Sign in to follow this  
sluggCDN

Character Ragdoll and more

I really don't care how the bodies fall down, I just don't want stuff to clip through them when they are on the ground, such as stairs, other dead bodies, or objects they may be next to. Also, I don't think the weapon should be attached to the dead body, because that makes for some silly poses when you blow somebody up or kill them at the top of a slope or something.

Here's a good demonstration how ragdolls simulate life fairly well.

Warning, it's an explicit video of a hiddeous car accident.

<link removed>

note that this person is trown out add an incredible speed, it makes a huge difference with static objects or moving persons who get shot. I'm good with just normal animations, frees more CPU to other things.

Here's a good demonstration how ragdolls simulate life fairly well.

Warning, it's an explicit video of a hiddeous car accident.

The video you posted is very close to breaking the "No posting of explicit images" rule, breaking this results in a permanent ban, I would suggest being more careful in future.

However the fact is that the site you link to does contain content which contravenes forum rules so I've removed it. Next time merely linking to such a site could well result in a permanent ban.

I've embarrassed myself again, have I? Appologies. It was hard to find such a video that demonstrates the principle without ending in a death.

Kode, yeah, he was thrown out with incredible force, but so are the soldiers in ofp who are blasted with large, explosive shells. Usually the shooting videos are very hard to watch. There's no way I'm going to link to those. ^_^

It was hard to find such a video that demonstrates the principle without ending in a death.

Thats the thing, if somebody is shot, they dont always die before they hit the ground, but it looks like that with ragdolls wink_o.gif

I'd rather see guys actually react to the area around them when killed.  I hate seeing them go through little things and even houses.

I'd atleast like to see Ragdoll with explosions or something.  I think the idea that Raven Shield has would work well.  Implement ragdoll, and as soon as the body has sat for 2-3 seconds, shut it off completely and basicly "freeze" the physics on the object.  This could go with practically anything, and I'm thinking it could reduce the drag on the CPU.

And about the "Ragdoll for any kind of shot." I have a feeling that after being hit three or four times, you're not going to want to move any, or at all. I'm sure you could implement what some games do with the idea of going down as a ragdoll and turning into a wounded on the ground. It's like saying shooting a guy in OFP is unrealistic because he hasn't been killed but has gone down and still uses a death animation.

Blending animation with ragdolling is possible, thus solving all the problems associated with a person being convincingly alive, then suddenly dead and floppy.

Also, freezing the ragdoll physics on a body, or any physics for that matter after 3 seconds or so, isn't wise. You end up with some very wierd, impossible poses and positions for items and bodies, Doom 3 suffered from this. yay.gif

From what I remember reading about the Vietnam war... When a soldier was shot, he would just drop like a brick because of all his gear. Ragdoll physics are a little too dramatic, slow and cartoony - unless done right.

Some games I noticed are now using a mix of both. An animation to start off the death, and a few ragdoll physics thrown in just to make it look more realistic. I think Half-Life 2 and Perfect Dark Zero did this at times... but I could be mistaken.

Ragdoll is still fairly new I would say, and still has ways to go with weight, velocity and enviormental obstruction. Can wait and see how BIS puts this into OFP2. Because it's going to take one hell of a game engine to have all this stuff going on at once...

Naw, HL2 just has a really great ragdoll solver. The only weird thign about it is that bullets impart impulses that are much too large to the parts they hit... which makes them get pushed over by bullets sometimes, especially after repeated hits.

Max Payne has the most awesome ragdolls ever notworthy.gif

that game and its sequel were far too short sad_o.gif

such an amazing experience

If by most awesome you mean most ridiculous, then yes. IMO, that kind of ragdolls would not fit ArmA. I'd like either realistic or no ragdolls at all.

Don't get me wrong, I loved MP2 for the short time it took to finish it with every difficulty level (without any quick saves of course, only one of the levels was really difficult smile_o.gif) And the first MP was ok too.

'rag doll' effects don't matter to me, the bit that matters to me is the point until the immediate threat ceases to be a threat.

How they fall or otherwise doesn't matter to me one bit so long as they don't do irritating things like start bouncing like a beach ball, or get pushed along by vehecles.

It just doesn't matter to me.

you know what i mean - ragdolls when implemented well are a great way of furthering the immersion in the game

there's nothing worse than seeing the same deathanimation of a soldier clutching his stomach and falling over when you've headshotted him with a .50 cal

it's say there was nothing worse than looking at mutilated dead body. i've always thought that op.fp has had enough types of dead characters. I spend my time concentrating on living, not studying the dead, not insinuating you are - but i've always shot someone in the head and thats were the blood is.

If you shot someone in the head with a .50 cal it would be a discusting sight i asure you. If I was a developer, studying dead people and putting that into a game, or the way people die seems to be in the least an onerous thing to expect from any developer.

ragdoll doesn't matter to me -I'm sure they are improving the way people die but enough to study a thesis on the subject i doubt IMHO that is.

Omg this skeletor...Go away and play your ragdoll FPS games, Ofp and it's sequels is not for you! Ragdoll would be so goddamn laggy, try AA for example. If many guys dies at the same time the fps drop is huge, death animations are cool.

I don't think there's any reason to get catty in here on this issue. "OMG go back to where you came from" is a little bit harsh. I think that there's a division here that is unlikely to be filled.

I think that this issue must tap into some kind of 'what ofp means to me' thing. Obviously, many of us have a strong schema regarding what OFP is, and are prepared to defend it. Even so, I don't think we need to be so elitist that we exclude people based on their particular tastes, or experiences. There is nothing at stake in this thread, these suggestions are not going to make it into ArmA- We're simply discussing the concept.

that we exclude people

Well, most people (me included), dont want the game to become "mainstream", OFP was very hard and alot of people were turned of by the graphics, and ofcourse they are welcome to play ArmA, we dont want ArmA to be made for "them"  tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif

EDIT: didnt come out right, oh well, what i ment was:

We dont want the game more atractive, because if it becomes that, it wont be the same game anymore.

(still sounds crappy, im going to bed crazy_o.gif )

I don't want any CS:S or BF2 players that only play it to see how nice the normal mapping is, I want people that find joy in laying in the woods for 2 hours waiting for a convoy to pass by and blow it up band.gif

The more revenue BIS gets, the better. If BF2 players buy it and play it and get something out of it, sweet. If they get nothing out of it, sweet. Whatever floats their boat. They can decide whether or not they want to participate in the community. I, personally, don't play vanilla OFP because it is too unrealistic in terms of what I know. I like WGL and FDF. This doesn't mean I should feel like you are inferior to me, or that you have nothing worthwhile to say.

They could implement ragdolls, if after a few seconds, they lock into the position they are so they become a static part of the battlefeild.

Omg this skeletor...Go away and play your ragdoll FPS games, Ofp and it's sequels is not for you! Ragdoll would be so goddamn laggy, try AA for example. If many guys dies at the same time the fps drop is huge, death animations are cool.

dude if you have a personal problem with my desire to see Armed Assault become the best game possible take it to PM - the public doesnt need to read you making personal attacks on a user that you have carried over from previous threads - a complete disregard of forum etiquette

its clear I want different things out of this game than you do but that is no excuse of such trollish behaviour

Quote[/b] ]Well, most people (me included), dont want the game to become "mainstream", OFP was very hard and alot of people were turned of by the graphics, and ofcourse they are welcome to play ArmA, we dont want ArmA to be made for "them" tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

EDIT: didnt come out right, oh well, what i ment was:

We dont want the game more atractive, because if it becomes that, it wont be the same game anymore.

(still sounds crappy, im going to bed crazy_o.gif )

for me an indie product going mainstream is the ultimate compliment to its designers - it means that they have made something excellent, something that has something very everyone as well as its core audience

besides the more success that Arma has - the better Game 2 will be - greater success and larger finance is the lifeblod of any venture