Sign in to follow this  
combat-agent

Laptop + Flashpoint = good stuff?

Im considering getting a laptop. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on one that would work particularly well with ofp. I know lap tops primary use isnt games, but there not exactly not used for games either. So, got any recemendations?

Thanks

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 2650 for OFP, 2.0 GHz, 512 mb RAM, and ~38 gig hard drive. It runs OFP well, the only time I experience lag is on a highly detailed island (some of the VTE islands, for example), or when running a large mission (Abandoned Armies, but even that doesn't lag too bad, and only when a lot is going on). My only gripe with this laptop is the battery life is low. I'm lucky to get an hour and a half out of the battery. Considering my laptop is a year or two old, I would imagine a newer one would run OFP even better. Dell doesn't make the 2650 anymore, but I think the basic XPS M140 or an upgraded Inspiron 600m are somewhat comparable to it.

-Pilot

Been using my laptop with OFP for over a year. My laptop is from www.meshcomputers.co.uk, it has a P4 3.2GHz Prescott, 512MB PC3200 ram, 128MB ATI Radeon M11 (9700), 60GB 7200rpm which was an upgrade from the 60GB 4200rpm which cost me with all the other bits and bobs for just under Å1400 inc VAT + del.

Playing CTF maps, usually get 30 - 100fps depending on the map bearing in mind its also 17" Widescreen with res of 1440x900. So yeh, it works well for me. Depends on your budget really, u could get the same spec as mine now for about Å1000.

Get one of the new COMPAQ or HP laptops with the best AMD64 you can get. They will likely be better than your PC!

Unless you move around alot, I'd recommend a Desktop. I think those gaming laptops are overpriced, for the amount of money it costs for an average one you can get a s**t fast desktop

I just bought the Dell XPS2 M170 just a month ago. It has the Nvidia 7800GTX. It can play any game out today with all setting maxed without any problems. But it does cost a good bit. I paid $2100 US dollars for my baby.

My laptop will surpass most all desktops out there in speed and performance. nener.gif

I appreciate all the replies. I will definetly look into all of them. My  limit is probably 2k, so imagine i could get a decent one.

Quote[/b] ]I just bought the Dell XPS2 M170 just a month ago. It has the Nvidia 7800GTX. It can play any game out today with all setting maxed without any problems. But it does cost a good bit. I paid $2100 US dollars for my baby.

My laptop will surpass most all desktops out there in speed and performance.  

Been keepin an eye on that one.

Battery life is also a big consideration im putting into my decision. I dont fly that much, and im not even sure you can use laptops on airlines. When im traveling in a car, i can plug it in. But at school is the biggy.

I already have a half way decent desk top. Im getting a laptop because you can never have to many computer( enless there isnt enoughroom), i want something to do while traveling, and im going 11B US Army, so if theires time, Ive heard there a good thing to have down range.

Thanks

CA

Quote[/b] ]I dont fly that much, and im not even sure you can use laptops on airlines.

Laptops, at least in America, are approved for use during flight. However, they must be shut off for taxi, takeoff, and landing.

-Pilot

I only have a laptop and am using it a lot like a normal desktop PC for playing OFP, bittorrent and other stuff but also for other more mobile tasks in uni. One of the big advantages is that you don't have too much to carry when going to a LAN game, you can easily take it with you when on holiday or travelling somewhere and it doesn't use the space of a big desktop PC (quite important for poor students living on 15-20mË›).

I bought it in January, paid 1350 € for it and OFP and other games like HL2 or BF2 run very good on it.

Here are the specs:

Cebop Top 900

P-M 745 1.8Ghz

1024MB Samsung PC2700

Mobility Radeon 9700 256MB

80GB Fujitsu

15.4" WXGA

I can only recommend to get a Laptop.

I have both an old desktop (AMD AthlonXP 2800, Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 128mb, 1GB ram) and a notebook (FSC Amilo A1630: AMD64 Mobile 3700, Radeon 9700 Mobile w/ 128mb, 1GB ram) and while the latter is ok for gaming it is build more for energy efficiency and gets way too hot for my taste when running at full load for too long. The specs may be better, and the cpu definitely eats my desktop for breakfast but I still prefer to use the desktop for gaming.

I wouldn't waste my money on one of those special 'gaming notebooks' - you can easily get a decent gaming desktop and a good notebook (good enough for serious work and older games) for the price of one of those. Also it's always easier (and cheaper) to upgrade a desktop once a new generation of games comes out. The notebook you'd have to replace completely or live with the fact that your 3000 US$/€ machine is only average again after half a year or so (in which case a cheaper notebook would have been as good anyways).

A notebook is only a sensible choice if you really need a mobile computer - like when you travel a lot and need to take it with you, when moving abroad, or living in a place where electricity often breaks down (i.e. California, Central Africa, Iraq...).

If going all the way with the notebook is what you desire I can only recommand Sager 5720-V.A freind of mine took a gamble ordering it all the way to Romania(it would take 250$ to send it back for repairs) and is completly satisfied.I am blown away by it`s power that dwarfs my prety decent desktop in comparison.

Display:17 inch glossy 1920x1200

Pentium M 2.13 Ghz

2 Gigs of RAM

100 GB 7200 RPM SATA

GeForce Go 7800 GTX

Battery Power

1.5 h intense gaming

2-2.5 h web surfing etc.

Weight:4 kg

Price:2.500$

(PM me if you want to know from where he bought it)

--------------

It really is the ultimate desktop replacing notebook,others come close but they really are no match for this poorly advertised fantastic notebook.

I use my (now old) laptop for OFP probably more than my main computer. It works fine, except for the lack of buttons on the keyboard. Having only five buttons right of 'enter' is a pain for a game like this and in fact i find it impossible to zoom in and out on a map(not really a problem except in mission making, but i dont do that anymore..). Actually if anyone has any idea how to rebind the zoom in/out keys for the map/editor id appreciate it.

I've always been using the mousewheel for that as I don't use the touchpad (I hate that useless POS). An optical mouse works fine on all rough or non-uniform surfaces (trousers are just fine) and I always carry one with me when I take the notebook out.

I have an Acer Aspire 1672

- 3 Ghz processor

- ATI 9700 64 mb gfx

- 60 Gb HD

- 512 Mb Ram

Runs flashpoint pretty nicely and only cost me Å700 brand new

Does anybody here have experiance with the Dell Inspiron 9300? I am thinking of getting one...

Cheers

Me good ol HP Pavilion zv5000 with a 64bit Athlon and a basic Nvidia card does quite well for what it is. Im also using it to model and texture my projects... biggrin_o.gif

Well i just bought a Dell Inspiron 6000 M760 notebook smile_o.gif

Its 2.0 Ghz, 2mb Cache, 533 MHz FSB, 1gig DDR2 SDRAM ram, 128MB DDR ATI Mobility X300 video card and 15.2" 1920x1200 UXGA screen.

How do you think it will cope with OFP? OFP was not my main reason for deciding on the specs of this machine unfortunately...

Does anybody here have experiance with the Dell Inspiron 9300? I am thinking of getting one...

Cheers

yes I bought a Dell 9300 recently, and I like it.

It can handle OFP very well, just like all the more recent FPS's (FEAR demo, HL2, FarCry, Brothers in Arms, ...)

I went through all the "discount portables" (like Medion, Mediamarkt, Orion, ... , but they all had major limitations in configuration

the screen is very good (not like the near-mirror they put in Acer portables)

be careful: the 17'' screen makes the thing quite big (though not really heavy). I don't have to carry it around a lot, so that was no issue for me

I would vote against Fuijitsu Siemens notebooks, they all generate too much heat in the area where your hands rest

Anybody? I am nervous that it wont be usable...

The only thing that might let you down is the X300... should cope though as the rest of the spec seems really good.

Yeh, the spec sound fine.. Better than this PC acctually..

The only thing I'd suggest, well, very very strongly suggest if you get a laptop for gaming, or for anything really, BUY A USB MOUSE..

The touchpads are praticle for laptops, but are utterly useless if you use it for anything other than clicking a few icons..

As for laptops for gaming, their fine, infact, my laptop (Sony Viao, can't remeber specific name, but it's 1.8Ghz Pentium M, 512mb RAM and Mobile Geforce 6600) plays games far better than my PC (2.8Ghz P4, 1GB RAM, Geforce FX5600), F.E.A.R was unplayable (Demo atleast) on this, but on the laptop it's very smooth, apart from when saving.. Though it would be unplayable without my USB mouse tounge2.gif

- Ben

That desktop would outgame the laptop with just a video card swap tho.Fx5600 is weak

I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but i need some help regarding buying a laptop. I've looked at the suggestions, but they are abit over budget as I only really want to pay Å500 or less, however i would like it to be able to play OFP. It doesnt need to be really fast, and i think i have found a good laptop which is as good as this PC. It's alittle over budget as almost Å600 and its a Aspire 1644.

However, although it has more RAM, and as many Ghz, i'm not sure about the video card. On this PC i had to upgrade my video card as although everything else was great, the card was not, and worried this might happen with the Laptop also. It says it has a Intel 915GM Express, and it was the Intel i had on this PC and was crap (made OFP go funky colours and crash alot), so does anyone know if the Intel card for the Aspire laptop is any good and will play OFP ok?

Also, any other ideas for Å500 (or possibly Å600) laptops, or good places to search for a laptop? Like i say though, it doesnt need to be powerful as the main reason i am getting it would be to write/research, but i'd like it to be able to give me my fix of OFP.