Sign in to follow this  
Spy17

Rainbow Six: Letdown DEMO

They finally added ironsights to all weapons!

They are 3D and look really good.

Rest of the game is not my taste really. Team of 4 against 100 terrorists the AI is not good either.

Graphics are nice though.

So far I'd call it R6:Letdown.

You can clearly tell its more aimed at CS and BF2-players rather than their existing loyal fans.

So far they've "fixed" alot of stuff not needing any "fixing".

Hud shows amount of bullets instead of mags remaining. Ammo-count in the mag is a bar. When you change mags before you're out you're not getting the +1. Both you and the AI can take alot of pounding before you go down and I mean alot. Gone is the planning-phase, selectable characters and character stats.

Most of the new features could have easily been added to RvS  icon_rolleyes.gif

I might change my mind when we see some realism-mods, but so far the game is not looking good.

Wow, that sucks. Before for Flashpoint the game I really enjoyed for realism was Rogue Spear. I wish the new Rainbow Six games since then were never ever made, they are crap games that have nothing in common with the first two at all.

I guess I would not mind if they had released them but under different names than Rainbow Six. To me it's as foolish as if Serious Sam had been released as Operation Flashpoint:The Serious Missions.

I think the last true Red Storm game was the first Ghost Recon? Rainbow Six Raven Shield is probably the only decent UBI Storm game, but it still doesn't compare to Rogue Spear.

Oh well, if ARMA sucks I'll probably only upgrade my computer one more time. No need to waste money on hardware and new money pits like the proposed "Physics cards" when there will never be a good computer game released ever again.

You can clearly tell its more aimed at CS and BF2-players rather than their existing loyal fans.

More sales for ArmA then! wink_o.gif

Its a terrible game with great graphics and nothing more, it lost trademark features and concept and even the presentation and characters look stupid and lame, its linear, on rails and level sections actually load seperately, RIP R6, let this be a lesson about the efects of consolisation sad_o.gif .

Problem with such games is that they are produced for mass audience to make cash. Run&shoot means few days of proper fun.

OFP was made purely out of love for game making and making some cash.

We can expect that Arma/OFP2 will be great game (unlike RS), but it will also have slower sales but much longer life.

I agree with all the above said!

But:

Don´t you agree with me on the nice iron sights.

Best I have seen in a game jet.

Kind of does not fit to the rest of the game.

Problem with such games is that they are produced for mass audience to make cash. Run&shoot means few days of proper fun.

We can expect that Arma/OFP2 will be great game (unlike RS), but it will also have slower sales but much longer life.

I dont know about the lower sales. With more and more people opting out of the niche market that War Simulations are and going for a more arcade type of gameplay the players in that market will be pushed towards fewer titles. Less supply for the same amount of demand. A few years back you had the same with flightsims, the MSFS and MSCFS series owning the market, and look at it now, there are more and more new players on the market (maddox games etc.).

R6:Lockdown is crap.

R6:Lockdown has nothing with the old Rainbow Six titles in common, except for the looks. Gameplay has been heavily mutilated and is now just like in any other cheap shoot'n'run.

I liked the single player experience from Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon, these was really interesting games in their time (i even replay some Ghost Recon missions from time to time).

But the Raven Shield "evolution" of the RS serie totally lost me when i noticed in the demo it was not possible anymore to ask the operators to face a certain direction while being ingame.

As i quickly noticed that the AI was always deciding to face a direction all by itself, ending often in the whole squad being shot in the back from an obvious dangerous spot that the AI decided to ignore.

And as i liked the SP aspect of Rogue Spear, this problem was a major "no no" for me.

I don't realy understand why the new opus of the RS serie are going to the "arcade" way, removing the planning just kill the whole RS concept.

I dont know about the lower sales. With more and more people opting out of the niche market that War Simulations are and going for a more arcade type of gameplay the players in that market will be pushed towards fewer titles. Less supply for the same amount of demand. A few years back you had the same with flightsims, the MSFS and MSCFS series owning the market, and look at it now, there are more and more new players on the market (maddox games etc.).

What I meant for Arma was that sales curve will be flatter but much longer, giving more profits over a longer period of time.

RS will high up in the short period and will die soon after. All of this is connected to fun factor of each production.

RS will high up in the short period and will die soon after. All of this is connected to fun factor of each production.

Unless they go the EA-route and charge money for patches ("booster-packs").

Its funny all the RvS-haters had no respect for Ubi after RvS. Now everyone has lost respect for RSE.

Quote[/b] ]Don´t you agree with me on the nice iron sights.

Best I have seen in a game jet.

That is a given today for the kind of game this "thing" tries to be. I was shocked when I first learned RvS was not going to have it.

One of the first PC games I played was Rainbow Six, and it blew me away. The idea that equipping your team and planning the assault was more important than the action side of things was something new for me, considering that I was a console gamer.

It started going downhill with Counter Strike and DF: Land Warrior if you ask me. Dumbing it down by removing the fundamental realism, and still marketing it as tactical or realistic. That's why the only games I've played longer than a month at a time over the last few years have been OFP, Hidden and Dangerous 2, SWAT3 and SWAT4. These still have the spirit that the soldier-sim sub-genre had when it started, unlike Soldner, CS, Day of Defeat, Lockdown, Team Factor and the other dozen games that pretend to be of the same ilk.

I'm talking bollocks now, I need another pint.

SWAT 3, the only other game than OFP that had me hooked on the one single demo level i endlessly played smile_o.gif

those were the days

What on Earth have they done to Rainbow Six?!  banghead.gif

I used to play swat 3 too. Never online tho, First game i played on pc was delta force 1 (or whatever its name) Was wicked and also on a lan. Made me buy a pc and im so glad i did. Never really been a fan of the Rainbow 6 series,

banghead.gif Yep, downloaded....demoed it....uninstalled it.

Quote[/b] ]What on Earth have they done to Rainbow Six?!

Exactly!

What's next? Allowing jumping like in AA?

Gonna reinstall Rogue Spear....Aaaaahh good times. GOOD TIMES!

The first Delta Force games by Novalogic ruled! As did Tank Platoon Two and the first few Rainbow Six games. I've looked up some reviews on the console versions, they all seem prety appalled by the fact that they've taken away the planning stages. Also, the terrorists are apparently fighting to rid the 3rd world of debt.  crazy_o.gif

banghead.gif Yep, downloaded....demoed it....uninstalled it.
Quote[/b] ]What on Earth have they done to Rainbow Six?!

Exactly!

What's next? Allowing jumping like in AA?

Gonna reinstall Rogue Spear....Aaaaahh good times. GOOD TIMES!

I'll second that!

R1 and R2 were the days... then came OFP biggrin_o.gif

I really hope neither ArmA nor Game2 give this much bad taste for their old community (us), as RvS and this new PoS have for the old Rainbow community.

Our last hope is on BIS inlove.gif

I never understood what was wrong with RvS compared to R6 and RS. In my opinion it added alot of features the two previous games sorely lacked. I think RvS was by far the best of the three. But this new eh.. "thing" is a hit below the belt. I can only wait for the mod-community to make a realism mod for it. The only good thing is that Letdown's engine is an updated GR-engine (which is an updated R6-engine). This means its very open for modding.

Hi,

Rainbow Six was a great game, Rogue Spear and RS: Urban Operations improved on it, but Raven Shield was a let down. For me it remains a puzzle why the option of a fourth team was taken away. The RvS soldier models were not scaled differently for the individual team members with a generic size for all. Visually, it did not have the RSE texture style of the older games which I quite liked. Also, the fact that it was not easy to alter the uniforms to custom skins was a let down. Urban Operations has outlived Raven Shield as a game, I still play it from time to time.

Regards,

Sander

I never understood what was wrong with RvS compared to R6 and RS. In my opinion it added alot of features the two previous games sorely lacked. I think RvS was by far the best of the three. But this new eh.. "thing" is a hit below the belt. I can only wait for the mod-community to make a realism mod for it. The only good thing is that Letdown's engine is an updated GR-engine (which is an updated R6-engine). This means its very open for modding.

I agree about RvS, it was buggy but it was the best, the old Rainbows on RSE's engine had terrible a.i. and were not has detailed just to name a few but i will definetly not support UBI's decision of turning R6 into that consolish thingy wether its modable or not, i think it looks pretty but is damaged behiond repair, i vote with my €'s on their poor decision..

I was a bit mixed about RvS, but on the whole I found it pretty decent.

Hud shows amount of bullets instead of mags remaining. Ammo-count in the mag is a bar. When you change mags before you're out you're not getting the +1. Both you and the AI can take alot of pounding before you go down and I mean alot. Gone is the planning-phase, selectable characters and character stats.

But... Without the planning, without the lethality of the firearms, without the relatively realistic ammo management, how the hell is this even an R6 game?! I was looking forward to this, even installed the demo, but looks like it's getting the uninstall before it even gets run. Twats. banghead.gif