Sign in to follow this  
Espectro (DayZ)

Idea Games NOT publishing Armed Assault/

BIS will publish the game itself as part of a trio of computer games developers.

Check http://www.arma.dk for more info!

Well the IDEA website states that the association will provide its members with support in all areas including marketing, PR and release, thus excluding the publisher. Since BIS is part of this coallition i dont see y they wouldnt use this opportunity to see if this king of publishing would work.

WOOT - This really is super news.  Let's all celebrate; with a BANANA DANCE!!!

yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif

PS - Sorry, just had to do that... wink_o.gif

Ah well, it sure does deserve its own thread. Anyway... What I posted is more a reference to the press-note made on gameindustry.

I think its a brilliant thing... Bringing three companies experience and finances together to publish its sounds very nice. Especially now with great focus on eastern european companies. We all knows that codies did a terrible ob with the earlier games.

Yeah, I'm just glad there won't be any 'forcing out the door' of an unfinished product..

Good work BIS, good work... wink_o.gif

Hmm, the newsposter at OFP.Info doesn't seem convinced it's such a good move. Any other opinions out there?

I think it's a great move! BIS will have much more control over the marketing and timing of the games release etc., and they wont have to sell the rights to their title to some money spinning market grabber!  biggrin_o.gif

BIS are no longer in the same boat as they were 4 years ago when they were nothing more than a rookie development studio trying to make a name for themselves. Then they needed the financial support of a large publisher and were forced to make deals with them!

Now they are a financial success in their own right and perfectly capable of handling the marketing of their products the way they now feel is best for their future.

They have their experiences with Codemasters behind them, they must have learned a lot from that.  xmas_o.gif

I think it's a great move! BIS will have much more control over the marketing and timing of the games release etc., and they wont have to sell the rights to their title to some money spinning market grabber! biggrin_o.gif

BIS are no longer in the same boat as they were 4 years ago when they were nothing more than a rookie development studio trying to make a name for themselves. Then they needed the financial support of a large publisher and were forced to make deals with them!

Now they are a financial success in their own right and perfectly capable of handling the marketing of their products the way they now feel is best for their future.

They have their experiences with Codemasters behind them, they must have learned a lot from that. xmas_o.gif

Couldnt have said it better!!

Hear! hear!!

Best IDEA - and move by BIS.  Now they will have some publishing under their belt, complete control over what they make, and much more.

I could NOT have wanted it any other way.

Congrats BIS, I see things going very well in your future. I'm getting giddy about this.

Good on you...  And good luck in the future IDEA.  I hope all goes well.  

Now we should see the game made as the Programmers and Fans like it to be. And not to a level the publisher works out so not to give out too much of a good thing ... as we need to make people want to lose interest and buy a new game that we are publishing in 3 weeks...

Gonk.

Quote[/b] ]Now we should see the game made as the Programmers and Fans like it to be.

exactly. This could also mean that Game 2 could be labeled Armed Assault 2?

I also think from what i have read that it is a great idea (no pun intended). As stated codemasters didnt exactly do very well on the advertising side of things and still must have made alot of cash from just being the publishers in a game that even monkeys could have known was going to sell millions. It also gives BIS the flexability of not having some bigwig from another company breathing down their neck and having a game that is not 100% because of time limits.

Good luck to them i say wink_o.gif

BIS plans on world domination part 1 have finally started yay.gif  rofl.gif

go for it BIS, best of luck notworthy.gif

Great news, and even greater that they do it by themself in my opinion smile_o.gif

But how could BIS possibly make nearly as much money this way? This is only a small new European association that can not currently compare to the muscle of the modern mainstream publishers. They would need even more press attention then they got with Codemasters to make up for the lack of familiarity with the new name.

I dont think we can conclude BIS will publish through IDEA.  IDEA was "founded in November 2005", and the December press release for Arma states

"Publisher: To be determined".

I was very excited to see the news about this, but it will take a lot of good ideas and assistence to independent developers that goes beyond the role of a publisher, to attract significant international attention. For example, I just played Darwinia over steam, and I probably would have never heard of it otherwise. Could we trust BIS to have such a large part in self marketing, when just 3 weeks ago we had people spreading rumors on these forums that "Arma" was a myth, just because they were hearing so little?

I think IDEA games would be best off making it possible for the mod community to publish content for Arma (small fees to start), since there seems to be much more manpower and enthusiasm in the mod communities than among fully independent developers. A community content management system would absolutely have to be kept closer to the developers side of things than that of a publisher who could screw it up. But I'm going off on a tangent, I think a thread about IDEA games belongs in BI General and kept separate from Arma discussion?

Its great to see a developer trying to stay independent, but yeah, as stated above, its hard and brings some problems. Best thing one can hope is that Armed assault or whatever game is published are going to sell well, as it seems the thats the only thing BIS can rely on. Good sells definately need a good marketing, especially in america where OFP isn't really a big brand, whereas OFP is a game remembered in europe (at least in germany where mag editors still compare pretty much every new tactical shooter wirth ofp).

I hope BIS succeeds, they definately earn respect for this step, as its the best thing that could have happend to us gamers, a game which is compltely what BIS and I guess the community as well wanted. I'd pay twice the price if its to help a developer stay independent!

It's all about how they go about handling their games with the press, and adverts.  And of course if the game will be worth playing... and we all know the answer to that.

I think BIS should go nuts, and start something like GarageGames.com as well!

Are they the Publisher ??

Quote[/b] ]

IDEA Games

Offers to its members wide range of services, including legal, sales, marketing and PR servis, contract negotiations, business plan creation, representation at industry conventions and fairs.

Nothing directly states Publishing and Distribution....

help.gif Gonk

What this sounds like to me, is a way to increase their collective clout in the industry, so they have a better base to work off of when negotiating with publishing houses. Sort of Like GOD, only without the publishing side. Either way, it looks like a good move, even if I'm not such a huge fan of the other two development houses.