Sign in to follow this  
GBee

Streams and Rivers

The attempts to make rivers and lakes in OFP has been a real AI killer.

They seem to completely mess up the pathfinding currently. Unless that's improved alot rivers won't work very well.

AI has to be able to figure out how to best cross a river if they are to be in the game.

To be more clear. The BMP's swam to my side, crawled out of the water and started shooting at me. I mean, it worked how it is supposed to work i think.

Before i tried to do AI BTR landings with AI but yes, boat AI is not good. I'd say useless. But now i will try a BMP2 landing, see how the AI handles this. But i'm not sure how a BMP2 handles in rough sea:)

To be more clear. The BMP's swam to my side, crawled out of the water and started shooting at me. I mean, it worked how it is supposed to work i think.

Before i tried to do AI BTR landings with AI but yes, boat AI is not good. I'd say useless. But now i will try a BMP2 landing, see how the AI handles this. But i'm not sure how a BMP2 handles in rough sea:)

This was not really because that actually made tactical sene, it's just that the OFP AI really really dislikes bridges.

They'll do just about anything to avoid them, so BMPs will swim even if it takes half an hour. smile_o.gif

Rives and lakes were already possible in OFP...

We need water, which isn't on sealevel wink_o.gif

Even though the article doesn't say over sea level water, it's quite obvious that ArmA should have it. He says that OFP didn't support inland lakes, but ArmA will. That means that ArmA does support a kind of lake that wasn't possible in OFP, so it's most likely a lake that's over sea level.

Well, according to the articles and interviews, we will have "brand new" things like "Day-Night cycles", too. wink_o.gif

I don't want to be too pessimistic, but considering that ArmA will 'only' be a Flashpoint 1.5, I think that real rivers and lakes are a bit too big for the actual, smaller, improvements...

Anyway, I would be very delighted, if they will be ingame smile_o.gif

Do anybody here ever played in SEB Ia Trang Valley?

There is lots of user made terrains that have rivers. The only three problems I consider more important about them are:

1-AI doesn’t like bridges in OFP.

2-Map cells are too big in OFP, so is extremely difficult to do a nice looking river.

3-the water level of rivers and lakes in OFP is just exactly the same as the sea, so rivers and lakes are just cuts in the ground.

If this 3 issues are sorted or improved in ArmA I would be more than happy, hell even if is only issues 1 and 2, and I read somewhere that the map cells are going to be much smaller in ArmA than in OFP, also the AI should be much better, so there may be hope.

Regards.

@CERO.

If they have elevated water, then you should be able to have rivers. The problem I see with them programming true rivers would be dealing with changes in elevation. For example, making a river that stays at the same elevation is easy, however, when you have rivers that travel down slopes and stuff, you have a whole new set of problems to deal with when programming. I think our best bet for ArmA is water a different elevations, but you can probably make some pretty decent rivers with these. What would be really cool is MOD makers could make water locks so you could move boats from one elevation to another. This would be unlikely though since you would have to somehow have moving water or the ability to change the elevation of a single water tile.

Just keep in mind, "Right now, it is rather unlikely that rivers will find their way into Armed Assault."

i was always like if You can do various sized roads you can do "fake" rivers too ...

and from last interviews seems like streets and roads "fits" into terrain more smoothly than in previous OFP games ...

than can aid "fake" rivers /streams

why rivers / streams can't be simple similar to roads with just some additional defined features / scripting (to allow object immerse within river, differ what can float and what can't to prevent ground vehicles use it as road while water ones can), river bed (topographic datas), stream direction and strenght, attached texture and it's transparency, linked area sounds, ...) etc.