Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

American Civil War Mod v.1.2 released.

You kidding?

I'm 40 and finally my kids are old enough to beat me sometimes. I also use them to test my missions: very handy.

Happy Birthday!

--Ben

...I'm 40 and finally my kids are old enough to beat me sometimes...

As long as you don't beat them back...you can be arrested for that you know! wink_o.gif

hey everyone

Um...I posted a little while ago about ammo script problems in MP (i think...that may have been in the revolutionary war mod) but anyways, I just got back from Gettysburg, PA and its just a great battefield to actually go and see- theres plenty of monuments and things to show you around the place and how things must have been like. But I came home and wanted to do a 2v2 on the CWMod against a friend so we started up the LAN and i remember the mod not working right when i created a mission and so we used one of the ones in your MP-Pack, of course the gettysburg one. Everything seemed to be working completley fine but the other human players either dont move at all, or move sparatically- sorta like a lag thing. I tried this on both client and dedicated servers. Is there something im doing wrong? Both machines are identical P4 3 GHZ with 500 MB of ram, 128Mb Gfx cards (ATI's- although I dont really see any of this being relevant...). What is wrong with all of this- it seems like you were able to get together Internet games successfully?

I have CWMod 1.2 and OFP up to 1.96 on both and of course the MP missions. Is there any common things i could be doing wrong that would cause problems? Please let me know soon- I really enjoy this mod and this lag or whatever it is is really killing the fun. Thank you

-DiEman

Umm not sure.

what mission were you playing?

Tsal and I have tested a couple of my gettysburg missions

and the only lag we saw was on Seminary and that was

because I added the horses to the mission. Seems they cause some lag...... but not that serious that we could'nt play. Do you have the updated mission pack? If not then wait a couple days cause I'm gunna update 3 missions from that pack plus an update to the bullrun mission I just made cause of the horses.

bigus

Hi guys!

I have a problem that i can't kill anyone with my poor rifle. I know you wanted to make it historicaly accurate, but i have to take 4-5 shots average to kill a stationary man just 30 meters away! It would be somewhat understandable if it wasn't easier to kill that same man with a pistol (that remington one). Now i know that you wanted historical accuracy, but i don't think those rifles were that inaccurate, and at the same time, i can kill a man 50-60 yards away much easier when riding a horse(?!wink_o.gif. This way, i am just a observer in SP missions, watching AI kill eachother to extinction. I wonder if that has anything do to with me/my OFP. Everything else works fine.

Great mod BTW yay.gif

Where do you aim?

The bullets have a fairly realistic (and thus fairly pronounced) flight path, meaning you'll have to aim quite low for close-to-medium-range targets, then gradually aim higher and higher as the target is further and further away.. at 10m or less, you can aim straight on, beyond that, you have to adjust...

50m-knees, 100m-chest, 150m-head is somewhat workable, but if you really want to get to know your weapon, be sure (as a squad leader) to always have the "assign target" mode active while aiming... thus, when aiming, you'll see the exact distance and after a while and some experimenting, you'll not only know where to aim exactly, but also be a good judge of the distance to the target without this artificial help (judging distance isn't all that easy, due to the zoom while aiming).

Personally, I think that the rifled muskets are way too accurate in a player's hand, while the AI for some reason does badly with them at best...

Hi guys!

I have a problem that i can't kill anyone with my poor rifle. I know you wanted to make it historicaly accurate, but i have to take 4-5 shots average to kill a stationary man just 30 meters away! It would be somewhat understandable if it wasn't easier to kill that same man with a pistol (that remington one). Now i know that you wanted historical accuracy, but i don't think those rifles were that inaccurate, and at the same time, i can kill a man 50-60 yards away much easier when riding a horse(?!wink_o.gif. This way, i am just a observer in SP missions, watching AI kill eachother to extinction. I wonder if that has anything do to with me/my OFP. Everything else works fine.

Great mod BTW yay.gif

Well,

as you probably don't know, making those guns for OFP got me so interested that i took up blackpowder shooting even before i retired from the mod.

Believe me, those muskets are as accurate as their real life counterparts.

I went through several pounds of powder before i was able to hit a 10 inch target at 50 yards, not to mention the same target at 100 yards.

Hard to hit, even lying prone in a marksmans position, the belt around the upper left arm.

Back then, only several men firing a volley could hope to hit anything but air at the average fighting distance of 60 to 80 yards.

After all: Its just a game ! Enjoy the mod.

Godspeed

Here are some updates to some MP missions.

Seminary and sherman the horses were removed to reduce lag.

Prelude has been totally redone and moved to the location I originally intended it to be which was around McPherson farm.

the scoring in prelude and bullrun have been changed to capture all flags instead of a scoring system. In Both prelude and bullrun you can now deploy 11 artillery units with a crew of 1. you cannot redeploy them once there created though.

(A 6 and 5 split in bullrun between officers since there are two officers.)

The AI will also deploy artillery!.

My intention in prelude and bullrun was to reduce lag as much as possible by eliminating or redoing many looping scripts and going back to the normal bis line and column formations.

let me know how it goes if you try them out.

MP mission update

bigus

Hey bigus_dikus!

Took me a while to ckeck out your new missions - you did a good job with prelude and bullrun - they run pretty smooth although I still have the problem with the multiple addaction commands...is there no way to fix that problem? I was wonderin how you worked out the movement of the troops without setting waypoints (it's the first mission I've seen so far that has no waypoints and still the fellow and enemy troops move around the map)! The only thing I would like to see added is another squad under your control (maybe an option prior to beginning where you are able to choose how many squads you are able to control would do the trick?).

Another thing I haven't been able to figure out: is it possible to assign another flagbearer? I thought it should work like you assign weapons, but somehow it doesn't work with flags.

Yours,

Longstreet

@ addactions.......Ya You have to download this weapon pack for the enfield and the musket. this should get rid of the multiple addactions. Plus it brings back the old bayonet attacks but with the new animations. Basically you dont have the enemy running by you anymore without a poke of the bayonet.

Weapons

@ AI.......I used named markers and a script and if the Squad is not controlled by the player they will move there.

Basically _way1=getpos marker1 then Named Unit move to the marker as long as leader is'nt the player.

I can send you the script I've made if you like.

@Squads..... Ya the new bullrun2 mission has 5 squads aside.

I had 10 per side but it started to lag a wee bit. I can add some routine to pick how many squads a player will have during a mission similar to tsal's but missions are on hold till I finish the "C.S.S Virginia" which will be coming up in 1-2 weeks.

@flagbearer.... The only thing I can think of off hand is to

make the last or 12'th unit a flagbearer when rally'ing your men at the wagons. I'll keep it in mind and try it out when the boat is finished.

Here is an update to the updated missions. Seems the sherman mission got screwed up somehow. Plus a new mission BullRun2.

which has 5 squads apiece.

update of the update with new mission.

hope you enjoyed the missions.

bigus

A little something I've been working on.......

the model as always isn't the best.

virginia.jpg

and some more work still has to be done.........

virginia2.jpg

bigus

Ooooo. Looks very nice, but didn't it have iron plating ont he outside, not wood:

section.gif

ironnum022JPsm.jpg

missions are good, bigus, but prelude also could do with more combattants - and please, don't add more useless flag bearers... all they're good for is either having them pick up guns of fallen soldiers/man cannons, or send them running behind the enemy as distraction... both of which I can do as well with a normal soldier, but that guy is otherwise also quite useful compared to the flag bearer. wink_o.gif

'Ey.

The ship looks good bigus, of course if it has iron planting, it'd be better with some. Still good.

jackx: Flag bearers rock! Them, drummers and buglers are a very important part of the immersion IMNSHO. I always put one per group in my missions - sure not realistic but looks damn good!

I wasn't asking for them to be removed, since I'm well aware that they add a lot to the immersion, but just not to increase their amount when adding another group of infantry. 1-2 Officers, 1 flag bearer and 0-1 drummer are really enough if all you have is 40-50 men per side wink_o.gif

Of course you could also pretend that it's not 1:1 scale, but for me being able to have comparatively large (compared to other FPS games) engagements at 1:1 scale is the main appeal of OFP.

@Trig....Ya  the model still has to be textured and the geo lods have to be done as well . I am more interested in having all guns manned and firing right now which is coming along well.

I've also got more work on the model. I chose the wood texture for now cause it was handy at the time and looked better. Again the mission now is to get all guns working.

@Jackx.......I think that the script if I write one would check to see if there is a flagbearer already in the squad so their would only be one per squad max..... My version of Prelude has 6 squads per side but I chose 3 squads because I figured it would run on most computers without major lag and 2 squads are easier to control.

bigus

Well I use the "Follow.sqs" script to have flagbearers just follow your squads, it works really nice, because that way the colorparty is just running after you and you don't have to reduce the amount of "effective" soldiers in your group.

The question I had earlier was if it is possible to have other soldier models use flags (like when you have a squad of Zoave soldiers - it would look much nicer to have a guy in a Zoave uniform carry the flag than having someone in another uniform) - isn't there a way to add a flag to a soldiermodel of you choice like you can do with the weapons? F.e. I already tried: this addweapon "flagUS" but it doesn't do the trick.

Any ideas?

Longstreet

Longstreet, do you want the fine waving flags or the old "weapon" flags? The weapons are just... well, weapons so I guess you could just add them with this addweapon, no idea of the classname though. Could check but someone propably knows it already and I'm too lazy.

As for the waving flags, you propably can't get them on other units like they are on the flagbearers, as they use a custom flag proxy. You can, though, try this:

1. Make a flag and assign it the texture (flag) you wish, name it, say, flag1 (duh)

2. Make the unit you want to give the flag, say, a Union Zouave. Let's name him Yank1.

3. Put in the init field of the flag "flag1 setFlagOwner yank1

After a few seconds (the time it takes to hiss down the flag from it's pole) after the game has started a flag should appear on the unit if it has a flag proxy. I'm afraid, though, that the units either don't have one or it's the default one, which will give a smaller flag in the soldier's back.

A little something I've been working on.......

the model as always isn't the best.

http://members.shaw.ca/civilwar/images/virginia.jpg

and some more work still has to be done.........

http://members.shaw.ca/civilwar/images/virginia2.jpg

bigus

Looks good. But the lighting seems to be a bit screwed up, can be easily fixed. Just play around a bit with sharp and smooth edges and recalculate normals.

Yep, dynamite_cow is right, flagbearer has a specific proxy flag attached to a "pole" included in the flagbearer's p3d model. So only flagbearer units can have a waving flag. You cannot make a waving flag beeing a weapon, so that's the way i made them. But you're right again, flags can always be attached to flag owners as usual through setflagowner command.

So, as you're right, i dunno why i'm posting something...maybe because i cannot stop myself from doing it... rofl.gif

@Trig....Ya the model still has to be textured and the geo lods have to be done as well . I am more interested in having all guns manned and firing right now which is coming along well.

I've also got more work on the model. I chose the wood texture for now cause it was handy at the time and looked better. Again the mission now is to get all guns working.

So...

How do you intend to do the magic of having all guns working?

And LOL @ ProfT's inability to stop rofl.gif

So...

How do you intend to do the magic of having all guns working?

Well if you must know .........I'm using the cargo...... carrier script Used by ProfT and his ships . So far I have 8 attached guns configed for the boat. They all fire and so far everything seems to work fine. I did have to reconfigure the Armstrong to fire every 10 seconds though.

bigus

bigus_dikus  that ship is sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad I can't get Fort Wager to work but I still trying its too good not to. banghead.gif

We went on vacation to the badlands and from the pipestone all the way to Little Bighorn Battlefield and here are some pictures.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/tsalagikola/Vacation%202006/  

All you have to do is go to the website and click on the places in blue and then you can see the pictures.

There are about 328 pictures right now.  You can see numbers at the bottom on the right side some have more than 1 page of pictures.

And if you wan to see my {toys} click here its just pictures of my M4A3 and my M24 build.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/tsalagikola/

I could'nt quite get a pic of all guns firing at once but here is a pic of the ship firing on the monitor. Plus a little tweek here and there on the model and textures. Not all guns were added for this test btw.

shot2.jpg

shot1.jpg

bigus