Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

American Civil War Mod v.1.2 released.

Hmm nice ships dikus ! trying 'em right now. wow_o.gif

Btw , I've seen a server which runs CWMod so if some 1 could give me the IP address of this server.

Thanks.

Btw , I've seen a server which runs CWMod so if some 1 could give me the IP address of this server.

If you saw a server which runs CWMod, then doesn't it make more sense to load the mod and join that server instead of typing in the IP address...? confused_o.gif

Oh my, the server was for CWW mod not for CWmod... banghead.gif

So there isn't any servers that would run CWmod?

So far I've seen only 1 SP mission for CWmod , made by Militia Sniper

so there isnt any other sp missions / campaigns for Civil War Mod?

confused_o.gif

@ Snuffy...... check back a couple of pages and you will

find some missions .

Here is the campaign......

The Campaign

Bigus_dikus is now known as Stonewall Jackson.... I'm surprised no one took this nik.

stonewall .....formally known as bigus

Howdy!

I remember when people complained about the CWMOD pistol anims being - although much better than the vanilla OFP:R ones - "too formal" and stuff, thus not looking very good for civilians and rebel officers. So I went ahead and edited 'em a bit to match my own liking.

Without further speaking, some pictures:

picture01fv6.jpg

picture02id5.jpg

DOWNLOAD at rapidshare.de which we all love, mirrors appreciated

I see you changed your name from Bigus_dikus to Stonewall Jackson. Now what will Caesar say now? Stonewall Jackson an't funny. LOL

Ya but the nic was getting old. It was from the days I was playing Age Of Empires online. Now I've been playing Take Command Bull Run and Second Mannasas so I figured a change was in order. I still have an account under bigus however and might pull the nic outta the hat later. icon_rolleyes.gif

stonewall

Hi there! FIrst of all i want to say DAMN this is a cool mod biggrin_o.gif but i got a problem and thats when i try to load the Gettysburg campaign, it gets an error that says that "CWconf" is missing and i can understand that bevouse i cant find it either so can anyone please tell me were i can find this missing .pbo file?

the mod is still using old BIS faceS? whistle.gif

Not everyone likes the alternatives on offer. I for one am glad they're "still" using BIS faces as it means I don't need to download 75 different versions of facetex.pbo and its variants.

Hi there! FIrst of all i want to say DAMN this is a cool mod biggrin_o.gif but i got a problem and thats when i try to load the Gettysburg campaign, it gets an error that says that "CWconf" is missing and i can understand that bevouse i cant find it either so can anyone please tell me were i can find this missing .pbo file?

It's there but the campaign was made for the 1.1 version of the mod hence the odd error message.

If your into such things .....you can add this line in the mission.sqm file

"CWConf",

too the addons  section which is usually the first statements of the sqm file. add this line somewhere in the middle of the rest of the adddons.

you can usually fix most error messages this way.

CWConf.pbo should be in your CWmod folder under addons.

if it not then you've likley installed the mod wrong.

I believe you can still play the Campaign with these error messages but hav'nt checked that out yet.

stonewall

the mod is still using old BIS faceS? whistle.gif

Not everyone likes the alternatives on offer. I for one am glad they're "still" using BIS faces as it means I don't need to download 75 different versions of facetex.pbo and its variants.

Aye, plus that one can choose the face they can use, which those new cool custom head models don't offer, they just randomise you one. Which is bad, when playing, say, Unsung, if I want to play a black staff sergeant who's been incountry for a while then I want to have the face of one, not a white FNG.

I think The idea now is to have less detail in the infantry models. And say maybe 8-10 lods per model. not sure if this would work but I think that I'll try it out. Maybe we can have say 200 troops per side which would be good.  Not sure if It's worth it, has anyone tried?

stonewall

I am still working on my missions and I have come up with working on some troops for the South and the north by request when I have more time, I was asked to make a bunch of Black troops for both sides and doing some research because the South did have some black officers.

8-10 resolution lods with each time a small difference between the current one and it's predecessor takes up more space, while at long distances you won't be able to notice the difference between a 32 poly soldier and an 8 poly soldier anyway. The further you get the less lods you need. Example:

Soldiermodel-

Lod #1: 2000 poly's (nice and detailed, used for when really up close and personal

Lod #2: 1500 (good detail, for units in the same squad)

Lod #3: 900 (for units in the vacinity of yours truelly)

Lod #4: 450 (for rear guard units, advancing enemy within range (say 50-100m))

Lod #5: 64 (for units out of engagement range of rifles)

Lod #6: 8 (for units at the horizon)

Try to do a 50% decrease in poly's or more between each lod, it may not always be the best thing to do (that is why my example is not cutting down polycounts by 50% all the time) but it helps. If you are really trying to get massive armies onto the battlefield, then you should switch to 64 poly and 8 poly units earlier (closer). At 200 meters no one will notice the difference.

Edit: typo

Of course lods and decreasing textures sizes do matter (i think 5 lods is a good standard), but performance takes into account how many units are doing things, particularly fighting or moving. I've made some times ago some very simples units (less than 100 vertices and 80 faces, with small textures) : lag appears when more than 200/250 of these simple units are fighting together...the same as with my standard Napoleonic units with 5 lods, which do not use any scripts for close combat as you know.

A good try is to create "units with no brain" on a battlefield through the "createvehicle" command. You can create almost as many units as you want with no major lag, if the units have correct lods and textures. The "brain" - ie AI handling - and the scripts are creating major lags in this game because of all the calculations caused by aiming, moving etc..

If you wanna use a lot of units on a map in a mission, you must try to avoid that more than 150/200 units are fighting or moving. You can use "reinforcements" triggers, dostop command, disableAI "target" etc...

Try to do a 50% decrease in poly's or more between each lod, it may not always be the best thing to do (that is why my example is not cutting down polycounts by 50% all the time) but it helps. If you are really trying to get massive armies onto the battlefield, then you should switch to 64 poly and 8 poly units earlier (closer). At 200 meters no one will notice the difference.

Thats what I'd like to do. Since at say 2-300 + yards you really

don't have to have all that much detail. I've added more lods to 2 units now and am getting 120-150 men with very little lag.

I still have not redone the textures though and maybe I can redo some textures and bump it up to say 200+ men.

@profT ..... few vertices and faces  as well as plain textures is what I'll try. I'm gunna try it over the next few weeks and see what happens.

stonewall

I am still working on my missions and I have come up with working on some troops for the South and the north by request when I have more time, I was asked to make a bunch of Black troops for both sides and doing some research because the South did have some black officers.

Black officers? Wow, that's something new to me. I know about them having black troops, but never heard of black officers for the South. AFAIK even the Northern black regiments had white officers.

Black officers? Wow, that's something new to me. I know about them having black troops, but never heard of black officers for the South. AFAIK even the Northern black regiments had white officers.

Me neither... in the CSA army at least confused_o.gif

There were black Union Officers though, the first commisioned black officer ever in the US army was a major commisioned in 1862 IIRC.

Article about a black officer in the Union army (and in actual command)

Here is alittle history they don't teach in school.

Why would blacks support, and possibly want to fight for, the Confederacy?  One is money.  The pay rate for the laborers was greater than that of the white soldier’s pay rate.  The black laborers were paid 30 dollars a month while the Confederate soldiers made only 11 dollars.  

The 1st Louisiana Regiment of Native Guards was a military unit composed of free black men. They were organized in 1861 and early 1862.

First Louisiana Native Guards was organized with Lieutenant Colonel Bassett in command and with all other officers colored. The regiment fought with courage and distinction at Port Hudson.

There were also 60 free blacks in Virginia who formed their own company and marched to Richmond to volunteer their services to help in the war effort.

On December 22, 1861, 700 armed Black graycoats attacked New York soldiers near New Market Bridge, VA; on February 9, 1862, 3,000 well-trained Black graycoats formed the '1st Native Guard' and the State of Tennessee became the first southern state to legislate the use of free Blacks as soldiers in June, 1861, and authorized the same rate of pay as for Whites

A black Confederate was a non-commissioned officer. James Washington, Co. D 34th Texas Cavalry, “Terrell’s Texas Cavalry†became it’s 3rd Sergeant. In comparison, The highest ranking Black Union soldier during the war was a Sergeant Major.

The New Orleans regiment referred to may have been that which began with the May 12, 1861 proclamation of Louisiana Governor Thomas O. Moore. The proclamation called for the enrollment of blacks to form an all-black regiment with black officers for the defense of New Orleans. By early 1862, over 3,000 men had joined this regiment, and other black units had been formed as well.

Free black musicians, cooks, soldiers and teamsters earned the same pay as white confederate privates. This was not the case in the Union army where blacks did not receive equal pay. At the Confederate Buffalo Forge in Rockbridge County, Virginia, skilled black workers "earned on average three times the wages of white Confederate soldiers and more than most Confederate army officers ($350- $600 a year).

Quote[/b] ]Here is alittle history they don't teach in school.

They don't teach us anything on the American Civil War in Holland, but I did do a presentation on it, with special intention on the cause of the war, and not the actual fighting (dates and places bore people fairly quickly).

A great book covering the entire pre-war era from about 1850 and war era (uptil a reunion of veterans in the 20th century) is

The American Heritage

New History of The Civil War

by Bruce Catton

Over 600 pages, and the only non-dutch book I have, I have only seen one Dutch book about this subject and it was very thin. For good books on some matters you just have to be lucky and hit the one good bookstore in the entire city inlove.gif

Very good to get an idea of how deep this conflict was/is rooted in the American culture and how much it has affected the way Americans view the world.

Edit: the book lists the first black staff officer as being Martin R. Delany, mustered at the rank of Major on February 26th 1865. He never commanded troops in the field.

We'll I've been experimenting lately with Trigs units.

Trying to see if I could squeeze out a couple of more units

in a mission by adding more lods and less textures, etc.

Fact is...... the units Trig made are fine and in fact very good.

The experiment is done.

back to other things .....

Hampton roads mission is almost done , but you'll have to download

the new updates to the Virginia which I'll post in a day or so. Plus the

MP version of the "Virginia" which no one has requested but We've been

using and have tried to make as playable as possible.

Petersburg map is almost done but still lags with all the entenchments.

stonewall