Sign in to follow this  
Zerg

AI slots

Have we been told how many AI slots will make up the player squad in ArmA? Or has anyone seen any hints on that from the screenshots or some other source?

For some reason I was almost convinced it was going to be 31, but then I tried searching for this information today, but couldn`t find it.

I really think we need an increase from the 11 in OFP, but its too late for suggestions I hear.

If you watch the ArmA trailer when it get to the part where its a view from a chopper you will see a group of soldiers running the same direction. and there are 18 of them so i think there is a chance that it will be 18 soldiers in one group.

but i could be very wrong.

I think there's no need to increase maximum squad size. Just add another layer for commanding squads instead of single soldiers. I can only imagine how chaotic controlling a 30 man squad would be when even 11 AI are enough to drive me crazy sometimes.

@Earaser; good observation, you are probably correct, but of course there is no way of telling if that aren`t simply two groups.

@Metal Heart; well squad size, group size, more squads... doesn`t matter as long as I get more AI slots.

i hope they make it like this

the normal 11 ai slot squad

then you get like some kind of commander that can for exampel command 5 squads and so on

the unknown

As in a normal european squad, it consists of 11 plus the group leader (12). It would be cool if they added platoons as well though :-)

That would be around 37 including 3 group leaders and a platoonleader (Officer).

Quote[/b] ]doesn`t matter as long as I get more AI slots.

It does matter because when commanding squads you don't get to (or don't have to) decide the squad level tactics. This is good because you couldn't possibly command like 5 squads worth of men invidually, and bad because the squads might not make any use of any kind of tactics (like positioning AT and sniper, using mines etc) and make very stupid mistakes (for example, lay down in an open field while a sniper picks off the whole squad one by one).

Just as platoon leader has the right and obligation to direct induvidual soldiers in his squads if he sees the need for it I am sure we will be given an ability to override our subordinate AI squad leader and direct AIs induvidualy if we choose so (otherwise if would be a regression from OFP), if there indeed will be multiple squads.

I think the only nuissance in this case would be the need to press an extra key to reach the induvidual soldier selection menu after the squad selection menu. wink_o.gif

If you watch the ArmA trailer when it get to the part where its a view from a chopper you will see a group of soldiers running the same direction. and there are 18 of them so i think there is a chance that it will be 18 soldiers in one group.

but i could be very wrong.

Nope, that was two seperate squads, there are two wedge formations, one behind the other.

Edit: I cleaned up my sloppy spelling.

If they introduce different levels of comand it could do for a very interesting and long campaign, where you start as a soldier, make it as squad lider, then somewhere get to comand biger things, and maybe you end up the campaign comanding a full batlefield with a company or maybe more.

That may make it too much of a real strategy game though, and that could be to much for some players.

Maybe if they incloude two campaigns... lol, one for up to twoo or three squads level and the other for company level...

Never mind.

@CERO.

Nope, that was two seperate squads, their are to wedge formations, one behind the other.

realplay%202006-02-01%2016-22-02-04.JPG

Hmmh. You are probably right.

sad_o.gif

EDIT: And the number 18 acctually probably confirms this since 9 is the default size of the squad that you place via the group menu in the mission editor.

Yuck I just defaced the English language. crazy_o.gif I must have been distracted or something.

Anyways at least it looks like BIS is putting more variety in their missions, if you read one of the radio messages it reveals the plot of the mission shown above (figure it out by yourself wink_o.gif ).

Being the commander over other AI groups isnt that bad imo. It gives you even more control over a mission (you know the missions where you have other groups calles in by radio)

Then you might be acting like "papa bear" tounge2.gif

But controlling all AI directly should be possible, but how realistic is it? Does an officer command units directly in another group?

I think if the AI will be better, its OK to control just the groups, and give them orders like: Get in Mi24 and drop there, but that would be to much asked I think. huh.gif

You know what would be GREAT, that every player controlls one soldier (on CTI mode, where u can buy units) - that would make AA the best First Person Shoter ever made, but should be made for big community (100 people on 1 map) and with very good communication implicated between players.

Of course that could be one of the option - turning off buying soldiers, not vehicles\air units. Dreaming about it smile_o.gif

P.S. i hope u know what i am talking about. It would be like BF2 (the game mode -> 1 player = 1 unit) with CTI missions (money for capturing flag).

Eh... CTI is not hard coded into OFP, it's scripted into user-made missions. You could do 100ppl CTI to OFP right now but it would lag like crazy unless u played it on LAN. So, what you should hope for is good net code, or make that a _great_ net code, so you don't have to use special servers for those 100ppl games.

But controlling all AI directly should be possible, but how realistic is it? Does an officer command units directly in another group?

A company leader (a Captain) never gives out commands to induvidual soldiers, but a platoon leader (a Lieutenant) sometimes does.

At least according to the war movies I`ve seen. tounge2.gif

Well i hope they don't cheat and give the squads a group ai only at the expense of individual AI

Quote[/b] ]Well i hope they don't cheat and give the squads a group ai only at the expense of individual AI

That they won't do. They've already got individual AI's sorted out, why would they degrade to a lower level?

Quote[/b] ]Well i hope they don't cheat and give the squads a group ai only at the expense of individual AI

That they won't do. They've already got individual AI's sorted out, why would they degrade to a lower level?

because it would make the game run better - allowing them to include more npcs etc.

I doubt they will, but coding ai is very difficult, possibly the most difficult part of any game and BIS will find shortcuts if they can and i wouldnt blame them - i just hope that the ai presents a realistic challenge

Well judging by MagnumLand`s MP video the number of slots is unchanged and remains at 12 so there is our anwser.

Too bad, but oh well what you gonna do...

i count 10 on that shot icon_rolleyes.gif it even says that under the most right icon whistle.gif

Well there is room for 1 more... wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

2 more nener.gif