Sign in to follow this  
GAZ NZ

Alpha Specs - Hardware

What are the machine - graphic card specs being used for the alpha phase.

Any chance of a rough idea of graphics card - processor power being used for alpha testing ? or is that secret?

Also curious to know what they actually use them selves ( the game programmers) when gaming with old FP and in armed assault at this stage with current hard ware.

Does any one know?

If you cant answer thats fine, but alot of gamers out there are curious as to what they use and it may give a rough indication as to possible hardware required for AA.

Primary configuration of most of the development hardware we currently use is:

- Wide range of graphics card with Vertex/Pixel Shaders 2.0

- CPU 2 - 4 GHz

- 512 MB - 2 GB RAM

Note: this does not mean at all the required or recommended system specs will be like this. They can differ a lot in both directions.

- CPU 2 - 4 GHz

- 512 MB - 2 GB RAM

Note: this does not mean at all the required or recommended system specs will be like this. They can differ a lot in both directions.

4 GHZ/2GB? crazy_o.gif !! , you're going to calculate nuclear explosions with that or something? tounge2.gif

- CPU 2 - 4 GHz

- 512 MB - 2 GB RAM

4 GHZ/2GB? crazy_o.gif !! , you're going to calculate nuclear explosions with that or something? tounge2.gif

normal configuration for ALPHA testers tounge2.gif

I would like CPU 4GHZ + 2GB RAM - very nice powerful configuration

Very nice info!

Finally gives us an idea to the specs. I do think that the minimum specs will drop a little from 2 ghz, while they smoothen up the engine.

Fingers crossed my laptop will be able to handle it crazy_o.gif

Athlon 64 3000+, 512 ram (fine there) Geforce4 440 go.... (just realised that it has no pixel shaders and very limited vertex shaders)

Looks like i will have to either see if i can upgrade the laptops gfx card or maybe buy a new system sad_o.gif

It hurts to see, that often the most fanatic, productive and loyal OFP Fans are using the crappiest machines. It must be true love! notworthy.gif

I think 4Gig is fine... for OFP2.. but Arma?

Truely skint more like biggrin_o.gif  I did have a nice desktop system i built, but i had to sell it as i went travelling and had no storage.  This thing will do for now (o2 modelling is fine on it) until AA comes out then i will have to look at making a new machine. crazy_o.gif

How about BIS award all us 2001 (registered) guys with a nice big fat brand spanking new computer to play AA on when it arrives? whistle.gif

I don't think it's that bad, you have to plan for the future. You're playing OFP too with machines four-five times as strong as the minimal configuration (500MHz) today, and the game could still take more (ok, that's due another fact).

Does that have pixel and vertes shaders?

That? GF4mx doesnt but ti4600 does (i think).

Im leaning towards something betwean 2 and 3 gigs on CPU (if intel wink_o.gif ) and if you game on PC you should have 1 gig of ram, i dont see it being that demanding imho, should be scalable enough and very playable compared to many of the latest games out there smile_o.gif .

We will know better when release gets closer smile_o.gif .

I think those requirements would be fine.

On the average ... 3Ghz CPU and 1Gig Ram is a kind of standard for "medium" quality in AA.

Iam playing "Soldner Secret Wars" ( plz dont discuss the game now smile_o.gif ) and it has a kind of alpha version of a "dynamic destruction" with scripted destruction phases like 70 - 200 spots which can be destroyed at an building up to total destruction.

And a fact is: Nobody can play this game without having 1 Gig of ram and 2000Mhz + machines ....Radeon 9800 or equal is also standard.

And for this reason ( i got those requirements) i will upgrade pc in h1 2006. I think its worth it.

lol Albert rofl.gif

4 gig? lol! crazy_o.gif

THE ti4600 (128 ddr) does have pixel and vertex shader... It runs most games fine, though my CPU is mainly the bottleneck.

true, but i think the gf4(ti) series supports shadermodel 1.2(3) only! (gf5 supports 2.0 and gf6 & 7 support shadermodel 3.0)

so its currently not that clear which sm will be required for arma...hopefully bis won't handle the choice of sms' like ea did with bf2 and the sm 2.0 as a forced minimum requirement! fortunately suma wrote, that it hasn't been decided yet! wink_o.gif

Suma quoted this so its not deffo yet...

4GHz? Is that the rating or actual clock speed? Lol. My trusty AMD64 2.5GHz 3700 is feeling insecure...Lol.

Psh you guys think your systems are bad....i have a 1.5 ghz p4 processor and GeForce 2 (It's loud and it sucks). crazy_o.gif

I can run Half Life 2 quite decently though (with everything on low), so I think i should be OK for ArmA

I suppose it makes sense to allow for maximum effects from say a 4.0 ghz for the sake of keeping the game 'up to date' for a good while after release, but honestly I just purchased a dual core 3.0 ghz Dell, and actually their highest seed avaliable in a puter is (or was 1 week ago) 3.4 ghz, so I mean really how many folks are gonna have a 4.0 ghz puter in the next ? months before the release, I'm more less assuming that even at the lowest range of the specs given (2.0) that there would still be very good gameplay.

Wonder if Arma will use any of the features from dual core processors?

There shouldn't be any problem with those specifications that Suma wrotes.  

As I already live up on them.. hmhmm.. Thought the game industry had even better then them  wow_o.gif

Probebly they will make even low spec. users to run the game fine..

Anyone know how well this will handle ArmA?

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD A64 3200+

1GB RAM

ASUS Enforce 7800GT

Thanks guys!

Hauk

THE ti4600 (128 ddr) does have pixel and vertex shader... It runs most games fine, though my CPU is mainly the bottleneck.

Ti4xxx it's only DX8 card ... no support for PS/VS 2.0 ...

to be able run PS/VS 2.0 and above consider following cards as usable:

AGP/PCIe card ATI 9500+ and above , IGP(onboard) ATI X300 and above ...

AGP/PCIe card NVIDIA FX5xxx and above ... (but due to low performance level with 2.0 shaders on 5xxx series i suggest to assume minimally 6xxx serie as usable one) ....

IGP(onboard) NVIDIA 6xxx line

p.s. question is if Armed Assault is going to support DX 8.1 shader level (that will increase covered cards by some folds (ATI 8500 and above, all NVIDIA FX (no perf issues) and above) of course with quite less eye candy)