Sign in to follow this  
franze

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior v1.0

oh58d_k2.jpg

I like that Cobra in the left background, is that one of your models or what?

Yes the AH-1S is one of his,I received it around late last year,I know for a fact its Franze's because when I did some research in ways his vs BIS model appear (so I would have solid proof for you people) there was no mistaking.

As for it being released it still has much work,as it stands there is no cockpit whatsoever,we'v got quite a bit in our roster,to be honest I'm not even sure what there is full because Franze has some things that even I don't know about.

@Keycat

As I said earlier, I was trying to add some backwards compatability with Laser's weapons, since I use his weapons often in my private missions. As such that error escaped my grasp, but again, it shouldn't affect the addon's functionality.

Yep, same guy! whistle.gif

@Airblade

That really depends, I can't really give a honest answer on whether or not it will come about. It was originally made to serve as a basis for a AH-1J/T modification, but I ended up going back to the 1S you see in the picture and enhanced it a bit.

Nice, Very nice franze, and I like that you took the Sound effects from Jane's Longbow Gold. 2 thumbs up, and where can I get those cobras from?

Ok after playing with it I have a few issues:

My biggest complaint, which I also had with the Apache, is that the lighting and reflection properties seem messed up on the model. To see what I mean, look at where the doors meet with the side of the helicopter. The edge of the door is super reflective, while the side isnt, when they should both be the same shade. If you dont get what I mean Ill post a picture

Im pretty there is a function in O2 where you can just select all the faces you want to light correctly and then fix it. Im no modelling expert though so I could be remembering wrong.

2nd, there is some really bad texture stretching on the .50cal.

Other than that its a really great addon, keep up the good work Franze and I look forward to whatever you release next.

@Thundermaker

The lighting isn't perfect because I am by no means a master of how lighting works in O2. I believe it should be correctable with a quick smooth/sharp surface along the edge of the fuselage-door joint. I believe Nodunit is already doing this (or has done), but the lighting as is applies generally as if the door and fuselage were separate objects (which they are.) You can also remove the doors with fz_oh58doors = 0 for a temporary measure. Those doors never were very sturdy anyways.

@SeanTate

The Cobra in the photo hasn't been released yet - it doesn't even have a functioning cockpit. Sorry for the disappointment. sad_o.gif

xnodunitx,

awesome work! but i think that Kiowa with corrected lighting still has some wrong lightning parts, like the nose, it seems that faces or lightning is oposite to the kiowas sides ( i mean spill kiowa apart and you will get piece of Kiowa's left and right sides)

I know what ya mean,up there on the nose it looks sorta odd,yeah..to fix this all I have to do is highlight the nose area and make the faces smooth,not sure how its awesome,Franze is the one that made these models,I just modify their lighting wink_o.gif

ok ive tried it out and i must say its really nicely done! Allthough the sound the MG makes isnt good. Also I fly with joystick, but when im looking thrue the "sight" I use the mouse when its zoomed in on something in the distance. But you cannot move the aircraft up or down to get the weapons on target. If I then touch the stick to correct it, Ive probally lost my focus on the target and have to find it again. This while keeping the bird out of any trees and powerlines.

And a small thing but it doesnt matter to me but just little bug, the MMS turns into a square box when your not that far from the aircraft.

Also it flies really light, lighter then the littlebirds, I wonder if that is right? But Ill first try to get used to it, allthough with moving the stick just a bit its allmost done a 270 turn...

The whole thing is really nice though, place it next to the apache and it looks really cool. Ive also been in the gunner seat with is really nice for scouting, but only then your at the mercy of the AI pilot!

Really good addon except for some little stuff!

crazy_o.gif

Love this kiowa.... the only thing i can point out is that the .50 cal isnt fully auto. the co/pilot,s warnings for missile's are really handy. i havent been shot down by a missile as of yet.. absoloutely top notch biggrin_o.gif lol flights a bit crazy with the mouse sometimes.. but i should be using my joystick anyway... just laziness on my part. Overall this things a great little laugh smile_o.gif

And a small thing... It doesn't matter to me, but just little bug, the MMS turns into a square box when your not that far from the aircraft.

yup, Franze, that was my talk about... smile_o.gif

Thats not a bug,mostly an LOD thing, 2.000 to be exact,I'll mess with in the possible update.

could you do something about what I mentioned about flying with mouse! Inside the cockpit aswell, its nice so you can view the instruments but I use * view for looking arround...

The sound I can do it myself, Ive done it with the apache...

You can also remove the doors with fz_oh58doors = 0 for a temporary measure. Those doors never were very sturdy anyways.

Funny, I was just thinking about asking if you could add removeable doors for the Kiowa and lo' and behold you've already included it, awesome work man!

@Nodunit - that looks alot better.

Is there any way you could fix the texture stretching on the top and bottom of the helo, and also on the .50 cal like I mentioned before?

I like that you took the Sound effects from Jane's Longbow Gold.

Jane's Longbow 2 to be exact smile_o.gif

I gave him the entire voice-dir so I'm guessing (shooting in the dark here) that we'll see more voices for other possible vehicles.

Plenty of voices to use. 2303 samples to be exact.

@manhunter

The pilot view is difficult, I'll agree. The way I intended it to be employed was more of with zooming in and out to be able to see a target area, with the gunner handling the finer points of watching enemies.

The square box is part of the 3rd lod, and was a very lazy way to cut down on a few faces.

By flying with the mouse, do you mean the ability to slave the pilot's viewpoint or do you mean the flying characteristics? The pilot's viewpoint has to be either fixed or bound to the MMS turret; unfortunately, OFP will not allow an additional turret for the pilot to control. In regards to flying characteristics, I fly with a joystick and so the helicopter is built around flying with one. Is it really problematic to fly with the mouse? huh.gif

@wolfbite

I'm not sure what you mean by the M296 isn't fully automatic. I decided against a burst setting for it in order to make firing sounds easier to implement, so it fires for as long as you hold the trigger and have ammo.

Shadow ripped almost all the voices and SFX from LB2 and sent them to me in a whopping 60 meg file. They've been a real asset in doing lots of sounds - especially radio.

I'm not sure what you mean by the M296 isn't fully automatic. I decided against a burst setting for it in order to make firing sounds easier to implement, so it fires for as long as you hold the trigger and have ammo.

I believe it's not fully auto only if fired with the L mouse button... I've seen this with a lot of addons. It's fully auto with the keyboard fire key, and the same with a properly configured joystick.

Is there any way you could fix the texture stretching on the top and bottom of the helo, and also on the .50 cal like I mentioned before?

I'll try,the kiowa exterior was textured some time last year and I didn't mess with it since then at all,I did notice Franze corrected a thing or two for me but if he allows an update I plan to do so,btw. He's the one that textured everything in the cockpit so those credits go to him.

ew, i like this chopper... i love it, but... whats that i see in the background?! A COBRA!? HEY HEY!! WHERES THAT AT AYE?

Currently the AH-1 is the bottom on the list in terms of "upgraded' and "worked on",it has no cockpit whatsoever and the exterior textures are not done,not sure if you guys would want to fly,as Franze calls it the "Cardboard box" wink_o.gif

The cobra looks nice, but Im much more looking forward to that Blackhawk youve shown before, and the Chinook that I heard you were thinking about doing.

Ah yes the blackhawk...that one still has a bit of work for her before she's ready,and currently the chinook is still just an idea.