Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

Idea Games NOT publishing Armed Assault/

I think its a very risky movement form BIS, but also a nice idea, now they can do what they want without the pressure of a publisher. With the reputation of UFO and flashpoint, two top sellers games, i think they can made a nice move on games industry, i hope that more developers will follow this idea in order to lower the prices of the games and also improve the quality of it.

And the way of publishing the games maybe could be something like hl2, in one hand the internet publishing with a lower price than the other one, an agreement with a top publisher like codemasters or something, then u can choose, give your money to the publisher and have your own and beauty dvd smile_o.gif or download the game via internet and give all of your money to BIS smile_o.gif

Are they the Publisher ??  
Quote[/b] ]

IDEA Games

Offers to its members wide range of services, including legal, sales, marketing and PR servis, contract negotiations, business plan creation, representation at industry conventions and fairs.

Nothing directly states Publishing and Distribution....

help.gif Gonk

Quote[/b] ]IDEA Games

Employes game industry veterans from all three founding studios with vast experience in the field of game design and production as well as computer game sales/marketing, publishing and distribution

From the IDEA Games site. So it sounds as if they might publish it. Or do you think it's more like a game developers union?

Im pretty sure that Idea Games will be publishing this deal - perhaps with help from an organisation that are experts on that field. The whole point is, that BIS now are alot more independent from a publisher - making them focus on finishing the game and release it how they like it... The great thing is, that after years of listening to the community, their final product will probably be the same as we want.

From the Worthplaying article: It's the first time I see Slavomír Pavlícek, general manager of Cenega Publishing, mentioned as co-founder of BIS.

It's a bit sad to see that BIS has to associate with lesser partners, but I don't think this platform is meant to publish ArmA.

But IDEA will help to publish Armed Assault by sharing theire expereance in publishing other Games? huh.gif

This could also mean that Game 2 could be labeled Armed Assault 2?

hehe thats what I name for a while now it personally arma2 tounge2.gif

well but what about that grass on that shot ? smile_o.gif

But IDEA will help to publish Armed Assault by sharing theire expereance in publishing other Games?  huh.gif

I say again: IDEA is not a publisher. icon_rolleyes.gif

I wonder what this mean then:

Quote[/b] ]The point of the association is to give indie developers a better change to compete with big publishers by combining resources.

If they aren't publishing stuff, what are Idea games going to compete with publishers about... Beer drinking??

By uniting interests the developers can concentrate on the product itself while IDEA creates a platform for deals with publishers. IDEA itself does not publish stuff but it´s a united platform of game developers that conducts negotiations with publishers.

This is how I understand it.

Quote[/b] ]Offers to its members a wide range of services, including legal, sales, marketing and PR services, contract negotiations, business plan creation, representation at industry conventions and fairs.

If they arent going to publish the game themself... I think they are going to have a hard time finding a publisher that will let them do the marketing issues themself. No big publisher will let the devs have the entire control over their product as long as they have invested in the deal.

On the other hand... I still think that "Idea Games" will be doing the job of the publisher (marketing and legal issues), while they may find an actual publisher to do the production and distribution.

Before anyone else get's confused: Change the title on the thread or lock it.

Done smile_o.gif

Looks like Bals is the only one getting it so far.

No, we do get it, it's just we don't want a stupid publisher like EA or Codemasters getting their hands on ArmA, and then totally screwing it up by making BIS change lots of things. I remember Atari doing that with a game called Boiling Point, where the developers were forced to change all the real names of things in the game to stupid names, like they were forced to change AK-47 to Battle Rifle or something rediculous. They also had to remove all the real images from the game, like pictures of Che Guevera, and replace them with random photos. It totally ruined the game, and the modding community are only just starting to change osme of them back...

Quote[/b] ]Looks like Bals is the only one getting it so far.

Do I get handknitted woolsocks for christmas now ? xmas_o.gif

nothing new to see here move along smile_o.gif

marek in moby

good to see the made it official now they will have more leverage.with publishing of there games and stuff.hope the other companies have a good pr team tho :0 :P

Helluva move of BIS.

You know paradox entertainment? They publish their grand strategy games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Diplomacy...) successfully themselves. That's the way to go for publishing challenging games imho. smile_o.gif

Done smile_o.gif

Looks like Bals is the only one getting it so far.

Hey, what about me? I beat Balschoiw to the punch by about six hours. huh.gif

tounge2.gif

edit: I want the hand knitted wool socks! inlove.gif

So it is very bad news after all. Combining forces with 2 crappy companies and still no idea who will publish the game? What was the point? sad_o.gif