Sign in to follow this  
caz

small arms vs choppers

is it worth taking pot shots at them with rifles?

after trying to do a rambo by shooting at a Hind with a M-60 for ages i didnt seem to do any damage at all sad.gif i know about using LAW's and all but its sometimes hard to when theres none about

although i did have some sucess shooting down a OH-58 with 50cal of a jeep once in multiplayer biggrin.gif

There´s no use in taking shot at a Hind with a M60 - he will only get mad and kill U. U better hide.....The other heli´s however...

You have a very good chance of knocking down pilots in all western choppers, as the cockpit glass is portrayed non bullet resistent in OFP for western A/C.

General airframe structure is also weaker for western units.

Trying to take down a MI-24 with 0.50 or even lesser calibre is almost useless in OFP, a waste of ammunition.

For reality;

according to Janes the AH-64 is as armored as the Hind, with slightly better crew survivability (in case of fatal hits) and more system redundancy.

its a case of pot luck i.e. if ur lucky enuff to hit a badly damaged chopper or just happen to take out the pilot with a head shot. i once managed to accomplish this in mp, i was well happy with meself smile.gif

Ok, this is a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does anyone else have trouble locking AA weapons like the AT-4, Strella or Stinger onto choppers? I find the US weapons the most troublesome.

Is there some sort of trick to it? Or can choppers not be targeted? sad.gif

The AT4 is an anti-tank weapon, and won't lock onto aircraft. I've not have had any trouble with real AA weapons, however.

i once used the M2 .50cal to knock down a Hind, but it really took a while. On the Vulcan mission, i took the Stinger and did knock down a chopper (i think it was a Mi-8 though)

I once emptied 3 clips from the M16 at a Hind, on setbehaviour "CARELESS". It killed the pilot.

Also, I had a chopper (AH-64) flying over a village full of russians with Aks. They all fired at it and they killed the pilot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Jan. 20 2002,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Stingers are weak and useless.<span id='postcolor'>

The stingers aren't meant for choppers. They're for taking down the jets, and they'll do that in one hit. That's why they're so fast.

I remember the day when the game first came out, I was on a server against a few people. One guy was in a helicoppter, I was on the ground with my trusty AK47. He spot me on the ground and thought he'd just stop and watch me run away. Instead I fired one lucky shot and got him right in the head. I then saw the chopper go down smile.gif

Stingers are indeed a bit too fast to be very effective against choppers. As you might have noticed, the only way to take out a chopper with a Stinger, is to hit it in the face when closing in on you, or in the back, when it passed you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I once emptied 3 clips from the M16 at a Hind, on setbehaviour "CARELESS". It killed the pilot.<span id='postcolor'>

This really is impossible. The Mi24 cockpit is not penetrable (sp?) by bullets. The only way you can take down and OFP Mi24 with an M16, is by emptying like 20 clips on it, causing the chopper's 'virtual healthbar' (yes there is one) to run out and the chopper will explode.

As for the Apache...

It does have bullet resistant glass, but only on the front. So if you shoot at the pilot/gunner from the side, you'll be able to pierce the cockpit (it's the same IRL I think).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Jan. 20 2002,22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's pretty hard to target the jets with that missile.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, it is a bit hard on the first pass. You gotta wait till they're properly spotted. So implementing a spotter here is a good idea. Preferably ai or player with a high speed pute so he can see further if the mission allows it.

Sorry, I can't test for you. Still waiting for a replacement disc.

*wraps fingers on something that makes a wrapping sound when fingers are wrapped upon it, at the same time tapping foot on something that makes a tapping sound when a foot is tapped on it*

OK, if we cant use Stinger's, and small arms are out of the question, how do we take out a Hind, unless you happen to have a Vulcan handy?

I'm sure we all know just how hard it is to hit a moving chopper with a LAW or Carl Gustav 84mm {I know it can be done, but it's very difficult. Oh, and for the record, I found it takes 2 LAW hits to do the job}.

I've found that jumping in an empty .50 machine gun is usually suicide against a Hind, too.

Is the best tactic simply to hide if you don't have the right hardware?  confused.gif

think thats about right

they get bored after a while (multi-player) and start to come in low and slow and thats when u get them

*loud evil laugh that echos across the land

1 or 2 stinger(s) is enuf to bring a Hind down, allthough it doesn't explode. I found a hit would make the chopper unflyable.

3 Stingers to make the hind unflyable, 2 laws(!) to do the same. Yes, if you hit a full health Hind with a law, it will keep on flying.

Well, if you hit it in the right spot, it will go in a backwards bannana into the air, and the ai pilot helplessly tries to pull out, but hits the ground and dies.

That's how I shot down the Hind in Montignac. biggrin.gif

You can take down a hind with a law, if you hit it in the side, but ive only ever done this when it wasnt flying, but it shouldnt be any different, and today, i was firing a stinger at a hind, and it took 2 shots, because the first hit the bottom, which just pushed it upwards, but the second hit the tail which unblanced it, and sent it into the ground, thats pretty much the way i always see hinds destroyed.

And the rpg's. In that black op mission where u had too knock out those shilkas, i got pissed off at the hind constantly flying over shining its light on me, so i used one of my rpg's i stole froma guy on it, and it landed in the shilka base, but the alarm didnt go off. Must take alot to make them nervous eh?