Sign in to follow this  
Randy

New Landmass and Campaign

Alright, can't seem to find another topic on this so here I go. Forgive me if I've missed any obvious bits of information.

From reading the press release, pc gamer article (in the flesh/paper, ie. I have the magazine) and looking at the screenshots, I've formed an opinion on the setting. It looks as if the new island is in parts a rather hot climate judging by the palm trees (they're of a tropical type) and the terrain I see in the screenshots I assume to be of the new island, looks pretty dry. However other screenshots show a temperate looking climate (maybe the foothills of a mountainous area) that dont seem to be from Everon, it was said that the new island has great variation and size so it could include many environments.

The point of this thread is to try and get a better idea of what to expect from the Arma, from other forum members who probably know more than me.

So I put this question to you all: What real world location do you think reflects the new island in ArmA most closely (Cuba maybe, certain greek islands, a country bordering the Aegian Sea perhaps)

and

We know that the new campaign features a despotic regime from the north of this island attacking the free south, what real world regime do you think this fictional one is modeled on/ most closely reflected by, are we to expect rampaging russians, a naughty african warlord or some rogue chinese general? (I know its a 'Korea like situation, but this could mean anything from a landmine belt, to the fact that the island is predominantly asian).

At the very least, just consider this a thread asking you, the forum members for your informed opinions on what we might see.

It's called Sara(h?), so I think it may represent Israel.

Seeing that all official islands have their (internal) names taken from the old bible I doubt that this is enough indication (Abel -> Malden, Eden -> Everon, Cain -> Kolguyev, Noe -> Nogova). I'd rather expect a mixed environment like Nogova - just on a bigger scale. That might not be too realistic, but it will offer a much more varied background for user made missions.

Looking at the pictures, gives me a feeling that it might be scenario from south-greece to middle europe.

I meant middle mainland greece

Wasn`t talking about you.

And Cyprus isn`t legaly Greece.

Mostly arid sorts of countries so far, I really enjoyed the desert fighting on Malden, I'll bet we'll see a good variation though, with the island being apparently larger than all previous islands combined. Deep forest warfare could be fun too, as long as the AI can handle it realistically and not snipe you through 200m of thick cover with absolutely no line of sight.

On that note, I wonder if we'll be able to bomb the crap out of forests to clear the area of guerilla fighers, like vietnam. Maybe we'll even be able to use the good old 'daisy cutter' to clear an LZ. Even napalm carpet bombing would be great fun, causing massive firestorms. I have fond memories of fleeing from a wall of fire through the everon forests in multiplayer. With destroyable forests this could be an even more likely possibilty.

I hope they don't make mixed environments on Sarah like they did with Nogova. It always looked like the developpers were to lazy to place more trees and bushes on the rest of the island and than just decided to leave it as a desert. When moving from the green part of the island into the desert it feeled like entering a nuclear test facility.

It's just totally unrealistic to have such a relatively tiny island as Nogova (or Sarah) with several climate zones.

Different climate zones would be unlikely, but geographical effects such as rain shadow from mountain ranges and altitude can produce quiet different environments. Even the effects of continentality can be seen within a few kilometres inland, vegetation variation or the lack of, can be exlpained feasibley with these factors, even in a small island area. So while I wouldn't want to see tropical weather at the north end and cold at the southern, I think some variation is acceptable.

Indeed. But just how realistic is a "mountain range" on a small island in the first place?

The only thing I'm wondering about the new map is that if the campaign is about a North / South conflict, will there be some sort of 'border' hard-coded on to the island.  

I mean will there be an invisible border with maybe a couple of signposts with "...now entering..." dotted about the landscape or will there be a massive fence with watchtowers at set intervals?

Personally I hope that the island is completely free of any potential "security borders".

I meant middle mainland greece

Wasn`t talking about you.

And Cyprus isn`t legaly Greece.

Hehe, I guess that depends who you ask :-) - And I dont think this is the thread to discuss that.

Anyway, Im sure we are allowed to discuss the screenshots BIS themselves have released, and basically that is all we are doing.

Quote[/b] ]Indeed. But just how realistic is a "mountain range" on a small island in the first place?

Since islands are mountains in the ocean, and the only thing that softens their ruggedness is the elements, tectonic action, and the material they are made of... hey, it could happen  tounge2.gif

As for a climate range, in Washington state (on the U.S.'s west coast, not D.C. you politicos) you can drive from a beach through deciduous and coniferous forests to the snowy mountainous slopes all in about 30 minutes.

I hope they don't make mixed environments on Sarah like they did with Nogova. It always looked like the developpers were to lazy to place more trees and bushes on the rest of the island and than just decided to leave it as a desert. When moving from the green part of the island into the desert it feeled like entering a nuclear test facility.

It's just totally unrealistic to have such a relatively tiny island as Nogova (or Sarah) with several climate zones.

What about Hawaii? It's small and it has like 8 or 10 different climates. Small Islands can have many climates too.

Well I don't think they are actually reconstructing an island , but more invent a new one. Reconstructing takes much more time, and I don't see why they would do it, as the action is again an unhappened story.

So my guess, a BIS creation. As it will be big, it probably will have different climates, and will, that's nothing unrealistic, many places have a local climate, and it adds to mission variety and gameplay.

Indeed. But just how realistic is a "mountain range" on a small island in the first place?

Just one word, Tenerife.

Just one word, Tenerife.

Spot on, just looked up a picture of it, looks like an interesting place, but yes it does prove that even small islands can have some pretty wild geographical variation.

Just one word, Tenerife.

It is 5 times the size of Sarah though. (2000 opposed to 400km^2)

Have you ever been to Hawaii? Or any of that chain of islands? Talk about some mountain ranges on some small islands! wink_o.gif