the whole thing more dynamic, exactly what you said, where can infantry hide then? Its more realistic, more dynamic, gets even more tactical then. The only problem would be how AI handles the additional dynamics.

BIS main goal should still be a realistic gameplay experience, and dynamic destruction enhances both realism and gameplay.

The complexity and resource demand of such a feature could also introduce major limitations and have a bad impact on gameplay, map scale and performance wink_o.gif .

Imagine for example that BIS is creating a city with.. 1000 buildings and imagine that all of them (or most) use dib, now imagine that because of this feature they would have to cut down on the size of such city because of performance, thats one major limitation right there.

Or imagine that BIS is working on improved a.i. building interaction, making the a.i. use buildings better, and some buildings have several floors, DIB would likely interfere with this much more important gameplay improvement wink_o.gif .

The realism concern also comes to mind, buildings dont colapse just like that, the "dynamic" part would be flawed if the same chunks of it are blowned out in the same order or the destruction efect is the same all the time, this is yet to be seen in any game out there, including small games that dont have the ability/need to draw large amounts of terrain detail and objects/decorations, to expect such a complex and demanding feature in a game of this scale might be setting yourself up for a probable disapointment has the game uses alot of structures in both quantity and variety.

Maybe they will include something like DIB in some small structures like radio antennas, bridges and fuel stations but i wouldnt count on much more than that.

I also believe that the reason why people want this DIB so much is because of the fun factor of creating destruction, i dont think its very comon for buildings to colapse in real wars or for the military to waste amunition on things other than the enemy just for the sake of it, there are much more important things like having proper colision and cover (instead of being seen and shot thru walls), a better damage model and better a.i. building interaction, DIB seems very unimportant if we look at OPF buildings and room for improvements.

About the sky in these latest pics, the distance Is smaller, and the clouds are off. I wonder if they are purposely removing different elements from each image so the whole shebang will knock our collective socks off on release. (here's hoping). More than likely, these are dev pics where they turn elements off so they may see more clearly the one they are currently tweaking. confused_o.gif Either way, I'm loving it! inlove.gifyay.gif

@Heartseeker

Do you expect nukes every minute so that all buildings collaps at ones?

And I guess there won't be 1000 buildings either.

So there are no performance issues if there is a fight between two squads...

The DDS we saw in that VBS video was quiet fine in my opinion, wh don't use it?

does anybody have already seen debris and weaving grass on the ground biggrin_o.gif? looks like the good old carpet was simply polished with bumbpmapping or normalmapping, or whatevermapping, but debris and grass (known from ofp:e) are still missing...

i just didn't want to repeat the lots of essential calls for multiple gunnerpositions and destructible buildings, so i call for some additional eyecandy whistle.gif

...the picture of the bmp2, the right part, is it just a bit blurry or a depth-of-field effect from the engine? huh.gif

edit: somehow the trees have no shadows and every object seems to be lluminated correctly except the vegetation(?)...don't wanna bitch, but its just eye-catching...

That pic does look a bit doctored up, doesn't it? BMP's have the engine in the front, and the blur is at the rear.  hmmm.  ArmA's cinematic camera effect maybe?

Anyone notice in the 'BMGA.JPG" the rotor blade's shadow on the fuselage? Nice.

I think these Pictures are very interesting.

On the island there is a mix between some old nogovian trees and palms...

The BMP looks really great, can't wait to make some screenshots with him smile_o.gif But I don't like the textures of the B-H much, I think they look a bit to blurry... but it's still some time until ArmA will bereleased wink_o.gif

if ArmA is going to center around urban combat, then i wonder what revisions has BIS made to the overall movement/view dynamics.

As I know, OFP has a "hotbox" in the center of the screen which allows a player to move the targeting cursor without changing the view. It's only when the player moves their targeting cursor outside of this invisible hotbox in the center of the screen that one can shift their view to the side, up, down, etc.

In contrast with other FPS games (which have the view always centered, and the movement of a mouse results in the change of view with even the slightest input), I think the current viewing dynamics in OFP are a great approach when engaging at long distances. But I remain wary as to how this is going to work in urban environment.

The problem I envision is that in close-combat urban environment, one needs to look around much faster. In Resistance, playing in the big towns, the current dynamics of viewing have certainly shown their weakpoint.. Games like Ghost Recon, etc. certainly excel in urban combat, because the player has a lot "faster" way of moving about, hiding behind corner, etc. Current Flashpoint engine simply does not work that well.

So in light of BIS's initiative to implement urban combat in their upcoming title, I certainly hope that they've revised (to some extent) the viewing and movement dynamics of soldier units.

these new pics really show some detail! the older pics aren't as impressive as the new shots I think.