Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

American Civil War Mod v.1.2 released.

We'll I've been experimenting lately with Trigs units.

Trying to see if I could squeeze out a couple of more units

in a mission by adding more lods and less textures, etc.

Fact is...... the units Trig made are fine and in fact very good.

The experiment is done.

That's exactly what i have been telling all along.

During the early stages of this mod i ran extensiv tests in comparison to BIS and several others and posted the results.

For some reason everybody believed that only more LODS make for better performance, that's clearly not so.

One of those reasons were the ridiculous statements that a certain individual posted over and over again without ever proving anything.

Nice to hear that Trig did ok after all.

Oh, one other thing.

There have been countless posts about the accuracy of our muskets.

After a year of training with more then 2000 shots fired from a caliber .58 Enfield i tell you that every single weapon we created is still much too accurate.

Hitting a soccer ball size target at 100 yards is a challenge.

Standing up, that is, from a prone position its fairly easy to do.

Have fun and godspeed

Pickett

just perusing and omg what are you on about picket? lol

Who would ever think that 'only' making more lods increases system performance of ofp with more units?

Lods are a vital element of making units run better in ofp, 'anyone' with experience of making decent units will know this, but they will also know that lods alone don't make units run fast.

Cwmod (or its older incarnations) had many reasons for lower performance, one of them was lods *shrugs*.

Truth is performance can vary enormously anyway depending on what people are doing with units, I mean cwmod can run really fine if ur not going crazy putting loads of 'different' units out there in the same mission etc *shrugs*

Any criticism made before (from folks obviously experiencing a lag issue) is not ridiculous picket... lol

Lods are a vital element of making units run better in ofp, 'anyone' with experience of making decent units will know this, but they will also know that lods alone don't make units run fast.

What are you going on about Gavin?

The experiment was to add more units to missions ...not make them run faster...lol

Quote[/b] ]Cwmod (or its older incarnations) had many reasons for lower performance, one of them was lods *shrugs*.

CWmod units Have been proven to work just fine and are in fact very good.

We'll have to work within the limitations of the engine for now till AA comes out.

stonewall

What are you going on about Gavin?

The experiment was to add more units to missions ...not make them run faster...lol

I think he meant in terms of improving frames per second ingame by reducing the lag they cause by having them in greater numbers, not move faster...

Quote[/b] ]Cwmod (or its older incarnations) had many reasons for lower performance, one of them was lods *shrugs*.

CWmod units Have been proven to work just fine and are in fact very good.

We'll have to work within the limitations of the engine for now till AA comes out.

Sorry to say, as we use a number of models from CW mod I opened a large number of the models that were in the first Cwmod release, and they were just a mess (lodwise). Either there were no lods or just 1 or 2. That has nothing to do with the engine limitations, but more I guess with time constraints and the wish to release something before ArmA.

I had to make countless lods for the HDV Alpha release. Releasing something without proper lods, even as a demo/showcase, doesn't do a mods image any good (generally speaking). "Alpha" does not mean you can leave stuff out "just to have a release out".

Quote[/b] ]Sorry to say, as we use a number of models from CW mod I opened a large number of the models that were in the first Cwmod release, and they were just a mess (lodwise). Either there were no lods or just 1 or 2. That has nothing to do with the engine limitations, but more I guess with time constraints and the wish to release something before ArmA.

There's no doubt that adding more lods etc helps the FPS but with the release of ver1.2 I think Trig and Co have accomplished that very well. On an average...each unit has 3 Res lods. I think ProfT says he has an average 5.

Not sure how many you folks have. I used an average of 5 In my tests and was'nt getting much more FPS than Trigs units. Go with more? I'm not sure .......I think 3-5 is a good number.

@Jackal.......Yes I know what he meant.

As I stated before the CWmod Units are fine.

stonewall

Well im just glad you edited your comical post and ridiculous assertation jackson before you started a stupid flame war...

Not sure how many you folks have.

We use 5 mostly, but I'm still not entirely sure what lodvalues to use for optimal performance, so that is something that could be improved I guess confused_o.gif

Well im just glad you edited your comical post and ridiculous assertation jackson before you started a stupid flame war...

Thats because JDB actually was trying to state a valid point, were your post was just an attempt to be an ass to a member of the mod who had contributed alot of time to making this mod what it is today. Tell you what ......

go back to the House Divided Mod Forum.

stonewall

Tell you what stonewall jackson, its pretty easy to be offensive and then just edit ur post to hide it... thats what u did...

My post about lods was offensive? Yeah try QUOTING the line i said where im offensive?!?

So tell you what punk... why don't u take a break from being an over defensive little fanboy...

just perusing and omg what are you on about picket? lol

Any criticism made before (from folks obviously experiencing a lag issue) is not ridiculous picket... lol

I did'nt say offensive I said an "ass" so that must have been you he was talking about in his post.....figures.

so now ...........piss off you idiot.

go make some maps for your mod, or some fences or maybe a bridge or something and we'll see you in a year or two.

pistols.gif

stonewall

crazy_o.gif

I think that "old style" mods (this, HD, Pirates, mine, etc.) do not have as many fans as "modern" ones despite their creativeness, mainly due to the lack of historical background and interest of Ofp players.

The only smart way is to benefit from each other work, so that as a whole these few mods can make significant progress, which means a peaceful and respectful cooperation.

A conflict between these mods is simply ridiculous.

goodnight.gif

Stop the childish bickering please, otherwise to avoid having to waste unnecessary time on mod members who don't deserve that time I will simply close both mod threads and neither mod will have a voice on the forum, fair? No. But then having to waste time because of such childish behaviour is I think also quite unfair.

If members from different mods cannot communicate maturely and civilly I suggest you stick to your own threads and avoid each other.

Ya well thanks Placebo,

I'm just gonna ignore this provocation from whoever u are jacko...

Also Prof T im interested in discussing a possible arrangement to ease your suffering in lod development if you get a chance to talk wink_o.gif

Sorry to say, as we use a number of models from CW mod

...which BTW I have never allowed the use of, especially not to Gavin who has done practically NOTHING to help CWMOD, and A LOT to obstruct it (8 month delay of release due to his empty promisses of contributions, causing trouble on forum all along, even now...), and eventually stealing 90% of CWMOD's specific traits to build his mod around it...

Stop the childish bickering please, otherwise to avoid having to waste unnecessary time on mod members who don't deserve that time I will simply close both mod threads and neither mod will have a voice on the forum, fair? No.

I'd consider it fair if the forum moderators would in fact help protect intellectual property of mod members, by helping protect the integrity of original mod-makers against those who use manipulation, extortion and outright theft of original ideas to make a name for themselves.

If you saw any of the arguments while CWMOD was still in development you'd know that I had countless battles with Gavin before he ever anounced he'll make House Divided. He forced himself onto the team, after countless letdowns. He extorted to "sink and bury" by releasing one of his own, if we don't let him lead it. So I eventually gave in and resigned as mod leader, but as Gavin revolted all the other mod members, they called me out of retirement, asked Gavin to leave, and with help of several contributors we released CWMOD v.1.2, which DID NOT HAVE ANY CONTRIBUTIONS FROM GAVIN!

Only after that was House Divided anounced, and recently released. Open any of the files in the released Alpha and compare them with CWMOD v.1.2 and you will see yourself that they use practically the entire CWMOD system, slightly updated with a few changes, some new models and some new textures!

I have kept quiet about this till now, but several upset emails of users who were revolted once again by Gavin's practices made me write this.

If voicing a loud protest against such disrespect of other modders as Gavin has shown in his entire modding career (I have also received several mails from some WW2 mods Gavin has made life difficult for), is grounds for closing a thread, then close it. I gave up on OFP modding mainly because of the bad experience with Gavin, as did Pickett and some others...

As you also PM'd me I shall paste the same reply here:

We simply do not have time to become involved in internal mod politics, if there is an issue of addon theft report it with proof and the person/mod who stole the content will have their thread closed until the issue is resolved.

This thread is for discussing this mod and only this mod, all other subjects are not relevant, failure to stay on topic can result in a poster being banned or the thread being closed.

Gavinthecat as your comments and presence in this thread seem to only lead to arguments and flaming and other such things, it seems to me the simplest solution is that you avoid this thread, then nobody has to run the risk of breaking forum rules and being banned.

My understanding is that you're not part of the mod and the mod takes issue with your involvement in this thread so please refrain from posting in it, if you have your own mod then you can post in your own thread.

I opened a large number of the models that were in the first Cwmod release, and they were just a mess (lodwise). Either there were no lods or just 1 or 2. That has nothing to do with the engine limitations, but more I guess with time constraints and the wish to release something before ArmA.

I had to make countless lods for the HDV Alpha release. Releasing something without proper lods, even as a demo/showcase, doesn't do a mods image any good (generally speaking). "Alpha" does not mean you can leave stuff out "just to have a release out".

Let me answer this in more detail.

1. CWMOD release 1.0 had only 1 or 2 lods, true. But it was released 2 years ago, so not in a rush to catch ArmA.

At that time I simply did not know enough about the importance of lods, so I only had the high detail model for up close, and the slightly less detail model for all other distances. The release was quite playable, but many issues and bugs were still there. Lag was one of them, everyone agreed, and we worked on fixing this for second release.

2. CWMOD release 1.2 was released nearly a year later, much optimized. Much attention was paid to optimizing models, polycounts, texture sizes and better lods. Even some scripts were dropped or enhanced to increase performance. When work was completed, tests were made to see how these compare with BIS models, and the results were very favourable, which was obviously also confirmed by Stonewall's latest testing.

In the interests of peace & love and all that jazz, ill answer your 'issues' in my own thread Triglav, oh and feel free to resume your retirement.

In the interests of peace & love and all that jazz, ill answer your 'issues' in my own thread Triglav, oh and feel free to resume your retirement.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....y926190

I believe more than enough people have so far voiced their opinion of Gavin and his practices, that I don't need to address the bullshit in his post anymore.

Anyone can download "his" alpha release, anyone can compare it with CWMOD which was released a year earlier and make his own conclusions.

And yes, I am resuming my retirement from modding (but not from writing if it's my fancy to write).

You cannot compare a Alpha and a 1.2, one is actully finished and the other isn't. But I digress, i really like both mods, and it is stupid to bicker.

Quote[/b] ]

Ya well thanks Placebo,

I'm just gonna ignore this provocation from whoever u are jacko...

I am "Stonewall Jackson" formally known as "Bigus_Dikus"

and your using my...map.....fences.....and ..bridge.

for my bullrun map,

stonewall