Sign in to follow this  
franze

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior v1.0

Greetings, ladies and gents!

It gives me great pride to announce our OH-58D Kiowa Warrior is ready for download!

oh58d_k2.jpg

Features

- Comes in 3 versions: OH-58D Kiowa, OH-58D(I) Kiowa Warrior, and OH-58D® Kiowa Warrior

- System damage

- Cycling crew MFD

- Artillery Strike capability

- Capable of loading weapons: M296 .50 caliber Machine Gun, M260 70mm Rocket Pod, AGM-114A/K HELLFIRE missiles, AIM/FIM-92 Stinger missiles

- LOBL, LOAL, and Direct HELLFIRE launch modes

- Rocket ripple fire modes (1, 2, 4, and 8)

- 'Stealth' radar jamming system

- Gunner Enable/Disable controls

- Dynamic Arming (Kiowa Warrior only)

- Missile warning and Jamming

Where to get it:

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior v1.0

(NOTICE: You need AH-64A/D Complete and JAM2/3 to use the Kiowa Warrior)

WAH-64 Upgrade 1.3

You may also review the online manual here for more information and screenshots.

I'd like to thank many addon makers all around, both past and present, for the excellent ground-breaking work they've done for the rest of us wanna-bes. I would especially like to thank OFPEC, BAS, DKMM, Col. Klink, Vektorboson, and many other excellent addon makers who I was probably inspired by, but somehow can't remember. banghead.gif

Many thanks to SJB for letting me borrow the M4 and M9 from his weapon package for use on our junky AH-64 Pilots, to which this addon is reliant on. I'd also like to credit Hyakushiki for his excellent infantry pack, from which I based our BDU pilots upon.

Hope you all enjoy the Kiowa, and try not to end up like this poor BMP:

oh58dr_kw4.jpg

it is alive...........

going airborne now as soon as downloaded biggrin_o.gif

looks really good along wid all the features...gr8 job

ps. the meaningless quotes are funny tounge2.gif

- Capable of loading weapons: M296 .50 caliber Machine Gun, M260 70mm Rocket Pod, AGM-114A/K HELLFIRE missiles, AIM/FIM-92 Stinger missiles

Very Nice.

but...

OH-58D Kiowa - recon chopper, why so much weapons?

it's not reality... that not "flying tank" as i know...

Good work on the chopper! I've provided a mirror at OFP Base.

Some pics: (Click for larger view)

kiowa4s.jpg

kiowa1s.jpg

Looking forward to more of your work!

Abs

Quote[/b] ]

OH-58D Kiowa - recon chopper, why so much weapons?

it's not reality... that not "flying tank" as i know...

It only has hardpoints for up to two weapons. That can be either a .50 cal (port side only), a 7 shot rocket pod, a dual rail HELLFIRE launcher, or a dual Stinger launcher. In other words, it can carry 4 HELLFIREs, or 4 Stinger, or 14 rockets, etc.

Quote[/b] ]

My only gripe is the explosvie tipped 50 cal rounds

See Miscellaneous Information on the manual .

Quote[/b] ]

Q: Why does the .50 caliber machine gun make explosive puffs?

A: The M296 is classed as a rocket weapon in order to leave the MMS free to rotate without giving the helicopter a 'turreted' gun. As such, it will make small explosions where it hits.

@ Abs_01 - Thanks for the mirror! thumbs-up.gif

- LOBL, LOAL, and Direct HELLFIRE launch modes

Yayyy smile_o.gif

Nice work guys! I will try it out ASAP!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

heh, tiny and awesome little helo to have fun! thumbs-up.gif

just tested the tail rotor failure during combat and i don't recomend to keep attacking targets with .50cal while tail rotor failure acures...

i spotted some wheird things with kiowa...

like if you use mouse it's hard to control, maybe xnodunitx was talking about...

with joystick it was a great flight...

bug:

one distance lod seems to show not that ball with eyes, but whole plane prepared for that ball texturing biggrin_o.gif

thnx guys for this helicopter notworthy.gif

Briefly tested the Kiowa (and the updated Longbow)! You have done a great job... Love the LOAL profile and some of the familar LB2 sounds, makes me feel "home" smile_o.gif

Also a big THANK YOU for having global variables to turn off all/some of the scripts! This is an easy thing to do but often overseen by many addon makers and makes their addons less compatible with other stuff.

Understandable but to bad there are to many limitations within the engine to really make it a LB2 replacer but anyway - GREAT JOB!

BTW, get the following error message at OFP start:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

No entry ´config.cpp/cfgWeapons.LSR_m4mag´

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Nice release! I'll be testing this later! Weee...

KeyCat, first, the "Warrior" ain't for nothing and about the error, make sure you have Laser's US weapons pack.

BTW, get the following error message at OFP start:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

No entry ´config.cpp/cfgWeapons.LSR_m4mag´

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

The documentation for the Kiowas doesn't tell you the complete set of addons it needs. Furthermore, the addon "fz_helipilots" is faulty - it doesn't properly declare it's dependency on Laser's US Weapons Pack. The "mas_m4" rifle can use magazines from that addon, hence the dependency. A corrected CfgPatches part for that addon is here:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgPatches

{

class fz_helipilots

{

units[] = {fz_ah64d_plt,fz_ah64d_plt_d,fz_ah64d_plt_bdu,fz_ah64d_plt_bdu_d};

weapons[] = {mas_m9,mas_m4};

requiredVersion = 1.91;

requiredAddons[] = {"BIS_Resistance","JAM_Magazines","LSR_uswp"};

};

};

Todo, for users and addon maker:

<ul>[*] Fix "fz_helipilots"

[*] Get Laser's US Weapons pack

[*] Update the documentation to reflect this

Love the voices and betty.

I'm sure I've heard them elsewhere whistle.gif

Keycat, you the same Keycat on the SimHQ-forum by any chance?

well, i'm just after the play with your kiowas...

just increadible! although they manuever even better than newly released TJ's Littlebirds (made by BAS), but i do like it, flip up, then suddenly flip down downwards and somehow upwards again  rofl.gif

just increadible flying with joystick! i love it! inlove.gif

but sad point of joystick flight is that i don't have pedals and throttle control, so to cycle to the left/right i need to use keyboard, which doesn't work correctly with joystick... sad_o.gif

tested hellfire's, those LOAL/LOBL/Direct targeting trajectories...

LOAL defenetely goes up just after fireing hellfire and strikes target from the sky... (but in bigger distances than 500m)

Direct strike targets directly...

and LOBL? strange, but for me it flyes almost like LOAL, but when it should hit the target from above, it starts jumping up and down in the air...

what's bad with this? maybe because of 500m distance from the target?

by the way, i tested that ball with eyes as well, it's amazing thing, huge magnification, easly rotatable, i just want to try it in MP, i would do hovering and gunner would scan perimeter...

weapon load outs as allways are great...

Laser's army pilots fits well with these babyes...

i just don't know what I should expect more from MAS  notworthy.gif

Hi,

great stuff. But one question out of sheer curiosity. Does the release of the OFP-Kiowas stand in any releation of the release of the US Army pack for VBS1? Heard there are Kiowas as well (by Franze?)

Timo

Very nice addon, love all the nifty features and the online manual explaining everything is a good read on its own. Good work. smile_o.gif

@Killswitch

Laser's weapons aren't required, I was trying to add backwards compatability with Laser's magazines. I use his weapons for pretty much all my infantry-needs, so that minor glitch must have slipped through. The error shouldn't affect functionality, but I will remove the magazine from the configuration regardless.

@Gedis

The final LOD, which is also the shadow LOD, wasn't textured at all. At the distances it shows up at, it's tough to see the finer points on it, so as a result it was poorly textured with a corner of the main body texture. whistle.gif

I never use mouse to fly helicopters in OFP, so that was one thing I overlooked.

As for LOBL, it does have some effeciency problems, especially when fired at low altitude over rough terrain. I do kind of like these effeciency problems - even if unintentional - because it makes them a little less than 100% effective. The main difference between LOAL and LOBL is that LOBL has a slightly extended range over LOAL and a less wild flight path. LOBL also requires a vehicle to lock onto - it won't acquire buildings or passive objects. LOBL is also more effective over a shorter distance, as opposed to LOAL which has a hell of a time working at close range. Just try to ignore the occasional glitch and it should work 90% of the time. wink_o.gif

@timo9988

Nope, no relation to the USARMY1 package for VBS. That OH-58 was based off of the BIS OH-58 model; ours was done from scratch. If you place the two side-by-side, you'll also notice our Kiowa is about 15% smaller.

oh, LOBL is not 100% effective at low altitudes and rough terain; it also can't hit buildings...

thanx for clearing it out! you see i was hovering in 2-5m height with joystick 500m away from building which was covered with other building from front, so i remembered that LOBL is a bit of "not high flight trajectory" and turn LOAL but it doesn't hit the building, just passed it, but i read the FAQ and found that LOAL recommended distance is 1500m...

after hellfire missed building with LOAL i flew at same altitude to a different spott, where the target was seen clearly, fired, and missed...

so low altitude and short range count's to the acuracy of those launch modes... thumbs-up.gif

P.S. let's have some funn with Kiowas again... don't disturb, pilot is away, he's trying to handle little Kiowa wink_o.gif

For those curious about the differences between LOAL and LOBL, here's a quick and dirty chart of their flight paths in game:

lobl_loal_flt.jpg

oh58d_k2.jpg

I like that Cobra in the left background, is that one of your models or what?

KeyCat, first, the "Warrior" ain't for nothing and about the error, make sure you have Laser's US weapons pack.

I didn't say it was for nothing wink_o.gif

Regarding the error. Since it was no mention of it in the README.TXT I don't think LSR's weapon pack is needed. Seems like Franze's confirm this as well and just a tiny bug that will be fixed.

@Shadow: Yes, the same KeyCat as over there and I assume you and Franze are the same as well??

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)