Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Amazing new fire and smoke effects by john

i patched all the data.pbo i get the smoke effects but no fire

i talked to JOHN last night on msn, he has a fixed version notworthy.gif

no blinky textures and a much smoother fire. i think he said he sent it to OFP.info but he said something after i didnt catch. rofl.gif

i like them right now

IMHO i think these are one of the best fires to date. give it time and patients and it will be awesome.

I finally had a chance to test out the effects. The main problem I saw was not colors, but there being little similarity between the 'shapes' of the smoke and flames. It seemed that made it stand out the most, even if it was at a slower speed you would still be able to see the uneasy transitions between the shapes..

Even if the smoke was slowed down and the shades of smoke uniformed, you would still see edges appear and disappear, the shapes and similarity amongst all of the actual textures ought to be worked on a bit more, when the transition is smoother, then it gives it a much more realistic look..

I do not know how to explain this too well but I hope someone understands what I am trying to say confused_o.gif

The source of most of problems reported by people happens because John hasen't used 'consecutive animated textures' but 'different textures placed one after the other'.

That's why the transition between each texture seems weird in game.

E.G

John current transitions.

anim11so.jpg

and that's how the animation should be.

anim24qk.jpg

Btw, if some people would like to customize their own flame and smoke effects even without using any drop command or without editing the cfgcloudlets then unpbo your Data and get a look on the following files:

Smoke effects : 'basic.06.paa -> basic.16.paa' [cl_basic animations]

Flame effects : 'fire.73.paa -> fired.119.paa' [cl_fire animations]

Hope this would help.

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

dude... he said it was fixed. i like that but you would loose the variation, if you blended them to make more frames it would look smoother and still retain the variation in flames

In pictures its awesome, not quite as awesome ingame when all you can see is flickering.

As thunderbird pointed out, this needs transitions between the textures.

When or if john decides to do the "in-between" textures Ofp wont be the same anymore. smile_o.gif

I don't know.. If it was a smaller scaled fire, I can understand the rough transitions but larger fires always seem a bit uniformed in shape, especially transitions from flame to flame..

It all sort of flows toghether and I wouldn't mind it if there were a few 'jumpy' flames thrown in, but it looks more like a very diverse set of flames thrown toghether..

I just want to see this at its' very best, it may take some time but it is getting there.

and is not possible to make these transitions for explosions and then a more consecutive ones for the flames ? huh.gif

great ...now i can replay too crazy_o.gif

thanks mates ...helped me very much there.....

correct the transitions. was the mistake...i have correct them now...and its better...

i will figure out more to soon...it was my first effect...na not really whistle.gif ................see u soon

Version 2.0 is a visible improvement, thanks again for the effort John. I just hope I am not being too demanding confused_o.gif

Indeed, the enhancements done on the transitions are noticeable and greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your next projects.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

once again fantastic job thanks for great addon/effect

p.s just one lil thing, how you get the thin plume of fire in original pic ? in first post here anyone know.

Search ofp.cz for 'CAT's Fires' or something similar.

looks much better, a full animation would be ultimate badass.

YAY it sounds great if you got rid of that flickering they will be great

I think i know why i didnt enjoy them that much before is because of the fire effects not working but i found out how now so its much better im installing the patch now

you must play using a mod which already replaces the fire for tanks.

Since on the original game there was no fire effects on the tanks so there were no effects to replace so if you use ECP the fire effects given using ECP are now replaced by the ones used in this pack by John

If theres a different way to get fire effects to work on tanks without a mod im all ears biggrin_o.gif

Oh and ive patched up and had a quick play much more impressive this time. It still flickers a little but no where near as much as last time the effects look great and adds some great atmosphere. If only you could get rid of the flickering 100% that would trhen be truly amazing.

Also why is the topic title named " Amazing new fire and smoke effects by john " there are no rain effects replaced, well i havent noticed any

Has an interesting effect when used with Nim weather smile_o.gif

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Note: this is standard BIS sky. Think it would prolly look better with Llaumax. Fo me though there are still flickering issues and some fundamental problems with using flat textures for smoke (flatness that 'rotates' when u move around it, like old 2d sprites used to in games like doom.) I think it's wonderful work. Amazing and John deserves a lot of credit though.

I'm trying to update this myself with more transitional 'slides' if you will. I have the fire frames all made but don't know what textures the patch adds/updates in data.pbo. Any help would be appreciated.