Sign in to follow this  
guyguy1

Texture replacement or decals?

Does anybody know if ArmA will still have the texture replacement system used in OFP where a soldier got hit in a certain area and the textures on his model would be changed  or will ArmA be featuring damage decals where a unit takes a hit and shows blood spots where they took the projectiles? I was hoping for a detailed damage decal system like that of Ghost Recon in which you could see blood spots of various sizes from fragmentation and larger blood spots from rifles/SMGs/pistols (I can post some screenshots if you don't know what I'm talking about). It's kinda hard to tell if this is being featured from the screenshots and video so I'm not too sure about it. What do you guys think?

From what we've seen until now theres no true decals on soldiers. Theres an older pic from the press release (http://xn--kvrulanten-e6a.dk/arma.dk/images/photoalbum/64.jpg)

you see a soldier there in the background. It looks like the well known damage textures have been applied.

Same goes to the trailer, in the end you see some fighting, an explosion and afaik I thought there were also the good ol damage texture there.

We have to keep in mind that those were old AA pics and that it could have been changed, but I think they're leaving it just as it for AA. It'd be a nice improvement and it would have its benefits of course (visually, looks more realistic, better immersion, and also you see where you hit someone), but the old system did a pretty good job as well and BIS might spare that for Game2... After all there's still things that would be a much greater improvement for AA like dds and better AI for example. But who knows... icon_rolleyes.gif

Though Decals are more realistisc, thge way they are worked out often dissapoints.

How do I put it... w when you shoot somebody the blood isn't limited to a little hole, it gets blown out of the body too, it comes pouring out of the bullet wound, etc. Either way, after 10 seconds you're going to have the effect of the "texture replacement" either way.

Also, I find it much more immersive if somebody falls dead before me with half his head missing, so the accuracy of decals, but the feel of the texture replacement would be awesome smile_o.gif .

Though Decals are more realistisc, thge way they are worked out often dissapoints.

How do I put it... w when you shoot somebody the blood isn't limited to a little hole, it gets blown out of the body too, it comes pouring out of the bullet wound, etc. Either way, after 10 seconds you're going to have the effect of the "texture replacement" either way.

Also, I find it much more immersive if somebody falls dead before me with half his head missing, so the accuracy of decals, but the feel of the texture replacement would be awesome smile_o.gif .

you can do this with decals smile_o.gif In half life 2, if you shoot someone, not only does it make a bloody little hole but it also spills over the walls. Some games also have it so it spills over their bodies as well; it just depends on the decal. It is entirely possible to get the effect of texture replacement with decals smile_o.gif I would love to see this in ofp. Not just for blood, but it would be awesome have parallax-mapped decals that give the effect of dynamic chunks blown out of walls and vehicles like in fear. Although it is "fake", it gives a great sense of destruction and tearing something apart.

For those that don't know what I mean by parallax-mapped decals, look at this pic:

fear-20050820111551522.jpg

The chunks blown out of the wall on the right side are 2D decals smile_o.gif yet it gives a 3d effect through some clever bumpmapping-you can't tell the difference at all. this would be extremely cool to have in ofp. Imagine tanks wrecks where you can see where the rpg or shell hit them.

Also here is a good example of blood decals:

blood decals

Is that FEAR? I remember seeing that when i tried the demo and it looked like crap on some surfaces, used to simulate missile or shell hits on armor or walls would be nice but there could be complications like if you hit the same spot continuosly, anyway not something i expect in Arma and doesnt bother me all that much.

I agree that damage and bullet decals would be a good thing to have, bullet decals showing on more than just the terrain for example smile_o.gif .

sof2 comes to mind again...

I don`t remember how the system used in it was called (ghoul?) but you could chop someones legs with your gun...

Would be nice if arma had the dynamic destruction, things like those bumpapped 2d decals in fear would be possible then ind 3d..

Red Faction still has the best environment destruction system. I can't believe that nobody tried to do a better damage system in FPS so far. Red Faction also featured the bestbreaking glass animations ever. I wish ArmA had those. biggrin_o.gif

Yes, i remember in Red Faction, there was a bonus map (to show off the engine) called Glass House. There was a big construction with lots of windows, and the whole map was in a big destructable cave. I remember blowing off chucks of the ceiling and getting crushed.. Still, Red Faction sucked, and come to think of it.. the dynamic destruction wasn't as good either: it could only handle destroying EARTH, not constructions.

But back to topic:

I don't really like the texture replacement. Sometimes you can see a soldier getting hit in the head, but not getting killed, then he'd look like Death, blood all over the face, like he's had it blown off with a grenade, when really it may have been only a scratch.

I remember that bonus map. I used to love 'digging' deep underground and making my own network of caves. biggrin_o.gif

Also remember that map smile_o.gif .

Red Faction with it's Geo-Mod-Engine was cool but ArmA won't support deformable terrain.

Now back to topic smile_o.gif .

I also hope they'll change the old texture replacement system of OFP with a new decal based system for all movable objects, where you can see the point where the bullet get in and out of the material.

I read somewhere that you can now shoot through materials in ArmA...

This would add much realism to the game, imagine you drive with a jeep and someone shoot at you and you see all the bulletholes in the windshield an all over the car skin.

Or you take cover behind a tent and see all bulletholes the enemy shoot through.

I read somewhere that you can now shoot through materials in ArmA...

This info was in the one of the two czech articles translated by Lord Perth and me.