Sign in to follow this  
Lightspeed

Info for a Noob

First up Im thrilled with what Ive seen so far in ArmA, and Im hoping it will be the next Ghost Recon after the let down from NUBISOFT and partners.

I guess the alarm bells that ring when I see the inclusion of vehicles is, will this be like a BF2 environment wherby anyone can jump in any vehicle and take control without any real control required.

Will fags tk teammates in vehicles so they die, then jump and steal the vehicle?

Are there unlimited respawns so that life has no value?

Are there medals, and badges, etc - so that ppl play for themselves not for their team.

Can you see where Im going with this? Will this be one of the gayest FPS like BF2, or will this aim to and succeed in being the most realistic FPS ever released?

Lightspeed

it definately is no BF clone, it will be like the original OFP, killing people in tanks is for now impossible, unless you destroy the tank tounge2.gif. Also it's a huge map, so no BF like thing, a small maps, get the objectives tanks respawn there...

Everything depends on the missions though, there are missions with no respawns, but there are also missions with respawns, there is a wide variety of missiontypes, most will need teamwork to succeed.

In the original you could take control of all vehicles, if not locked. This all depends on the mission again.

As far as I know, there are no medals or badges, and I don't see why they should include it. I suggest you download the OFP demo, it would be a bit like it, but of course many things will change.

It will be so realistic that it will blow your socks of;)

There is a good chance that it is so realistic that it will put off many gamers.

Don't see it as a game (like GRAW or BF). See it as a simulation. You can walk to the next village (e.g. because your heli was shot down) ... fine it takes you 15 minutes. And on arrival you could be shot dead by one bullet.

If you think 'Jeez, i just spent 15 minutes on doing nothing and now i'm dead by some unseen bastard' and you don't like that, then this game is not for you.

You have to be prepared to go all the way with this 'game', but if you are up to this, this game will be HEAVEN:)

Dohhh... icon_rolleyes.gif No, it's nothing like BF and it is completely hetero, rest assured. I suggest getting OFP Game Of The Year edition while waiting for ArmA, shouldn't be more than 15€ or so and it's basicly 3+n games in one thumbs-up.gif

edit: Next Ghost Recon? crazy_o.gifmad_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

First, welcome to the community smile_o.gif

Second, don't mention or even dare compare BF to OFP. BF is an arcade shooting game, OFP is a battlefield simulator all by itself.

Third, if you are looking for realism, just think that the game has been used by the military for training purpose. Well, it's an enhenced version of the game which is called VBS1, but it's basically still the same engine. If you want to have a look :VBS1 homepage

Regarding OFP, you can still buy it for less than 10€/10$, DL the patches for nothing on the website and find by yourself how great a game this is.

Believe me I have already sussed out VBS1, which is how I discovered ArmedAssault. The VBS1 disks were to damn expensive..lol.

I came across it after talking to some members of Alpha Squad, a group of exmilitary/modders in the Ghost Recon community who have modded GR and use mods which bring it as close to real life as is possible with the GR engine.

It is a matter of finding the game that serious COOPers can move to in the future, and while it seems like GR3 may fail to deliver, Armed Assault looks like it is exactly what we want.

I only ask the question about BF2, to try to guage who the community is here. Run n gunners, or serious tactical players. I am glad that we are all thinking along the same lines here.

Look forward to talking to you more, and maybe even fighting along side you down the track.

Lighty

btw, if anyone is interested in what alpha squad dows, they do have a public server where we play COOP misiions 24/7.

ALPHA SQUAD HOMEPAGE

Hehe, I guess you never played OFP, as you'd know that there is a huge difference between this community and the BF2 one. You certainly won't see any bunny-hoppers of dolphin-divers here mate... wink_o.gif

Welcome to the forums lightspeed. Im just here to back up everyone else here and to tell you that you wont be dissapointed by Armed Assault (As long as its in keeping with Operation flashpoint) Forget everything you see in Battlefield as that is just a arcade mindless shooting game. Flashpoint is a simulation and armed assault will just build on that. 1 shot kills, running and firing doesnt work unless totally close range, no jumping, maps with no respawns, huge landscapes, any vehicle you can think of has been made or will be, just anything and everything is possible with this game. Its gonna be a blinder biggrin_o.gif

Well it depends what you´re looking for, if you expect Armed Assault to be corridor shooter like Ghost Recon then you will be disappointed.

Believe me I have already sussed out VBS1, which is how I discovered ArmedAssault. The VBS1 disks were to damn expensive..lol.

Since it is a wait until Armed Assault is here, I think you should get OFP, get some new addons and then you will know how it is to play. Of course ArmedAssault will be much better in many ways. Atleast download a demo of OFP. It will look crappy though without addons but it give you an idea how it works.

Funny how much the GR community have taken VBS1 to its heart, but I know players that were disappointed by it. You know, they just bought it cos their GR teammates did and that is

alot of money to spend. You would think they atleast tried out OFP first. VBS1 is an updated engine used as a real military sim.

You would survive with OFP but some of us just wants more. biggrin_o.gif

But anyway, OFP is in my opinion way beyond GR in realism, and hopefully ArmedAssault will be even more "extreme" towards experiencing realistic warfare. Also the game(s) has the biggest maps ever, its so silly to even start to compare them to other games. Other games have absolutley nothing, a backyard, a closet, zero. You MUST use vechicles cos otherwise you get nowhere.

Here's some MP differences that come into mind comparing to GR: (prolly has some mistakes, I'm no GR expert, only played it through once a long time ago)

+actual weapon sights

+free aim, crosshair is not locked to the center of the screen

+no crosshair at all on many servers

+weapon sway, insted of exaggerated inaccuracy like in most games

+realistic weapon sway when moving, arms hit or out of breath

+ballistics (bullets are drawn towards ground by gravity) and ricochet damage

+huge maps (standard islands about 50-90km^2, max 625km^2 or so)

+realistic navigation with compass and map, or even the stars

+lots of freedom in missions, no "invisible walls" or artificial boundaries blocking the way or guiding the player

+NO heart-beat sensor or whatever that thing is

+loads of transport, armored transport and combat vehicles, including air craft and naval units, every vehicle can be used by players

+lots of great mods and addon weapons, vehicles, islands etc

+dozens of very different mission types, from corridor DM/CTF to real time strategy with hundreds of units on huge maps

+players can commmand 11 AI soldiers, even more with some scripting. Almost total control over AI, they don't just follow you around or move by preset waypoints.

+acceptable view distance, about 1km on most servers (said to be about 2km in ArmA)

+...and more smile_o.gif

-poor cheat and fake ID protection (might be fixed with ArmA)

-relatively lot of cheaters in public servers for such an old game, and they don't even cheat to win, they just ruin games on purpose (so don't expect that great mp on open servers), mostly on CTF, C&H and CTI missions though

-max players on internet games only about 30 (probably more with ArmA)

-quite out-dated gfx without mods/addons (better with ArmA)

-same deal with the sounds, there's good sound mods also

-3rd person view on some servers

Hehe, that came out as a bit longer rant than I had expected biggrin_o.gif Well, what the hell...

Lightspeed, take the advice of these fine gentlemen and do yourself a favor: go get OFP. wink_o.gif

As PrivateNoob said, OFP surpasses GR's realism. Meaning OFP > GR. In other words, OFP and all it's brothers and sisters by BIS pwn all other war sims. While you're waiting for ArmA, get OFP GOTY. Patch it up to 1.96, and get something like FFUR, CSLA, ECP, Y2K3, or some other TC mod. You'll thank us. tounge2.gif

Happy playing, dude. wink_o.gif

do not under any circumstances download the ofp demo.

it looks crap and aged. to be expected cause its almost 5 years old now.

(If you have to get something then get OFP goty edition and then the latest patches and a few addons - it still rocks and is amazing fun to play even tho the graphics are a bit dated).

ArmAss will be a great game. one of the best of the year i hope.

I bought the GOTY edition this summer for 10Å with free deliver from play.com

Same here, although trying to play Multiplayer is a frustrating and long winded process. Ihave had the game for about 3 weeks now (second time around) and haven't managemed to play one game yet.

Great game, crap Multiplayer.

yea that should improve in armed assault when join in progress is implemented, for now youll just have to wait for the game to finish intill you can join in confused_o.gif and of course theres servers with silly ammounts of addons you got to download, thats what really drove me away from MP. All the damn little tiny useless addons people include in some missions which involve me having to search and download crap for hours on end intill i can join the server, then i gotta wait for the damn game to finish till i can start playing...

roll on armed assault!

@ Jan. 10 2006,15:46)]Well it depends what you´re looking for, if you expect Armed Assault to be corridor shooter like Ghost Recon then you will be disappointed.

Just need to correct U here that GR was/is not a corridor shooter as U suggest. Although its maps are tiny compared to OFP it was/is a tactical shooter in the same way as OFP.

Apart from OFP it's the only game I keep coming back to mainly because it still looks and sounds brilliant even though its about the same age as OFP!   wink_o.gif

Graphics apart though it cannot touch the simply vast landscapes and player interaction with vehicles and weapons and combat realism that OFP can. And like has already been said ArmA will just take this forward even further and with new graphics put even GR out of favour!  tounge2.gif

Thankyou Red Kite for taking that comment and replying.

I didnt want to start an arguement over GR corridor shooter, but my feelings on GR is that it is still large battlefields (small compared to OFP I know), however, in a sense the battle is right there in front of you, you dont have to travel the vast distances to get to it.

If anyone has ever tried the Alpha Squad missions from GR, they would know that it highly tactical, the AI are extremely aggressive and efficient at killing, the missions are excellent and always challenging, and only extremely well executed team coordination enables missions to be completed.

However, GR is not perfect, nor I suspect was OFP. Lets hope that ArmA is everything we all want, and that BIA Game to Be Released in Q4 is even better again. I must say the SS for that game are sick. Link time......

SCREENIES OF THE NEXT GAME...

Lighty out.

Adding another major difference to the BF/OFP comparison on page1...

It seems to me that BI actually cares what's going on in the community and unlike EA/Dice aren't in it for (just) the quick bucks. Just look at these forums, with BI employees actually reading them now and then. We knew about fire-and-forget weapons, EA has invented publish-and-forget.

It's like BF2 was never beta-tested before it hit the stores. Even over half a year later, most of the major bugs have not been fixed. (friendly showing up as enemy, enemy showing up as friendly, missiles going through vehicles, AA missiles seem to prefer friendly choppers over targets they're actually locked on to, and on and on...)

Instead of fixing the game, EA/Dice decided to work on the first and probably by now the second expansion. The first expansion has some guns in it that are better than the ones in the original game and these weapons can be used in the original game too, but only by people who paid the $30 for the expansion. (Others can pick them up from dead guys, but can not start with them.)

I fear one of the next BF2 expansions will have special grenades that kill everyone that didn't buy the latest expansion, on the entire map, in a single blast.

Single player in BF2 might as well not have been there. Tiny maps with AI Rambo's that must have been modelled to Stallone's real brains. You can have about a day worth of fun with BF2 single player. I feel sorry for people who bought it but don't have internet, they do still exist you know.

So I'm begging BI, even if you are desperate for a publisher... please don't do business with EA. I'd rather wait longer for your next game than to have it exploited by EA. EA has eaten up other good studios, digested the good parts and all that's left coming from EA is sh*t.

Just my 0.02 Kc.

The one that gets me is how EA said initially "1280x1024 is not supported in anyway", and there was a hug panic/backlash from all the LCD owners who could only run that resolution and aspect ratio. With OFP, you can stuff in any parameters you feel like, even for some wacky resolution or aspect ratio none has ever heard of, and it works.

Quote[/b] ]shinRaiden Posted on Jan. 12 2006,20:07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one that gets me is how EA said initially "1280x1024 is not supported in anyway", and there was a hug panic/backlash from all the LCD owners who could only run that resolution and aspect ratio. With OFP, you can stuff in any parameters you feel like, even for some wacky resolution or aspect ratio none has ever heard of, and it works.

Amen to that brother. 'BIS programmeth in, BIS taketh away' tounge2.gif

I suggest you take a look in the combat photography thread in the General section of ofp to see what mods can do to this game graphically.

I suggest you take a look in the combat photography thread in the General section of ofp to see what mods can do to this game graphically.

Just remember that the majority of them are photoshopped. tounge2.gif